Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798745 times)

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7830 on: November 16, 2023, 02:31:14 PM »
Has anyone skated the 808s and 480s who wouldn’t mind giving me their 2 cents on board feel comparison. I’ve had a couple of pairs of 306s and then 440s which I loved but just felt they were a bit too flimsy and under protected, my feet were taking a pounding and getting sore. Have got a pair of the 480s which feel a lot better in terms of protection but it’s taking me a bit of time to get used to the drop in board feel. Feels a bit like I’ve got a little platform between my shoes and my board of that makes sense. Maybe I need a bit more time to get used to them but was wondering if anyone knows how the 808s compare to the 480s in terms of board feel? Thanks!
Less boardfeel in the 808s. Also more break-in time. But they are currently my favorites.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #7831 on: November 16, 2023, 02:50:58 PM »
480 Highs might be dropping earlier than expected! I think a lot of people that regularly post in this thread will be just as stoked as I am.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.lakai.com/collections/cold-dawg-collection/products/villa-slate-navy-suede-ms4230140b00

Cody Chapman shoe dropped recently. What's the deal with this sole? I assume it's one of those cupsole/vulc hybrid things but it would be nice if someone finally made an actual cupsole hightop.
[close]

not a lot of options but

DC manteca hi
DC Cure hi
nb 440
lakai telford hi
forum adv hi
Dunk Hi*, they're a pain in the ass to find
Nike Leo's (highnest matter of opinion)
etnies rap hi
vans lizzie

black suede gum sole manteca hi's
https://www.dcshoes.com/men%2527s-manteca-4-hi-shoes-194466484914.html
[close]
I'm pretty sure the Lizzie is actually a vulc. The Crockett High is techically a cup but Van's Wafflecup tech is barely a step above a vulc. I would go as far as to say the same for the NB 440 since the midsole only goes part way up the sole. I've also been searching for a proper hightop cupsole lol

Those new Vans are... interesting? I guess I'm glad they're trying to branch out but I couldn't even see AVE wearing that.
[close]

Did I dream this or have we discussed the existence of a NB 480 mid/hi? I'm wanting a readily available cupsole high or mid and I really dig the 480s but my ankles are wonky (ligament strains maybe?) so Blazers with superfeet insoles are what I find myself skating more.
[close]
@rothdigga confirmed that 480 highs are coming out early 2024! I think it was discussed in the NB containment thread and some very low quality screenshots were posted of him skating an all black pair.
[close]
Possibly sooner than I stated above...stay tuned but weeks not months away

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7832 on: November 16, 2023, 03:35:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Like @OhioGuy was saying, I do not miss the tongue straps in the 480. They aren't moving around for me either. Normally I think they are pretty crucial.
[close]

This. I’ve seen no tongue movement without the straps, and I haven’t used the lace loop on the tongue either. That said, tongue strap or no tongue strap, I’ll still be buying them, assuming a strap doesn’t jack up the fit.

The 480 is a shoe I don’t have to think about when I wear it. It just feels right. It has become my favorite nb#. My go to. My daily driver. I could go on and on. Currently skating the Reynolds 480, and wearing the navy/white ones everywhere else. I fucking love this shoe.
[close]

Yeah I've been skating the 1010s almost exclusively for the past 3 years but the 480s felt perfect from the first session. Currently skating my second pair now and wearing a couple others around

If shoes had overall ratings like in 2K I'd say the 1010 still has the slightly higher rating but only because it has tongue straps, the heel pods, and a lil extra durability. I think the grip on the 480s is better, midsole cushioning is about the same, but the collar and upper of the shoe are thinner and make the shoe much lighter than the 1010. It still feels supportive and durable, just not to the same degree as the 1010s. They're both pretty balanced shoes but the 480s lean a lil more towards tech/responsiveness while the 1010s more padded upper and collar are more for higher impact skating or those who need extra support. Can't go wrong with either one tho IMO

I agree with everything you said. The 1010 is typically my other go to nb. Both fantastic shoes that my feet greatly appreciate. I like that the 480 is a little flatter from heel to toe than the 1010.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7833 on: November 16, 2023, 04:09:08 PM »
Someone post a pic of the 480 high plzzz

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7834 on: November 16, 2023, 11:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone skated the 808s and 480s who wouldn’t mind giving me their 2 cents on board feel comparison. I’ve had a couple of pairs of 306s and then 440s which I loved but just felt they were a bit too flimsy and under protected, my feet were taking a pounding and getting sore. Have got a pair of the 480s which feel a lot better in terms of protection but it’s taking me a bit of time to get used to the drop in board feel. Feels a bit like I’ve got a little platform between my shoes and my board of that makes sense. Maybe I need a bit more time to get used to them but was wondering if anyone knows how the 808s compare to the 480s in terms of board feel? Thanks!
[close]
Less boardfeel in the 808s. Also more break-in time. But they are currently my favorites.
480 have more board feel, less break in time and way more grip. In 808 I go +.5 and 480 are TTS for me. I like flick better on the 808 tho.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

colinjustdidthenoseslide

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7835 on: November 17, 2023, 12:07:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
480 have more board feel, less break in time and way more grip. In 808 I go +.5 and 480 are TTS for me. I like flick better on the 808 tho.

