Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798713 times)

Troubadour26, Atiba Applebum and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #8160 on: January 02, 2024, 10:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
not loving the new N on the low. the 440 just looked so classic and timeless in nearly every colorway the way it was. this looks updated to just fill a very narrow timeline in footwear fashion that will eventually die off. rare NB L
[close]

yeah real shame they made the blazer clone stand out more
[close]

In what ways is the more paneled, cupsole a clone?

idk re-read my post?

Southernmost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #8161 on: January 02, 2024, 10:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I have big ass feet size 12, how are the Tiago 1010 shoes? I have average width on my feet, are they true to size or should I go smaller or bigger?
[close]
TTS

I second this, true to size. My first pair was snug at first. I usually always wear my new shoes a few times instead of skating them out of the box. They break in really well. Might take a session or two to get used to them but they’re one of the best shoes ever.

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #8162 on: January 02, 2024, 12:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
not loving the new N on the low. the 440 just looked so classic and timeless in nearly every colorway the way it was. this looks updated to just fill a very narrow timeline in footwear fashion that will eventually die off. rare NB L
[close]

[close]

[close]

idk re-read my post?

I think you dropped these:

I don't think anyone if asked, would have said the V1 or V2 440 low or high looks in any way like a blazer.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #8163 on: January 02, 2024, 02:21:30 PM »
Tactics has had the green/yellow 480s in 14 for a month now—just one pair. Part of me wants to put them out their misery 🤔

Problem is, I probably won’t wear them until 2025 lol

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #8164 on: January 02, 2024, 04:38:20 PM »
440s are nothing like Blazers besides the fact that they are  high top

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8165 on: January 02, 2024, 04:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

idk re-read my post?
[close]

I don't think anyone if asked, would have said the V1 or V2 440 low or high looks in any way like a blazer.

i mean clearly i would if asked, especially v1 hi. no they aren't identical, but there is enough there for me to say they are similar but i'm also not here to change your mind like you aren't going to change mine

thehogsniper

• Rep: 47
« Reply #8166 on: January 02, 2024, 05:12:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

idk re-read my post?
[close]

[close]

i mean clearly i would if asked, especially v1 hi. no they aren't identical, but there is enough there for me to say they are similar but i'm also not here to change your mind like you aren't going to change mine
440 looks nothing like a blazer whatsoever. the blazer is essentially a single-paneled hi-top, as simple of a shoe as you can find. Two long full length eyestays that are similar to sneakers from the late 60s/early 70s (stan smith, converse, pf flyers), thin herringbone vulc outsole, single material outer construction (suede/leather). The 440 high uses multiple outer materials, a multipatterned cupsole outsole, a shorter eyestay that rounds over the top of the toes (and the V2 looks more like a 80s basketball shoe), a suede toecap (which the SB Blazer doesn't have), a suede heel panel with perforations, and now has a bit more texture with the puffy ribbed section at the top. The only similarity between the two is really the rubber bumper. Even if the 440 was a clone, I would take it in a heartbeat over the godawful state of the Nike SB Blazer. This isn't 1975 or even 2006 where slim godawful shoes are going to cut it. I'll take all that modern foam and ventilation all day.

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8167 on: January 02, 2024, 05:42:29 PM »
Does anyone know if the v2s are supposed to fit any wider? I really wanted to like the originals but they were just too narrow for me

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8168 on: January 02, 2024, 06:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

idk re-read my post?
[close]

[close]

[close]
440 looks nothing like a blazer whatsoever. the blazer is essentially a single-paneled hi-top, as simple of a shoe as you can find. Two long full length eyestays that are similar to sneakers from the late 60s/early 70s (stan smith, converse, pf flyers), thin herringbone vulc outsole, single material outer construction (suede/leather). The 440 high uses multiple outer materials, a multipatterned cupsole outsole, a shorter eyestay that rounds over the top of the toes (and the V2 looks more like a 80s basketball shoe), a suede toecap (which the SB Blazer doesn't have), a suede heel panel with perforations, and now has a bit more texture with the puffy ribbed section at the top. The only similarity between the two is really the rubber bumper. Even if the 440 was a clone, I would take it in a heartbeat over the godawful state of the Nike SB Blazer. This isn't 1975 or even 2006 where slim godawful shoes are going to cut it. I'll take all that modern foam and ventilation all day.

for the record i agree, and have plenty of pairs of hi and lo because of what you've stated

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #8169 on: January 02, 2024, 07:02:08 PM »
Never been a mid guy but just got the Franky 417's from No-Comply and stoked to try them out.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8170 on: January 03, 2024, 08:13:15 AM »
Anyone got a release date on the black 480 High?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8171 on: January 03, 2024, 08:28:24 AM »
Never been a mid guy but just got the Franky 417's from No-Comply and stoked to try them out.
Been noticing you've been around Austin alot lately from your ig. Are you living here now? If so, welcome!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #8172 on: January 03, 2024, 08:38:18 AM »

