Author Topic: books to read  (Read 438019 times)

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
Re: books to read
« Reply #3090 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »
@Mark Renton: I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on Proust once you get started.

I’ve already read the first book (Du côté de chez Swann) some years ago and it was really beautiful, especially the first part (Combray). Then I bought the second book read like one third and lost it when I moved home. So now it made sense for me to have everything in one book.
It’s definitely amazing writing. Sometimes though it was hard for me to keep on going as it’s very descriptive and I kept losing focus. I alternated it with some Irvine Welsh books and then it was easier to digest.
I just can’t see myself reading it as my only book cover to cover if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:57:20 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #3091 on: June 12, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

This is likely the last book I read twice

doctorpoopy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3092 on: June 12, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »
just finished The Wasp Factory after somebody recommended it on here.  Very good, but what a fucking bummer of a book.  Anybody got some uplifting suggestions?
Why are adjectives almost always in the following order quantity, quality, size, age, shape, color, purpose. Why can't I say " useless, big, three, bad men" instead of "three useless, big, bad men" It's n

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3093 on: June 12, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
@Mark Renton: I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on Proust once you get started. I'm currently thinking about reading another longer work of fiction. Right now, I'm torn between Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest, but Proust has been on my list ever since I started reading Knausgaard.

Expand Quote

Journey to the End of the Night is alright. The faster and more attitude you have while reading it the better it comes across. It's decent enough, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it.
[close]

I read this a while ago because Bulowski always hyped him up so much, but I found it to be a bit of a drag. Struggled to finish the last 60 pages or so. Bukowski’s minathropy is just way more overt and makes me laugh a lot more.

Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov and I’m really liking it. I’m not sure the book is meant to be all that comical, but I can’t help but relate Fyodor to Ignacious Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces. The guy really is a funny character. All around good shit, IMO.

I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow (for school) and Brothers Karamazov (for a reading group I frequent) in tandem and am thoroughly enjoying them both.

HardDay: I read Infinite Jest 5-or-so years ago, and while I thought it was a fun read (notwithstanding length and formal quirks), I'd recommend GR. Pynchon is raunchier and I think his subject matter is more compelling, if less timely than Foster Wallace. That's my unsolicited advice.

Jackson'sGhost: I agree with you and Kumiko - Bukowski made me want to like Celine so much, but he's a dud for me. His wikipedia page isn't too inspiring either.

I strongly second your feelings on Fyodor. The early scene at the monastery where he trolls everyone (himself included) in front of the revered elder had me cracking up.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3094 on: June 13, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »
@ Mark Renton: Are you reading Proust in the French original?

@Peter Zagreus: Now that's a statement. Thanks! And it's not unsolicited if I implicitly asked for it. I remember oyolar having similar thoughts, saying that DFW is better as a writer of non-fiction.

I've only read Consider the Lobster, which I liked a lot. It's been three years since and I still remember passages from his essay on Dostoevsky. Which doesn't happen often and shows that he stood the test of time. I read through the German translation of A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again at the bookstore the other day until they me out right before closing time. I got my hands on an English copy right after that.

I read The Crying of Lot 49 and Inherent Vice back to back a couple of years ago. I liked the first one, but the second one didn't do anything for me. I thought the movie by Paul Thomas Anderson was better, too. I'm willing to give Pynchon another shot and might pick up Gravity's Rainbow this summer (rather than Infinite Jest).

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #3095 on: June 13, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
mArLeY

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3096 on: June 17, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »
I feel like I might’ve posted this 50 pages back when I first read it, but just reread Pale Fire by Navakov and was floored again. I love the extent to which he goes with the unreliable narrator premise and the footnotes, index, etc. are hilarious and I imagine influential upon DFW. I loved Lolita too but as far as I’m concerned Pale Fire is his best book.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #3097 on: June 19, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
Anybody read Steinbeck's East of Eden? Worth it?

