Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 42702 times)

LloydChristmas

Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:12 AM »
I quit smoking over two years ago but I hated the combination of coffee and cigarettes. If you truly like to enjoy your coffee in the morning, you know damn well that the cigarette taste ruins it.  Maybe it doesn't apply to iced coffee, I wouldn't know.  But I'm absolutely baffled to hear people say "I can't have one without the other" etc...yuck.

hornyrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2013, 05:32:04 AM »
Recently traveled to Ecuador, they had some of the best coffee I have ever had

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2013, 05:47:09 AM »
Tax refund came in a few days ago so I thought I'd treat myself

Don't know how to use one of these but I like strong black coffee. Also, I want to fuck with some of that cold brew, so I might experiment with that.

Was watching some videos and reading some articles and dudes are talking about ratios and timers and shit, like c'mon man. Nobody's got the time for that.

This is all I ever use. The ratio/temperature/etc. can get really confusing ("cup" = 4oz?) but you learn.

My go to (I literally just finished making a cup before I logged onto SLAP)
Boil water
Grind 3 spoonfuls of the included spoon to medium coarse (you'll have to learn this too)
Fill boiling water to brim of 14-oz mug
Mix water and ground beans in press for 30 seconds with NON-METAL spoon
Sit for 3 minutes
Press and pour (will lose about 2oz to absorption, so I get a perfect 12oz to drink)

DON'T FORGET TO CLEAN AFTER USE. The cheesecloth/wheel is removable. It sucks but you don't want musty bean fragments sitting in there forever.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:49:22 AM by MyUserName »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »
i have a keurig that i put my own coffee in (i stopped using the little cups because that shit gets expensive and they arent very strong). i drink one cup every morning on my way to work at about 4:30AM, it works like a charm and gets me thru my 8 hours. i've been getting coffee from my work Sprouts lately, im currently on the ethiopian and its good but i use half and half and lots of sugar anyway so... i also heard that coffee is grown with tons of pesticides so i plan on starting to buy organic once i run out of the ethiopian. i would love to get one of those fancy contraptions im seeing in here but the keurig is too convienent and quick, when you wake up at 3:30 am and have to make yourself breakfast you dont want to be foolin with long processes and whatnot.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2013, 12:55:34 AM »
starbucks? people actually drink that shit? visit vienna and i'll get you guys to some real coffee.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:58:22 AM by pica »

ChewyPoo

• Rep: -5
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2013, 01:32:12 AM »
Never stepped into the starbucks we have here, fuck that. But New Zealand Coffee is dope! Theres quite a few rad spots in the downtown area.

MFLUDER

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 04:59:14 AM »
Expand Quote

Don't know how to use one of these but I like strong black coffee. Also, I want to fuck with some of that cold brew, so I might experiment with that.

Was watching some videos and reading some articles and dudes are talking about ratios and timers and shit, like c'mon man. Nobody's got the time for that.
[close]

This is all I ever use. The ratio/temperature/etc. can get really confusing ("cup" = 4oz?) but you learn.

Boil water
Grind 3 spoonfuls of the included spoon to medium coarse (you'll have to learn this too)
Sit for 3 minutes
Press and pour (will lose about 2oz to absorption, so I get a perfect 12oz to drink)

DON'T FORGET TO CLEAN AFTER USE. The cheesecloth/wheel is removable. It sucks but you don't want musty bean fragments sitting in there forever.
Dude I followed this exactly and actually made a real good cup. Kudos to you.

Brick

• Rep: -1
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »
starbucks? people actually drink that shit? visit vienna and i'll get you guys to some real coffee.

that place is the goddamn titties

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »
I'd love to visit some European coffee houses.

I just love the idea of that coffee house culture. Maybe this is hyperbole, but I regard the advent of the coffee house in Europe on the same level as the reformation in terms of the impact its had on modern society. I'm talking about the worlds of art/science/finance/politics/etc colliding in these Turkish coffee houses in the great cities of western and central Europe like Vienna (or London and Amsterdam). Maybe I've been reading a little too much Neal Stephenson

but it would make a good dissertation topic now that I think about it...

