Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720421 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5370 on: September 28, 2023, 12:40:45 PM »
Were F4 og classics not selling well? Why aren't they making them again? Were they too similar to conicals? Superficial reasons for really wanting a set but I liked the black ring on the non swirl side of the wheels and I really want them to restock.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #5371 on: September 28, 2023, 01:27:08 PM »
Expand Quote
when did Formula 4s first released? I don't remember when that happened, as I was probably broke and not paying attention to what people with money buy. I feel like Spitfire popularity really ramped up when F4s showed up. I could be mistaken.

If Spitfire made a new formula, would they call it the formula 5? Or would they try to keep to keep the Formula 4 branding? like an F4+ or something?
[close]

Check the beginning of this thread. I'm not sure why they'd need a new formula. They could obviously try the current soft wheel that slides thing that has everyone excited about Bones again but that might be an addition to not a replacement for F4s... who knows... It will take a lot to get me off F4s at this point.

Thanks. I didn't realize the this thread was from 2013. So I guess were coming up on the 10 year anniversary of f4 dominance

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5372 on: September 28, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »
when did Formula 4s first released? I don't remember when that happened, as I was probably broke and not paying attention to what people with money buy. I feel like Spitfire popularity really ramped up when F4s showed up. I could be mistaken.

If Spitfire made a new formula, would they call it the formula 5? Or would they try to keep to keep the Formula 4 branding? like an F4+ or something?

People definitely enjoyed Spitfire's Formula 1 wheels back then, and a lot of people were skating the classic formula too.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 25
« Reply #5373 on: September 28, 2023, 02:03:30 PM »
Were F4 og classics not selling well? Why aren't they making them again? Were they too similar to conicals? Superficial reasons for really wanting a set but I liked the black ring on the non swirl side of the wheels and I really want them to restock.
I keep thinking the same thing. Seems like they enjoy giving us something cool, then immediately taking it away.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #5374 on: September 28, 2023, 02:40:34 PM »
^im another OG classic lover.  would love some 54mm f4's

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5375 on: September 28, 2023, 03:10:56 PM »
Not sure how you’d improve on 99/101 F4s.

People skated og and F1 but STF were the dominating wheel as they were/are tough as hell to flat spot compared to v1s which, we’re kind trash in that regard at that time.

F4s released and they’ve been on top since…bones seemingly admitted defeat and went off to R&D the x / dragon formulas (with great success).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 04:22:33 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5376 on: September 28, 2023, 04:10:39 PM »

They might have held off remaking more squared off slim shape wheels, given the current trend of everything being bolldozer sized wheels coming out right now, but who knows.

Even the catalogs and things that had them coming out seem to have not come through, so I am guessing it is the current market, where the Conical and Classic are the main wheels in the not so wide category that they still make all the time and then the other newer shapes with Full in the name being the main ones they have been working on and producing.

Even the normal Radial shape is a good one and might sell better than the OG Classic, with Radial in 53, 54, 55 and 56 mm sizes in production more recently too.  I have some of the 54, 55 and 56 and they just skate so well.

Also funny seeing the first page way back in Feb 2013 when Formula Four ads were first hitting the market.  Pretty happy looking back at everything that has happened since then, given how many sets I have had come through my hands and what I have happily skated for this last decade.

I don't think the formula will change at all, but developing different duro options is a good one.  I wonder what happened to those 95 duro test wheels that Andrew Reynolds posted a while back, or other options that people had talked about.

Whatever the case, I am good with what is under my feet and I can't ask for anything more than that really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5377 on: September 28, 2023, 06:34:12 PM »
Sadly, the 8 of us on these forums that want the wheel, even if we e-mailed or DM'd like men, everyday, we'd never get them ;)

Bones x99 V1 are my go to instead these days as I like a thin(ner wheel) and sadly Spit doesn't offer anything that suits me.

I wish they retired Tablets, they had their time in the sun but it's time to return to the classics (Radial Slims).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5378 on: September 29, 2023, 12:14:04 AM »
I don’t know if I had any sway, I probably didn’t. But on every wheel release post Spitfire put up on Instagram.

