Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796987 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2730 on: March 06, 2020, 09:41:37 AM »
Why do old spitfires feel so damn good?
What is old for you?
Remember the F1 were crap
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2731 on: March 06, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Need help identifying this wheel brand:

All I know so far is that it is European, 52mm, 99a and probably a slim wheel.
[close]

These remind me of square wheels. But that company doesn't exist anymore. William Phan skated for them.

also any reason to post this.
[close]

That's probably it, I knew the logo looked vaguely familiar, likes it was around the Lordz (Flo Marfang, Alex Carolino, William Phan) era. Would make sense since most of the setup looks Euro.

There was another company that used that "# logo" but I can't remember. When I find time I will dig through old magazines. You have a picture from that complete set-up?
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2732 on: March 06, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

These remind me of square wheels. But that company doesn't exist anymore. William Phan skated for them.

[close]

That's probably it, I knew the logo looked vaguely familiar, likes it was around the Lordz (Flo Marfang, Alex Carolino, William Phan) era. Would make sense since most of the setup looks Euro.
[close]

There was another company that used that "# logo" but I can't remember. When I find time I will dig through old magazines. You have a picture from that complete set-up?
Can only thing about Alphanumeric
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2733 on: March 06, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
Riding 54mm conicals F4 99a wearing vulcs on my city streets my knees wanted to die today in 40° weather. I dunno, need to visit more smooth parks or something and keep it on that board

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2734 on: March 07, 2020, 04:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Can only thing about Alphanumeric

And they didn't do hardgoods either. Well, the wheels are 52mm, 99a and skinny, keen to see how they roll tomorrow.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Diocletian

« Reply #2735 on: March 08, 2020, 06:05:30 AM »
I bought some OJ’s for the first time ever, 58mm Elites Mini Combos. They say 101a, but feel less slippery than a Spitfire or Bones. They’re hard but require a bit more effort to slide. Maybe because they’re super wide? Still a nice loud chirp. I like the shape, too. One side is conical and the other side is slightly more rounded for slappies.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2736 on: March 09, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
I bought some OJ’s for the first time ever, 58mm Elites Mini Combos. They say 101a, but feel less slippery than a Spitfire or Bones. They’re hard but require a bit more effort to slide. Maybe because they’re super wide? Still a nice loud chirp. I like the shape, too. One side is conical and the other side is slightly more rounded for slappies.

Could you run them with the graphic faced in? I realize it might not be beneficial but was always curious.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2737 on: March 09, 2020, 11:08:56 PM »
seconded. are conical wheels meant to be rode graphics out? are there even pros/cons for that?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2738 on: March 10, 2020, 07:30:04 AM »
seconded. are conical wheels meant to be rode graphics out? are there even pros/cons for that?
Conicals are symmetrical, unlike lock ins, so I don't think that there is any cons about where the graphic is.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Diocletian

« Reply #2739 on: March 10, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Could you run them with the graphic faced in? I realize it might not be beneficial but was always curious.

The main graphic side is the conical side. The side that is mostly blank with just the Elites logo on it is the slightly rounded side. I suppose you could do whatever you’d like.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2740 on: March 10, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
kinda embarrassed to say this but the wheel graphic might get me to try these
[close]

Always been an AB fan, especially the dual duros. The ABS (back in the day) was real grippy.  I'm after the Torus Dual Duro tho.  Not for sale anywhere yet tho.

I remember running Dual Duros back in the day and really enjoying them. I'll probably pick up another set once they become more readily available.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2741 on: March 11, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Reminds me of of the wheels darkstar was doing for a while. I liked them.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2742 on: March 11, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
There an instagram account where this dude makes his own skate wheels. I saw something interesting, He was measuring duros on a bunch of wheels and he did a 60mm classic Full which came out to be 97d. I don't know much about the scales but it makes me wonder what duro spitfires really are. His name is @skatewheel_maker

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2743 on: March 11, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
There an instagram account where this dude makes his own skate wheels. I saw something interesting, He was measuring duros on a bunch of wheels and he did a 60mm classic Full which came out to be 97d. I don't know much about the scales but it makes me wonder what duro spitfires really are. His name is @skatewheel_maker
I think he uses the A range
And I thought F4's felt a lil soft. Finally got to try some

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #2744 on: March 11, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think he uses the A range
And I thought F4's felt a lil soft. Finally got to try some

well on their website they just say Duro which is D scale? So does that mean 99's are really 97?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2745 on: March 11, 2020, 10:43:20 AM »
well on their website they just say Duro which is D scale? So does that mean 99's are really 97?