Anyways, I think I'm going to buy a hand grinder and just start buying beans. Trying to get that coarser grind for my french press

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
iced latte is the best, but usually get iced americano as it's cheaper and basically the same.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
I didn't put my pot under the brewer correctly last night so it didn't drip out it just sat in the brew basket for twenty minutes.  When I went to pour myself a cup at 6:30 am, it started to pour out all over.  I didn't have time to make things right.  It's nearly noon and I haven't had a proper cup of coffee today. 

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:25:44 AM by chockfullofthat »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Expand Quote

*viennese coffee houses*

[close]

yes, it is, theres a few of those amazing coffee houses in vienna (budapest has some fine too). i always feel weirdly underdressed without a pullunder or a fine tweed jacket and a pipe.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
This thing is pricey, but worth ever penny.

Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Maker (from the Netherlands)

grind my own beans, use filtered water...nothing like it.

I get the beans from a great coffe store - husband and wife who source the stuff, go to the farms all over the world Etc.
They really know coffee inside and out and always have great varities to choose from. 
http://www.georgioscoffee.com/

I find the Jamaican Blue Mountain and coffee from Costa Rica is the best.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

*viennese coffee houses*

[close]

[close]

yes, it is, theres a few of those amazing coffee houses in vienna (budapest has some fine too). i always feel weirdly underdressed without a pullunder or a fine tweed jacket and a pipe.

you can leave your pipe at home, a lot of the old traditional ones had to ban smoking due to new laws.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

*viennese coffee houses*

[close]

[close]

[close]

you can leave your pipe at home, a lot of the old traditional ones had to ban smoking due to new laws.

you would think so, but i found a way to trick the incredibly strict and well planned austrian smoking laws:

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

*viennese coffee houses*

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you would think so, but i found a way to trick the incredibly strict and well planned austrian smoking laws:
people here will think "this dude must be german".

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
^ maybe you can trick the smoking laws with this thing but you still don't protect anybody from passive smoking right?
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Boil water
Sit for 3 minutes

[close]

What's the non metal spoon about?  I got sick of smashing bodums....cut my hand bad so I got the stainless steel one.....good investment I think....

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
people here will think "this dude must be german".

not until i grab my copy of BILD and demand a Becks to compliment the coffee.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »

most those look like frapuccinos but in fancy cups. the rest look like sugary fairy drinks. steamed milk? get that shit outta here. i'm an american, gosh darn it. give me my coffee in a styrofoam cup with a plastic lid and a donut. fuck you and your high society coffee house crap, ya damn kraut.

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »
Fuck you all and your fancy coffee.

1 tbsp of special blend coffee bought from the diary down the road.
2 tbsp of sugar.
Quarter cup milk, stir.
Add hot water, stir.
Drink.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
I think a thermos is a must too....to cart around to spots....travel mugs always get knocked over....keeps it warm too and looking like a substitute teacher is hot these days.....

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
most those look like frapuccinos but in fancy cups. the rest look like sugary fairy drinks. steamed milk? get that shit outta here. i'm an american, gosh darn it. give me my coffee in a styrofoam cup with a plastic lid and a donut. fuck you and your high society coffee house crap, ya damn kraut.
this "fancy frapuccinos" look back on over 200 years of history and the viennese coffee tradition is intangible unesco world cultural heritage. it ain't high society crap it's what EVERYONE drinks. what you get as your daily "coffee to go" is a poor version of that kind of coffee that some europeans came up with a few hundred years ago.  unfortunately we do have a few starbucks as well, but you can easily tell that somebody is an american tourist when he walks around with a styrofoam cup. also over here starbucks coffe is more expensive than that "fancy coffe house". usa-usa-usa. ever been outside of your "country"?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:52:45 AM by pica »

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Boil water
Sit for 3 minutes

[close]

What's the non metal spoon about?  I got sick of smashing bodums....cut my hand bad so I got the stainless steel one.....good investment I think....
[close]

The non-metal spoon is for two reasons: 1) Obviously, metal is more likely to crack/break glass than wood or plastic. 2) Mixing something metallic in the still-brewing coffee can affect the chemical process and change the flavor.

foureyedjim

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
I used to drink filter coffee until I figured out that it's basically crap compared to Italian coffee. So now I use this

[close]

Haha yeah buddy!