I basically just said “these are good but where are the radials?” And after some time the Leo baker ones came out and I stock piled

Might take some time but you guys could try

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5379 on: September 29, 2023, 12:16:01 AM »
^im another OG classic lover.  would love some 54mm f4's
I miss my F4 OG classics, the GT ones 53mm, every single day.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5380 on: September 29, 2023, 02:15:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Sadly, the 8 of us on these forums that want the wheel, even if we e-mailed or DM'd like men, everyday, we'd never get them ;)

Bones x99 V1 are my go to instead these days as I like a thin(ner wheel) and sadly Spit doesn't offer anything that suits me.
[close]

I wish they retired Tablets, they had their time in the sun but it's time to return to the classics (Radial Slims).
IG: @flowterspace

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5381 on: September 29, 2023, 07:09:10 AM »
I don’t know if I had any sway, I probably didn’t. But on every wheel release post Spitfire put up on Instagram.

I basically just said “these are good but where are the radials?” And after some time the Leo baker ones came out and I stock piled

Might take some time but you guys could try

I did that with Radial Slims. They literally sent me the last three sets (all 52mm/101a) they had in the warehouse. Dude who runs their IG said he keeps telling them to make Rad Slims...but we all know where that has gone.

I am actually surprised they haven't re-released the Classic Fulls, with the current monster truck wheel trend.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #5382 on: September 29, 2023, 07:38:02 AM »
Love some Classic fulls again.

Also, why don't they market Lil Smokies more? I see them in online shops priced anywhere from $20 to $49... Those things are little gems for the BPSW curious, if you can get them for the right price. They put some out in a radial shape at some point.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5383 on: October 01, 2023, 04:35:52 PM »
Love some Classic fulls again.

Also, why don't they market Lil Smokies more? I see them in online shops priced anywhere from $20 to $49... Those things are little gems for the BPSW curious, if you can get them for the right price. They put some out in a radial shape at some point.

Agreed on the Classic Full shape, although I probably have a lifetimes worth still and have been riding other shapes more commonly on smaller setups, but the sets of 56 and 58 mm Classic Full wheels I have are just so good on bigger boards or setups I used more for big transition or going fast type boards.  I just don't skate much of that any more.  The couple of sets of 54 mm Classic Full wheels are still going nicely on smaller setups I skate on my mini ramp, so I could see that size being a bit more common, but they are not that far off the other Classics, compared to these bigger ones that are way wider overall.

Eg

52       33       18
53       33.5    18.5
54       34       19
54.5    35       19.5
56       37       22.5
58       38       24

*  The 54.5 were the Cardiel specials, just in case anyone was confused.

As to the Lil Smokies, I think it comes down to the fact that they are a cheaper pricepoint wheel that is made from rejects, as others had said, which makes sense, so it is not so much a standard line or product that they want to advertise, but something that has come about more from the need to find a use for wheels that might not have made it for whatever reason in the usual sizes and batches.  In doing so, they are still making use of the product, but as there will never be a set size, shape, colour or whatever, it is just down to the random extras that end up on DLX or associated distributors B2B sites and put on completes, or a smaller cheaper option of a Formula Four wheel, for those who want them.

Besides the usual natural colour, some of the more recent ones include various colours including black, pink, pale blue, green swirl and come in Classic, Conical, Conical Full, Radial, Tablet, etc so it is cool they are mixing them up a lot as well, just to make a few more options.

I have a few sets, more just to put on random setups or that came on custom pro completes, but for the tech people who like small wheels, they are really good and keep some guys happy who just can't get small wheels anymore like they used to, so it covers that area of the market too.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5384 on: October 01, 2023, 08:56:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I keep thinking the same thing. Seems like they enjoy giving us something cool, then immediately taking it away.

I’m with you as well. Love og classics. I’ve got a set of 55mm still new that I’m going to start skating soon. Looking at it this weekend, closest wheel to the same specs of width and riding surface are the tablets (for the 55mm). Don’t really want to be a tablets guy, but may have to give them a shot for that similar footprint.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 08:47:32 PM by flintstagram »

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #5385 on: October 03, 2023, 05:08:56 AM »
If you like F4 Radial Slims 101 52mm and are located in Europe it seems that Austrian Freedom skate shop has some

https://freedomskateshop.at/collections/skateboard-wheels/products/spitfire-52mm-101a-formula-four-venomous-radial-slims-wheels

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5386 on: October 09, 2023, 06:55:50 PM »
so about two years ago I bought my first real wheels as a beginner, they are full conical 58mm 97a I skated them till they are all 56mm.  later i got some conical full 58 99as  and have been skating them for bout a year. Today i switched the wheels back yo the 97s I get like a 20% boost of speed from drop ins from 6ft, able to carve way higher on transition than the 99s. is there a reason for that? may just be me overthinking the change in duro.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5387 on: October 09, 2023, 08:13:38 PM »
Interesting I find the 97As slower in the skatepark.