The A scale only goes up to 100.  Testing it is inaccurate over about 95a.  Skate wheels really shouldn't be measured in the A scale because of this - but that's what we are accustomed to.  101a, 103a, 104a...  all marketing terms because they are not measurable on the A scale.   

The tester indents the wheel, and the measurement dependins how far it goes in. At 100, it doesn't go in.   Above 95, it goes in such a small amount that it isn't really accurate.

This guy tested it and it came to 97A, but...  that may or may not be accurate, and doesn't really correlate to other wheels that may be marketed as 97A.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #2746 on: March 11, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The A scale only goes up to 100.  Testing it is inaccurate over about 95a.  Skate wheels really shouldn't be measured in the A scale because of this - but that's what we are accustomed to.  101a, 103a, 104a...  all marketing terms because they are not measurable on the A scale.   

The tester indents the wheel, and the measurement dependins how far it goes in. At 100, it doesn't go in.   Above 95, it goes in such a small amount that it isn't really accurate.

This guy tested it and it came to 97A, but...  that may or may not be accurate, and doesn't really correlate to other wheels that may be marketed as 97A.
Ok, well im confused, so basically we could never tell what they actually are but due to marketing hype they are harder than other wheels?

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #2747 on: March 11, 2020, 11:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ok, well im confused, so basically we could never tell what they actually are but due to marketing hype they are harder than other wheels?

Unless you get a set from a brand that uses the B scale (Bones, etc), then yes. A scale is used for marketing because it's what everyone knows.

Durometer doesn't matter too much when it comes to hard wheels imo, it's about the formula. It's why Spitfire Classics 99a ride differently than Spitfire F4 99a, and Spitfire F4 99a ride differently than Bones STF 99a.

satan

« Reply #2748 on: March 11, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »
That durometer tester should still be accurate at the ends of its scale, to 99a. 101+ would all read as 100a
It's not gonna be like a cheap bathroom scale and read all wonky at the ends of its range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer
C scale seems like it'd be better for comparing to A
97d seems like it'd be insanely hard. 180-190a?

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/comparative-durometers/

https://www.elbex-us.com/sites/default/files/Durometer_0.pdf
https://www.mechanicalrubber.com/elastomericsolutions/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Durometer-Conversion-Table.pdf

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2749 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
That durometer tester should still be accurate at the ends of its scale, to 99a. 101+ would all read as 100a
It's not gonna be like a cheap bathroom scale and read all wonky at the ends of its range.

"Hardnesses above 95 on the A scale should not be specified because the upper accuracy limit of the instrument is being approached. Accuracy at the lower end of the D scale is also limiting and values below 25D are questionable."

https://moldeddimensions.com/durometer-hardness.php

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2750 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »
My father has a durometer and these wheels I got super cheap from TGM that were supposed to be 99a were either 93 or 94 when I checked them. They felt super soft. My f4 99s came up as 98

these are the cheap wheels wayyy off in hardness

trash. And I figured it was really all similar and just as good as typical wheels with their logo.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #2751 on: March 12, 2020, 05:47:44 AM »
Ok so 99 spitfires are actually 97

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2752 on: March 12, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
These popped up on my local Craigslist for $10.   I have never seen Slimeball 95a.   Are these fake?  Did they come on a budget board?  Anyone seen something like this?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #2753 on: March 12, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
These popped up on my local Craigslist for $10.   I have never seen Slimeball 95a.   Are these fake?  Did they come on a budget board?  Anyone seen something like this?

