Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796920 times)

bombsaway86, boneless900, yourbreakfsat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 346
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7410 on: January 31, 2024, 08:36:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's been funny to see how many kids will show up to my local indoor with their worn down bearing condom spits that are 99-101a and slipping around so bad, only to go into the shop and come back out with some fresh dragons and able to actually skate. Heck, it's what I'm ridin'. I was gonna try the x97/x99 but there's still moments where I almost slip out even on these dragons, so they wont be coming off til winter is over. Definitely get that gummy stick on metal coping when I try to maintain a long stand up grind in the bowl and don't stay perfectly center or crosslock it, but I'll take that trade off since I can actually enjoy indoor sessions now. I do think those x97s are gonna be the perfect sweet spot for the outdoors and possibly my new fav wheel.
[close]
They're my "set it and forget it" wheel - works for 90% of the stuff I skate which are parks with shitty concrete and street (asphalt, cobblestone).
[close]

Hell yeah. As much as I love Spitfire, I honestly think Bones might have actually beaten F4's in each respective durometer on the scale for market offerings with these new dragon and x-formulas. At least in terms of performance, I think spitfire has better shapes for sure though. Did you try the x99?
[close]

Not fully, pushed around on a friend's board with X99 during a park session, harder but not chattery.

Bones' marketing has a lot to catch up on, Spitfire's quarterly catalog is more vibrant and eye catching despite always releasing Classics.
[close]

classics are the best shape tho

i think these x97s, that i just purchased, are v1s. shape looks nice.
has a chain graphic that would not have looked out of place on a rogue status stars n straps model.
i mean its gotta come back around. seen some von dutch. just a matter of time and that bones graphic on the lower 3rd of the t shirt is gonna hit

Lol, those are the exact ones I'm gonna get, in 54mm. I'll definitely be acetoning that shitty graphic off for sure. I love fatty wheels like radial fulls but at the end of the day I think I've learned the classic round shape just...works. If they released the x97 in that "fatties" shape which is even a bit beefier than a classic full, that would be amazing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7411 on: January 31, 2024, 11:14:17 PM »
V6 x99 (or x97 if that's your pleasure), especially at 54mm+, should not be discounted. Barge wheel.

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #7412 on: January 31, 2024, 11:42:30 PM »
X99 V5 in 54 or 55mm has quickly become my go to wheel. There's no perfect all around wheel, but these check a lot of boxes.

That said, if they released an X101, I'd definitely be very, very interested.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 03:31:51 AM by rikki »

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7413 on: February 01, 2024, 03:13:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's been funny to see how many kids will show up to my local indoor with their worn down bearing condom spits that are 99-101a and slipping around so bad, only to go into the shop and come back out with some fresh dragons and able to actually skate. Heck, it's what I'm ridin'. I was gonna try the x97/x99 but there's still moments where I almost slip out even on these dragons, so they wont be coming off til winter is over. Definitely get that gummy stick on metal coping when I try to maintain a long stand up grind in the bowl and don't stay perfectly center or crosslock it, but I'll take that trade off since I can actually enjoy indoor sessions now. I do think those x97s are gonna be the perfect sweet spot for the outdoors and possibly my new fav wheel.
[close]
They're my "set it and forget it" wheel - works for 90% of the stuff I skate which are parks with shitty concrete and street (asphalt, cobblestone).
[close]

Hell yeah. As much as I love Spitfire, I honestly think Bones might have actually beaten F4's in each respective durometer on the scale for market offerings with these new dragon and x-formulas. At least in terms of performance, I think spitfire has better shapes for sure though. Did you try the x99?
[close]

Not fully, pushed around on a friend's board with X99 during a park session, harder but not chattery.

Bones' marketing has a lot to catch up on, Spitfire's quarterly catalog is more vibrant and eye catching despite always releasing Classics.
[close]

classics are the best shape tho

i think these x97s, that i just purchased, are v1s. shape looks nice.
has a chain graphic that would not have looked out of place on a rogue status stars n straps model.
i mean its gotta come back around. seen some von dutch. just a matter of time and that bones graphic on the lower 3rd of the t shirt is gonna hit
[close]

Lol, those are the exact ones I'm gonna get, in 54mm. I'll definitely be acetoning that shitty graphic off for sure. I love fatty wheels like radial fulls but at the end of the day I think I've learned the classic round shape just...works. If they released the x97 in that "fatties" shape which is even a bit beefier than a classic full, that would be amazing.

Yes that "fatties" shape is great. Think it's V4? They seem to be forgoing it for V6 these days, esp with the latest X formula wheels. It is basically a classic full. I have some old Schroeder 62mm V4 SPF's that will never die.

