Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798861 times)

DERBY and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Murray Hewitt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6510 on: September 04, 2023, 02:36:32 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6511 on: September 04, 2023, 02:48:36 PM »
Expand Quote

I like this look very much.

I was hoping for a product shot.   It’s coming in a little over a month, figured there’s be some kind of hint

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #6512 on: September 04, 2023, 04:08:17 PM »
Expand Quote
@rothdigga when can you start slipping us some teasers of Knox’s shoe
[close]

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwqIY7Lp1UP/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Man… last thing I need is another shoe to obsess over! These look promising!
Do you get deja vu, huh?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6513 on: September 04, 2023, 06:33:53 PM »
Ok I've been wearing the 440 lows for a few weeks.  First week was rough, going to a cupsole from a life in vulcs was one obstacle, but the inside where the arch is was killing my flat flipper feet, just cramping and general bad vibes, and just feeling kinda too tight mid foot.  I can still feel the pressure on my arch, but now it just feels nice.  Finally broke in I guess, but probably aren't the perfect shape for my foot anyway.  Loving the heel on them, soft heels on vulcs were what made me start looking for a cup. 

Also, it felt like I was hovering between the concave for a while, and I couldn't ollie in them for a good while, just felt like I was on stilts or something, totally seperated from my board, but now that's settled down and I can control my board again. 

So yeah, loving them.  Holding up super well too, they feel like a really strong shoe so far.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6514 on: September 04, 2023, 06:38:23 PM »
They're one of the thinnest most flexible cups on the market, so you'll probably get used to it in a month and never look back. I skated Vulcs as an adult until I tried some Jordan 1s and 440s. Somehow the Jordan's felt more natural but it was still a big adjustment. When I ruptured my ankle ligaments I skated Vans after I was cleared to skate and had so many small ankle rolls, heel bruises, and was just kinda noticing how unstable they are.

I first skated Crockett Highs, then 440s and 1010s. It was a weird 4-6 weeks but I skated Half Cabs a few times after and was like "there's no way these have any advantages".

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6515 on: September 04, 2023, 07:20:18 PM »
Anyone know what the most supportive NB Vulc is?  I tried the foys on but underneath the balls of my feet was so thin.  I’m coming from vans and those are a nice happy medium but am looking to mix things up. 

Also, sizing tips on suggested models would be a big help too.
Thanks for the help in advance

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6516 on: September 04, 2023, 07:43:32 PM »
Anyone know what the most supportive NB Vulc is?  I tried the foys on but underneath the balls of my feet was so thin.  I’m coming from vans and those are a nice happy medium but am looking to mix things up. 

I have the foy slips and I don’t think I can skate them anymore. They kill my feet. I’ve had the 440s and the 508s and 272s. I think the 272 was more supportive and gave as good if not slight better support and impact  protection than the 440s. And beat the 306 by a landslide.

But everyone’s different.

SBlover

• Rep: -16
« Reply #6517 on: September 04, 2023, 08:00:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have the foy slips and I don’t think I can skate them anymore. They kill my feet. I’ve had the 440s and the 508s and 272s. I think the 272 was more supportive and gave as good if not slight better support and impact  protection than the 440s. And beat the 306 by a landslide.

I’m super late on it but I know the Boss has his own 480 colorway but is he also getting his own signature shoe?

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #6518 on: September 04, 2023, 08:02:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m super late on it but I know the Boss has his own 480 colorway but is he also getting his own signature shoe?

Yes, it's being worked on but no official date is my understanding.

SBlover

• Rep: -16
« Reply #6519 on: September 04, 2023, 08:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, it's being worked on but no official date is my understanding.

Dude that’s so rad they’re giving him a signature at this stage of his career kudos to NB for doing the right thing. The shoe is going to be great I’ve seen so many videos of him showcasing his thought process when creating his own shoe how meticulous he is.

lordtrapula

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6520 on: September 04, 2023, 10:17:17 PM »
y’all weren’t kidding, 808’s feel sturdy as hell on the board

BUT

maybe it’s the sizing or I got narrow feet but walking in them are a pain

it’s only day 2 of wear so maybe they too raw, will report more later in the week

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:29:43 PM by lordtrapula »

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6521 on: September 04, 2023, 11:20:23 PM »
Currently skating 1010’s most of the time and love them. 9.5 and fit true to size. They look and feel awesome. Very comfortable and protective. The only thing is they’re a little bulky. I’ve definitely got used to them though and will be buying another pair. Also skating the 508’s here and there and enjoying those as well. A little narrow, snug fit. Skate and look great. Looking to get the Reynolds 480’s when they drop. Looks like I’ll probably be ditching Nike and Vans for now. Still might pick up adidas.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6522 on: September 04, 2023, 11:39:51 PM »
Ok I've been wearing the 440 lows for a few weeks.  First week was rough, going to a cupsole from a life in vulcs was one obstacle, but the inside where the arch is was killing my flat flipper feet, just cramping and general bad vibes, and just feeling kinda too tight mid foot.  I can still feel the pressure on my arch, but now it just feels nice.  Finally broke in I guess, but probably aren't the perfect shape for my foot anyway.  Loving the heel on them, soft heels on vulcs were what made me start looking for a cup. 

Also, it felt like I was hovering between the concave for a while, and I couldn't ollie in them for a good while, just felt like I was on stilts or something, totally seperated from my board, but now that's settled down and I can control my board again. 

So yeah, loving them.  Holding up super well too, they feel like a really strong shoe so far.

Good review. I LOVED the 440s when I got my first pair last spring. Wore them out, now on 508s, really like them as well but I kinda miss the amazing board feel of the 440s. Been thinking of trying a vulc in between but your post reminded me of the fact that I probably won't have to. Got a pair of 440s waiting on the shelf.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -494
« Reply #6523 on: September 05, 2023, 06:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I was hoping for a product shot.   It’s coming in a little over a month, figured there’s be some kind of hint

I wonder if it got pushed back . Or is NB just moving too quick these days . Poor frankys shoe was just unceremoniously released for like 2 weeks before they even got to pushing it then and then immediately forgotten for the  480. Now we’re 5-6 weeks out with a nary a product shot or catalog screenshot.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6524 on: September 05, 2023, 06:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wonder if it got pushed back . Or is NB just moving too quick these days . Poor frankys shoe was just unceremoniously released for like 2 weeks before they even got to pushing it then and then immediately forgotten for the  480. Now we’re 5-6 weeks out with a nary a product shot or catalog screenshot.

Wasn’t there another shoe in between Frankys and the 480?   I remember an ad of Tom Ka doing a trick whilst people are running around a track

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6525 on: September 05, 2023, 07:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wasn’t there another shoe in between Frankys and the 480?   I remember an ad of Tom Ka doing a trick whilst people are running around a track
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #6526 on: September 05, 2023, 08:32:19 AM »
y’all weren’t kidding, 808’s feel sturdy as hell on the board

BUT

maybe it’s the sizing or I got narrow feet but walking in them are a pain

it’s only day 2 of wear so maybe they too raw, will report more later in the week
It’s not you. They’re just stiff and shaped weirdly. Hopefully they're revamped one day.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:12:32 AM by OhioGuy »

rothdigga

• Rep: 585
« Reply #6527 on: September 05, 2023, 09:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Cause that’s not the release date NB# wanted. Funny enough, they’re off the site now. And not at the link you posted. So maybe someone is watching this thread? 👀

It’s fine, they saved me $100. With the way I skate I really shouldn’t be buying shoes at this rate.
[close]

I wonder if Rothdigga knows any NB people that could be watching this thread
[close]

Don't worry guys...no one here in this office looks at this thread.  All your secrets are safe with me.

Also...FYI- the Reynolds release date at shops is actually Sept. 15.  Sorry!  It got pushed back 1 week on me.
[close]

Curious as to why they got pushed back? Video to go with the shoe?
I feel like you're on to something here...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6528 on: September 05, 2023, 10:15:33 AM »
Really hoping a Reynolds is more like a 1010 than a brick style cup like an 808 or 480. Not because those shoes are bad, but they're just not my preference.

I've skated my 440 low and high lately and found that the slight increase of stiffness in the low makes them skate almost perfectly. Got 2 pairs of 1010 on deck I'm excited to get back to.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #6529 on: September 05, 2023, 01:19:21 PM »
Found this in an interview with numerics GM:

As far as product this year we launch our version of 3 shoes from New Balance’s rich archive. The NM 574 is our version of NB’s most famous classic running shoe but on a vulcanized sole. Then we delve into our rich heritage in basketball with the 480, a shoe from 1983 which we have rebuilt for skating, adding Fuelcell one of our leading performance foams and lots of skate ready details. The shoe launch will include a colourway by Andrew Reynolds, he helped us refine the design and Andrew is also working on a full signature shoe for 2025.

