Author Topic: ICE can eat shit  (Read 6937 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: ICE can eat shit
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This issue is really confusing for me and I think it really causes problems for the left appealing to independents like me.

I kind of wish that instead of us having to pay 10k in legal fees and wait 6-8 months for my business partner from New Deli to be able to legally work in the US that he could just walk across the border and we could not deal with all the hassles and expense. However, if we got caught doing that, shouldn't we expect he'd be asked to leave at a minimum? I don't get how cheating the system is defensible. Should people instead be arguing to change the rules/laws if they don't like them, not arguing that people can ignore them?

What's the argument for ignoring the rules? Not trolling, seriously don't get this on any level.
[close]

I agree. Someone has to stop all those business partners crossing the border illegally. It's an outrage that they're using the asylum status loophole to get to their meetings for free.
[close]

there are asylum seekers all over the world. why should the ones we share a border with not have to go through the same channels. i still haven't seen anyone explain the "why it's ok to break the laws" and preferable to changing the laws if they aren't cutting it. if open borders is the desired policy, why not legislate and promote that? promoting ignoring the laws seems like a really bad idea.
[close]

Asylum seekers aren’t breaking the law. Also it’s their right to come to the border to seek asylum.
[close]

Asylum from what?  It's one thing to come from Syria, or Venezuela, even Cuba. Nicaragua? Mexico? El Salvador? Those countries are a mess but not worthy of asylum. Do you know how many asylum seekers Japan accepted in 2018? 42 out of 10,493 applications. They're onto something.
  What do the last 2 sentences have to do with the bit?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

carlomarxxx

• Rep: -26
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This issue is really confusing for me and I think it really causes problems for the left appealing to independents like me.

I kind of wish that instead of us having to pay 10k in legal fees and wait 6-8 months for my business partner from New Deli to be able to legally work in the US that he could just walk across the border and we could not deal with all the hassles and expense. However, if we got caught doing that, shouldn't we expect he'd be asked to leave at a minimum? I don't get how cheating the system is defensible. Should people instead be arguing to change the rules/laws if they don't like them, not arguing that people can ignore them?

What's the argument for ignoring the rules? Not trolling, seriously don't get this on any level.
[close]

I agree. Someone has to stop all those business partners crossing the border illegally. It's an outrage that they're using the asylum status loophole to get to their meetings for free.
[close]

there are asylum seekers all over the world. why should the ones we share a border with not have to go through the same channels. i still haven't seen anyone explain the "why it's ok to break the laws" and preferable to changing the laws if they aren't cutting it. if open borders is the desired policy, why not legislate and promote that? promoting ignoring the laws seems like a really bad idea.
[close]

Asylum seekers aren’t breaking the law. Also it’s their right to come to the border to seek asylum.
[close]

Asylum from what?  It's one thing to come from Syria, or Venezuela, even Cuba. Nicaragua? Mexico? El Salvador? Those countries are a mess but not worthy of asylum. Do you know how many asylum seekers Japan accepted in 2018? 42 out of 10,493 applications. They're onto something.
[close]

Just keep reading it until it makes sense.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Well in the 1st bit  you say you sympathize with some asylum seekers from some countries and then u name those countries, fine, but in the last 2 sentences you say Japan "has the right idea" by letting practically no one in. 
  See thats why i asked.  Would you like to take another, less dismissive stab at a response?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:58:11 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

carlomarxxx

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Well in the 1st bit  you say you sympathize with some asylum seekers from some countries and then u name those countries, fine, but in the last 2 sentences you say Japan "has the right idea" by letting practically no one in. 
  See thats why i asked.  Would you like to take another, less dismissive stab at a response?

It's just that from those countries it's easy to see why they would be granted asylum. I don't see why one from Latin America could apply for asylum? Asylum from what, poor economies and governance? Japan sends the right message, "don't bother, you won't get it."

