Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4828056 times)

Enrico Pallazzo (+ 1 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

BoxStuffer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 116
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #33450 on: May 04, 2023, 04:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
This graphic got a lot of hate but i love it and would buy again as a wall hanger.

Real Mason 8.28
Venture 5.6 V-hollow
Spitfire Classic Full 54. Now 53mm
Bronson G3
Generic shop grip, feels like Jessup.
Adidas Tyshawn Low
[close]

This is a solid/beautiful graphic, how did it garner that much hate??  :o

I swear people hate on Real graphics just to feel included here on Slap. Most of their graphics are pretty good if you took a step back and compared them to their contemporaries.  Even their weirder ones are mildly distasteful at best (save for the  few truly bad ones)

Isn't that just Mason's "Visitors" tribute graphic to the Kelch "Flyer"? 
Enjoy your life.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #33451 on: May 04, 2023, 04:26:52 PM »
Expand Quote
This graphic got a lot of hate but i love it and would buy again as a wall hanger.

Real Mason 8.28
Venture 5.6 V-hollow
Spitfire Classic Full 54. Now 53mm
Bronson G3
Generic shop grip, feels like Jessup.
Adidas Tyshawn Low
[close]

This is a solid/beautiful graphic, how did it garner that much hate??  :o

I swear people hate on Real graphics just to feel included here on Slap. Most of their graphics are pretty good if you took a step back and compared them to their contemporaries.  Even their weirder ones are mildly distasteful at best (save for the  few truly bad ones)
Idk.. There was this GH video where he rates graphics in this boring tier list format and this one was part of the "wack real graphics" talk.  Whatever, i really like Mason's graphics. Bought basically all of his boards.
Idk why but your tyshawms lookin like baked potatos
Yeah.. Somehow they look baked.. But they perform pretty well. Maybe the best shoe I had in a while.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

oliknight

« Reply #33452 on: May 05, 2023, 12:48:28 PM »

I think I may have finally cured my madness with this one... Locked in on this equasion for the forseeable future  8)
  • Krooked Family Affair 9.81"x32" w/ 14.37" wb
  • Ace AF1 Hollow 66's (Ace 91a top bushings as tops/bottoms)
  • Ace 7/8" Allen hardware
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 56's

Best graphic on the best shape!

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #33453 on: May 05, 2023, 05:00:59 PM »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #33454 on: May 05, 2023, 05:02:29 PM »

I think I may have finally cured my madness with this one... Locked in on this equasion for the forseeable future  8)
  • Bones Swiss

What a beaut. Coincidence the spits match the deck? Or do you just ride 56s?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #33455 on: May 05, 2023, 06:08:50 PM »

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #33456 on: May 06, 2023, 05:37:55 AM »
New SpringSetup,

8.5 TNSC, THE NATIONAL Defo Maybe Right
8.6 V-Cast Hollows, no xtra flat washer or pivotcups pure stock
53 F4,99 Conical Full's, Breana Geering
SKF Bearings
MOB Grip

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 06:00:57 AM by Coldcut »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #33457 on: May 06, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »
Based on how little I’ve skated in recent years, I haven’t upgraded my setup in awhile.  But the nice weather and newfound sober energy has me juiced, so I gave my board a little tune-up;

8.5 old ass shop deck spray painted with gloss black rust paint.

Old ass Indys that I replaced the busted stock bushings with Indy soft ones.  Had to cut 1/8” off each top and bottom to get the nut back on.

54mm 99a Brophy Wayward wheels that were half price.

