Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798795 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7980 on: December 07, 2023, 10:11:26 AM »
Good 600 review; dude never pulls any punches.
https://youtu.be/etCpIDfKyYw?si=xyEmgie9fP3INwm9

Kickflipsnchill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #7981 on: December 07, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »
Joes new balance outlet has 425s for $30.. free shipping over $100

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #7982 on: December 08, 2023, 04:15:15 AM »
The 480s are great, but don’t chill in them too much if you want to skate them also. The tread loves to trap tiny pebbles, mud, and gum.

Gonna break out the White/Black pair and only use them for skating. My first pair of Reynolds have graduated to beaters 🫡

Will wear the other ones in Fall 2024.

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #7983 on: December 08, 2023, 06:53:55 AM »
The 480s are great, but don’t chill in them too much if you want to skate them also. The tread loves to trap tiny pebbles, mud, and gum.

Gonna break out the White/Black pair and only use them for skating. My first pair of Reynolds have graduated to beaters 🫡

Will wear the other ones in Fall 2024.

I actually just spent 15 mins yesterday trying to get all the mud, salt, snow, and pebbles out of the outsoles of my Reynolds 480s, didn't realize how many places in the tread that shit could get stuck in lol. Have way too many skate shoes in rotation but might chill out on the dog walks in them until I can get them on the sessions now haha

icedancer

• Rep: -14
« Reply #7984 on: December 08, 2023, 02:11:31 PM »
Sorry if this has already been touched on, but when is the WKND collaboration dropping and does anyone have any photos?

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #7985 on: December 09, 2023, 09:39:41 AM »
Sort of review.
     I've been on the 440's for about 4 pairs. Just got a pair of the 480's. Immediate difference is the stiffness. The 440's are broken in right out of the box.
     The 480's after a week are still stiff. So stiff that I can't wear a certain sock while skating them. It's a thinner polyester blend sock. No matter how tight I tie my shoe, my heel slips out. But If I wear some thicker cotton socks. I get some slip out but it's tolerable.
    The flick on the 480 is similar to the 440. Maybe even better. I started skating a new pair of 480's on a used board with jessup grip. Flick feels like skating a new board and new shoes. I could care less about the board feel. If the flick feels like a vulc shoe. Count me in.
    Which the board feel isn't terrible in the 480's. I can still feel the edge of the board on tre flips and heel flips. But it is subtle.
     If NB can make some 480's and 440's in "normal" colorways(suede black upper/white sole) they've got my $100 every time.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #7986 on: December 10, 2023, 08:15:17 PM »
Sort of review.
     I've been on the 440's for about 4 pairs. Just got a pair of the 480's. Immediate difference is the stiffness. The 440's are broken in right out of the box.
     The 480's after a week are still stiff. So stiff that I can't wear a certain sock while skating them. It's a thinner polyester blend sock. No matter how tight I tie my shoe, my heel slips out. But If I wear some thicker cotton socks. I get some slip out but it's tolerable.
    The flick on the 480 is similar to the 440. Maybe even better. I started skating a new pair of 480's on a used board with jessup grip. Flick feels like skating a new board and new shoes. I could care less about the board feel. If the flick feels like a vulc shoe. Count me in.
    Which the board feel isn't terrible in the 480's. I can still feel the edge of the board on tre flips and heel flips. But it is subtle.
     If NB can make some 480's and 440's in "normal" colorways(suede black upper/white sole) they've got my $100 every time.

Excellent mini review, super helpful to know on the stiffness. In the same vein, can anyone who’s skated the 480 and the 1010 weigh in on any significant differences in boardfeel, flick, and grip? Curious how the 480 stacks up against some of the beefier cupsoles in the lineup.

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
« Reply #7987 on: December 10, 2023, 09:42:32 PM »
How is the board feel between 440 and 306’s? Thinking about trying the 440 but I’ve been skating only vulcs the past 10 years, so I’m nervous about it

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7988 on: December 11, 2023, 12:26:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Sort of review.
[close]

Excellent mini review, super helpful to know on the stiffness. In the same vein, can anyone who’s skated the 480 and the 1010 weigh in on any significant differences in boardfeel, flick, and grip? Curious how the 480 stacks up against some of the beefier cupsoles in the lineup.
Beefyness award goes, for sure, to 808 then 480 and then 1010 imo.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #7989 on: December 11, 2023, 06:55:35 AM »
How is the board feel between 440 and 306’s? Thinking about trying the 440 but I’ve been skating only vulcs the past 10 years, so I’m nervous about it