I can barely finish anything, as I get distracted easily, but I want to try and read it, as I have access to it
The chillest1

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3098 on: June 19, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »
For a while East of Eden was my favorite book. It’s great but it’s really long. After re-reading Grapes of Wrath I actually like that better and would recommend it over East of Eden for someone who has trouble finishing things.

There’s a lot of good shorter Steinbeck too, like Tortilla Flats.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #3099 on: June 20, 2019, 04:44:41 AM »

I can barely finish anything, as I get distracted easily, but I want to try and read it, as I have access to it

East of Eden may be my favorite book ever. I read it about 3 months ago and it just punched me in the stomach so hard. I had to put it down a couple of times just because it was so heavy. That being said, it’s worthwhile and I thought ultimately had a positive end. It’s a long one for sure, but I thought the length really helped to get into and empathize with the characters a bit more. Plus Kate is probably the best “evil character” I’ve ever read. Definitely worth a try.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #3100 on: June 20, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Rereading this now after a thoroughly enjoyable Tom Wolfe binge. It's crazy how, 50 years later, her perception of California's counterculture and environmental challenges still rings true.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #3101 on: June 20, 2019, 02:16:22 PM »
Thanks for the input Hairy and Mike!! 8)
The chillest1

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3102 on: June 21, 2019, 07:39:07 AM »
I feel like I might’ve posted this 50 pages back when I first read it, but just reread Pale Fire by Navakov and was floored again. I love the extent to which he goes with the unreliable narrator premise and the footnotes, index, etc. are hilarious and I imagine influential upon DFW. I loved Lolita too but as far as I’m concerned Pale Fire is his best book.

Pale Fire is so good. There’s so much going on. I’ve read it three times now (twice for two different classes in college) and the interplay of layers is awe-inspiring. Every re-read really reveals more and more. Nabokov is just a madman in a fantastic way. I re-read Glory on vacation, which I think is one of his underrated gems. They way he plays with time to do jumps back and forth in the main character’s life and to mask transitions is super fun. I remember having my mind blown when I pieced together what he was doing the first time I read it.

Can’t find the posts but there was a discussion between DFW and Pynchon and while I still have yet to read IJ, I can endorse DFW’s non-fiction collections (maybe except his most recent posthumous one) as worth reading. Avoid The Broom of the System, which is just trite and pretentious with little to enjoy in my opinion. GR is much more enjoyable in my opinion but I definitely did not have the time in my schedule to devote to it so it took me forever to finish it. So I’d say just be aware that it is dense, hefty, and confusing. But man is it fun and the ending is intense. It also has my favorite opening lines in all of literature.

I tried to read Knausgaard’s monograph on Mvnch a little bit ago but could not absorb any of it. I think I’m still reeling from finishing Volume 6 earlier this year and the toll that took so I’m shelving that for a little bit.

Aside from Glory, I’ve been in a reading rut lately. I tried getting into The Mars Room but couldn’t, I haven’t been super pleased by the past few things I’ve picked up, etc. so I gave myself a break and binge read like 20 recent X-Men comics this week which has been a nice palate cleanser haha. I’m going to start reading this sociology book on MFA programs by this fantastic ethnographer. I’m hoping getting away from literary fiction might reinvigorate me.

Kumiko

« Reply #3103 on: June 21, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
Finished the 5 book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. I'm not going to bother with the sixth since it was written by a different author. It's such a fun series and is light and easy enough to read during lunches or wherever anything dense is bothersome to read. Vonnegut is a good comparable and I'll be chugging through a few more of his next.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

« Reply #3104 on: July 07, 2019, 02:39:29 AM »
Just started War and Peace. See me in two months or so. I’m assuming someone on here has read it before—any tips for keeping the characters/scenes strait? After about 50 pages the characters are already starting to get pretty laborious to keep up with, and the footnotes/French translations are pretty disruptive.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3105 on: July 07, 2019, 12:48:18 PM »
Just started War and Peace. See me in two months or so. I’m assuming someone on here has read it before—any tips for keeping the characters/scenes strait? After about 50 pages the characters are already starting to get pretty laborious to keep up with, and the footnotes/French translations are pretty disruptive.

Keeping up with the characters in War and Peace is definitely the hardest part. Just find a list of characters that suits you on the web and keep it handy. It's not just that there are a lot of different characters, but that each character also has nicknames...

If you find all this too tough, just focus on the most important characters. War and Peace is definitely worth the effort you have to put in. Enjoy!

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #3106 on: July 07, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
Thanks for the input Hairy and Mike!! 8)

East of Eden takes a bit of a commitment to get through. I used to be a huge Steinbeck fan and I think I have read most of his books, but I haven't been able to get through East of Eden. Grapes of Wreath, the pearl and of Mice and Men were great, but I have always loved his more comedic books more. My absolute favorite one was "Cannary Row".

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3107 on: July 08, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Some shorties I'm reading for school:

I've been sleeping on Charles Johnson. He works some good philosophical stuff into this one, including a nuanced take on race[ism]. Also features a "lost at sea" episode that makes me glad to be a land lubber.

A beautiful, heartbreaking story of one man's life in the rural American west during the first half of the 20th century, with just a hint of "magical realism," and all in a novella that you could read in an afternoon. Really moved me. Will probably read again.

40 pages into this one and it's been very sad, but exquisitely written. The protagonist, a young, Native American, WWII veteran and former Japanese POW, returns to his home on a withering reservation and is embroiled in personal and communal trauma. Silko brings out the conflict between "white" (scientific, imperialist) and "Indian" (naturalistic, shamanic) ontologies in a really profound and unsettling way (since we know who has prevailed in the conflict, and at what cost).

MichaelJacksonsGhost

« Reply #3108 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:36 AM »

I've been sleeping on Charles Johnson. He works some good philosophical stuff into this one, including a nuanced take on race[ism]. Also features a "lost at sea" episode that makes me glad to be a land lubber.

Charles Johnson is a nut. I read his Art of Fiction interview a while back (worth the read if your interested in that sorta thing) and he talks about editing his novels for, like, 7-10 years. I ordered Ox Tail online thinking it was gonna be this massive work and it was like 200 pages. Not to say that’s bad, I was just amazed he could spend so long editing a book of that length. Still haven’t read it though. How long is Middle Passage? I sort of assumed all his stuff is bout the same.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #3109 on: July 09, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »

Wow, I was just about to come in here and post my love of Steinbeck. Started with Grapes of Wrath, then read like everything I could of his over the next 2 years. East of Eden is my favorite book. It's long but I loved it and didn't want it to end. When I was in the midst of reading all his stuff I took a trip to the Monterey and saw the lab he partied in that he basis Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday off of. Happened to show up the one day a month they give a private tour if you made a reservation, turns out some people didn't show and I got to see the place. Went to the museum as well and his house, which sucked because its not a restaurant. He's the man, supposed to be a new biography out on him this year. Favorite of all time.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #3110 on: July 09, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »
Do audiobooks count? I listen to them when I'm doing stuff. Makes the voices in my head go away if you get what I mean.

Anything by Neil Gaiman is gold. American Gods was mind blowing.
Twin Perks

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3111 on: July 09, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Charles Johnson is a nut. I read his Art of Fiction interview a while back (worth the read if your interested in that sorta thing) and he talks about editing his novels for, like, 7-10 years. I ordered Ox Tail online thinking it was gonna be this massive work and it was like 200 pages. Not to say that’s bad, I was just amazed he could spend so long editing a book of that length. Still haven’t read it though. How long is Middle Passage? I sort of assumed all his stuff is bout the same.

Wow. 7-10 years is nutty, indeed. There were definitely some cuttable turns of phrase in Middle Passage, but they were all working toward character development so, IDK. Tastes vary.
Middle Passage is just over 200 pages, and I've also got Dreamer on deck (about a guy who becomes MLK Jr's body double), which runs to 236.

There's something to be said for a concise novel/ novella. Most of my favorites are short, now that I think about it.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #3112 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »
Just read this and thought it was super interesting.

Irvine-Sucks.com

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #3113 on: July 09, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »
That Trails book looks promising, gonna try to check it out this summer.

Never read it, but I watched the 1950s movie adaptation with James Dean in it recently. I think it's still on Netflix.
Grapes of Wrath is really great too, like people were saying.

I saw this doc last year, finally read the book it's based on:

It's an infuriating book honestly, but it's an important topic to know about.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3114 on: July 10, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »

A beautiful, heartbreaking story of one man's life in the rural American west during the first half of the 20th century, with just a hint of "magical realism," and all in a novella that you could read in an afternoon. Really moved me. Will probably read again.

40 pages into this one and it's been very sad, but exquisitely written. The protagonist, a young, Native American, WWII veteran and former Japanese POW, returns to his home on a withering reservation and is embroiled in personal and communal trauma. Silko brings out the conflict between "white" (scientific, imperialist) and "Indian" (naturalistic, shamanic) ontologies in a really profound and unsettling way (since we know who has prevailed in the conflict, and at what cost).

You taking classes at UCLA? I took some novel writing classes there a few years back and we read middle passage and Skyped with Charles Johnson for a little guest lecturer/q&a one week. I guess the professor is friends with him and does it every semester. Johnson is a super chill thoughtful dude. He’s a Buddhist and is vegetarian, pacifist, etc. it’s ridiculous the amount that he wrote before he ultimately broke through. Just like thousands and thousands of pages.

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3115 on: July 13, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You taking classes at UCLA? I took some novel writing classes there a few years back and we read middle passage and Skyped with Charles Johnson for a little guest lecturer/q&a one week. I guess the professor is friends with him and does it every semester. Johnson is a super chill thoughtful dude. He’s a Buddhist and is vegetarian, pacifist, etc. it’s ridiculous the amount that he wrote before he ultimately broke through. Just like thousands and thousands of pages.

Nah, I'm in an English program at a private college in Texas. We're doing a class on post-WWII, American fiction (written after the war, but not necessarily post-war in setting), and two of the books on the syllabus are by Johnson. As an undergrad, I had a friend who couldn't say enough good things about Johnson's work, but I didn't exactly trust his taste in fiction, which struck me as sort of sentimental. In retrospect, I was snoozing.

Sounds like your class had a good Skype experience. I never know what to say in those things...

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3116 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
Yeah I tend to be judgmental about the questions people ask (“how do I write better dialogue?” “What’s your advice for getting published?”) but then inevitably am unable to think of anything myself and ask some asinine question of my own. He kind of directed the conversation himself though I think and made it informative and engaging enough. That class was otherwise a writing workshop so it was kind of a nice change of pace for the week.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #3117 on: July 15, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »
i got these 2 but i dont know if i can read

mArLeY

thebunsman69

« Reply #3118 on: July 16, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »

Currently reading this one--Bataille was quite a deviant (even for a Frenchman).

From his wartime diary titled Guilty:
“Laughing at the universe liberated my life. I escape its weight by laughing. I refuse any intellectual translations of this laughter, since my slavery would commence from that point on.”

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3119 on: July 17, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
I fucking love Bataille as fascinating and obscure as he is. He’s not an easy read by any means but every so often, you get these perfectly poetic and crystallizing moments and lines that blow your mind and make it worthwhile.

If you’re interested in Bataille, I recommend this fantastic biography about him to help understand his life and works: https://www.amazon.com/Georges-Bataille-Intellectual-Michel-Surya/dp/1859841538

I read it years ago but should probably reread it sometime soon as I’m more familiar with a lot of his works. Maybe after I finish The Accursed Share whenever I get around to it.