Ive just been waiting for the right colorway in those

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
« Reply #8173 on: January 03, 2024, 09:03:25 AM »
Does anyone know if the v2s are supposed to fit any wider? I really wanted to like the originals but they were just too narrow for me
Our first batch of WIDE 2E shoes have shown up on the NB.com site as of this week.  The 440 V2 will have some wide options also, but those don't launch until Feb 5 on the site.  But the 574 and 272 both have some wide options.  You'll see the WIDE button on the bottom to select and that'll give you what sizes are available.
https://www.newbalance.com/pd/nb-numeric-574-vulc/NM574VV1-45857.html?dwvar_NM574VV1-45857_style=NM574VBY#dwvar_NM574VV1-45857_style=NM574VGW&dwvar_NM574VV1-45857_width=2E&pid=NM574VV1-45857&quantity=1

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #8174 on: January 03, 2024, 09:11:20 AM »
Never been so hyped for a shoe release as I am for the 440 v2 with the wide option. My brittle ankles and bunioned ass hobbit feet will be so happy

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #8175 on: January 03, 2024, 10:47:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Been noticing you've been around Austin alot lately from your ig. Are you living here now? If so, welcome!
I have a place by Candyland so I'm there a few days a month. Shoot me a DM and let's get a sesh!

Expand Quote
[close]

Unfortunately, I have an issue wearing anything that isn't a black upper and white sole so that colorway really stoked me out and had to get them. I actually really liked the turquoise launch colorway too.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #8176 on: January 03, 2024, 10:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Our first batch of WIDE 2E shoes have shown up on the NB.com site as of this week.  The 440 V2 will have some wide options also, but those don't launch until Feb 5 on the site.  But the 574 and 272 both have some wide options.  You'll see the WIDE button on the bottom to select and that'll give you what sizes are available.
https://www.newbalance.com/pd/nb-numeric-574-vulc/NM574VV1-45857.html?dwvar_NM574VV1-45857_style=NM574VBY#dwvar_NM574VV1-45857_style=NM574VGW&dwvar_NM574VV1-45857_width=2E&pid=NM574VV1-45857&quantity=1

Sick. Out of the 574 and 272, which one feels the more cushioned?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #8177 on: January 03, 2024, 11:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I have a place by Candyland so I'm there a few days a month. Shoot me a DM and let's get a sesh!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Unfortunately, I have an issue wearing anything that isn't a black upper and white sole so that colorway really stoked me out and had to get them. I actually really liked the turquoise launch colorway too.

I’m pretty against black soles and it feels like most of the colorways I would like the uppers of have a black sole.     The launch white/green were near what I was looking, but I think I just didn’t want to commit to giving NB a shot then (but I have two Knox’s and one 1010 since)

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #8178 on: January 03, 2024, 11:16:23 AM »
Re: the wide 574s.. A little google digging shows that a wide version was already released a few years ago, and based on these reviews, they were still narrower than regular width shoes.  Looking at the underside view on the NB site, the shape slims down so much behind the toebox that even an extra 1/2” wouldn’t give you much midfoot room at all. 

Hate to be such a diva over this, but would really like an actual measurement diagram, or comparison pictures, or anything that’s actually helpful in determining if this shoe would be a good fit or not.  Evidently, many of the previous “wide” 574 purchasers weren’t happy, and it would be good to know if NB addressed these issues or are just putting the same shoe out again.

Same goes for the 272, 440v2, and any future wide models.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8179 on: January 03, 2024, 12:47:29 PM »
Re: the wide 574s.. A little google digging shows that a wide version was already released a few years ago, and based on these reviews, they were still narrower than regular width shoes.  Looking at the underside view on the NB site, the shape slims down so much behind the toebox that even an extra 1/2” wouldn’t give you much midfoot room at all. 

Hate to be such a diva over this, but would really like an actual measurement diagram, or comparison pictures, or anything that’s actually helpful in determining if this shoe would be a good fit or not.  Evidently, many of the previous “wide” 574 purchasers weren’t happy, and it would be good to know if NB addressed these issues or are just putting the same shoe out again.

Agree on getting specs, listing exactly the width difference (down to the cm/mm) and where...

rothdigga

« Reply #8180 on: January 03, 2024, 12:59:27 PM »

The older 574's were cupsole and the Numeric NM574's are a vulc so they will for sure have a different fit than those reviewed above. 
I don't know what the stats are but will ask the design team on how much wider the 2E really is but from my limited knowledge, the 2E mold is pretty standard between our models across NB.  People who were looking for the wide shoes previously that reviewed might have really been looking for 4E or something on the much wider scale.  I feel like someone skating who just needs a little extra space width wise should benefit from the 2E's here. 

rothdigga

« Reply #8181 on: January 03, 2024, 01:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sick. Out of the 574 and 272, which one feels the more cushioned?
Those both use the same exact sole unit but i think the NM574 should fit a little wider in the upper than the 272. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8182 on: January 03, 2024, 06:51:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Finally got myself a pair of 1010s, width and fit wise they feel great but length wise they feel 0.25 size bigger. I can't shimmy my feet forward within the shoe though pressing down at the toes does give about a thumb's worth of space. Worth sizing down for the next pair?
[close]

I feel like the upper can take a bit to break in with the 1010s as long as your toes aren’t cramped I’d wear/skate them a bit to see how they soften up
[close]
I would say let them stretch/soften up. I regrettably sized up and feel like I have way too much room now. I bought a second pair of 1010’s in my regular size and they feel perfect now. The 1010 is my favorite shoe I’ve even worn.
[close]
Both of these answers seem to think you got 1010's that felt too small. I would say size down if they are one of the 1010's with mesh at the toe and tts if they are all suede or leather. The mesh gives more leeway in terms of stretch and would probably feel good if your current pair feels too big.

