Author Topic: Fs Noseslides  (Read 1593 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
Fs Noseslides
« on: March 18, 2023, 07:21:29 PM »
Please give me some help on this trick. I kind of learned it, but I'm definitely not doing it right. I mostly get stuck, and if I don't get stuck I slip out immediately.

I've only done a single fs noseslide that felt right, and that was on accident while trying a fs crook. So that taught me that my technique is extremely off and the first 80% of the trick should be done exactly like a fs crook. Is that correct?

Riding parallel to the ledge, doing a straight ollie, keeping shoulders straight and turning the board only with my front foot. Put the nose on the ledge with a slight angle (underrotated), then put all the weight on the front toes and keep the head above the front foot. Correct?

There has to be some way to get into the right position without it being extremely uncomfortable. Just doesn't feel right.
I can fs crook and that's gotta be harder than this, but somehow it's impossible for me.

Edit: Just watched a few clips and noticed that some people don't actually keep their shoulders straight but actually slide backwards. Might be more comfortable. Seems like some do the straight ollie and others fully scoop into it
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:33:19 PM by goodatmeth »

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Fs Noseslides
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 07:29:44 PM »
i learned front noses but doing those quick front nose to fakie almost like a tapping motion.  (bs 180 with a pivot off the ledge) definently found it easier to not have my shoulders straight and slide backwards while peeking over my shouler to spot my landing

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/july-2001/
i just imagine im him
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

switchfakie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »
i got solid front noses - im too lazy to read your post, but here'd my advice

the key is to pre-wax your board and to go fast. dont forget to wax the baseplate a little bit

you dont slide on your entire nose, there's a line at the edge of the baseplate where your board curves a little bit - thats where you slide. if your entire nose is presssed on the ledge, youre not doing it right

you hold it with the ball of your foot. your front foot knee is bent and hold all your weight on it

make sure your shoulders are always parallel with the ledge

footstance doesnt mean shit

you dont need good back 180s

you must come at it parallel to the ledge. coming at it at an angle will not work

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:43:06 PM »
i learned front noses but doing those quick front nose to fakie almost like a tapping motion.  (bs 180 with a pivot off the ledge) definently found it easier to not have my shoulders straight and slide backwards while peeking over my shouler to spot my landing

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/july-2001/
i just imagine im him

I was trying to get these back and one of the guys kept bringing this up and I had to let him know this was before my time.

As for tips,
When I learned them, I skated a ledge that went downwards and was a little higher than I could Ollie.

A higher ledge helps with stalls and to feel out that slide point that the person above me said.

The downward ledge helps because to learn how to hold them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Bill Salt

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 12:09:45 AM »
best tip if our already get the principle, is to squat more before poping your ollie.Then put all weight on the your front foot.I Years back when struggling,  noticed I did no suqt enough.You'll see it's the key.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 05:19:28 AM »
anyone have any tips for bs shuv out?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 09:44:34 AM »
anyone have any tips for bs shuv out?

Like a nollie bs shuv or like a switch bs shuv? I often do the switch bs shuv out because I kind of have to due to having my weight in the wrong position. But whatever shuv you're talking about, just do it a few times standing still or just starting in the noseslide position on a ledge. Super easy.

Btw I have fs noselides down now, for me it really is exactly the same as ollieing into a fs crook, BUT turning my shoulders slightly when I ollie.

It's like when you're trying any crook and accidentally go into noseslide because you turned your shoulders a tiny bit, and those are always the best noseslides for me.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 11:42:13 AM »
imo the best way to learn the trick is learn it slappy. wax the side of the curb where the wheels are gonna touch BIG TIME. if this is not waxed you will just stick like crazy.

a lot of the trick of noseslides in general is just wasting as little momentum as possible when transitioning from rolling to sliding. that means reducing the amonut of movement required going from position A to B. thats why you want to ride as paralell as possible for this trick.

i like to have my toes going over so that there is no way my heel can drag on the ledge.

i find turning out to fakie is way easier to start with.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 12:16:21 PM »
I only have one thing to add that hasn’t been said already, all of which are great tips. For me the thing I think about is the balance between the ball of my front foot and heel. Usually, that is the point where you can fine tune the slide vs slipping out or sticking.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 08:11:40 PM »
Everything switch fakie said. I’ll also add that holding your body weight like you’re about to yank out regs is helpful for sliding them. I was trying to put all my weight over the ledge and always stuck, but as soon as I tried holding back just a little I started sliding them

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1147
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 04:49:04 AM »
1.  Ride towards the ledge with speed.