Gandito405

« Reply #5388 on: October 09, 2023, 08:36:06 PM »
I think I’ll put my 99s on another settup and compare the speed by feel.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5389 on: October 09, 2023, 08:42:02 PM »
so about two years ago I bought my first real wheels as a beginner, they are full conical 58mm 97a I skated them till they are all 56mm.  later i got some conical full 58 99as  and have been skating them for bout a year. Today i switched the wheels back yo the 97s I get like a 20% boost of speed from drop ins from 6ft, able to carve way higher on transition than the 99s. is there a reason for that? may just be me overthinking the change in duro.

What are the current sizes of all those wheels? I have •always• found like-sized wheels to be faster (on smooth park surfaces) in relation to their hardness. However, could see a new 58mm 97a being/feeling faster than an old 101a worn down to a beat-up 55mm.

Gandito405

« Reply #5390 on: October 09, 2023, 08:47:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are the current sizes of all those wheels? I have •always• found like-sized wheels to be faster (on smooth park surfaces) in relation to their hardness. However, could see a new 58mm 97a being/feeling faster than an old 101a worn down to a beat-up 55mm.
The size of the wheels are 57 mm in the back and 56 in the front. (Measured to make sure they wear evenly) I could in the future but some new 97 spitfire 58s to make it more accurate. One other thing to add is that the park that I skate is a little bit rough so it’s not slick so that could be a factor to think about.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM by Gandito405 »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5391 on: October 10, 2023, 02:17:21 AM »
Theoretically, a softer duro (but not too soft) will be faster than a harder duro. Cruiser wheels can usually go much faster than park/street wheels of about the same size. And if they're larger, they'll go even faster - it's what the downhill and cruiser wheels are designed for. Increased speed over longer distance compared to street/park wheels, which grip/slide better at the cost of less speed.

The variables that shake this hypothesis up include quality of the ground (your example), type of bearings, weight of wheel, and shape of wheel (among others not listed).
Some shapes keep speed better than others. Contact patch & aerodynamic (or not) design of A model vs B model can highlight this difference. It's evident in your scenario @Gandito405 with your 97As being faster on the drop in.

Personally, I've always noticed softer wheels are faster on transition than harder wheels. I believe it has to do with the softer duro absorbing surface friction better. As well as the width of the contact patch. They will accelerate & maintain speed from a drop in much better than a harder duro due to reduced friction and better absorb & release of any kinetic energy received that would slow them down.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5392 on: October 10, 2023, 04:35:52 AM »

How would you describe the surface of the park - slippery smooth new feeling surface, or well worn and rough like a cheese grater?

I definitely feel like the 97 duro wheels I have are slower for most things including slippery smooth new parks I usually ride them at, but on some really rough old skateparks, they tend to not be rattled to death like harder wheels feel, so actually feel faster in the long run on one park in particular, compared to my usual 99 duro equivalent wheels.

Theoretically, a softer duro (but not too soft) will be faster than a harder duro. Cruiser wheels can usually go much faster than park/street wheels of about the same size. And if they're larger, they'll go even faster - it's what the downhill and cruiser wheels are designed for. Increased speed over longer distance compared to street/park wheels, which grip/slide better at the cost of less speed.

The variables that shake this hypothesis up include quality of the ground (your example), type of bearings, weight of wheel, and shape of wheel (among others not listed).
Some shapes keep speed better than others. Contact patch & aerodynamic (or not) design of A model vs B model can highlight this difference. It's evident in your scenario @Gandito405 with your 97As being faster on the drop in.

Personally, I've always noticed softer wheels are faster on transition than harder wheels. I believe it has to do with the softer duro absorbing surface friction better. As well as the width of the contact patch. They will accelerate & maintain speed from a drop in much better than a harder duro due to reduced friction and better absorb & release of any kinetic energy received that would slow them down.