Most likely came from a Santa Cruz prebuilt

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2754 on: March 12, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »

Most likely came from a Santa Cruz prebuilt

Looks like a $79 zumiez complete.

satan

« Reply #2755 on: March 12, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"Hardnesses above 95 on the A scale should not be specified because the upper accuracy limit of the instrument is being approached. Accuracy at the lower end of the D scale is also limiting and values below 25D are questionable."

https://moldeddimensions.com/durometer-hardness.php
This was too long winded to get to before last night's skate, rain was coming..
Tbh, I think we're gonna need a materials or chem engr or something to solve this. If only Big Cat would appear..
I know what you're saying and maybe it's back to using a spring for measuring?
Idk. Maybe something to do with bending/denting the urethane vs piercing it like the B scale does?
Seems like just the skin on new vs old wheels might affect things. Even leftover mold release with piercing.
And realistically, if they can't test that duro, then they'd have trouble labeling it for sale. I'm not talking about skate wheels, I mean industrial stuff.

If you're just saying it'd be better to test 99a wheels on a different scale then I agree with you.
I'd prefer C scale cuz it doesn't pierce. But since the load is crazy high it might not work for 70-80a stuff?
A third tier of middle load scales would be nice.
Piercing the material seems like it could be affected by how easily that material tears.

https://www.ptc1.com/Durometer-A-408
Check out specs and look at the force curve graph
To me that says if there's difficulty measuring the extreme ends of the range it's not because of the accuracy of the tester.
I'm thinking issues with the material or even that the math used makes the ends of the range less accurate.

https://www.ptc1.com/DurometerHardnessChart
But here they say to use B scale testers for above 90a, below 20d

https://www.ptc1.com/Durometer-Test-Stands
They can be used handheld.. just pointing out a possible source of error in that insta pic

https://urethaneusa.com/resources/what-is-durometer/
95a industrial urethane

**edit
I got a chance to try F4's and OJ elites?
Old, worn, super-wide conical full F4's felt a lil softer than my classic classics.. Slide was WAY better! Almost shot out on the first one, 2nd one I pushed harder and it got away from me. Was even able to eek out a slow speed bs powerslide. Setup was also super surf so that might have added to it..
Slippery but quiet compared to classic formula. I think it'd take me a few days to get used to them.

Only got to check out the OJ's for a sec. I think they were 101a hardline elite whatever.
Hard, harder than classics but not crazy jarring old F1 101a. Seemed pretty fast.
Slid nice.. Lil bit of a bark, more controlled than F4's above. Broke into a slide more easily than classics.

Classics..
Wow. Grippy compared to more modern formulas. I'm liking them again since the weather warmed up.
Below 50*f they start getting too grippy, 40*f they bark like a goose. But I'm over skating in weather that cold.

How do you guys with multiple setups deal with riding F4's and Classic formulas? Seems like it'd be tough to go back and forth.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:57:49 PM by satan »

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #2756 on: March 13, 2020, 06:05:36 AM »
What are the best slim wheels or just the slimmest overall decent wheel? I have had stf v2s before and they were pretty skinny which I liked, but I prefer f4s. Maybe even sml or dialtone? Just any ideas for slimmer wheels
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:36:25 AM by os89 »

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #2757 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
What are the best slim wheels or just the slimmest overall decent wheel? I have had stf v2s before and they were pretty skinny which I liked, but I prefer f4s. Maybe even sml or dialtone? Just any ideas for slimmer wheels
Radial slims or classics.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2758 on: March 13, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »

I'm towards the end of my v2s and got the f4 tablets for my next wheel.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2759 on: March 13, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

How do you guys with multiple setups deal with riding F4's and Classic formulas? Seems like it'd be tough to go back and forth.

Classic for indoor and slippery winter spots. F4s any time else. Takes a session or two to adjust. Really like the classics, they are just a little slower and wear faster than F4s otherwise I'd be on them full time.