What would you say the taste difference is between an italian coffee maker and a french press?

Been using a french press for a while and I'm pretty satisfied with it, but would love to try out other options if I can actually taste a difference.  Oh, and I mix the water/coffee with a chopstick haha

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

this "fancy frapuccinos" look back on over 200 years of history and the viennese coffee tradition is intangible unesco world cultural heritage. it ain't high society crap it's what EVERYONE drinks. what you get as your daily "coffee to go" is a poor version of that kind of coffee that some europeans came up with a few hundred years ago.  unfortunately we do have a few starbucks as well, but you can easily tell that somebody is an american tourist when he walks around with a styrofoam cup. also over here starbucks coffe is more expensive than that "fancy coffe house". usa-usa-usa. ever been outside of your "country"?

That's fine and dandy and all, taking pride in your country's history and coffee culture. Very quaint. I'm sure, over the years, many respectable Germans have had very fine intellectual discussions over their cups of whipped cream. Many people, however, just don't have time for wooden coat hangers, conversation, and little spoons. For you see, people such as yourself value an experience, whereas I value expediency. So while you take the extra time to savor 200 hundred years of coffee culture, as you say, I will most likely be having caffeine-fueled sex with your girlfriend.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote

this "fancy frapuccinos" look back on over 200 years of history and the viennese coffee tradition is intangible unesco world cultural heritage. it ain't high society crap it's what EVERYONE drinks. what you get as your daily "coffee to go" is a poor version of that kind of coffee that some europeans came up with a few hundred years ago.  unfortunately we do have a few starbucks as well, but you can easily tell that somebody is an american tourist when he walks around with a styrofoam cup. also over here starbucks coffe is more expensive than that "fancy coffe house". usa-usa-usa. ever been outside of your "country"?

[close]

That's fine and dandy and all, taking pride in your country's history and coffee culture. Very quaint. I'm sure, over the years, many respectable Germans have had very fine intellectual discussions over their cups of whipped cream. Many people, however, just don't have time for wooden coat hangers, conversation, and little spoons. For you see, people such as yourself value an experience, whereas I value expediency. So while you take the extra time to savor 200 hundred years of coffee culture, as you say, I will most likely be having caffeine-fueled sex with your girlfriend.
i'm not german. i get it you don't have time for wooden coat hangers and little spoons you're an american so you must be very busy bombing other countries and watching baseball eating hot dogs and stuff. I'd highly suggest you to visit some other parts of the planet, learn another language or at least read a book - might as well be one with pictures in it.  by the way those styrofoam cups cause cancer and brain damage (could be an explanation for your posts).

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
vide! hic stultus putat me stultum esse. is putat me linguam aliam cognoscere. is videretur tam stultum habere.

• Rep: 12
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
i love the feeling i get reAding posts about cofee drinkers and drinking coffee

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
vide! hic stultus putat me stultum esse. is putat me linguam aliam cognoscere. is videretur tam stultum habere.
mad props, you can use the google translation tool. i think a well trained chimpanzee could do it as well. but maybe i do you wrong, and you really came up with that yourself, so you might as well be one of the few thousand people who actually still speak Latin fluid.  
but actually i don't think your latin skills are that good, otherwise you must be a harvard university professor posting on a skateboard forum. If you learn latin you learn how to read old text material and how the grammar works. but actually speaking and writing it? no way.

kanako ug sa akong unggoy mahimong mogamit sa mga galamiton sa Google sa paghubad.
yo y mi mono puede utilizar la herramienta de traducci?n de Google.
我和我的猴子可以使用谷歌翻译工具。
minun ja apina voi k?ytt?? google k??nn?s ty?kalu.
moi et mon singe pouvez utiliser l'outil de traduction de Google.
ja a moja opice m??ete pou?iť google prekladač.
mein affe und ich koennen das google uebersetzungs tool verwenden.
mig og min abe kan bruge google overs?ttelsesv?rkt?j.
من و میمون من می توانید از ابزار ترجمه گوگل استفاده کنید.
kuv thiab kuv cov liab siv tau cov google txhais lus twj.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:16:08 PM by pica »