Thanks both, appreciate the info. I think I just need to give the 480s a bit more time to get used to after skating 440s for a while. Definitely feels like I’m saving my feet a bit more now which is good.

Vintagebody

« Reply #7836 on: November 17, 2023, 05:37:41 AM »
Ordered some 600's, 50% off! Size 10 in 440 highs is a little too roomy for me, so I went with a 9,5. Hope they fit perfect. Else I dont mind stretching them out for a sock-like fit. Also have 480 Reynolds on sale... But my feet are leaning towards narrow... Reynolds is my fav skater tho, so im still tempted.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7837 on: November 17, 2023, 09:04:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I never got used to the stiffness in the 480s, which sucks because the grip is great and they fit me really well. They are thicker and firmer, but don't pass the ankle roll test as well since they're taller than the 440 and don't hug the heel like a 1010 or 808 does. If the 1010 fits that might be a good compromise for you since the foam is softer, forefoot is slightly thinner, and the entire shoe flexes more.

The 808 have less board feel than the 480. I really wish Wear Tested or someone could do a cutout of the newer NB shoes to compare
[close]
[close]

Thanks both, appreciate the info. I think I just need to give the 480s a bit more time to get used to after skating 440s for a while. Definitely feels like I’m saving my feet a bit more now which is good.

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 15
  • VX1000
« Reply #7838 on: November 17, 2023, 09:32:27 AM »
Ordered some 600's, 50% off! Size 10 in 440 highs is a little too roomy for me, so I went with a 9,5. Hope they fit perfect. Else I dont mind stretching them out for a sock-like fit. Also have 480 Reynolds on sale... But my feet are leaning towards narrow... Reynolds is my fav skater tho, so im still tempted.

Link??
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7839 on: November 18, 2023, 09:10:02 AM »
Just wanted to chime in on the Knox 600. I gave them a go yesterday. Honestly one of the best shoes I've ever skated.
Even with a new board and fresh grip (which is usually has a big adjustment period for me). I did swap out the insole for the LRAB clouds, but mainly because I'm old and my feet kinda suck, especially coming off a month in a vulc shoe.
the grip is superb and the flick is amazing, board feel is top notch even with the thicker insole added. Clocked a good 3 hour session in them and have nothing but positive notes.
Will def be getting another pair when these are done.  10/10 I recommend picking them up if you're on the fence.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #7840 on: November 18, 2023, 10:22:12 AM »
Just wanted to chime in on the Knox 600. I gave them a go yesterday. Honestly one of the best shoes I've ever skated.
Even with a new board and fresh grip (which is usually has a big adjustment period for me). I did swap out the insole for the LRAB clouds, but mainly because I'm old and my feet kinda suck, especially coming off a month in a vulc shoe.
the grip is superb and the flick is amazing, board feel is top notch even with the thicker insole added. Clocked a good 3 hour session in them and have nothing but positive notes.
Will def be getting another pair when these are done.  10/10 I recommend picking them up if you're on the fence.

Sick to read! Thanks for the review.

I really feel like NB is making the best skate shoes of the modern era.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7841 on: November 18, 2023, 11:20:13 AM »
Which NB would be good for chilling? I was eyeing 550 but since those are basket tones I'm not that sure about how comfy they are.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #7842 on: November 18, 2023, 11:55:38 AM »
Which NB would be good for chilling? I was eyeing 550 but since those are basket tones I'm not that sure about how comfy they are.
Yeah 550s were the hit shoe of last year but tbh they’re kinda clunky, not super comfy. If you’re wanting chillers, maybe try some 2002s or the 860s. 860s have the same outsole as the 2002 but are mostly mesh, so they’re lighter, flexier and more breathable.
1010s are also a great chiller if you prefer a flat-soled shoe, not a runner.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

oldxdad

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7843 on: November 18, 2023, 02:35:12 PM »
After being on 1010/808/480 for the past year I just wanted to say that the 417 is a really great shoe.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #7844 on: November 18, 2023, 03:53:59 PM »
After being on 1010/808/480 for the past year I just wanted to say that the 417 is a really great shoe.

I’m waiting for the right colorway in those.   Wasn’t quite feeling launch white/green on foot

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #7845 on: November 18, 2023, 05:52:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Link??