Yeah it is kind of funny with some surfaces, where some wheels will feel like they are faster or slower than others, but the different compounds can also really make a difference in some wheels too.

Not saying I really feel any difference in the Spitfire Formula Four wheels of the same durometer, eg three sets of 97s in different shapes all feel about the same (much the same age), even though they perform differently in other ways - Classic, conical Full and Radial Full - but in some of the other 99s and 101s especially, different ages of those wheels can feel quite different, the older ones really chirpy and some more slippery than others.

I also feel like I can really get a much better pump and carve on softer wheels on slippery type skateparks where I would not push quite as hard on more slippery wheels, so this could also have something to do with it.

Just some thoughts anyway.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #5393 on: October 10, 2023, 07:19:35 AM »
Been proudly skating F4's for a decade. I've had many sets of classic 99s and once in the 101s. Recently read something on here on how the Powell Dragons would reduce the stress on the knees.

Got a set of the 97s and hated them at first. Didn't slide as well as the 99s. But after a few sessions they work pretty good and idk if its an actual result but i skated the last two sessions without my knee compression sleeves and noticed i wasn't aching as much as i would.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5394 on: October 10, 2023, 07:23:10 AM »

For me it depends on the surface. If the wheels are the same diameter and shape. Softer wheels are faster on a rough surface, slower on a smooth surface, opposite for harder wheels. 99s are way faster for me in Oregon skateparks.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5395 on: October 10, 2023, 07:34:58 AM »
For me it depends on the surface. If the wheels are the same diameter and shape. Softer wheels are faster on a rough surface, slower on a smooth surface, opposite for harder wheels. 99s are way faster for me in Oregon skateparks.

This is The Way.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 111
« Reply #5396 on: October 18, 2023, 01:23:58 PM »
I also feel like I can really get a much better pump and carve on softer wheels on slippery type skateparks where I would not push quite as hard on more slippery wheels, so this could also have something to do with it.

This is my thinking, as well. I've been using SPFs at newer/slicker parks and F4 99s at older parks but just bought a set of F4 97s to skate a bigger slick park to keep from sliding out and to keep speed at the same time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5397 on: October 18, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is my thinking, as well. I've been using SPFs at newer/slicker parks and F4 99s at older parks but just bought a set of F4 97s to skate a bigger slick park to keep from sliding out and to keep speed at the same time.

I know some people don't go over certain sizes of wheels, but the slightly bigger 97 duro wheels feel more normal for me on slippery parks that I just want to go fast around, not get so techy if that makes sense?

The 54 mm Conical Full and 56 mm Classics in the 97s I have on my usual boards are good for me for all rounders on slippery newer parks, with the Radial Full wheels just being the top end of bigger wheels in 56 and 58 mm on "go fast" boards, on which I just do laps on really, but I don't often skate those bigger boards as much / don't often skate the bigger ramps as much either.

The only other thing to note is when I want to do more nose / tail slides I will skate boards with the normal 99 duro F4 wheels, but if I want to have a little more safety, the board with the 97 duro wheels come out and I can enjoy doing other things with not a whole lot of nose / tail slides - more lip tricks and carving around the park.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5398 on: October 19, 2023, 12:15:12 PM »
I have an “old” pair of 58 OG classic F4’s and they seem nearly identical to conical fulls. Maybe it’s just the 58mm size/wider contact patch/side cuts but these look exactly like a conical.

I know for a fact these are OG classics because I still have the original packaging and as far as I know the spiral graphic has only been on “OG” shapes.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5399 on: October 19, 2023, 04:38:37 PM »
I have an “old” pair of 58 OG classic F4’s and they seem nearly identical to conical fulls. Maybe it’s just the 58mm size/wider contact patch/side cuts but these look exactly like a conical.

I know for a fact these are OG classics because I still have the original packaging and as far as I know the spiral graphic has only been on “OG” shapes.

Conical full 58s are slightly wider than the OG 58s. The OGs are more square, like tablets with side cuts. Conical full has a more angled cut.

I rode the OG 58s for a few years and loved them. I’m on the regular conical 56mm now that they don’t make OGs anymore. They’re pretty similar so it was a pretty easy switch