Thanks for the feedback, skated them for around 4 sessions, 2 hours each and they kinda broke in after 3 sessions.

I didn't break them in as chillers prior and the first session was rough. I always use sports insoles with harder arch support (flat feet) led my instep feel like it was being pinched and I couldn't get the laces tightened just right. Couple with the added length in the toe area which made my feel like I was wearing clown shoes almost led me to retire them and use them as chillers since the wear on the upper was minimal.

By the 3rd session they were starting to break in and my kickflips were coming back, more my technique and using a longer deck than usual, but the grip of the rubber flicking area was responsive and durable to boot. FS Flips felt a lot easier because of the grip.

1 huge problem was the sole felt very slippery despite being brand new. I was skating my local with rough concrete ground and in some moist parts of the park I felt my sole slipping. This was not a huge puddle, just a patch of concrete that wasn't completely dry after an overnight shower. I chalk that up to some coating on the sole that needed break in before the grip was fully engaged.

Another issue was the heel area - at my usual TTS 9.5 the heel area never felt fully secure and would lift up a little while I was pushing around. Tightening the laces helped slightly but lead to the abovementioned instep feeling pinched.

Lots of shops are doing sales on older 1010 colorways so I picked up another pair in 9.5 (TTS) and 9.0 (1/2 size down) to either skate or use as chillers. At $55-ish they are a great looking and skating shoe if you can figure out the sizing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ToasterBiscuitz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8183 on: January 03, 2024, 08:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The older 574's were cupsole and the Numeric NM574's are a vulc so they will for sure have a different fit than those reviewed above. 
I don't know what the stats are but will ask the design team on how much wider the 2E really is but from my limited knowledge, the 2E mold is pretty standard between our models across NB.  People who were looking for the wide shoes previously that reviewed might have really been looking for 4E or something on the much wider scale.  I feel like someone skating who just needs a little extra space width wise should benefit from the 2E's here.

Skate shoes most likely to fit hobbit feet:
6. Dunk/Jordan 1
5. Marana
4. Tyshawn Lows/Pros, Campus, Nora's
3. Project BA
2. Am574, CT574 All Coasts 574, or AM425, all in 2e (@rothdigga was there a major difference in the construction of these 574 models? They all seem identical to me). Maybe those reviews were for really large feet but for short/wide feet this shoe rules. Can’t wait for my 2e Vulcs to arrive…
1. Asics Vic NBD is unequivocally the widest skate shoe I’ve ever tried. I need to size down on my next pair to properly skate them though. However with half the shoe being mesh they aren’t ideal for PNW winters. Oddly enough a NB rep in Portland told me to check out shoes made for Asian markets because they typically have wider feet and thus their shoes wider lasts.
Hope this helps.

Also, are we getting 440 highs in 2e?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 08:33:47 PM by ToasterBiscuitz »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #8184 on: January 04, 2024, 04:16:36 AM »
Skate shoes most likely to fit hobbit feet:
6. Dunk/Jordan 1
5. Marana
4. Tyshawn Lows/Pros, Campus, Nora's
3. Project BA
2. Am574, CT574 All Coasts 574, or AM425, all in 2e (@rothdigga was there a major difference in the construction of these 574 models? They all seem identical to me). Maybe those reviews were for really large feet but for short/wide feet this shoe rules. Can’t wait for my 2e Vulcs to arrive…
1. Asics Vic NBD is unequivocally the widest skate shoe I’ve ever tried.

Dunks/Js, okay sure.  Maranas, yuck.  BAs, can I borrow your time machine?  Asics Vic NBD, link that isn’t a reseller?  Tyshawn, fuck that guy.  Campus and Noras, look at this sole pic and tell me with a straight face they’re wide;

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8185 on: January 04, 2024, 06:41:43 AM »
Tiago is skating the 550 High in his latest IG post. Are we getting Numeric versions of those too? 😯

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8186 on: January 04, 2024, 06:47:23 AM »
Tiago is skating the 550 High in his latest IG post. Are we getting Numeric versions of those too? 😯
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 111
« Reply #8187 on: January 04, 2024, 08:17:40 AM »

Release dates/colorways for any upcoming 480 highs?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8188 on: January 04, 2024, 09:28:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Release dates/colorways for any upcoming 480 highs?
Think someone said this month. But would like to know for sure so I can budget accordingly lol

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8189 on: January 04, 2024, 11:15:53 AM »
Are 480 going to be in catalogue or they're done? It seems that we got flooded with too many cw in little time and now nothing.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.