Author Topic: pants in skateboarding  (Read 18073 times)

Budgie Lasek

Re: pants in skateboarding
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Another vote for overalls, this time from Dolan Stearns:

I'm also curious if anyone here ever skated these mythical Zara pants that Kyle Nicholson talks about here:
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/10/29/kyle-nicholson-deserves-more-coverage-so-we-interviewed-him/

Personally, I don't understand skating in slim fit AND non-stretch pants. I remember hearing about Corey Duffel buying Levis and sewing them into a skinny fit. How do you bend your knees and jump like that??? Even stretch pants start clinging to my knees with any bit of leg sweat.
[close]

I was a Duffel clone for a long time, spray on jeans were actually easier to skate in than the looser cuts i wear nowadays. there's a point where your women's jeans are so tight that its basically a second skin and you're almost as flexible as you would be if you were naked. They are prone to horrendous crotch blow outs though but I still get those now.. ive never had a pair of jeans/trousers that haven't eroded at the crotch and I do not have thick thighs in the slightest.. super acidic ball sweat to blame?

I wonder? I've made pants for over 25 years, the only thing that accounts for "eroded" material/seams at the crotch is when the pants are too tight, or the person has thick thighs (which is essentially the pants being too tight). Pants with limited mobility (no stretch, poor design) can rip at the crotch, but they wouldn't wear away - same with poor workmanship - the pants would rip, not eventually wear down and then rip. Do you ride motorcycles a lot possibly? That could contribute to wear without the pants being as tight.

Also, ^ right now we're in a period when looking as goofy as possible is basically what's hot, so, cue the overalls.

notcool

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
KREW jeans were very tight yet flexed. I blew the crotches out of all of mine though.  Except for the K05s i think they were called they were actually a baggy KREW pant.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:49:59 PM by notcool »

chipped tail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic khakis are all pretty good; soft and cheap online with a discount code or on a sale/clearance rack.

I generally run shorts and knee pads year round so I don't skate pants much but the Gap and company stuff wears well for me.
[close]
Gap/Old navy/ Bananarama pants are all cool if you dont mind crotch blow outs. Cant recommend them one bit for skating. even Levis 501s ripped hella easy. Work pants is a must for skating. Dont wear them to look like a cool 18 DIY builder guy, wear them because everything else gets ripped to shreds easily.
[close]

Do you possibly have thick thighs? The only people I can think of that I know who rip crotches in pants are a bit on the thick side. I have never blown out a crotch in my entire life - not even when I made a batch of stretch corduroy pants that ended up being very fragile. Other parts ripped, but not the crotch. I'm also a super flexible dude who's legs sometimes practically go over my shoulders when I slam, so my pants get put through the ringer. Still, no ripped crotches. Sounds like there's some other factor resulting in you ripping crotches. In my experience, people who wear pants that are too tight/small for them are the ones who have that issue.
nah im pretty average. I destroyed a bunch of cheap pants tho, some of which i got at old navy for like $12. they seemed like a good deal but they fucking sucked. I ripped some at the knee also from a weak slam. I switched to work wear and never torn any from one slam

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
polar surf pants are soo good but way too expensive. i blew the crotch out of pretty new pair so i took them to a tailor to fix and looked at me like i was crazy to get such cheap pants fixed. lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:49:18 PM by nopes »

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Tiago best pants in the game right now for me

didrik galasso, oski, korhn gayle wear these similar kinda pants, hard to describe but theyre cool

I dream of getting my dickies/cargos to swish at the bottom like rowan Zorillas
[close]

Polar surf pants

yes those i like em

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
polar surf pants are soo good but way too expensive. i blew the crotch out of pretty new pair so i took them to a tailor to fix and looked at me like i was crazy to get such cheap pants fixed. lol

Love them too but the dye they used on the black pair I got was garbage. After 2 washes they faded to a weird brownish grey usually reserved for overworn slipknot hoodies mall goths tend to wear. Not to mention they're dumb short.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »
How tall are you? Mine seem way too long and I’m 5’10”. I have a black pair with the dane dog print on them and they have held up fine colorwise. I have noticed they seem to use different material or quality randomly. I have 4 pairs and some feel a lot different than others.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
How tall are you? Mine seem way too long and I’m 5’10”. I have a black pair with the dane dog print on them and they have held up fine colorwise. I have noticed they seem to use different material or quality randomly. I have 4 pairs and some feel a lot different than others.

5' 11". I got a medium and if they're at my waist there's a 3" gap between the bottom of the hem and my shoes, which doesn't bother me, except that when I push they fucking ride up almost to my knee.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2018, 11:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Another vote for overalls, this time from Dolan Stearns:

I'm also curious if anyone here ever skated these mythical Zara pants that Kyle Nicholson talks about here:
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/10/29/kyle-nicholson-deserves-more-coverage-so-we-interviewed-him/

Personally, I don't understand skating in slim fit AND non-stretch pants. I remember hearing about Corey Duffel buying Levis and sewing them into a skinny fit. How do you bend your knees and jump like that??? Even stretch pants start clinging to my knees with any bit of leg sweat.
[close]

I was a Duffel clone for a long time, spray on jeans were actually easier to skate in than the looser cuts i wear nowadays. there's a point where your women's jeans are so tight that its basically a second skin and you're almost as flexible as you would be if you were naked. They are prone to horrendous crotch blow outs though but I still get those now.. ive never had a pair of jeans/trousers that haven't eroded at the crotch and I do not have thick thighs in the slightest.. super acidic ball sweat to blame?

Really tight pants also make your legs feel way stronger. Basically they act like support stockings.

Second date

• Rep: 2
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2018, 05:51:47 AM »
Polar Surf pants, Big Boys and the 93 Denim and chords.
I skate in both the Big boys and the 93 Denim and they're so good!
I've noticed when polar does the second and onward drop of a piece of clothing, the quality increases so much. They get the fits perfect and everything seems well tuned.
Big boys Big boys Big boys

Gasstationgarry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
Also always been a fan of the way Jake Andersons pants fit

don't know what it is, the way they catch the wind is just majestic
blob:https://imgur.com/99a29482-a4b4-4bd4-935b-d63d9db0e647

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 11
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
Also always been a fan of the way Jake Andersons pants fit

don't know what it is, the way they catch the wind is just majestic

This and The Austyn reference from earlier. I think the key is to buy the right size waist in a slim straight / modern straight legged pant and for the length go up a size so they meet at the ankles.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
T-Bags

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2018, 03:18:59 AM »
Polar Surf pants, Big Boys and the 93 Denim and chords.
I skate in both the Big boys and the 93 Denim and they're so good!
I've noticed when polar does the second and onward drop of a piece of clothing, the quality increases so much. They get the fits perfect and everything seems well tuned.
Big boys Big boys Big boys

haven't seen the 93s before, they're sick! happy medium between the 90s jeans and big boys and nice colors. i must cop a pair if i find them on sale anywhere.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate