Author Topic: Axion disrespecting Kareem  (Read 13079 times)

thehogsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: Axion disrespecting Kareem
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2022, 05:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hey, maybe adidas will take another run at him and put out a proper signature shell toe.
[close]

He didn’t get one in that release they did with Joey Bast, Angelides and two others?
[close]
key being proper. the collection they did was just shades of the same shoe, none of them being particularly unique. besides, I feel like kareem is more of a pro model guy over superstars. I mean I think at this point, he'd deserve to put his own spin on it, that isn't shades of white and black.
[close]

Actually all the colours were based on the colours the dudes used to skate back in the 90s so they were pretty on point.
But yeah anyways new Axion is doing a good job on the reissues but the company is wack as hell but Kareem also seems like a kook now so here we are.
Yeah I had red flags months ago, tried to listen to the ghetto bird but it was just an agonizing listen. the whole city stars nonsense seems like every other rebirthed retro company. it's a vicious cycle. sometimes it's nice to bring things back, but for much of the time quality is never there and there is virtually zero cultural relevance.
With regards to the shoes, they're still pretty lacking imo. it's just basic superstars with skater's faces put on them. It would be nice for adidas to push the envelope once in a while, and that's what I mean by a proper shoe.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2022, 03:43:14 AM »
Expand Quote

yeah I know he was dope, obviously....I actually saw him skate a French contest around 96 or 97ish....(where a tiny 11year-old Bastien made it to the final, but that's a whole other story)
but come on, in the same league as Penny?? or even better? that's a hard no from me. I saw Penny skating live twice and believe me, Kareem did not make the same impression on me. nowhere near as talented. and puzzling.
[close]

I am not going to knock on Penny. I saw Penny skating live and I prefer to watch Penny footy but from a purely aesthetic point of view, at least on those photos/ads, Kareem had the better fits and steez. That's what I meant by saying he made skateboarding look good. But again, Penny is my favorite skater of all time and I will certainly not try to change your mind.

Edith: Those Houston pants are hilarious.

oh if we are talking strictly photos I get what you mean.
Anyways this whole conversation got me thinking about those old days, and waxing nostalgic (again) about how raw that shit was. Compared to the olympics/social media/skate coaches era we are in now. The French contest I mentioned was in Montpellier and I remember one American pro mentioning afterwards in an interview that he got half his "prize money" in bags of weed hahaha.....
also there was the contest during the day, concerts at night and anyone could come skate the course and vert ramp at wish during the concerts. Such beautiful fucking chaos, I mean dozens of skaters halfway drunk/stoned trying to skate the course at the same time, with French firemen standing by for injuries.... Hilarious when I think back on it!
Anyways let's get back to laughing at those jeans (eeew) and that clusterfuck of a situation around Axion. I don't even understand why this company is brough back btw, the legacy seems pretty lacking IMHO.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2022, 05:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah I know he was dope, obviously....I actually saw him skate a French contest around 96 or 97ish....(where a tiny 11year-old Bastien made it to the final, but that's a whole other story)
but come on, in the same league as Penny?? or even better? that's a hard no from me. I saw Penny skating live twice and believe me, Kareem did not make the same impression on me. nowhere near as talented. and puzzling.
[close]

I am not going to knock on Penny. I saw Penny skating live and I prefer to watch Penny footy but from a purely aesthetic point of view, at least on those photos/ads, Kareem had the better fits and steez. That's what I meant by saying he made skateboarding look good. But again, Penny is my favorite skater of all time and I will certainly not try to change your mind.

Edith: Those Houston pants are hilarious.
[close]

oh if we are talking strictly photos I get what you mean.
Anyways this whole conversation got me thinking about those old days, and waxing nostalgic (again) about how raw that shit was. Compared to the olympics/social media/skate coaches era we are in now. The French contest I mentioned was in Montpellier and I remember one American pro mentioning afterwards in an interview that he got half his "prize money" in bags of weed hahaha.....
also there was the contest during the day, concerts at night and anyone could come skate the course and vert ramp at wish during the concerts. Such beautiful fucking chaos, I mean dozens of skaters halfway drunk/stoned trying to skate the course at the same time, with French firemen standing by for injuries.... Hilarious when I think back on it!
Anyways let's get back to laughing at those jeans (eeew) and that clusterfuck of a situation around Axion. I don't even understand why this company is brough back btw, the legacy seems pretty lacking IMHO.

I have seen them both skate in their prime, probably about the same time OldieButFrenchie saw them and Kareem had great energy and charisma, doing huge nollie hard flips to fakie and switch hardflips on steep banks but that's pretty much all I remember from him.

Penny was in a league of his own (like Frenchie wrote) and also somewhat of a fashion icon. I remember the year after that Radlands contest where he wore kakis and a dark green polo shirt I went to a Euro contest and we saw dozens of kids wearing that combo.

I think his fashion sense went downhill during the filming of Sorry, the layers of XXXL shirts, the T shirt bandana and his Muska style fits in his Supra years.

He also wore super baggy clothes in his early years before he came to the US but everybody wore that back then. 