I've skated 5 pairs of 440s in the last 2 years as well and recently found some 306's at Ross for $28. The 306s are stiffer and need to be walked around in a bit before skating but good flick and board feel. 440's are more comfortable out of the box, more durable, slightly grippier sole. I have feet with medium arches so the vulcs are kinda painful for me and i put in additional insoles to help with my arches. Personally I'm sticking to 440's unless i find good deal on some 508's again or maybe the 600's.

marcusbutler

« Reply #7990 on: December 11, 2023, 08:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've skated 5 pairs of 440s in the last 2 years as well and recently found some 306's at Ross for $28. The 306s are stiffer and need to be walked around in a bit before skating but good flick and board feel. 440's are more comfortable out of the box, more durable, slightly grippier sole. I have feet with medium arches so the vulcs are kinda painful for me and i put in additional insoles to help with my arches. Personally I'm sticking to 440's unless i find good deal on some 508's again or maybe the 600's.

Checks out. Skated a pair a year ago. Maybe the sizing was off. But god was my experience awful. Flicks and grip were as what you would expect from a vulc shoe. I had to lace it to the top and tie the shoe down to keep my heel from slipping out. Again maybe a sizing issue. But it was snug from the start. I've gone through some 440's and it's such a good shoe. Ready to go right out of the box. Grippy and flick felt really good. I can still feel my bolts through the shoe while shifting my feet around. Board feel is there. A thinner cupsole shoe that feels like a vulc shoe.

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7991 on: December 11, 2023, 11:24:32 AM »
Would like to hear what's your experience been with 808s? I know I was bashing that shoe before but they grown on me a bit with the new colorways and would like to skate them. Do they ever develop any boardfeel?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7992 on: December 11, 2023, 11:37:28 AM »
Would like to hear what's your experience been with 808s? I know I was bashing that shoe before but they grown on me a bit with the new colorways and would like to skate them. Do they ever develop any boardfeel?
808 are the best thing that ever happened to me. To answer your question I'd say "Yes, 1999 boardfeel best case scenario".
You'll get used and is the best.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7993 on: December 11, 2023, 11:43:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
808 are the best thing that ever happened to me. To answer your question I'd say "Yes, 1999 boardfeel best case scenario".

Maybe I'll cop a pair then because I see some colorways are on sale right now. Might not be a bad thing to go .5 size up?

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
« Reply #7994 on: December 11, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Checks out. Skated a pair a year ago. Maybe the sizing was off. But god was my experience awful. Flicks and grip were as what you would expect from a vulc shoe. I had to lace it to the top and tie the shoe down to keep my heel from slipping out. Again maybe a sizing issue. But it was snug from the start. I've gone through some 440's and it's such a good shoe. Ready to go right out of the box. Grippy and flick felt really good. I can still feel my bolts through the shoe while shifting my feet around. Board feel is there. A thinner cupsole shoe that feels like a vulc shoe.

Literally skated my 306’s for the first time Saturday and heel kept slipping. Was thinking it was a size issue too and now I’m not so sure. Bummer

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7995 on: December 11, 2023, 01:34:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Maybe I'll cop a pair then because I see some colorways are on sale right now. Might not be a bad thing to go .5 size up?
Go for that +.5. Fucking love the shoe.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #7996 on: December 11, 2023, 04:20:10 PM »
This may seem like a silly question but do you fellas lace your hi's up all the way?

Feel like getting my foot in is a pain, and I somehow always end up with some weird ankle injury from forcing my feet in. Is it normal to re-lace and lace those top holes all the time?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7997 on: December 11, 2023, 04:47:25 PM »
This may seem like a silly question but do you fellas lace your hi's up all the way?

Feel like getting my foot in is a pain, and I somehow always end up with some weird ankle injury from forcing my feet in. Is it normal to re-lace and lace those top holes all the time?

my experience - pull top holes completely, loosen down the rest of the way if that makes any sense. just like a pair of work boots or combat boots etc. i guess if your ankle mobility isn't so hot it might be an issue not unlacing all the way, but i haven't ever run into an issue with my processTM

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #7998 on: December 11, 2023, 05:17:00 PM »

Yeah I lace mine up all the way. It makes putting them on and taking them off a pain in the ass but it's the best way to get the most support out of high tops. I have a running joke with my friends that I need an extra 5 minutes to get ready for the sesh just to put on my shoes lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7999 on: December 11, 2023, 05:48:07 PM »
440 High are so much faster to lace up than Blazer Highs. Blazers could stand to lose 50% of their lace holes

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #8000 on: December 11, 2023, 08:36:48 PM »
So I think NBs just don't work for me, or more importantly my lower back. I've been on nothing but the Reynolds 480 and Franky's Halloween shoe since October and the days I wear either my back and left knee are just fucked. Idk if it's the heel raise in the 480 or what, because my feet do not hurt with them and they're super comfortable shoes. It's just all after the fact.

