Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90079 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1020 on: March 30, 2023, 05:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Because I do...jezzus...What does it matter if I do or not?

Seriously, ask yourself if my opinion really matters to you.

The OP looked at your opinion, and mine, and will make his own choice.

FFS man, you always have to be right, get over yourself.

OP has the smaller wheels and 149s, everything will work fine on an 8.25...which is one of the mentioned targets...people get new decks ALL THE TIME. Tell me, how do you know it won't gel for him?
[close]

Damn, touched a nerve there. Usually an adult that has an opinion has a reason for it. Being an adult myself and a curious one that tries to learn from others, I was interested in some sort of logic I had considered. It's not a matter of right or wrong. I think in an analytic or scientific way because that's how my brain works hence the 1 variable at a time so you don't have any impact from covariance, but I realize others take different approaches to simple stuff and it's interesting to hear about and consider being less anal retentive myself. Other opinions do matter.

Now saying you don't agree then going on some random tangent without any explanation makes you seem like you're disagreeing just to be a pain in the ass. Not to actually add any value to any discussion.

Gateway issue borked my replies...

Anyway, as an adult you should:

Stop making everything about you.
Agree to disagree.
Stop making on the spectrum excuses

I challenge your OCD to not argue this comment/have to squeak in the last word and realize I'm fucking with you EVERY.TIME. You fucking Kook (also, please neg me, I hope it makes you feel better).

You are so entertaining.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1021 on: March 30, 2023, 05:22:50 PM »
I’m trying to figure out why my favorite decks have been from PS Stix. It’s weird, my Indys seemingly turn better on this Pizza deck. Could it be the flatter concave? Feels like I have more room to work with.

I don't think you are alone, there's a bunch of us that prefer the flatter stuff; only recently did I realize that's my preference. Was skating a china made disorder (was hoping it was PS but nope) and it's so comfortable and flag (nose is too long at 7.125 and shovel-like). I setup a SC board to compare and it was gross...steep...and I felt like I was on rails.

Just setup a Girl with visibly less concave (than the disorder) but the kicks are a tad steeper.

Stepped foot on a Welcome board the other day and it felt nice and flat.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1022 on: March 30, 2023, 05:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m trying to figure out why my favorite decks have been from PS Stix. It’s weird, my Indys seemingly turn better on this Pizza deck. Could it be the flatter concave? Feels like I have more room to work with.
[close]

I don't think you are alone, there's a bunch of us that prefer the flatter stuff; only recently did I realize that's my preference. Was skating a china made disorder (was hoping it was PS but nope) and it's so comfortable and flag (nose is too long at 7.125 and shovel-like). I setup a SC board to compare and it was gross...steep...and I felt like I was on rails.

Just setup a Girl with visibly less concave (than the disorder) but the kicks are a tad steeper.

Stepped foot on a Welcome board the other day and it felt nice and flat.

I’ll only ride DLX III/IV stamped. I like flatter feel, too.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1023 on: March 30, 2023, 06:52:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I had a Baker 8.25 recently with both Indy FH and Thunders. Hated it on the FH- the mild concave made the pop feel too light especially on the nose. Thunders felt better on it for sure. I think an Indy standard or Venture might be best for me for that deck as the heaviness would balance out nice.
[close]

I don't want a too heavy board with too heavy pop (I'm skating right now with ventures 5.2 high raws.. some tricks are a battle for me, sometimes I feel like I'm not in control of my board and having to make a superhuman effort without ease!) But I hate a board that is too light.. I had the 147 Thunder, with 8 or 8.125, and too light.. it earned me an ankle injury (360 flip that turned too much )

The 148 really appeals to me because I really want to switch to 8.25 later.. Do they really have a pop with a light sensation ? That might be cool for a wide board like 8.25 if that's the case ! I also want to be more stable to work on my manuals, it's horrible with the 5.2 high raws! I don't know how John dilo does haha

For 148, I also trust Ben degros for the fact that these are "goodilocks" trucks ! The only thing that scares me is with my height and shoe size (5.7 and 8 foot size), but I don't think that's a big factor and prevents me from performing tricks..  ???