2.  Relax your lower body.  Imagine pure bliss, flex upper body.

3.  Pop that joint and think about Moses Itkonen.

4.  All weight on front foot, you’re sliding now.  Sit on it, this is your territory.

5.  You’re still sliding.  Think about Karl Watson.

6.  Slide it some more.  Listen to the sounds of nature.  Think about the transience of your life.

7.  Shoulders are big… come out regular, don’t fall out fakie like a loser.

8.  Ride away clean.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 06:34:05 AM »
This trick is still so much easier to do switch

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 10:22:29 AM »
This is old and you probably got that but what helps me was starting at it almost straight on and as I got more comfortable coming at it more and more parallel until I’m completely parallel, knowing the distance from the ledge and comfortable with sliding enough that when I do my ollie and slide it I can pull out too back to regs
I did your mom

Heshrat

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 10:23:12 AM »
This trick is still so much easier to do switch
And I really want this trick switch even if it’s on small ledges, I love doing them on sorta tall bench things
I did your mom

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
This is old and you probably got that but what helps me was starting at it almost straight on and as I got more comfortable coming at it more and more parallel until I’m completely parallel, knowing the distance from the ledge and comfortable with sliding enough that when I do my ollie and slide it I can pull out too back to regs
I got them really good this summer and then stopped doing them completely so I'll start again the way you explained.
I keep doing this. Get a trick consistent, cross it off the list and leave it behind.

For anybody reading this, if you have a good kickflip, a flip fs noseslide is exactly as hard as an ollie fs noseslide, maybe even easier to hold the slide. Don't know why, but it's the same thing with bs tails as well.

Heshrat

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 08:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got them really good this summer and then stopped doing them completely so I'll start again the way you explained.
I keep doing this. Get a trick consistent, cross it off the list and leave it behind.

For anybody reading this, if you have a good kickflip, a flip fs noseslide is exactly as hard as an ollie fs noseslide, maybe even easier to hold the slide. Don't know why, but it's the same thing with bs tails as well.
Hell yeah get that one consistent I love it, I am by no means a ledge skater I’m more of a ramp skater. But I do love this trick to death and it’s a go to when I’m cruising the park. When you get a long one and come off quick it’s the best feeling
I did your mom

skateboardingenthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 10:42:36 AM »
Point your rear arm forward in the direction you are going in line with your momentum. Your front arm can be raised up so you are looking under your armpit, or your front arm can be down so you are looking over your shoulder.

The important thing is to create a twisting effect with your upper body in relation to your lower body. An easy way to do this is to cross your rear arm across your torso. It is not exactly necessary to have your rear arm cross your torso so it is pointing towards your momentum, but as long as you create that upper body twist. Once you are in this twisted position, it makes it that much easier to go back to regular because your body naturally wants to untwist and return to the normal anatomical position. Think of it like striking a pose, holding it, and then uncoiling your body to land.

Try to waste as little momentum as possible by not going at too much of an angle and just bashing your baseplate and wheels against the side of the ledge. A little bit of an angle is okay, but not an extreme angle. It’s not like a nose stall, you want to glide. You generally want to be parallel.

As you do them slower, you can get away with not crouching and barely bending down. But as you do them faster, the crouch becomes alot more important.

As you roll up to the ledge, place almost all of your weight on your back foot, and then quickly shift all that weight and pressure to your front foot. This concept becomes alot more important the faster you go. It’s a weight shift from one side of your body to the other. Create that weight and pressure from crouching.

Round shaped wheels help a ton, like classics. Less friction to stick. Square wheels tend to catch and drag more on the side of the ledge.

Wax the ever living shit out of the ledge. Be prepared to have wax on the bottom of your shoes from missing the slide and standing on top of the ledge and the ass part of your pants from bailing and safely rolling with your momentum and ending up with your butt on the waxed parts. Your griptape will probably end up having wax on it too. Wipe your shoes off often as to save your griptape.

All in all:

1. While getting in and staying in the slide, point your rear arm towards where you want to go, in line with your momentum. Create that twisting effect. This makes it much easier to lock into the slide.

2. Rolling up to the ledge, place alot of pressure onto your back foot, and then shift that pressure to your front foot.

3. Uncoil body to go back to regular.

4. Round wheels with narrow contact patches. Put your old worn out wheels to use if they’ve been collecting dust.

5. Alot of fucking wax. Cake that shit on there. On the top, edge, and side. Wax the fuck out of the ledge, fuck it.

Hope this helps.

Heshrat

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 10:11:43 PM »
I got a cuppa frontside noseslides while skating Boston last weekend felt great, few different spots too.
I did your mom