Yesterday to experiment I went back to the CF F4 99a that I used to ride at my local. They really felt "dead" and cumbersome. After 30 min switched back to X99. They work better for me for any situation besides the slick bowls when my poor form warrants OJ Elite.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7414 on: February 01, 2024, 03:16:45 AM »
X99 V5 in 54 or 55mm has quickly become my go to wheel. There's no perfect all around wheel, but these check a lot of boxes.

That said, if they released a X101, I'd definitely be very, very interested.

I enquired with Bones around a X101 out of interest. No plans as yet..

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #7415 on: February 01, 2024, 03:37:22 AM »
Yesterday to experiment I went back to the CF F4 99a that I used to ride at my local. They really felt "dead" and cumbersome. After 30 min switched back to X99. They work better for me for any situation besides the slick bowls when my poor form warrants OJ Elite.

Yeah, it's funny how "dead" really is a good word to (at least partly) describe the feeling of going back to normal hard wheels after X99. I've grown to really like their nice rebound, combined with the fact that my feet feel less sore after a long sesh on them.

Plus, funnily enough, when I recently switched back to OJ Elite 99s for one session after being on X99s for some time now, my ollie/pop somehow went to shit for a while. I mean, what gives? Does wheel rebound affect one's ollie? I was surprised to say the least.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #7416 on: February 01, 2024, 07:06:16 AM »
I wish the V6 shape came in a 58 or 60 purely from an aesthetic standpoint. The 58 V5s I have right now work perfectly well but I’ve always liked a big fat wheel and they’re missing out on the fat aspect.

Maybe I just need to slide them down a little more to round them out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7417 on: February 01, 2024, 07:08:52 AM »
I wish the V6 shape came in a 58 or 60 purely from an aesthetic standpoint. The 58 V5s I have right now work perfectly well but I’ve always liked a big fat wheel and they’re missing out on the fat aspect.

Good luck wearing these down, they last forever!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Oog

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7418 on: February 01, 2024, 08:00:41 AM »
Not trying to hate, jut trying to understand but I get confused by everyone saying they can skate longer with the various dragon/xwhaterver wheels. Do your feet actually hurt from the vibrations of a skateboard? I have lived on the east coast my whole life and skate some fairly rough ground but I have never really experienced this. What kind of ground are you guys skating?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #7419 on: February 01, 2024, 08:43:37 AM »
Anybody who’s been on the x99s for a while, how do they compare to F4 99 for park/bowl skating. I’m specifically interested if the x99s are as fast and if they slide/revert as well as F4s

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7420 on: February 01, 2024, 09:36:50 AM »

Just for anybody who might need it: V5 and CF, both 53mm
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #7421 on: February 01, 2024, 09:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good luck wearing these down, they last forever!

Exactly what I was scared of hearing, foiled again by Bones Incorporated

pops

• Rep: 250
« Reply #7422 on: February 01, 2024, 01:15:29 PM »
Not trying to hate, jut trying to understand but I get confused by everyone saying they can skate longer with the various dragon/xwhaterver wheels. Do your feet actually hurt from the vibrations of a skateboard? I have lived on the east coast my whole life and skate some fairly rough ground but I have never really experienced this. What kind of ground are you guys skating?

I skate mostly parking lots that are asphalt. The ground smoothness varies a lot. And yes, the softer duro wheels have helped me to skate longer because they dampen vibrations. My feet are less achy and less tired. I noticed I could go forvever with 78s, with 93s I can skate longer than say F4 97/99 but I like harder wheels on smooth park surface and mini ramps.

Jackismydogsname

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #7423 on: February 01, 2024, 02:10:40 PM »

Currently in rural Arizona, raked concrete and roads from the gold rush. I have upmost respect for the east coast weathered rough, the only thing "smooth" near me is the highway. It's not my feet but overall body just gets more joy rolling around on dragons, even my teeth feel better! I would be on 101a and separate designated cruiser when move back to Phoenix.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7424 on: February 01, 2024, 09:13:27 PM »

Just for anybody who might need it: V5 and CF, both 53mm

this was the exact post i was looking for after catching up on the last few pages, ty

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #7425 on: February 02, 2024, 09:18:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone has experience using Powell Dragons (or the Bones equivalent) as filmer wheels?

I'm going on a trip and don't want to have to bring two setups/sets of wheels and it sounds like these would be a pretty decent option for both skating and filming. I'm just not sure if they're smooth and quiet enough to be comparable to something like a Spitfire cruiser wheel that I usually would film with, but assume they're quieter than a normal F4 or something.
[close]

They are generally quiet, depending on the terrain of course. On smooth surfaces they are pretty much dead silent. Some noise on rougher ground, but nothing like normal hard wheels. I'd say go with Dragons.

