Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309300 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: bikes
« Reply #3270 on: June 12, 2023, 02:43:08 AM »
Bike thieves… i was living in a small city with no bike scene and would ride my beater fixie around to bars. Could leave it outside and no one fucked with it. One night however i walked out of a Portuguese civic hall to smoke a j and watched this kid try to take off with it. Dude didnt know what a fixed gear was or how to ride it with no brake and ate shit 10 ft away. I just took my bike back and laughed at him
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #3271 on: June 12, 2023, 07:25:00 AM »
Expand Quote
3.5, but after today I feel like selling everything and buying a full suspension e-mountain bike.
[close]

I’d ask what happened today, but I already know.

Do it.
The trail closest to my house has Strava segments such as: “wall of pain 1, wall of pain 2, and it burns.”
I looked at the leaderboards for these and there’s no way people are posting these times on anything other than an e-bike. Not that I care about any of that, since 9/10 times I forget to turn the shit on. I was trying to figure out the grade % we were basically walking up and I saw <4 minute times… anyway, got down the mountain and I ate 3 pupusas and chugged 4 modelos then got a headache, went home and slept for 3 hours and pissed off my wife. E-bike.

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #3272 on: June 12, 2023, 08:35:16 AM »
How many bikes do you have in your quiver?

I’m up to 3…but considering 1 more just to install some handlebars I have in the closet on. Same handlebars as the beater I posted that was stolen. Velo orange randonneur
way too many, and probably not worth mentioning since i don't and have never owned a "nice" bike so this will be impressive to no one, but here's a detailed list just because

1. 70s raleigh grand prix single speed conversion
2. 91 miyata 914 that is mostly stock (look at those components, i wish i could convert this to today's equivalents https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_whtVpXkKwlQ/R2CYrjQprSI/AAAAAAAAAj0/P0e__VEsmYI/s1600/img274.jpg)
3. mid 90s something giant yukon to 1x7 "bmx cruiser"
4. 06 bianch w.u.s.s. 26" ss mtb
5. 95 diamondback lakeside (a restoration project that got way out of hand, think i swapped nearly every single part on it)
6. 21 dk helio 24" bmx
7. 22 sunday forecaster 20" bmx
8. subrosa utb (cheap 700c single speed i use as a trainer bike)

and a 91 trek 820 antelope and 94 stumpjumper i am in the middle of restoring

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3273 on: June 12, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
3.5, but after today I feel like selling everything and buying a full suspension e-mountain bike.
[close]

Do it.
[close]
The trail closest to my house has Strava segments such as: “wall of pain 1, wall of pain 2, and it burns.”
I looked at the leaderboards for these and there’s no way people are posting these times on anything other than an e-bike. Not that I care about any of that, since 9/10 times I forget to turn the shit on. I was trying to figure out the grade % we were basically walking up and I saw <4 minute times… anyway, got down the mountain and I ate 3 pupusas and chugged 4 modelos then got a headache, went home and slept for 3 hours and pissed off my wife. E-bike.

If you have a non-zero interest in an eMTB, I can assure you you’ll love it. Do it sooner than later, and let the fun begin.
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3274 on: June 12, 2023, 08:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do it.
[close]
[close]

If you have a non-zero interest in an eMTB, I can assure you you’ll love it. Do it sooner than later, and let the fun begin.

My friends who have made the switch swear that it’s basically the best thing ever. I’m stuck plodding along on my rigid now with my riding homie and his Specialized eMTB.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 811
« Reply #3275 on: June 13, 2023, 03:11:25 AM »
Four plus a frame and bits. Plan on selling all the vintage ones as I never use them. All bmx's.

1- S&M BMT brakeless cassette
2- S&M ATF brakes free coaster (for now)
3- 1987 MBK with plastic five spoke wheels.
4- 1982(?) Motobecane MX-200
5 - 1983 Raleigh Burner MK1 missing the handle bars

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3276 on: June 13, 2023, 06:32:06 AM »
If ebikes weren't so dang expensive I would totally grab one. The best downhill runs here have excruciating climbs and it really limits the laps you can do. Some of the old guys I dirt bike with have grabbed emtb for cross training and they love it.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3277 on: June 13, 2023, 11:31:18 AM »
Anyone attending Eurobike next week?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3278 on: June 13, 2023, 12:10:42 PM »
Was biking into the wind yesterday when an old dude on an eMTB leisurely cruises past me with his dog in a basket (think like wicked witch of the East style). Seeing that, I sucked his wheel for a couple of miles. Thank you, eBikes.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3279 on: June 13, 2023, 12:32:34 PM »
Damn @TastyBurrito that's sick looking. Love that shade of blue

Thank you!!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3280 on: June 13, 2023, 02:31:14 PM »
ive owned ~50 bikes in my life, but i only have two right now. at my height i prolly had like 4 in various states of functionality

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #3281 on: June 13, 2023, 05:42:39 PM »
2. 91 miyata 914 that is mostly stock

Well that's a beaut.