Freshly cleaned and oiled Reds, which my fiancé who used to be in roller derby taught me how to clean because I’ve never bothered to myself.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #33458 on: May 06, 2023, 10:12:52 AM »

A deck this size with the elegance of the wide Ace Trucks is perfect. Also I appreciate the Neko Case quote in the bio - probably my favorite song of hers, high in the running for my favorite song of all time.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
« Reply #33459 on: May 06, 2023, 12:59:27 PM »
New SpringSetup,

8.5 TNSC, THE NATIONAL Defo Maybe Right
8.6 V-Cast Hollows, no xtra flat washer or pivotcups pure stock
53 F4,99 Conical Full's, Breana Geering
SKF Bearings
MOB Grip

That's such a good grip job! Definitely going to take some inspiration from you for my next deck.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #33460 on: May 07, 2023, 06:07:36 PM »

Tired™️ 8”
Ace 33
Spitfire 53 radials
Miles grip
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 08:04:51 PM by sweet son of a bitch »

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #33461 on: May 07, 2023, 07:07:09 PM »

Girl 7.25 30.125 13wb
Jessup
Bronze 1in Allen
Venture low 5.0
Spitfire F4 classics 99 48mm
Bones big balls

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #33462 on: May 07, 2023, 07:18:57 PM »

Girl 7.25 30.125 13wb
Jessup
Bronze 1in Allen
Venture low 5.0
Spitfire F4 classics 99 48mm
Bones big balls
Looks sick!

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #33463 on: May 08, 2023, 02:19:01 PM »
Best graphic on the best shape!

This shape is all I’ll be skating for the foreseeable future. I have not felt this comfortable on a board in a loooong time.

A deck this size with the elegance of the wide Ace Trucks is perfect. Also I appreciate the Neko Case quote in the bio - probably my favorite song of hers, high in the running for my favorite song of all time.

The entirety of Blacklisted is pure gold :D

What a beaut. Coincidence the spits match the deck? Or do you just ride 56s?

I normally skate 56’s but went to 55’s when I gave the Classics a shot in a bid to keep wheel clearance the same (AF1’s are 53mm, Classics are 52mm). The AF1’s and 56’s went back on after one session on the Classics lol

epic tailblocking!

Thanks!

Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33464 on: May 09, 2023, 05:50:23 AM »

So far I'm really liking this setup, first Girl board in 15 years.

Malto Twin Paddle 8.25 x 31.875 x 14
Ace AF1 55
Socket grip + Bolts
F4 OG classics 53mm (probably 51mm by now)
Swiss 6
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #33465 on: May 09, 2023, 06:00:57 AM »

• Bones Swiss

I’m obsessed with this shape, it’s just works for all kinds of skateboarding, pretty sure I’ll just buy one every time they come out with a new graphic, I saw on Instagram that Ronnie Sandoval is getting one of his pro boards in this shape, (krooked did confirm it)
So excited for that!!
mankind is unkind man

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #33466 on: May 09, 2023, 06:56:34 AM »
Expand Quote

• Bones Swiss

[close]

I’m obsessed with this shape, it’s just works for all kinds of skateboarding, pretty sure I’ll just buy one every time they come out with a new graphic, I saw on Instagram that Ronnie Sandoval is getting one of his pro boards in this shape, (krooked did confirm it)
So excited for that!!

I forget where, but Ronnie said this is the only shape he’s been skating and he’s been liking it more than a popsicle shape. So I would put good money that this shape will be a staple in the Krooked lineup from here on out.

frank1175

• Rep: 12
« Reply #33467 on: May 09, 2023, 07:19:35 AM »

Ace AF1 55
Socket grip + Bolts
Swiss 6

Hi there! Is the wheelbase not too short with the 14" wb of the deck combined with the short wb of the ACE's? How tall are you if I may ask? I only skate symmetrical decks but haven't tried this Girl deck yet. Got the ACE's as well ;) Thanks!

frank1175

« Reply #33468 on: May 09, 2023, 07:24:49 AM »

Ace AF1 55
Socket grip + Bolts
Swiss 6

Also, just started skating the 808's as well. How are you liking them? I notice a lot of support, my feet feel really secure but they still feel quite stiff, do they loosen up with time? thanks!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33469 on: May 09, 2023, 08:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace AF1 55
Socket grip + Bolts
Swiss 6
[close]

Also, just started skating the 808's as well. How are you liking them? I notice a lot of support, my feet feel really secure but they still feel quite stiff, do they loosen up with time? thanks!
First:
- I'm 177 cms tall and the 14" WB on these AF1 55s feel awesome to me.