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's just that from those countries it's easy to see why they would be granted asylum. I don't see why one from Latin America could apply for asylum? Asylum from what, poor economies and governance? Japan sends the right message, "don't bother, you won't get it."
   Yes bro i get that but Japan is shutting everyone down.  If you profess to sympathize with certain groups then why would you in the same paragraph assert that japan "sends the right message" by being 99%unsympathetic.  Its not jiving.   -Do you really really smpathize?-

carlomarxxx

« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
   Yes bro i get that but Japan is shutting everyone down.  If you profess to sympathize with certain groups then why would you in the same paragraph assert that japan "sends the right message" by being 99%unsympathetic.  Its not jiving.   -Do you really really smpathize?-

It's nothing to do with sympathizing. I just understand why a government would give them asylum. I also think the Japanese have the right idea.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2019, 09:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

It's nothing to do with sympathizing. I just understand why a government would give them asylum. I also think the Japanese have the right idea.
   Fair play to you there.   
  -Yah im gonna go ahead and say the japanese '"right idea" is them basically saying, 'Fuck you buddy!'
  Ya know we got these problems half way across the world but that wont last forever, we'll likely at some point have similar type mayham in north america like in these fucked places like Hati or the ones you mentioned.  Why not breed good will while we can?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:05:21 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2020, 06:50:40 AM »
Woke up to my neighbors house getting raided by SWAT & ICE.

Stepped outside to just watch it’s quite surreal when someone has a red scope pointed at you.

Fuck you is my first response, as I hold up middle fingers in a surrendering motion.

I don’t have problems with those trying to make it work here, I just abhor overuse of police and having a gun trained on me as if I’m a threat.

Fuck ICE & SWAT.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2020, 01:56:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The laws congress passed say asylum seekers can walk right up to the border and request asylum if they have a legitimate reason. The current administration has directed its agencies to variously not follow that law, to slow processing down at points of entry so that a minimum of cases are heard a day, and now to keep people who may have legitimate claims in perilous circumstances.

When it comes to purely economic migrants there are only 3 legal means entry:

HB1 Visas - Which are supposed to fill jobs that no Americans have the skills for but are often used by wealthy corporations to fill jobs for below a market rate or to avoid training that would have formerly happened in-house.

Family reunification - AKA Chain Migration, which Trump seeks to end.

Lottery - Not open to people from in this hemisphere from Canada, Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, and Peru.

So when you say "why don't you follow the law?" you are basically saying, "Sucks to be you, grin and bear it, maybe get reincarnated as an American, I approve of previous efforts to limit entry of Germans, Jews, Italians, Poles, Irish, Norwegians, Chinese, etc., it was ok for my family but not yours."
[close]

OK, fair enough. But what are the actual policies that we should put in place? I feel like a lot of the lefts positions now are anti positions that are nothing more than a tantrum and calling the other side the baddies.

Surely we can't just have open borders. I'm not sure the left is thinking things through. I'm for reforming healthcare, I liked the ACA, I like the idea of making higher ed more affordable, improving public schools, etc... But how does that work if you have open borders? These programs don't have endless scale up capabilities.

It really feels like there's no cohesive ideas from the left on these issues, just a lot of bitching about things that people find offensive and calling everyone on the other side of things a racist.

Just to be clear, I'm an independent (aka voter that matters) and I haven't voted republican in a long time but the current direction and focus of the left is definitely underwhelming. All of the candidates who had sound ideas based in real world political experience like John Delaney, Michael Bennet, John Hickenlooper, etc... haven't gotten any shine while anyone who gets emotional, offended or has a corny zinger "wins" the debate. It's embarrassingly bad. I really think that the left and the democrats want to win things back then need to have more cohesive, policy based solutions and less tantrum policies like abolishing ice on issues like this that folks in the middle care about.

My whole point speaking up here was to see if anyone knows what that new policy direction is or if people here are also just offended by the current approach and not focusing on solutions going forward (like the republicans are doing with healthcare currently).

brother, have you listened, actually sat and listened to a Bernie Sanders speech, not a sound bite or 5 minute clip, but to everything he says? He's got some solutions up for offer.

As for abolition politics, other than status quo, have you thought about why ICE can't be abolished? It was created in 2003 as an addendum to the Patriot Act, similar only in that regard to TSA.

Lastly, I'm a lefty humanist, you feel me? I don't vote liberal or conservative, I tend to vote and work for ideas (because that's the root of a policy) that save and improve lives, for all beings, not just people like myself (educated, American, male, white, not poor, etc). I appreciate politics that not only allow for, but encourage the voice of participants, as opposed to encouraging viewers to adopt the voice of politics that they then hold as their own.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty