Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798802 times)

daditude adjustment and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

burm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6570 on: September 06, 2023, 10:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m likely blanking, but outside of Rowley and Penny, have their been any other UK pro models?

(I feel like Wainwright had something with Vans…)
[close]
Wainwright maybe had two vans shoes. Remember him saying he wanted a skateable presto but he got a massive shoe. Rattray had savier, Osiris and es, maybe Stu Graham had an Osiris, blondeys had his Adidas things, Brady had that Belmont xlk that wasn't quite a pro model but had multiple colours/ only him in the ads/ name on the tounge etc
[close]

Ah completely blanked on Rattray and Lucien.   Sumner was such an obvious one too.   Not quite counting colorways but I think Nick Jensen had a Lakai c/w as well and I feel like Chewy or Benny have to have had an adidas c/w at this point
[close]
Definitely had colourways. There's also the Adidas palace model so can a whole company have a pro shoe? Lol. If we're doing C/Ws then Ben raemers has es and cons, shier and Baines had Dvs(think Lucien had Dvs too).
Really seems like there should be more feels like there's been as many Australian pro shoes as British
[close]
Arto Saari
*and Ali Boulala of course
[close]

are you joking
Sorry, I thought I was referring to EU pro models shoes and either misquoted or misread
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #6571 on: September 07, 2023, 04:24:47 AM »
Does anyone know how the 480s compare to SB Dunks? Mainly in the forefoot. I saw the Dunks getting cut in half and they look thin.

I’m asking cause there’s some cheap ones on StockX. But I won’t bother if they’re thinner than the 480s.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #6572 on: September 07, 2023, 05:24:05 AM »
Does anyone know how the 480s compare to SB Dunks? Mainly in the forefoot. I saw the Dunks getting cut in half and they look thin.

I’m asking cause there’s some cheap ones on StockX. But I won’t bother if they’re thinner than the 480s.

didn't skate the 480s yet but dunks definetly feel thinner in the forefoot. still a great cupsole

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6573 on: September 07, 2023, 07:52:06 AM »
Had a major SAD (shoe acquisition syndrome) seizure today. Have plenty of shoes waiting for their turn, but just had to order another pair of red/white 440 lows with the suede upper toe strip, as it's basically the best shoe I've ever skated, and I dunno how long these are available for anymore. Sigh. Modern age, consumerism made too easy. Don't tell the missus.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #6574 on: September 07, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

didn't skate the 480s yet but dunks definetly feel thinner in the forefoot. still a great cupsole
I would say they #480 and an SB Dunk are pretty comparable shoes. The leather is different on The NBs so it's throwing me off a bit so to me they feel stiffer overall than new Dunks but boardfeelwise I would say they are in the same place.

I rewatched that Rose Anvil video and my takeaway was still that the SBs have the right amount of foam in the forefoot for a skate shoe. Any more and they would start to feel tanky. Basketball shoes from that era are inherently tanky so it's nice to have them modified a bit. You used to have to half way destroy them to get them broken in.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6575 on: September 07, 2023, 10:44:21 AM »
Dunks and Jordans are thinner than the 480 by a slight amount, but mainly just much more flexible. I find Jordans way easier to skate than 480.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6576 on: September 07, 2023, 11:33:22 AM »
Dunks and Jordans are thinner than the 480 by a slight amount, but mainly just much more flexible. I find Jordans way easier to skate than 480.
Thanks. I still like the 480s, but I’m concerned they won’t be easy to obtain in size 14. Saw them briefly on their shop then they vanished lol.

I’ve just come to the conclusion that I should leave 13s in the past. The 480s fit perfectly in the morning, but are snug in the evening once I’ve been walking around. I’m embarrassed to admit it took me so long to realize my feet grow a little during the day 🫠

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6577 on: September 07, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »
Oh that's not you that is totally natural. When I go from sea level to altitude when I rock climb and hike I need to use shoes that are a half size up for the first 1-2d since my feet/legs swell. I also get an AM/PM difference if I am super active and then have a period of chillin.

I'd highly recommend looking for sale/used Jordans if you like the 480. Your size is big enough you can likely find good deals on them. The stock insoles are not great, but you can swap em super easily.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6578 on: September 07, 2023, 11:52:30 AM »
Oh that's not you that is totally natural. When I go from sea level to altitude when I rock climb and hike I need to use shoes that are a half size up for the first 1-2d since my feet/legs swell. I also get an AM/PM difference if I am super active and then have a period of chillin.

I'd highly recommend looking for sale/used Jordans if you like the 480. Your size is big enough you can likely find good deals on them. The stock insoles are not great, but you can swap em super easily.
Ah, that makes me feel better. Which Jordan’s would you recommend?

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #6579 on: September 07, 2023, 12:13:23 PM »

Dunks have a thinner sole than the 480, especially in the forefoot. The dunk sole is more flexible because the midsole is only in the heel and arch. The 480 takes a while to break in but protects my feet much better. The 480 also has better grip.
How much for an order of ribs?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6580 on: September 07, 2023, 12:16:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dunks have a thinner sole than the 480, especially in the forefoot. The dunk sole is more flexible because the midsole is only in the heel and arch. The 480 takes a while to break in but protects my feet much better. The 480 also has better grip.
Sounds like the 440, which is what I feared. Thanks!