Second:
- These are my third pair of 808 in a row so that says a lot given that I'm a maniac with shoes. They do loosen up with time but not that much to feel like is a bubble gum shoe. I can't recommend them enough.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

frank1175

« Reply #33470 on: May 09, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »
wow! thanks man! I am starting to like the 808's and got two pairs I'm breaking in right now :D I think they are built so well and hope this will be my go-to skateshoe from now on.

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #33471 on: May 09, 2023, 11:11:09 AM »

Loving my 8.38 krooked (dlx dreamer shape with an 14.5" wb) but wanted to build a board on 149 thunders to see if it would help me get flip tricks back and Uprise didn't have any dreamers in stock - so I grabbed this studio deck to support a smaller company + theories + a local pro. LOVING the thunders - I have some 151's but have resigned myself never to be able to thrive on anything bigger than 8.5", so I'm really glad I tried these. The deck is also great, awesome shape and lots of pop - haven't done much on it but landed the first kickflip I tried so thats a good sign.

Studio Brett Weinstein 8.38x32x14.24wb (skating indy's on the dreamer, so the Thunders actually feel similar with this wb), Thunder 149 team, Spitfire 53mm Full Conical, Bones Swiss, Thunder Bolts, Jessup. Vans Skate Old Skools (still on NB# 440 for serious skating)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33472 on: May 09, 2023, 11:24:32 AM »
very sick.  Uprise and Studio (esp.  Weinstein ) are both A+
hardly art, hardly starving

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #33473 on: May 09, 2023, 08:09:21 PM »

• Bones Swiss

Sweet setup.
But doesn't using the AF1 top bushings as top and bottom bushings mess with the geometry of the truck? If I remember correctly the bottom bushing is taller than the top.

sbr

« Reply #33474 on: May 10, 2023, 09:06:56 AM »
So excited for that!!

I agree with how universally functional the board is. I have nerve damage in my legs/feet and the extra width up front makes a ton of difference to me as far as feeling like I'm stable on the board and my foot is not drifting off during some tricks. I think he's skating a sample now of this shape with wheel wells (has the team eyes graphic on it) and I'm hoping if they do a graphic for him on this shape the wheel wells make it onto it lol

I forget where, but Ronnie said this is the only shape he’s been skating and he’s been liking it more than a popsicle shape. So I would put good money that this shape will be a staple in the Krooked lineup from here on out.

I hope so, but I have 3 more of this shape on ice to at least last me through the summer 8)

Sweet setup.
But doesn't using the AF1 top bushings as top and bottom bushings mess with the geometry of the truck? If I remember correctly the bottom bushing is taller than the top.

The bottom bushing is 14mm and the top is 12mm, so yes the geometry changes a bit but not enough in my opinion that it's an obvious difference in how they turn. I think if I did duel tops AND no bottom washer (a la Ronnie) it'd move the dial toward being a noticeable difference as far as how they perform and I'd probably have wiggle room for them to flop around at that point. The three major things I gained from the duel tops were getting my trucks to the tension I like while still having the kingpin nut fully engaged on the kingpin, gaining more of a "surfy" feel from the conical shape being on the bottom, and since the angle of the hanger yoke changed a bit the washer clicking that you get from most AF1's went away. I'm just under 140 lbs, so with the stock bushings I could not get them as surfy as I like them to feel and this did the trick for me.
Small man, big board...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #33475 on: May 10, 2023, 09:21:52 AM »

I agree with how universally functional the board is.

