Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798767 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N, cornman, Paperclip20 (+ 2 Hidden) and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6270 on: August 14, 2023, 10:21:54 AM »
Please forgive me If I've over looked this (dealing with horrible migraine) but what is the difference between the New Balance 480 Vs NB# 480?
They changed the midsole, narrowed down the toe box a little, and tweaked a few more things. It’s posted somewhere in this thread (can’t find it). But they seem vastly superior to the OG ones.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6271 on: August 14, 2023, 10:27:29 AM »
the "few pages back" 480 vs 480# (480 numeric) info posts

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
Yup, no idea about the #. Maybe @rothdigga can share some juice?
[close]
Yeah they are his new pro model, it will be the 600
tried them on in a sample (it was a half size too small for me) but it felt really good, i'm excited for this to come out
[close]
It's got similar vibes to the 288S that we had for a while.  Indoor soccer inspired design but a big improvement on the 288S if you tried those.  Launches in Holiday 2023 so around Oct.
[close]

thanks, roth!

Appreciate you aalways posting here.

Any word on when the 480 skate version comes out? been popping up all over insta recently so i guess final sample phase?
[close]

Without giving away too much, I'll just say "sooner than later" for the 480.  Obviously once you start seeing it on peoples feet it's not a total secret so you'll see them pop up at retail soon-ish.
[close]

Can you give us some insight on what some of the changes were that went into the skate version of the 480? Genuinely curious I enjoyed skating the normal basketball model, and wonder what the major differences are between the two

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
tried them on in a sample (it was a half size too small for me) but it felt really good, i'm excited for this to come out
[close]
It's got similar vibes to the 288S that we had for a while.  Indoor soccer inspired design but a big improvement on the 288S if you tried those.  Launches in Holiday 2023 so around Oct.
[close]

thanks, roth!

Any word on when the 480 skate version comes out? been popping up all over insta recently so i guess final sample phase?
[close]

Without giving away too much, I'll just say "sooner than later" for the 480.  Obviously once you start seeing it on peoples feet it's not a total secret so you'll see them pop up at retail soon-ish.
[close]

Can you give us some insight on what some of the changes were that went into the skate version of the 480? Genuinely curious I enjoyed skating the normal basketball model, and wonder what the major differences are between the two
[close]
We used premium materials on ours, closed the gap around the ollie area for durability as well as adding in the necessary extra stitches that we need as skaters and made some minor cosmetic changes (smaller N etc).  Only details you will notice if you look close enough but overall they're improvements that were needed to make them more skateable.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

[close]
We used premium materials on ours, closed the gap around the ollie area for durability as well as adding in the necessary extra stitches that we need as skaters and made some minor cosmetic changes (smaller N etc).  Only details you will notice if you look close enough but overall they're improvements that were needed to make them more skateable.
[close]

And we added a FuelCell midsole, probably the biggest (best) change. its gonna be epic.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6272 on: August 14, 2023, 11:44:32 AM »
@OhioGuy @iw0  thanks!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6273 on: August 14, 2023, 11:45:08 AM »
@rothdigga is the Fuel Cell foam in the 480 the same foam and same thickness as in the forefoot of the 1010? So far it feels less cushy and slightly thicker. Looking at the Wear Tested cutaway it almost seems like 808 thickness. They're not super broken in yet, but definitely less board feel than my 1010 so far.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6274 on: August 14, 2023, 01:38:30 PM »
Got my 480s today in the same size I get my 1010s. feel great so far although I see exactly what some other poster on here said about the seam between the tongue and the toe/vamp being kind of tight, like the “roof” of the shoe is lower and a little tighter on the sides on that part of the shoe. Not uncomfortable for me but if you’re one of those people with a weird foot size or wide feet, I’d imagine you’d have to go half a size up

Hyped on the fuel cell midsole these things seem to have legit foot protection. Not nearly as thick as the 808s, more comparable to the 1010