For me the long, pointy, mellow nose and a light feeling truck made the nose hit too quick or i ghosted stuff cuz my timing was off. For me FH Indy feel really light due to the wheelbase and weight and it just made the nose worse and pop too fast for my old ass to keep up. Thunder Team were better so I'd suspect I'd like Venture the most or Indy Standard the most as I have on Bakers in the past.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1024 on: March 31, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »
My madness may have reached an all time low. I had some Pizza decks that got canceled from The Drop. Brand sucks, but I love that shape. Anyway, went to their website and saw them, but they charge like $20 to ship. Said naw, and then switched my current setup back to this 8.5 FA.

Even though I loved that Pizza shape, I don’t want to get hooked on something that will be hard to obtain. With the FA, you can walk into most shops and find them, or order online. With some of these brands you have to jump through hoops to find the shape and woodshop. I prefer PS Stix, but it seems like they’re slowly being replaced by BBS.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 09:11:07 AM by OhioGuy »

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1025 on: March 31, 2023, 07:07:49 PM »
I'm currently suffering some internal truck madness. I'm currently going back and forth between 139 and 144 FH Indys with 53-54 mm Classics on 8.125-8.25 boards. I feel too high up, especially with steeper boards. I want to try something lower.

I gave Thunder 147s a shot (again) last year, but I just can't get Thunders to feel right for me.

I want to try Indy Mids or Ace Lows with risers.

How bad is the kingpin clearance if you swap Indy Mid hangers onto forged plates? I think I recall seeing in another thread that it wasn't great. Worse or same as Thunder 147s?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1026 on: March 31, 2023, 07:43:00 PM »
I'm currently suffering some internal truck madness. I'm currently going back and forth between 139 and 144 FH Indys with 53-54 mm Classics on 8.125-8.25 boards. I feel too high up, especially with steeper boards. I want to try something lower.

I gave Thunder 147s a shot (again) last year, but I just can't get Thunders to feel right for me.

How bad is the kingpin clearance if you swap Indy Mid hangers onto forged plates? I think I recall seeing in another thread that it wasn't great. Worse or same as Thunder 147s?

I did a mix and match comparison and although it still sits just under the line of the hanger, if you do a lot of feeble or smith type grinds, you are probably going to grind it down some.

Mid hangers on standard or forged plates give much the same clearance as earlier stage Indy trucks, which for some is just not worth it, but for others, they can make it work well enough to not have to worry about it.

My old Indy trucks used to get pretty worn so the kingpin nut was getting smashed, or as I worked out to use a lower top bushing, I could get the nut down lower and have better clearance, but either tightening things down a lot or cutting down a top bushing is not for everyone, along with angle grinding down the kingpin as well, just to reduce the catch factor.

Even just running the Indy Mids stock or at least with whatever bushings you choose and the inverted kingpin tightened right down should give you a better ride than a mix and match option.

Using a more mellow deck definitely helped when things felt too tall, but again finding a more mellow board, or flattening out a deck is a bit of work and sometimes not worth it for some people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1027 on: March 31, 2023, 07:47:41 PM »

Thunder 147s are rad. But…coming from Indy they’d feel less rad (thunders are lower, significantly, turn very quickly/shallow, and wheelbite a lot).
The kingpin clearance isn’t great on the 147s.

If you liked Indys, and wanted to try thunders, the cast baseplate would probably be better, and 148s better still. 148s are, I think, 52mm, which is close to the indy forged height, but for me, the thunder axle position lends a quicker pop.

If you are into Indys, and the turn, ace have arguably (is it?) a better turn, and are lower. The lows are lower yet. I haven’t tried the lows, but it’s basically a matter of time until I do…haven’t seen anyone crushing it on them, otherwise I’d probably already own em. Anyways, to me, ace seems like the easiest change, from Indy.

Haven’t tried the Indy mids. Don’t recall anyone being super stoked on them, on slap, but that doesn’t mean much (apologies to the collective it’s just that…we might be too fickle). I think the mids, from my reading here, were a series of compromises that didn’t hit. Hopefully someone that loves them chimes in tho.

Indys, have a…I’ve never been super into em, and I dunno why. The problem is me, and most likely my contrarian nature, and Indy’s have been the standard for quite a minute. I think because they are so balanced in their geo/attributes, they don’t shine in any one way, so I’m just kinda whatever about them.
Most people like them on steep boards, but my favorite indy setups were on flat boards, with lots of fingers of flat. But. I also just like really flat boards, with lots of fingers of flat.