I'm still using a 2010 Cross Check as my daily commuter and a 91 Trek 1200 as the weekender. Bikes come and go, but those two are going to stay with me until I die.

323-BALM

« Reply #3282 on: June 14, 2023, 07:27:46 AM »
If ebikes weren't so dang expensive I would totally grab one. The best downhill runs here have excruciating climbs and it really limits the laps you can do. Some of the old guys I dirt bike with have grabbed emtb for cross training and they love it.

self-shuttling heavy trails with an ebike is the best mtb experience I’ve found. Best two-wheeled activity yet.

They are expensive, but I’ve found them to be the best bang for buck of any mtb I’ve had. They make every trail fun. Every time!

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3283 on: June 14, 2023, 07:55:38 AM »
I have my full squish that I got for my 40th and I also have a rigid 27.5+ that I built; I ride that more than anything. Maybe I’ll save my Pennies and pick one up for my 50th in 9 years.

323-BALM

« Reply #3284 on: June 15, 2023, 12:18:56 PM »
they get better every day, I can only imagine they will be nuclear powered in five years!

yesterday was another best day ever on the new one. love it

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3285 on: June 15, 2023, 02:26:53 PM »
I think EMTBs are banned on some trails around here.  They supposedly tear up the trails too much, but I think those folks are referring to their egos.

Word?

You guys are selling me on one.

323-BALM

« Reply #3286 on: June 15, 2023, 04:26:56 PM »
I've found all the anti-ebike arguments are based in insecurity. Fragile cyclist shit. It's been interesting to watch the rhetoric change as their popularity has grown...whenever their claims are shown to be untrue, they just pick a new one. Where I ride the anti's have just reached the point where they're completely ignored--the thing they fear the most! They tried safety, trail wear, paternalistic "noobs will be hurt / lost", cheating, whatever...it's all bullshit! Every single one of their reasons has been defeated by exposure, and now their heroes (be they famous pros or local legends) are on ebikes, and they're just grumblers...I've been there, into outdated shit and mad that nobody cares and holy shit stop stop stop nobody's listening and the world's passing me by haha it's pretty funny.

It's analogous to bowl troll rules-of-skateboarding guys getting mad at TJ's durag. "This isn't what it's all about!" Turns out the ebikers I know are way more into riding than the purist pedalers. Backwards fundamentalists... (I get to be double SOTY in this analogy, which is sick)

It's hard to unbake the COVID out of the mix. MTB trails went apeshit with all sorts of people who weren't riding before--either short or long-term. And that's still the case. Turns out trail damage per tire isn't any different than a pedal bike, but it was one of the measurable arguments that I was willing to listen to...ebike/rider are 20 pounds more than pedalbike/rider, so there logically could be something there, but I ride with dudes who are 20 pounds lighter / heavier than I am, so it's impossible...ebikes don't roost, that's the main point...and again, lost in sheer numbers of total riders...and yeah if I'm getting four laps instead of my usual two, and that's "twice the damage," would they be stopping someone from getting more hyped on riding and just going more often on their pedal bike? Impossible. Institute a weight limit? No. More riders has definitely turned into more volunteers on the trails for maintenance anyways, which is definitely a plus.

Lots of fast riders are macho pricks, so the idea that someone roasts them on a climb makes them angry. That's it. That's all.

I will return to tell you how rad the last four years of riding eMTB have been but holy shit i'm so hyped

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3287 on: June 16, 2023, 05:10:50 AM »
Find me next season on the trail with an EMTB, durag, and Timberlands hurting all sorts of feelings.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3288 on: June 16, 2023, 08:09:00 AM »
I've found all the anti-ebike arguments are based in insecurity. Fragile cyclist shit. It's been interesting to watch the rhetoric change as their popularity has grown...whenever their claims are shown to be untrue, they just pick a new one. Where I ride the anti's have just reached the point where they're completely ignored--the thing they fear the most!

Yeah, where I am in the PNW, the fight is just completely over. I see mixed groups with some older guys riding their e-MTBs and the younger riders on their traditional bikes, no one cares. I will acknowledge that, at first, there were some legitimate questions about riding e-bikes on certain trails where motorcycles are banned; some confusion about how the rules applied. But that's more or less sorted out now, and there are some places they can't go but mostly they're everywhere.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 08:17:12 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

323-BALM

« Reply #3289 on: June 16, 2023, 09:22:01 AM »
Find me next season on the trail with an EMTB, durag, and Timberlands hurting all sorts of feelings.

yeah I guess my analogy is a bit clunky...I just want to be switch ollie picnic table guy!