A little off topic now, but I ended up riding a set of 54mm Dragons on this trip and as much as I was hoping I'd love them, I did not. They were great as a replacement for having both a normal setup and a filmer board, but it just felt kind of like a shitty version of both. A bit too loud and small for filming (probably just because I'm used to a monster truck filmer board) and too soft and..."springy sounding" for a regular board (I'm used to small heavily used F4s).

Was kinda hoping I'd love them and just ride these wheels forever, but unfortunately it's not for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7426 on: February 02, 2024, 12:12:45 PM »

Honestly you really have to have been paying attention to your skating/body both before during and after with your normal duro and the x-formula.

As an Eastcoaster (NY/NYC) I've skated my fair share and I would have KILLED for these wheels back in the day...the sheer amount of spots that would have been opened up is crazy.

Some places are just chattery, you know? or have rough spots here and there...landings, even flat or ledges, overtime (during the session / weekly or whatever amount you skate) you'll find that your feet/calves/knees, wherever YOU feel normally feel the fatigue, has lessened. Even pushing is easier on the body, no more extra focus on the front foot when pushing through shit; obviously things like muscles used to push (quads) or crouching (quads) to ollie or flick are not getting any benefit and will still feel sore.

Running on asphalt vs the beach or soft (even grade) trails, cushy insoles vs flat hard ones, it's all going to have an effect.

For me it's the knees, on 103s/99s vs x97/x99s I can almost double my skating time these days; 2hrs is usually the max on mixed terrain with other wheels x99s and I'm still the one skating when the crew have quit for the day, where I would usually be the one done sooner; and I've got years on them age-wise.

All that shit aside, once you get used to the easy of skating/vibration reduction is fucking hard going back, you have to really want to or need to (bluntslides for me) to ride other wheels.

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 118
« Reply #7427 on: February 02, 2024, 12:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly you really have to have been paying attention to your skating/body both before during and after with your normal duro and the x-formula.

As an Eastcoaster (NY/NYC) I've skated my fair share and I would have KILLED for these wheels back in the day...the sheer amount of spots that would have been opened up is crazy.

Some places are just chattery, you know? or have rough spots here and there...landings, even flat or ledges, overtime (during the session / weekly or whatever amount you skate) you'll find that your feet/calves/knees, wherever YOU feel normally feel the fatigue, has lessened. Even pushing is easier on the body, no more extra focus on the front foot when pushing through shit; obviously things like muscles used to push (quads) or crouching (quads) to ollie or flick are not getting any benefit and will still feel sore.

Running on asphalt vs the beach or soft (even grade) trails, cushy insoles vs flat hard ones, it's all going to have an effect.

For me it's the knees, on 103s/99s vs x97/x99s I can almost double my skating time these days; 2hrs is usually the max on mixed terrain with other wheels x99s and I'm still the one skating when the crew have quit for the day, where I would usually be the one done sooner; and I've got years on them age-wise.

All that shit aside, once you get used to the easy of skating/vibration reduction is fucking hard going back, you have to really want to or need to (bluntslides for me) to ride other wheels.

Biggest downside for me, thats why i changed to x97

Jackismydogsname

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7428 on: February 02, 2024, 01:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone has experience using Powell Dragons (or the Bones equivalent) as filmer wheels?

I'm going on a trip and don't want to have to bring two setups/sets of wheels and it sounds like these would be a pretty decent option for both skating and filming. I'm just not sure if they're smooth and quiet enough to be comparable to something like a Spitfire cruiser wheel that I usually would film with, but assume they're quieter than a normal F4 or something.
[close]
[close]

A little off topic now, but I ended up riding a set of 54mm Dragons on this trip and as much as I was hoping I'd love them, I did not. They were great as a replacement for having both a normal setup and a filmer board, but it just felt kind of like a shitty version of both. A bit too loud and small for filming (probably just because I'm used to a monster truck filmer board) and too soft and..."springy sounding" for a regular board (I'm used to small heavily used F4s).

Was kinda hoping I'd love them and just ride these wheels forever, but unfortunately it's not for me.

I think the end conclusion for us is start having 3 completes.  ;D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7429 on: February 02, 2024, 01:18:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm hovering at two right now...a long WB board with rails, wide trucks, 54mm x97s, it's 'the curb' board, without being an unruly ugly floppingflips shaped curb board and a more tech/plaza board (shorter wb, small 101 classics, ventures; tho I could get away with x99s here).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7430 on: February 02, 2024, 02:36:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm hovering at two right now...a long WB board with rails, wide trucks, 54mm x97s, it's 'the curb' board, without being an unruly ugly floppingflips shaped curb board and a more tech/plaza board (shorter wb, small 101 classics, ventures; tho I could get away with x99s here).

haven’t tried x99s, but small 101 classics, in the perfect circumstances, seems like such a pleasant, luxurious experience.
wrong circumstances and i’d want to go home. immediately.
but some decent brick!? i love it

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7431 on: February 02, 2024, 05:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

haven’t tried x99s, but small 101 classics, in the perfect circumstances, seems like such a pleasant, luxurious experience.

After being back on 103s stfs /101a spits for close to two weeks (about a week each), I'm struggling to enjoy the x97s / x99s except on the most crustyliscious of spots...everything feels dead and slow after...however skating to the spots is a different story....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7432 on: February 02, 2024, 05:55:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

After being back on 103s stfs /101a spits for close to two weeks (about a week each), I'm struggling to enjoy the x97s / x99s except on the most crustyliscious of spots...everything feels dead and slow after...however skating to the spots is a different story....

as everyone here has read me whine about, so many times: venture lo’s = 51s = walking to the spot. and when i’m at ‘the spot’ it is just me, an old man, bailing flatground trick attempts….well, that starts to feel a little bleak. the ride to the spot is more the thing.
i do not have high hopes for these 52 x97s. i’ll know this weekend.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7433 on: February 02, 2024, 06:09:18 PM »
Tried sone Spitfire sapphires at the park today and was pleasantly surprised. Dude had them and was pretty into them. I only rolled around a bit and did a couple of 180s slides but they felt unique in a good way. Soft but not gummy and held their speed. He said he dug them on shit surfaces also. Pretty sure, nose/ tail/ blunt sidles would be pretty hard do to slide on them...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7434 on: February 11, 2024, 06:06:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

as everyone here has read me whine about, so many times: venture lo’s = 51s = walking to the spot. and when i’m at ‘the spot’ it is just me, an old man, bailing flatground trick attempts….well, that starts to feel a little bleak. the ride to the spot is more the thing.

turns outs the 52 x97s are pretty alright!
the white is decent, not cheap wheel white, not potato brown.
i like the v1 shape.
wheelbite with the lo’s is pretty savage
the formula is really decent: little backside 180 guerrero slides can be the eject button with soft wheels, these do fine. i only skated them flatground, and they did take some of the sting out of the session, which is very welcomed.
i did let myself get talked into setting them up
graphics out, by the punk-ass 5 year old i was hanging with, but that’s on me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7435 on: February 12, 2024, 04:37:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i like the v1 shape.
the formula is really decent: little backside 180 guerrero slides can be the eject button with soft wheels, these do fine. i only skated them flatground, and they did take some of the sting out of the session, which is very welcomed.

Nice, enjoy them!

I setup my black 54mm V6 x99s again, coming off white x99s and damn, the black x99s are so much harder feeling than the white x99s, either that or I'm crazy...they def feel harder than spit 99s as well...super weird.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7436 on: February 12, 2024, 04:55:10 PM »
I’m rocking some old beige conical 99F4s. I got 3 X formula wheels on ice I’d like to try as soon as I’m done with this deck. V6 97 and 99. It’s rough as hell anywhere outside the park here. I’m impatiently waiting to try the softer duro to see if it really makes skating rough terrain feel smooth(er).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7437 on: February 12, 2024, 06:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i like the v1 shape.
[close]

Nice, enjoy them!

I setup my black 54mm V6 x99s again, coming off white x99s and damn, the black x99s are so much harder feeling than the white x99s, either that or I'm crazy...they def feel harder than spit 99s as well...super weird.

black wheels look sick tho.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7438 on: February 12, 2024, 06:41:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i like the v1 shape.
[close]

Nice, enjoy them!

[close]

Gleaming the cube told us that the black wheels are a rougher but faster ride. Yahboe or whatever his name was said it when he hooked up the board that me and my friends hated.
So must be idk tho.

I do know I'm on the right wheel again. I guess conical 58s 97a are also my shit. I had 56s in 2016. Different duro tjo. Way faster grinds than the radial but they're both dope af.

Very very happy rn. Except the fuckin snow storm that's about to hit. Sigh
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7439 on: February 12, 2024, 09:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i like the v1 shape.
[close]

Nice, enjoy them!

[close]

[close]

Gleaming the cube told us that the black wheels are a rougher but faster ride. Yahboe or whatever his name was said it when he hooked up the board that me and my friends hated.
So must be idk tho.

I do know I'm on the right wheel again. I guess conical 58s 97a are also my shit. I had 56s in 2016. Different duro tjo. Way faster grinds than the radial but they're both dope af.

Very very happy rn. Except the fuckin snow storm that's about to hit. Sigh

i was super stoked on the idea of setting up some extra rad board.
but then what they setup was a little….movie was great tho.