Maybe you can try just using smaller wheels for a little bit?

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1028 on: March 31, 2023, 09:06:08 PM »
I appreciate the suggestions.

I still have the Thunder 147 casts so maybe I'll give them a go again with some 1/16 risers. I've found they have a strange twitchiness I haven't been able to stick with long enough to get used to.

And I do have some 52 mm Radial Slims that are probably 51s or 50s that I can play around with to get my setup lower.

I was a straight Venture guy in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s before hopping on Indy Stage 9s and 10s. Over the last few years I've bounced back and forth between Indy 11s and Venture with the odd week or so on Thunder (unsuccessfully) here and there.

The best I've objectively skated was probably on forged Indy Stage 10s. I don't recall the kingpin clearance being an issue at the time. Curiosity will probably get the better of me and I'll probably try the Indy Mid hangers.

Those Ace Lows are tempting though. But trying a new truck brand might be the last thing I need right now.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
« Reply #1029 on: April 01, 2023, 01:11:05 PM »
Bought a metal 8.25 Raybourn football and a pair of Ace 44 lows today. It's not a full blown relapse but I'm a little scared...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1030 on: April 01, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »
Bought a metal 8.25 Raybourn football and a pair of Ace 44 lows today. It's not a full blown relapse but I'm a little scared...

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

I’ve been pretty good about not buying anything, and pretty bad at just shitposting about being ready to buy something.
But I want those trucks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1031 on: April 01, 2023, 09:43:17 PM »
My last 4 sets of trucks: Thunder teams, Venture Forged, Ace lo's, Mindys forged hollows....

I liked ventures the best, then thunders, then mindys, then aces...

The Ace lo's are just too radical for me.  Too low, pushed the wheelbase too far in, nose and tail felt too long/ disproportionate.  Considering how low they were though, no wheelbite, liked the grind, I had hollows and they didn't seem too heavy.  If you're a loose truck guy, I'd maybe recommend them. 

Mindy is a more moderate version, just a solid lower truck.  I'd put them up against a thunder, but the thunder is lighter, indy turns better, less wheelbite and I liked where the what they did to the wheelbase. 

I didn't bother messing with Royals, I'm sure they are fine too, I just don't need any more truckery.....going back to ventures.  Them and the thunders I skated two sets in a row, while the aces/mindy's, I'm not bananas about them. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1032 on: April 02, 2023, 08:09:19 AM »
My last 4 sets of trucks: Thunder teams, Venture Forged, Ace lo's, Mindys forged hollows....

The Ace lo's are just too radical for me.  Too low, pushed the wheelbase too far in, nose and tail felt too long/ disproportionate.  Considering how low they were though, no wheelbite, liked the grind, I had hollows and they didn't seem too heavy.  If you're a loose truck guy, I'd maybe recommend them. 

Mindy is a more moderate version, just a solid lower truck.  I'd put them up against a thunder, but the thunder is lighter, indy turns better, less wheelbite and I liked where the what they did to the wheelbase. 

I didn't bother messing with Royals, I'm sure they are fine too, I just don't need any more truckery.....going back to ventures.  Them and the thunders I skated two sets in a row, while the aces/mindy's, I'm not bananas about them.

Interesting.
I’ve been locked into this idea of trying the ace lows, after enjoying my af1 44s.
I don’t have a good reason to get them, just experimenting.
I generally bounce back and forth between: any ventures, and 147 or 148 thunders.
I have too many trucks.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1033 on: April 02, 2023, 04:07:43 PM »
I'm in a shoe madness situation. I was sure the NB440 is the perfect shoe for me but after 2 pairs in a row my feet felt like toast. Bought a pair of 1010s but honestly they feel awful. Skated an old pair of Maranas today and fuck me these shoes are great. No pain, good feel, fits perfectly, top quality. So should I buy another pair of shoes? Some new Maranas? I got a pair of 440, 1010s, Emerica KSL, Adidas Tyshawn Low, Adidas 3St.004, this old pair of Maranas. I bought all these shoes in hope to find the perfect one for me and in the end it's the shoe I skated almost exclusively 3 years ago.. Fuck me.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