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #3290 on: June 16, 2023, 10:10:09 AM »
get one of your boys to tow you in on the e-bike, you'll get enough speed to crack that sw ollie

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3291 on: June 16, 2023, 11:54:03 AM »
I will say, having formerly worked at a fairly large eMTB company, we did do a lot of research on eMTB impact on trails, and a ton of outreach with park rangers, Bureau of land management, Forest service to educate them and lend them bikes to learn for themselves. Realistically, a *regulated* eMTB is the same weight as the MTBs of the 90s and don't have significantly more impact vs standard mtbs. The problem is that provides cover to the non-regulated shit that are basically electric dirt bikes with 1500w motors but they're saying "what's the problem its electric".

The other issue is that mtb trails occupy such a crazy patchwork of differently regulated lands, so you're having to figure t out with 4-5 different federal or state agencies, and each of them will have their own Bias, so in one area it might be totally fine and welcome and in others they're cracking down hard. it was really difficult a couple of years ago.

however, it's pretty much inevitable now especially with some of the larger bike parks being open to eMTB. I travel a lot for events and I can say personally being able to drive from Sea Level to 8k feet of elevation and still being able to trail ride for 1-2 hours is priceless.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 811
« Reply #3292 on: June 16, 2023, 03:38:18 PM »
My problem with E-bikes is the batteries are fuckin horrible.look into the mines for Li and Nb..and 99% of the folk I see using them need the exercise....don't even get me started on the fucking eScooters .

I understand that we need to move away from oil but no one is giving up a motorcycle for an eBike

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3293 on: June 16, 2023, 03:58:40 PM »
e bike luddite forever

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3294 on: June 16, 2023, 05:10:59 PM »
RIP Gino Mader.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 06:06:20 AM by tadej Pog »
Miss you Rusty Berings

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3295 on: June 17, 2023, 11:40:15 AM »
RIP Gino Mader.

RIP. Bicyclists dying doing what they love hits me hard. Life is short.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gino-mader-dies-after-tour-de-suisse-crash/

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3296 on: June 17, 2023, 11:53:44 AM »
Expand Quote
How many bikes do you have in your quiver?

I’m up to 3…but considering 1 more just to install some handlebars I have in the closet on. Same handlebars as the beater I posted that was stolen. Velo orange randonneur
[close]
way too many, and probably not worth mentioning since i don't and have never owned a "nice" bike so this will be impressive to no one, but here's a detailed list just because

1. 70s raleigh grand prix single speed conversion
2. 91 miyata 914 that is mostly stock (look at those components, i wish i could convert this to today's equivalents
3. mid 90s something giant yukon to 1x7 "bmx cruiser"
4. 06 bianch w.u.s.s. 26" ss mtb
5. 95 diamondback lakeside (a restoration project that got way out of hand, think i swapped nearly every single part on it)
6. 21 dk helio 24" bmx
7. 22 sunday forecaster 20" bmx
8. subrosa utb (cheap 700c single speed i use as a trainer bike)

and a 91 trek 820 antelope and 94 stumpjumper i am in the middle of restoring

This is a craigslist white-whale of mine. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3297 on: June 17, 2023, 12:57:34 PM »
Fairdale Express. Been through a lot with this bike. Has a frame bag and pannier bag since it's currently my main mode of transportation, but I also have a Fairdale skate rack that I took off for this ride. I really do want an upgrade though but there's so many options on the market.

Also kinda dumb question, but does anyone here wear goggles/eyewear that fully covers the eyes? I wear prescription glasses and lately I keep getting debris in my eyes while cycling.

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3298 on: June 17, 2023, 11:45:54 PM »
Just some wraparound Oakleys like the kook I am.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3299 on: June 18, 2023, 10:28:46 PM »
Also kinda dumb question, but does anyone here wear goggles/eyewear that fully covers the eyes? I wear prescription glasses and lately I keep getting debris in my eyes while cycling.
i have a pair of oakley radar ev paths that i like a lot. i ordered online and got lucky with the fit to my face, since i imagine it varies a bit between brands and models. unfortunately i've been finding lately that nothing helps with the dust getting kicked up when you're riding behind others. i've had an irritated eye for a few days 2 out of the past 4 weeks from that. hoping it was just my allergies really acting up coincidentally and not the dust but we'll see.