In October we bring Tom Knox’s first signature model shoe the 600. We started with another heritage model from the early 90s but modernised it for Tom’s needs with FuelCell midsole, FantomFit upper and other features that maintain the clean retro profile but with much higher standards of fit, cushioning and durability. This one is personal to me being European and being able to support Tom achieve his dream of a signature shoe. He already has earned his reputation, especially with the Atlantic Drift video series and has a global fan base, recently getting on Krooked skateboards and with an upcoming signature Dickies line, the shoe will be a deserved culmination of all that hard work.

https://www.boardsportsource.com/2023/08/04/big-wig-new-balance-numerics-general-manager-sebastian-palmer/

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6530 on: September 05, 2023, 01:32:31 PM »
one of each please, thanks..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6531 on: September 05, 2023, 01:39:08 PM »
I’m likely blanking, but outside of Rowley and Penny, have their been any other UK pro models?

(I feel like Wainwright had something with Vans…)

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #6532 on: September 05, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »
brian sumner ADIO
lucien clarke LV

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6533 on: September 05, 2023, 02:55:18 PM »

Expand Quote
As far as product this year we launch our version of 3 shoes from New Balance’s rich archive. The NM 574 is our version of NB’s most famous classic running shoe but on a vulcanized sole. Then we delve into our rich heritage in basketball with the 480, a shoe from 1983 which we have rebuilt for skating, adding Fuelcell one of our leading performance foams and lots of skate ready details. The shoe launch will include a colourway by Andrew Reynolds, he helped us refine the design and Andrew is also working on a full signature shoe for 2025.

In October we bring Tom Knox’s first signature model shoe the 600. We started with another heritage model from the early 90s but modernised it for Tom’s needs with FuelCell midsole, FantomFit upper and other features that maintain the clean retro profile but with much higher standards of fit, cushioning and durability. This one is personal to me being European and being able to support Tom achieve his dream of a signature shoe. He already has earned his reputation, especially with the Atlantic Drift video series and has a global fan base, recently getting on Krooked skateboards and with an upcoming signature Dickies line, the shoe will be a deserved culmination of all that hard work.
[close]

https://www.boardsportsource.com/2023/08/04/big-wig-new-balance-numerics-general-manager-sebastian-palmer/

Love the pic of the NB# UK team

rothdigga

• Rep: 585
« Reply #6534 on: September 05, 2023, 03:34:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

1/6 being British makes it UK right? 

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6535 on: September 05, 2023, 06:01:00 PM »
Really hoping a Reynolds is more like a 1010 than a brick style cup like an 808 or 480. Not because those shoes are bad, but they're just not my preference.

I've skated my 440 low and high lately and found that the slight increase of stiffness in the low makes them skate almost perfectly. Got 2 pairs of 1010 on deck I'm excited to get back to.

Have been thinking about this.  I tried on 440 Highs and Lows and got the lows because of the colourway, but kinda feel like the Highs felt softer and fit a bit snugger, which might have been an easier transition for me, but thought I must be imagining it so interesting to hear your opinion

DERBY

• Rep: 270
« Reply #6536 on: September 05, 2023, 06:13:42 PM »
any 1010 alternatives with a slightly less chunky heel? 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6537 on: September 05, 2023, 06:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
1/6 being British makes it UK right?

Hahah yup (but I’m guessing it was meant to be the signature shoe skaters photo)

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6538 on: September 05, 2023, 07:14:17 PM »

Went from blazers to #440's. Went on a skate trip and three days in my feet were destroyed. The board feel you describe is what turns me off of cups. There wasn't a cupsole that I've skated were that hasn't happened to me. Also the flick always felt like I was missing my flick. Like I had to put my whole foot on the board and wrench out a kick flip. The first time skating the 440's it was completely different. Board feel was meh, not like vulcs. But my flick was there. The floating ollies were gone as well. Such a good shoe. I think my first pair(tan with black sole) lasted me more than a month. Foot protection could be a little better. Was thinking about getting some fp insoles in the next pair i skate.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6539 on: September 05, 2023, 10:40:16 PM »
any 1010 alternatives with a slightly less chunky heel?

Probably 480s. I've not skated them personally, yet. Otherwise 440s, but they are not really an alternative imo. They are minimalist shoe, with VERY little protection, but they do skate amazing!