manysnakes

« Reply #1034 on: April 02, 2023, 05:02:24 PM »
I'm in a shoe madness situation. I was sure the NB440 is the perfect shoe for me but after 2 pairs in a row my feet felt like toast. Bought a pair of 1010s but honestly they feel awful. Skated an old pair of Maranas today and fuck me these shoes are great. No pain, good feel, fits perfectly, top quality. So should I buy another pair of shoes? Some new Maranas? I got a pair of 440, 1010s, Emerica KSL, Adidas Tyshawn Low, Adidas 3St.004, this old pair of Maranas. I bought all these shoes in hope to find the perfect one for me and in the end it's the shoe I skated almost exclusively 3 years ago.. Fuck me.

I hated the 1010s, but eventually I gave them like three weeks of regular use, until they broke in and it clicked for me. Now I get it. I know a lot of people say the same thing.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1035 on: April 02, 2023, 05:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting.
I’ve been locked into this idea of trying the ace lows, after enjoying my af1 44s.
I don’t have a good reason to get them, just experimenting.
I generally bounce back and forth between: any ventures, and 147 or 148 thunders.
I have too many trucks.

For me it was a matter of me thinking a low truck, that didn't wheelbite and shrunk the wheelbase on a generator board made perfect sense.  They are definitely an interesting ride just because of how they turn while being insanely low.  At the end of the day, a Venture or Thunder team is low enough, the wheelbase is something that doesn't impact my skating as much as I think it does, and I actually like how ventures turn, lots of chill time. 

If I have anything going for me it's getting rid of the trucks that don't work, I'll piece together an old deck, cheap set of bearings and some wheels that I'm not crazy about and give/sell the complete.  It's a mistake...I must be punished....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1036 on: April 02, 2023, 06:16:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hated the 1010s, but eventually I gave them like three weeks of regular use, until they broke in and it clicked for me. Now I get it. I know a lot of people say the same thing.

I haven’t had some for a minute, but they truly felt like the most high quality option

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #1037 on: April 02, 2023, 07:20:21 PM »

1010, KSL, and I imagine the Tyshawn all need some time to get going. Wear the Maranas, try a new insole in the 440 if you haven’t already, and break in the other kicks some more. 1010 and KSL are great shoes.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1038 on: April 02, 2023, 08:51:32 PM »

Just get better insoles. I use Superfeet Run Comfort and a friend uses the Adapt Run and both make the 440 feel so much better.

How long did you break in the 1010 for? I didn't like them at first, but now it's what I skate 80% of the time.

roll_dog

« Reply #1039 on: April 02, 2023, 09:07:36 PM »
Had a meh day at the skatepark and now I'm thinking about going up to 169s.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1040 on: April 02, 2023, 09:10:24 PM »
i went a little crazy with sales and half cabs. which wasn't so bad, you know, getting em for 30-40 bucks shipped was a steal and they'd be worn at some point. but i realized i've gotta wear a half size up and trying to stretch these jawns out ain't gonna work. i've got a couple colorways i'm really fond of and wanted to save but they don't fucking fit so I put most of my 10.5 half cab (and a few others) collection up on craigslist the other night. I've got multiple moms hitting me up to buy $50 half cabs for their sons. How nice is that? I really gotta stop buying shit though. Hopefully now that i've found that the Blazer mid, size 11, is my dream shoe for now, since they don't seem to get cheap like vans, I won't be buying too many pairs

i ended up buying a set of wheels I don't need from a PAL the other night though. fuck.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1041 on: April 02, 2023, 10:36:15 PM »
i went a little crazy with sales and half cabs. which wasn't so bad, you know, getting em for 30-40 bucks shipped was a steal and they'd be worn at some point. but i realized i've gotta wear a half size up and trying to stretch these jawns out ain't gonna work. i've got a couple colorways i'm really fond of and wanted to save but they don't fucking fit so I put most of my 10.5 half cab (and a few others) collection up on craigslist the other night. I've got multiple moms hitting me up to buy $50 half cabs for their sons. How nice is that? I really gotta stop buying shit though. Hopefully now that i've found that the Blazer mid, size 11, is my dream shoe for now, since they don't seem to get cheap like vans, I won't be buying too many pairs

i ended up buying a set of wheels I don't need from a PAL the other night though. fuck.