Will report back after I get a few sessions under my belt

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6275 on: August 14, 2023, 01:38:36 PM »

The 480s are comfy, but feel narrower than the 440s. Which is odd cause they look wider. Besides that I like ‘em. Think they’ll break in nicely 😎

Also I agree that the top presses down on your foot too much. Like they should be deeper or something. Not sure how to explain it. But it’s almost like my feet want to break free lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6276 on: August 14, 2023, 01:52:19 PM »
as a person with low volume feet I love this "flaw"

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6277 on: August 14, 2023, 03:01:18 PM »
Expand Quote
kinda of weird active would label these are "numeric" - the tongue label is the easiest thing to notice

https://www.activerideshop.com/collections/footwear-shoes/products/0823-new-balance-numeric-480-shoe?variant=40038654705758
[close]

active has been a piece of shit for a while so this isn't too surprising
to close the loop, they changed the images and are showing correct numeric pairs now, lol. Of course

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6278 on: August 14, 2023, 05:24:00 PM »
The Abzorb insole in the 480s make a big difference in how the shoe feels too. It’s still a slim insole, but the material is dense and is probably why the shoe feels supportive, but not “plush” like the 1010s with the ortholite. I did a quick insole swap just to see and the 1010 ortholite in the 480s make the shoe feel a lot softer for your foot to sit in and gives you a little more room in that “roof” area of the shoe. The Abzorb insole fits perfectly in the 1010s too, but it sacrifices some of the plushness/stepping comfort to give you added cushioning.

Really interesting stuff they did with the Abzorb insole. I’ll be skating my 480s stock and leaving them in there, but I can totally see people swapping out the insole for something else and it being a total gamechanger for them or even using the Abzorb insole in other shoes for when you want more cushioning without using a thicker insole that raises your heel

I’m gonna skate these later tonight but so far they feel like a more narrow dunk with a slimmer collar/tongue but chunkier, more cushioned midsole.

rothdigga

• Rep: 585
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6279 on: August 14, 2023, 10:16:26 PM »
@rothdigga is the Fuel Cell foam in the 480 the same foam and same thickness as in the forefoot of the 1010? So far it feels less cushy and slightly thicker. Looking at the Wear Tested cutaway it almost seems like 808 thickness. They're not super broken in yet, but definitely less board feel than my 1010 so far.

It should be the same but I'll ask Jeff on that.  My guess on the board feel part is just the sole unit on the 480 is going to be stiffer than the 1010 one, that's my best guess.  Will report back unless Nick chimes in first.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6280 on: August 14, 2023, 11:17:49 PM »
Anyone know when the Reynolds 480 comes out?
This.
I'm crossing fingers for those to be my self Xmas present.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6281 on: August 15, 2023, 05:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It should be the same but I'll ask Jeff on that.  My guess on the board feel part is just the sole unit on the 480 is going to be stiffer than the 1010 one, that's my best guess.  Will report back unless Nick chimes in first.

Hey roth, will the 480 be available in Europe?(specifically in Spain) if so, what shops or maybe in the main website? I'm about to move there so I'm trying not to have a ton of shoes on my baggage haha

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6282 on: August 15, 2023, 05:43:44 AM »
anyone tried the franky 417 yet? how do you like them?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6283 on: August 15, 2023, 08:08:10 AM »

Had my first session in the 480s and I’m in love. This is my “Goldilocks” shoe. Not too thin, not too thick. Won’t be buying anymore 440s. Gonna stick with these until Reynolds shoe comes out.

My shin splints are still acting up, but that happens with the 808s too so no level of impact protection will spare me. But I’m less sore than I am skating the 440s. And that’s all I wanted. More protection and less weight. Tiago’s are like skating in boots to me lol

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 95
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #6284 on: August 15, 2023, 08:12:50 AM »
anyone tried the franky 417 yet? how do you like them?