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6581 on: September 07, 2023, 12:36:10 PM »
anyone microwave the 480's yet to help the midsole break in?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6582 on: September 07, 2023, 12:40:44 PM »
Microwaving won't help the midsole break in. The foam breaks in by being compressed and skating in it. Walking around takes some edge off, but cannot compare to the impact of skating and a microwave will do fuck all for that. Microwaving might loosen up some of the glues used in the shoes and make it more pliable when you put them on after but I have never understood why people think it causes the shoe to break in faster.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6583 on: September 07, 2023, 12:41:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ah, that makes me feel better. Which Jordan’s would you recommend?

Jordan 1's. The 480s do have better grip for sure.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #6584 on: September 07, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Sounds like the 440, which is what I feared. Thanks!

Dunks are a little thicker in the forefoot than a 440.
How much for an order of ribs?

Daydream

« Reply #6585 on: September 07, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »
Microwaving won't help the midsole break in. The foam breaks in by being compressed and skating in it. Walking around takes some edge off, but cannot compare to the impact of skating and a microwave will do fuck all for that. Microwaving might loosen up some of the glues used in the shoes and make it more pliable when you put them on after but I have never understood why people think it causes the shoe to break in faster.
the old bend in your hand trick to encourage less stiffness, yea. Softens like you said, I assume to allow for ease of bending and wear in.

I have never done it. I wear my shoes casually to break em in. But you’re right nothing compares to actually skating/compressing

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6586 on: September 07, 2023, 02:39:10 PM »
A Jordan 1 that was made by NB is what I was hoping the 480 was. So if it is too stiff for you, try one of those, which are roughly similar in thickness.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6587 on: September 07, 2023, 05:36:48 PM »
I found some orange size 14 480# at a Delaware shop (Kinetic/Nocturnal). Gonna wear out my blue 13s then switch them out in the fall. Might grab some longer laces, though. To lock down the heels with some loops. Hopefully this works out 🤞🏾

Will also pick up some cheap Jordan 1s eventually.

icedancer

• Rep: -14
« Reply #6588 on: September 07, 2023, 10:04:15 PM »
I’m sorry for not looking through the thread but is there any word on a mid/high 480? Would love to skate that as an alternative to dunks. Also when are the 480s dropping in Australia?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6589 on: September 07, 2023, 10:17:40 PM »
I’m sorry for not looking through the thread but is there any word on a mid/high 480? Would love to skate that as an alternative to dunks. Also when are the 480s dropping in Australia?

Yeah they NB fellas made it sound like something like that is in the plans for the Future

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #6590 on: September 08, 2023, 04:52:02 AM »
Do you guys really find 440s as stiff as Dunks out of the box? 

For me, suede 440s feel almost perfect right out of the box (flex & boardfeel), whereas suede Dunks feel like bricks with way less boardfeel.   I need to put in 20-30 miles of dog walking before thinking about skating a dunk.   

Am I wearing my 440s wrong?

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6591 on: September 08, 2023, 05:07:15 AM »

For me, suede 440s feel almost perfect right out of the box (flex & boardfeel), whereas suede Dunks feel like bricks with way less boardfeel.   I need to put in 20-30 miles of dog walking before thinking about skating a dunk.   

No you're not. For me too suede 440s feel pretty much perfect right from the get go. "Stiff" is definitely not the word I would use with 440s, ever.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6592 on: September 08, 2023, 06:18:56 AM »
The Tom Knox 440H are the best “broken in” out the box shoes I’ve ever owned. Comfort wise they’re unmatched. The V2 would be perfect (for me) if they gave them a sole like the 480.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6593 on: September 08, 2023, 06:25:46 AM »
I am able to skate 440's right out of the box and almost prefer that. I have a pair I have been wearing casually to work and around that I just started skating and they almost feel floppy after a few sessions. Would never even consider that with dunks. The only other shoe I had ease of use right out of the box with was Janoski's when I was on those heavy.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Daydream

« Reply #6594 on: September 08, 2023, 06:36:53 AM »
So Reynolds’s 480 drop today?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6595 on: September 08, 2023, 06:39:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah they NB fellas made it sound like something like that is in the plans for the Future
That would be a dream. A mid/high NB cup
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6596 on: September 08, 2023, 06:59:56 AM »

I think you might have mis-read: we are saying the 480 are stiffer than Dunks and brick-like. The 440 are acknowledged to be very thin, almost too thin for many.

The 480 didn't work for me no matter how worn in, but the 440 have been in my rotation for a long time. I love the lows

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #6597 on: September 08, 2023, 07:10:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you might have mis-read: we are saying the 480 are stiffer than Dunks and brick-like. The 440 are acknowledged to be very thin, almost too thin for many.

The 480 didn't work for me no matter how worn in, but the 440 have been in my rotation for a long time. I love the lows

Gotcha, all good.  I guess the Reynolds 480s will be chillers for me then.

https://www.milk-store.com/en/products/new-balance-numeric-nm-480-bos-andrew-reynolds-chocolate-tan has a countdown timer.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6598 on: September 08, 2023, 08:01:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how long was this?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6599 on: September 08, 2023, 10:34:20 AM »
I skated them 5 times and walked my dog in them for around 5-6hrs. They wore in slightly the first day/sesh, but mostly the upper. The sole never wore in and I could never get used to it and skated comically shitty in them. The grip was fucking great though and honestly I wish my abilities/sensibilities didn't limit me with them as much as they did. They are a great shoe minus the leather interior, which I really did not care for. For me the flick was horrendously inconsistent.

Keep in mind that the thickest shoes I have skated since 2003 are Jordan 1/Dunks and 1010s. Neither of those is all that stiff in the scheme of things. The 480 felt like a toned down 808 to me.