There's a wheel-welled version coming out later this year, that might or might not get you stoked

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #33476 on: May 10, 2023, 09:31:55 AM »

• Bones Swiss

How are you liking Ace's? I remember you were on thunders before, and I just made the reverse switch from af1 55's to thunder 149s. So far my pop/flip trick game is 50% better and they feel a lot more stable - I also have some nerve damage/spasticity stuff going on.

sbr

« Reply #33477 on: May 10, 2023, 10:14:05 AM »
How are you liking Ace's? I remember you were on thunders before, and I just made the reverse switch from af1 55's to thunder 149s. So far my pop/flip trick game is 50% better and they feel a lot more stable - I also have some nerve damage/spasticity stuff going on.

I was on the board madness trip for about 2 years and tried a bunch of different stuff before I ended up on this setup. No BS, a bunch of tricks I had chalked up to being lost came back and I feel exponentially more stable and comfortable on this thing and have every intention of staying on this equation (9.81" / 56mm F4 Classics / AF1's) until I'm unable to buy any of the stuff to keep it going at which point I'll probably go down the madness rabbit hole again lol.

That said, the 2 years of madness allowed me to try a bunch of different stuff and understand geometry a lot better. With Thunders I could never get them to feel right loose, however, when I had them set up tighter on my vert board (before I fully gave up on the idea of skating vert somewhat regularly) they felt great. When skating in a more linear situation (vert, mini ramps, pushing at my quarter) they worked well, but they left a lot to be desired when skating bowls regardless of what bushing/pivot cup combo I tried on them. I would not say they felt "bad", but it was not the feeling I was chasing after.

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how the duel tops on the AF1's give my trucks surfy/carvy with a good grind pinch and no real speed wobble issues since they're snug but they still maintain a ton of "give" with very little effort. I tried Classics and wound up passing them on to another friend after one session because I felt WAY less in control with them and was experiencing speed wobbles even while skating my local that I'm super familiar with. I also found that my grind lock-in, with smiths in particular, and my timing drastically improved with the AF1's especially after I ditched running the 1/8" risers I had on. It's wild how much of a world of difference a few mm makes lol.
Small man, big board...

frank1175

« Reply #33478 on: May 10, 2023, 10:51:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was on the board madness trip for about 2 years and tried a bunch of different stuff before I ended up on this setup. No BS, a bunch of tricks I had chalked up to being lost came back and I feel exponentially more stable and comfortable on this thing and have every intention of staying on this equation (9.81" / 56mm F4 Classics / AF1's) until I'm unable to buy any of the stuff to keep it going at which point I'll probably go down the madness rabbit hole again lol.

That said, the 2 years of madness allowed me to try a bunch of different stuff and understand geometry a lot better. With Thunders I could never get them to feel right loose, however, when I had them set up tighter on my vert board (before I fully gave up on the idea of skating vert somewhat regularly) they felt great. When skating in a more linear situation (vert, mini ramps, pushing at my quarter) they worked well, but they left a lot to be desired when skating bowls regardless of what bushing/pivot cup combo I tried on them. I would not say they felt "bad", but it was not the feeling I was chasing after.

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how the duel tops on the AF1's give my trucks surfy/carvy with a good grind pinch and no real speed wobble issues since they're snug but they still maintain a ton of "give" with very little effort. I tried Classics and wound up passing them on to another friend after one session because I felt WAY less in control with them and was experiencing speed wobbles even while skating my local that I'm super familiar with. I also found that my grind lock-in, with smiths in particular, and my timing drastically improved with the AF1's especially after I ditched running the 1/8" risers I had on. It's wild how much of a world of difference a few mm makes lol.

Just reading this makes me want to try this Krooked 9.81” shaped deck. I already have the ACE AF1 66’s (9” width, those are the ones you’re using, right?) and use them without risers and Spitfire F4 55mm Classics. Sounds like a fun set-up (my main deck is the Real/Krooked 8.3” Twin Tail Slick)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 11:04:40 AM by frank1175 »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #33479 on: May 10, 2023, 02:16:12 PM »

8.25 Casper Brooker Baker deck that I redrilled the wheelbase from 14.25 to 13.9ish
Everything else still the same from a month ago
Same Pawnshop dunks
fuck you bama