I love them, been wanting a good mid top replacement since the 379 and I don't always feel like throwing on a pair of 440 highs to save my ankles. First pair was a little snug at the forefoot but this second pair in a newer colorway feels like it's been retooled to accommodate for that! In comparison to the rest of #'s vulc line I'd say they're my favorite, right above the 574V and 272.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6285 on: August 15, 2023, 08:14:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This.

I would guess Reynold’s 480 comes out before the end of the year.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 111
« Reply #6286 on: August 15, 2023, 08:51:43 AM »

Had my first session in the 480s and I’m in love. This is my “Goldilocks” shoe. Not too thin, not too thick. Won’t be buying anymore 440s. Gonna stick with these until Reynolds shoe comes out.

My shin splints are still acting up, but that happens with the 808s too so no level of impact protection will spare me. But I’m less sore than I am skating the 440s. And that’s all I wanted. More protection and less weight. Tiago’s are like skating in boots to me lol

Thanks for the field report! They look nice from above, too. Not sure about that lacing...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6287 on: August 15, 2023, 08:57:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the field report! They look nice from above, too. Not sure about that lacing...
Laces never seem long enough for me. I like to tie them twice so they don’t come undone. So I skipped some eyelets 😂

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6288 on: August 15, 2023, 10:08:46 AM »
480s feel good, like a sportier simple os

also
as a person with low volume feet I love this "flaw"

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #6289 on: August 15, 2023, 03:43:29 PM »
@dstrytruitt - wish you hadn’t called attention to that lace job, that unfortunately cannot be unseen.  Scarring.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6290 on: August 15, 2023, 04:30:18 PM »
@dstrytruitt - wish you hadn’t called attention to that lace job, that unfortunately cannot be unseen.  Scarring.
Y’all bullied me into “fixing” them now 😅😋

Pasta Monster

« Reply #6291 on: August 15, 2023, 07:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you skip one or two of the bottom eyelets, you’ll have a bit more room for the toes, be able to lace them to a top eyelet, and avoid ripping laces from kickflips. My only complaint with NB# is that the laces they give are too short (except for #420 & #440, from the models I had).

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6292 on: August 15, 2023, 07:52:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
If you skip one or two of the bottom eyelets, you’ll have a bit more room for the toes, be able to lace them to a top eyelet, and avoid ripping laces from kickflips. My only complaint with NB# is that the laces they give are too short (except for #420 & #440, from the models I had).
Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that!

rothdigga

« Reply #6293 on: August 15, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This.
[close]

Probably a good guess I would say  ;)

rothdigga

« Reply #6294 on: August 15, 2023, 10:15:31 PM »
For those that have been asking about the differences between the NM480 (Numeric version) and the BB480 (Lifestyle version), here's a quick little visual sheet for you.  Hopefully it'll answer some questions for those that have them.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6295 on: August 16, 2023, 02:08:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This.
[close]

[close]
Probably a good guess I would say  ;)
Hello Santaaaaaa
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #6296 on: August 16, 2023, 02:55:32 AM »
What are the indoor soccer looking shoes Tom K wears in the new WKND video? Kinda got green reflective n, possible k detail on toe

On the treadmill at 7:42

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6297 on: August 16, 2023, 06:06:37 AM »
For those that have been asking about the differences between the NM480 (Numeric version) and the BB480 (Lifestyle version), here's a quick little visual sheet for you.  Hopefully it'll answer some questions for those that have them.

Awesome! Thanks. these little details are awesome to see. Smart.

Can someone post the Teddy Santis-esque colorway preview card again? Didn't see it in the previous couple of pages.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6298 on: August 16, 2023, 06:10:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Im too dumb to know how to post photos but on reynolds story there is a catalogue photo of all the 480 colorways
[close]
Yeah, I need a plug now. I’ll gladly buy all of them.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #6299 on: August 16, 2023, 07:52:45 AM »
I am on my first pair of 508s and I love them. They are quite narrow but skate incredible. Just wanted to leave that here.