Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717142 times)

RCB3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5820 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Expand Quote
write your name in bacon.
[close]

really like it. its simple, but not that "smug simple" that some portfolio sites have (you know, white blank page with 2 words written, if you click on it 3 photos show up and thats it)

love your work too, makes me wanna go out, and thats a good thing.

Thanks man, appreciate that!

Irvine-Sucks.com

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5821 on: April 13, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
That last one... Cadillac Ranch Dressing
Thanks dude! I'm actually thinking about starting a project on Baltimore's abandoned buildings, focusing on the red X's.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5822 on: April 19, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »

I had a bunch of old cameras at my parents house that someone gave me years ago, and I recently cleaned out my old room and brought them all to my apartment. I didn't think any of them worked and I was just going to put them on a shelf, but I pulled this one out today and found that it works perfectly, so I'm reallu stoked to try it out soon. Does anyone have one or have any experience with one? I think I've got it figured out for the most part, but I don't really know what the button on the film wind knob does. And it had film in it when I found it, and it wouldn't advance forward, but once I opened the back, it wound fine. Any thoughts or advice before I load it up?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5823 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #5824 on: April 20, 2015, 06:15:57 PM »
Film:
000001140005 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

000001130018 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

000000060021 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

Digital:

IMG_9095 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

IMG_9279 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

IMG_8589 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr
(Might have went a little overboard with the slow shutter pan on this one)
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Smerdyakov

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5825 on: April 20, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »
Film:

000001130018 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

000000060021 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

Digital:

IMG_9279 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr

IMG_8589 by scottcarrphoto1, on Flickr
(Might have went a little overboard with the slow shutter pan on this one)

Did you rotate the camera on that first skate one? I really like the architectural shot.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5826 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »
David Lynchfest 2015 in Baltimore

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #5827 on: April 21, 2015, 10:25:31 AM »
Quote from: Smerdyakov  link=topic=25512.msg2317647#msg2317647 date=1429580570
Expand Quote

[close]
Did you rotate the camera on that first skate one? I really like the architectural shot.
I actually had the camera vertical resting on the ground and I was panning it. He came at the wall at a 45 degree angle and I followed him most of the way so it made it swirl because of that. The camera being on the ground may have made it stick a little and ended up rotating on accident, but I'm not totally sure.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5828 on: April 21, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »
"lynchfest" simply sounds so weird to me josh. especially given the fact that you are from around the baltimore area haha..

stefan

• Rep: 14
    • Stefan Groenendijk Photos avatar image
« Reply #5829 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »

Finally got a new roll of film back.

Shot on Kodak T Max 400

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5830 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
"lynchfest" simply sounds so weird to me josh. especially given the fact that you are from around the baltimore area haha..
Haha yeah, I always make sure I write David in front of it. People kept referring to it as just "Lynchfest" and I was like uhhhh...

Fecal Matter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5831 on: April 22, 2015, 01:53:39 AM »

Jares

« Reply #5832 on: April 22, 2015, 02:42:13 AM »
Some shots from old Kodak film that turned purple...

You can check out the rest of the pics here: https://ello.co/myvaportrail/post/fRN4GupUnVQ3eHwYDKyGrw:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:45:07 AM by MODERNUS »

Jares

« Reply #5833 on: April 22, 2015, 04:11:59 AM »
Brilliant!

Quote from: Smerdyakov  

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #5834 on: April 22, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »

Whirr
by BlanketsWilson, on Flickr

Whirr
by BlanketsWilson, on Flickr

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5835 on: April 22, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »
The current scene in Baltimore after the death of Freddie Gray.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #5836 on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:36 PM »
:o very well done
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5837 on: April 22, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
I knew you were going to post stuff. Nice man.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5838 on: April 22, 2015, 11:26:05 PM »
Thanks dudes. I'll have more throughout the week.

People in Baltimore are furious and rightfully so. There's such a disconnect between the police department and the communities they serve, which is pretty true with most cities in the US. I'm very curious how the coming days will turn out as people are planning on protesting every single day until the officers are charged.

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #5839 on: April 23, 2015, 03:40:16 AM »
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #5840 on: April 23, 2015, 04:36:35 AM »

People in Baltimore are furious and rightfully so. There's such a disconnect between the police department and the communities they serve, which is pretty true with most cities in the US. I'm very curious how the coming days will turn out as people are planning on protesting every single day until the officers are charged.