I have a pair of Rowley reissues on deck and I think I'm gonna try them for the week and see how if there's any change.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #8001 on: December 11, 2023, 09:41:44 PM »
Don't give up yet. I hated the 480 and like the 440, 600, and 1010.

marcusbutler

« Reply #8002 on: December 12, 2023, 08:27:31 AM »
So I think NBs just don't work for me, or more importantly my lower back. I've been on nothing but the Reynolds 480 and Franky's Halloween shoe since October and the days I wear either my back and left knee are just fucked. Idk if it's the heel raise in the 480 or what, because my feet do not hurt with them and they're super comfortable shoes. It's just all after the fact.

I have a pair of Rowley reissues on deck and I think I'm gonna try them for the week and see how if there's any change.

There has been some wish wash studies done about stack height and heel-toe offset affecting knee, pelvis, lower back. It affects your posture and natural biomechanics. Which the 480, compared to skate shoes, has a high stack and noticeable heel to toe difference. But skate shoes have been notoriously shitty. You are already hurting your body skating. Then you put your foot in a shoe made to accommodate, not only your foot, but millions of others. So one shoe to another it's going to feel weird. One will hurt you and another will feel alright. 

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #8003 on: December 12, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
Tall stack height is the worst and seems to be the direction for all NB# shoes now.  I get such bad knee pain when shoes have a high heel.   I've had to move on to other brands which very much bums me out. 

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #8004 on: December 12, 2023, 09:57:07 AM »
Kinetic has some new colorways available of the Franky’s, the 600 and 1010’s, but no photos.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #8005 on: December 12, 2023, 10:39:52 AM »
Has anyone tried the 574 Vulc? The toe box looks hella wide, but how wide is the rest of the shoe? Specifically the mid foot and the heel area? Any annoying inside seams?
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #8006 on: December 12, 2023, 11:42:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There has been some wish wash studies done about stack height and heel-toe offset affecting knee, pelvis, lower back. It affects your posture and natural biomechanics. Which the 480, compared to skate shoes, has a high stack and noticeable heel to toe difference. But skate shoes have been notoriously shitty. You are already hurting your body skating. Then you put your foot in a shoe made to accommodate, not only your foot, but millions of others. So one shoe to another it's going to feel weird. One will hurt you and another will feel alright.

Almost all modern running shoes except those sold as zero drop have heel to toe drop. So do all boots. These "studies" were supposed to be evidence for minimal/zero drop shoes which are on the fringes now. The drop in a 480 is in the accepted realm for athletic shoes and less than a Busenitz, which has the most significant drop of any skate shoe. Asics Japans also have a significant drop.

As you pointed out there are other facts that influence pain such as arch support, midfoot support, cushioning, sole kinetics, and your own biomechanics.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #8007 on: December 12, 2023, 11:56:09 AM »
Well, great timing, I know he's like public enemy #1 right now, but I got a pair of the Tom Knox NB and I really like them.
They're pretty slim, lightweight and flexible but still have a cup sole.
Pretty tough so far too, I've only got 3 sessions on them but you can't tell they've been skated at all, and I'm pretty fuckin' hard on shoes.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #8008 on: December 12, 2023, 12:27:19 PM »
I kept getting tempted by SB Dunks. Please, someone remind me of how thin the soles are. I’ve had no knee pain getting the 480s. Right amount of cushioning.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #8009 on: December 12, 2023, 12:31:58 PM »
Well, great timing, I know he's like public enemy #1 right now, but I got a pair of the Tom Knox NB and I really like them.
They're pretty slim, lightweight and flexible but still have a cup sole.
Pretty tough so far too, I've only got 3 sessions on them but you can't tell they've been skated at all, and I'm pretty fuckin' hard on shoes.

Why is he public enemy no 1?   Bc his part underwhelmed some vocal people?