Second this

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7846 on: November 18, 2023, 11:14:08 PM »

It was maybe a few pages ago but any flavor of the 990 is great. I have v3 and v5 I think and the v3 are a little better fitting but both are like walking on pillows.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #7847 on: November 19, 2023, 10:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Link??
[close]

Second this

Don’t know about 50, but 30% off at concepts.com
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:21:50 PM by Underpressureflips »

Vintagebody

« Reply #7848 on: November 20, 2023, 05:37:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Link??
[close]

Second this
[close]

Don’t know about 50, but 30% off at undefeated.com

Its a norwegian dealer... Huntinglodge.no.

Vintagebody

« Reply #7849 on: November 22, 2023, 11:43:50 PM »
Had my first session with the 600's. Very comfy, fits my foot perfect. It does seem to have some toe drop.
Very good heelflip shoe, very similar to 1010's. Def my new favorite NB. Its like a 1010 in the sense that I dont fear for my feet!

DanRar009

• Rep: 56
« Reply #7850 on: November 24, 2023, 10:50:40 AM »
Any info on 2024 Tom Knox colorways?

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #7851 on: November 24, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »
And there you have it, I know what my next shoe is. Plus, a guy at the park had some and said they were dope too.

dunc

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7852 on: November 25, 2023, 12:23:38 AM »

Probably purchased your chillers but I wanted to inform you of the best nb chillers I've ever had . I purchased some NB  x-90 ,s . They have been unreal. They breath well , fit like a glove and have lasted for ages. I have been on the look out for more but the seem to be hard to find. Maybe rothdigga will make a numeric chiller??If he did I would put in a proposal for this shoe.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #7853 on: November 25, 2023, 02:57:01 AM »
Tried on the black suede 600s and they felt a stiff, but when the white ones finally came in the mail, they fit just like everyone else has been raving about. 

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7854 on: November 25, 2023, 09:35:36 AM »
I'm also curious to see what they do with the Tiago line over time. One guy having 2 "flagship" tier pro models isn't super common in skateboarding but it seems like both models are doing well. Interested to see if they ever do a Tiago 3 or if they just keep both the 1010/808 in the lineup indefinitely

I say it at least once every year but I do think the 1010 should get the Busenitz treatment and just be in catalog forever

I'm hoping that they stick around.

I'm not like fixed. My ankles still hurt a little but yo

Before I got these I was scared the end was close. Now I know I'm going to roll for the rest of my life again.

Everything is fine.

Makes me wish I found them earlier.

I told ML Carr that NB needed a skate team back in 2005. He laughed. He said "SKATEBLOARDING?!?"

I was like yeah duh. Where's your local pride? You guys could get something cool and Small going.
The best skater in the world is from town.

Probably why I never got promised shoes and never offered me a nickel for all my work.

Apprenticeships only work if you're learning from someone who already knows how to do it. That wasn't the case at all.

I should have at least gotten the promised shoe like all the others who quit right after.

I stuck it out cuz of Lonnie Cartoon.
What a beautiful heart.

If anyone ever runs into her in life. Plz treat her nice.

She's one of the people who believed in me and had my back after my brothers murder.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7855 on: November 25, 2023, 09:38:11 AM »
finally skating 808s. a bit narrower than i prefer, even a 1/2 size up, but the reduction in pain is noticeable

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7856 on: November 25, 2023, 10:19:43 AM »
finally skating 808s. a bit narrower than i prefer, even a 1/2 size up, but the reduction in pain is noticeable

I agree a little tight but it definitely filled out.

The 8.5 is to small. The 9 dead on.

I'd say it's a full size jump from my usual size.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7857 on: November 25, 2023, 10:30:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree a little tight but it definitely filled out.

The 8.5 is to small. The 9 dead on.

I'd say it's a full size jump from my usual size.

i might need to try full size up idk

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #7858 on: November 25, 2023, 01:54:29 PM »

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7859 on: November 25, 2023, 03:43:04 PM »
https://cncpts.com/collections/new-balance?sort_by=price-ascending&filter.p.product_type=Footwear&filter.p.m.my_fields.gender=Mens&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=

A bunch of NB Numeric on sale plus code EX40 takes another 40% off. Pairs down to 30 some bucks
Really good sale I must say, and tons of sizes from what I saw, After all this 440 high footy I've seen lately i just had to try them. They look so good in footy but the pictures online just always turned me off for some reason. I must say they have some of the best colorways, almost every colorway on that site is a banger. I feel like the 1010 and 440 have such good colorways then like the foy has such shit colorways its odd. Anyway 40 or so bucks was a deal for a high top cup sole I can't complain, sick colorway too