From travelling around I am aware of how racially divided cities in the U.S. are, but I was surprised to see that there were literally no white people marching along side the people in your photographs. Damn.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5841 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:21 AM »
nice one madure!

those protest shots are damn heavy stuff, the sheer amount of (reported) police brutality in the last year is insane. i cant help but wonder why there arent people on the streets in other cities/countries. (well, until they fuck up a professional soccer player or sth people in austria wont go out anyway).

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5842 on: April 23, 2015, 05:01:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From travelling around I am aware of how racially divided cities in the U.S. are, but I was surprised to see that there were literally no white people marching along side the people in your photographs. Damn.
There were definitely some white people marching along, but these protests are very different from the Mike Brown and Eric Garner protests. When those happened, that gave an opportunity for the keyboard activists to come out to "prove" they were socially conscious for their Facebooks and Tumblrs because that's when people were marching down in the Inner Harbor, where the tourists and money are. These recent protests are in extremely lower-income neighborhoods where a lot of those former protesters wouldn't bother with. The police station is surrounded by gutted, abandoned buildings to give you a sense of the area. It really does suck to see the lack of support from people who were "out for the cause" before.

nice one madure!

those protest shots are damn heavy stuff, the sheer amount of (reported) police brutality in the last year is insane. i cant help but wonder why there arent people on the streets in other cities/countries. (well, until they fuck up a professional soccer player or sth people in austria wont go out anyway).
People should be out in full force. Baltimore is really two cities: the people who have money and the people who don't. I guarantee there are some people in Baltimore who still have no idea what's going on. More people would go out and riot of the loss of their sports team than protest the mistreatment of their neighbors by police.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #5843 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »

Fuck, man. Really good coverage. These are my two favorites from the batch.

You're doing a great job capturing all the different types of people who are out there, from guys in suits to guys doing wheelies on dirtbikes. That dichotomy makes for an interesting look at people's motives in turning out. While everyone can rally behind better relations between police and the citizens they are meant to protect, there's something about riding a dirtbike at a protest that says "I'm here for people to see me."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:55:56 AM by DMH »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5844 on: April 23, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're doing a great job capturing all the different types of people who are out there, from guys in suits to guys doing wheelies on dirtbikes. That dichotomy makes for an interesting look at people's motives in turning out. While everyone can rally behind better relations between police and the citizens they are meant to protect, there's something about riding a dirtbike at a protest that says "I'm here for people to see me."
Thank you! I appreciate it.

It does seem like there isn't a unity in the sense that some are very "fuck the police" and others are less aggressive, both disagreeing with how each other is handling it. Both are understandable. There are quite a few people who grab the mic to be seen, but as far as the dirt bikers go, they're all from a group called the 12 O'Clock Boys and they've had a history of police brutality towards them. Although there's a "no chase rule" for Baltimore cops, they still pursue them and will often ram them off with their patrol cars. There's a pretty good documentary that came out two years ago about them. You should definitely check it out. The kid in the photo pushing his dirt bike is the main focus of the documentary.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #5845 on: April 23, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »
Yeah I didn't mention it in my statement up there but your photos of this are quality. I especially liked the last three.

Fecal Matter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5846 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »
Those are fantastic cadillac! really killing the game as always.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5847 on: April 24, 2015, 03:04:47 AM »
I like how you improved in the last year! wish there would be some parades here to start shooting on the street.

Smerdyakov

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5848 on: April 24, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thank you! I appreciate it.

It does seem like there isn't a unity in the sense that some are very "fuck the police" and others are less aggressive, both disagreeing with how each other is handling it. Both are understandable. There are quite a few people who grab the mic to be seen, but as far as the dirt bikers go, they're all from a group called the 12 O'Clock Boys and they've had a history of police brutality towards them. Although there's a "no chase rule" for Baltimore cops, they still pursue them and will often ram them off with their patrol cars. There's a pretty good documentary that came out two years ago about them. You should definitely check it out. The kid in the photo pushing his dirt bike is the main focus of the documentary.

Props on covering that with respect and care. They all hit without using any of the made to react visual language so many journalists use for protests.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5849 on: April 24, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »
Thanks again everyone. It's been a long week - they've been protesting everyday. My days have seemingly become going to work until 4:30, racing to the protest, taking photos until 9 or 10, mandatory beer, editing photos and finally going to bed for maybe 4 hours, rinse and repeat, so I'm pretty exhausted. I'm shooting a wedding this evening and then trying to go out again, but I'll post some more shots when I get a chance.

Thanks again for all of the kind words. It means a lot for people to see what's going on in Baltimore.