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2243
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »

…let's get back to laughing at… Axion. I don't even understand why this company is brough back btw, the legacy seems pretty lacking IMHO.
@OBF, my guess is: legacy or lack there of, it was a brand that had NOT YET been exploited & “Action Steve” & his investors saw an opportunity to exploit some old heads out of a few no$talgia buck$.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2022, 11:12:14 PM »
Bye bye Axion. Dont fuck with Kareem

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2022, 01:03:31 AM »
wow I thought I was blocked or something but everything is actually gone :o

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2022, 09:15:06 AM »
wow I thought I was blocked or something but everything is actually gone :o
OOOH SHIT

its this the first skate brand that DIES 3 TIMES?

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2022, 09:24:57 AM »
Website is still up but no product. their FB page still has the Kareem leaving post and a tease at the fall/winter 22 line up. Now I don't know if the company is for real done or is this just a wipe the slate clean of anything with Kareem involved?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »
Holy shit!!!
Axion_Steve got his operation shuttered by KC!
I just popped by the website & it’s been stripped.
As of last week, the Axion site had an About Tab in their drop down menu that talked about their connection to Kareem, culture, etc, that has now been rewritten w/ mumbo-jumbo copy such as, “Striving to set the bar and not follow…”
LOL! WHY would you publish a press release like that with a biz model based on reissues?!?
Also, their outdated Team Tab that still featured Kareem (and a few others) has now been scrubbed & features a coming soon message.
Also, also, noticed 100% of their merch has been removed from the Shop Tab & replaced with an optimistic “will return soon w/ the fall/winter 2022 collection” message.
Did ‘Reem really get that shit shut down?!?
Wild if true.
You love to see it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2022, 10:01:43 AM »
Gotta love some friday skate gossip

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »
Website is down for a relaunch soon (according to the web store).   I think the IG is just the same way.   

I don’t see how Kareem could have shuttered them at all or so quickly.   

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2022, 02:39:54 PM »
This thread is wild. Best on slap rn

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2022, 04:37:41 PM »

Need a Kareem part to this song now.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2022, 11:03:01 PM »
Maybe they’re just letting #axionspeaklouderthanwords

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2022, 11:29:11 PM »
“Coming Soon: Our webstore is currently closed and will reopen soon with our Fall/Winter 2022  collection.
For information regarding future news and releases, please sign up for our mailing list below.”

So they scrubbed their IG.  A lot of athletes lately do that and the re-sign with that same team.   They’re just getting rid of any Kareem stuff and distancing themselves from bad comments until they have new stuff to drop and people have mostly forgotten about the whole issue. 

I am impressed with how fast you guys think the court system moves to think that Kareem, who was seemingly an employee, not a co-owner, could shut them down in 2 weeks

IpathCats

« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2023, 05:52:11 AM »
I love kareems skating, total legend, and whoever is running the Axion page is def making a bad business call by handling things this way.

But

That doesn't mean what they are saying isnt true. You hear about personalities like this all the time, especially in skateboarding. And correct me if im wrong, but he hasnt exactly been successful after his prime at all. I'd say that says a decent bit about someone, especially since you KNOW he had that THPS money and still couldnt make something happen.

IDK, kareem is a legend, Axion IG is being lame, but they may have a legitimate point.

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2023, 06:01:27 AM »
Look I've been saying this the whole time, although they are making decent reissues, the new Axion is run by a bunch of non-skate kooks, primarily this dude @axion_steve who was running Supra for awhile:

But also they're probably not wrong with everything they're saying about Kareem, so yeah the whole thing is just an embarrassing mess.

Obv none of us know for sure but the heat axion was throwing comes off as legitimate.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2023, 06:35:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Look I've been saying this the whole time, although they are making decent reissues, the new Axion is run by a bunch of non-skate kooks, primarily this dude @axion_steve who was running Supra for awhile:

But also they're probably not wrong with everything they're saying about Kareem, so yeah the whole thing is just an embarrassing mess.
[close]

Gentle Jones lookin mf'r
[close]

is this the gentle jones guy you are talking about?

don't summon him, fr fr

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2023, 07:17:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Obv none of us know for sure but the heat axion was throwing comes off as legitimate.
ohyeahohyeah

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2023, 01:40:09 PM »
kareem kickflipped a standing barrel in trilogy from flat. pretty fucked. @3:47

So sick. Respect
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2023, 06:39:31 AM »
It’s like Michael Jordan the athlete vs Michael Jordan the GM.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »
Top five styles of all time. Don shit.

Also: "Fishy from day one" - B. Valdes about Menace checks.

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2023, 10:19:25 AM »
didn't that guy have beef with Andy "always horny time" Roy couple years back in SC?
Free Charlie Rambo

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2023, 06:14:45 PM »
kareem kickflipped a standing barrel in trilogy from flat. pretty fucked. @3:47

thats the check the pager line. probably one of my favourite lines of all time

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2023, 06:20:44 PM »
didn't that guy have beef with Andy "always horny time" Roy couple years back in SC?

Now that you said that, I had to go back and check that Axion Steve and Steve "Birdo" Guisinger were two different ppl because they do look similar. Axion Steve has a diff last name.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2023, 06:30:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Now that you said that, I had to go back and check that Axion Steve and Steve "Birdo" Guisinger were two different ppl because they do look similar. Axion Steve has a diff last name.
Come to think of it… I never have seen them in the same room. 🤔

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1169
  • old and in the way
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2023, 08:41:28 PM »