Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 71422 times)

fisheye talk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #600 on: May 01, 2024, 12:12:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C51sDebJPg7/?igsh=bHMxeTJ1MjlmM3Q1

Not sure how to embed through phone but this is XF605/MK1

Currently Loving this setup
[close]

I would love to see a Youtube upload to better judge the quality, Instagram on a phone is too small and you can´t really make it fullscreen on a computer.

Expand Quote

any ideas what setup was used for this?
[close]

Looks like a cheap hd camcorder with some kind of fisheye (maybe something raynox?). It doesn't look like a opteka or its clones. You just need to add enough spacers to get a lot of vignetting.
[close]

Not directly related to this video but I had that question a few weeks ago. If you add more spacers between the camera lens and the fisheye wouldn't the clip look less sharp?

I have a cheap camcorder with a cheap fisheye and a macro lens. It is camera, spacer, spacer, macro lens, spacer and fisheye. That combination brought the sharpest quality videos so far.

Although there is no vignette, this video looks similar to the clips I film with my camcorder.
To get a focused image while using a fisheye, the camcorder has to be able to focus quite close, in other words, it has to have a small minimum focus distance. Some camcorders that have quite long minimum focus distance can't be used with fisheyes unless you use a lot of spacers or you use some short of macro filter.

In this regard, adding more spacers can't affect sharpness. Keep in mind that adding spacers makes the fisheye circle smaller in the image frame so it occupies less pixels -> less resolution.

From an optics perspective, and I am no expert on the matter, maybe there are camera/fisheye combos that work best for a specific distance between the camera and the fisheye. I am under the impression that spacing the lens can't affect the sharpness negatively. You still have the problem that the smaller the fisheye circle in the frame is, the less resolution you are getting.

What setup are you using? Its strange that you have to use that many spacers and still get no vignetting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 12:23:29 AM by fisheye talk »

Cpl593h

• Rep: 0
« Reply #601 on: May 01, 2024, 11:00:29 AM »

Judychamagnee

• Rep: 1
« Reply #602 on: May 13, 2024, 11:36:12 AM »
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/projects/red-bull-terminal-takeover

Here is my most recent work. Under Team Katy.
Shot 4k60p XF605/Mk1 with VX Mic

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #603 on: May 13, 2024, 11:53:16 AM »

Looks so good dude. Wow.

How are you finding the noise performance in low light? I spent weeks looking at Canon but what scared me off was YouTube comments about how noise was out of control in low light. Your footage looks great though, so curious what you think.

Judychamagnee

• Rep: 1
« Reply #604 on: May 13, 2024, 08:09:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks so good dude. Wow.

How are you finding the noise performance in low light? I spent weeks looking at Canon but what scared me off was YouTube comments about how noise was out of control in low light. Your footage looks great though, so curious what you think.

So it isn’t the best. I shot at around 3200iso. In C-Log3 and had to use on camera lights(2 small ones) and most of the scene was below the halfway 50’s mark on waveform. Basically maxed it out in post. Worked out Nicely though. As far as night shots it does not perform well and lots of tweaking will be needed to keep clips somewhat clear from all the noise.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #605 on: May 14, 2024, 11:51:45 AM »
@Judychamagnee thanks for being honest! Either way, You are squeezing a great image out of it. With every edit being an HPX or FS5 these days, it's really crazy to see an image and colors that are unique.