It’s been 10 years a least since I’ve had blazers.
Are they really hot? I guess halfcabs are foot saunas as well…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: April 02, 2023, 10:38:23 PM »
Had a meh day at the skatepark and now I'm thinking about going up to 169s.

Having a meh day and wanting to switch it up is my mo

What are you hoping will happen with 169s?
When I’ve setup shit that big, it’s always been…because I saw someone else do it, and/or I just thought it would look cool.
Bigger has never led to more performance, for me

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
« Reply #1043 on: April 02, 2023, 10:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s been 10 years a least since I’ve had blazers.
Are they really hot? I guess halfcabs are foot saunas as well…

I don't feel like they're getting really hot but i'm a strictly wool socks dude this time of year. this is my first pair and they're great
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

eSK3

« Reply #1044 on: April 03, 2023, 02:22:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

I’ve been pretty good about not buying anything, and pretty bad at just shitposting about being ready to buy something.
But I want those trucks

Skated a set for over 6 months. The grind is soft but fast and they seem to wear down faster than Indy imo

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
« Reply #1045 on: April 03, 2023, 02:44:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

But I want those trucks

Full review soon, just for you. I've only skated them a couple times but I'm gonna hit the slappy curb today if the weather cooperates.

Edit - didn't scroll down to see jsoy chimed in, I'd probably trust his opinion over mine.

From what I've done so far (cruise/commute, and 30 minutes of flat ground) I think that interesting or unique are definitely the right word. I'm used to low trucks that are either mega stable (venture) or snappy and responsive (mini logo) so having loose carvey trucks that close to the ground is a totally new experience for me. Not an unpleasant one though.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:32:01 AM by Sativa Lung »

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1046 on: April 03, 2023, 04:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just get better insoles. I use Superfeet Run Comfort and a friend uses the Adapt Run and both make the 440 feel so much better.

How long did you break in the 1010 for? I didn't like them at first, but now it's what I skate 80% of the time.
I use the superfeet run comfort as well. Because of your recommendation in another post. They are really good so thanks for that. They work good in my adidas. In the 440 I felt better for a while but after the sole got thinner it became painful again. I'm walking in the 1010s for a week now and after walking in them for around 2 hours or so my feet feel busted. Skated them once so far but had a few problems. They kinda feel wrong shaped for me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 05:54:33 AM by vicious cycle »
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

manysnakes

« Reply #1047 on: April 03, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven’t had some for a minute, but they truly felt like the most high quality option

That's the other thing - by my observation, having skated all the major shoes from major brands, the 1010 is the highest quality shoe on the market (maybe the 808 rivals it, I don't know yet). It's literally just made better than any other skate shoe I've ever had. That doesn't mean it's the objective best shoe or that it's going to work for everyone, but I haven't skated another shoe which is as well-constructed and which lasts as long.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: April 03, 2023, 07:35:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's the other thing - by my observation, having skated all the major shoes from major brands, the 1010 is the highest quality shoe on the market (maybe the 808 rivals it, I don't know yet). It's literally just made better than any other skate shoe I've ever had. That doesn't mean it's the objective best shoe or that it's going to work for everyone, but I haven't skated another shoe which is as well-constructed and which lasts as long.

The fit, at first blush, seemed less than ideal, but turned out to be the best. I just needed to get used to the slightly looser heel.
The feel of the materials used, particularly in the beef and broccoli ones, was just difficult to compare to the current skate shoe market. I skate dunks, often, as they fit my foot well, and feel like a known/baseline. But compared to the 1010, dunks are cheap.
I need to make it to a shop to try on the 808s. Haven’t been inside a skateshop for a long minute due to work schedule, and I’m not looking forward to spazzing out, sniffing concave and buying too much stuff.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1049 on: April 03, 2023, 07:44:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

But I want those trucks
[close]

Skated a set for over 6 months. The grind is soft but fast and they seem to wear down faster than Indy imo

What did you switch to? I don’t need my stuff to last forever (I’m old, don’t have that much skate time left)