Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797148 times)

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2760 on: March 13, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
Expand Quote
What are the best slim wheels or just the slimmest overall decent wheel? I have had stf v2s before and they were pretty skinny which I liked, but I prefer f4s. Maybe even sml or dialtone? Just any ideas for slimmer wheels
[close]
Radial slims or classics.

I usually run classics. They do the job fine, just looking to switch it up. Have yet to try radial slims but they do look like close to what I'm thinking about.

Seadramon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2761 on: March 14, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Just got a set of F4 Lock ins in the mail and one wheel has a bubble. Very similar to those garage wheels.

Should I make a fuss?  :-\
[close]
post a pic

sadnocomply

• Rep: 144
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2762 on: March 14, 2020, 10:56:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just got a set of F4 Lock ins in the mail and one wheel has a bubble. Very similar to those garage wheels.

[close]
post a pic
[close]

skate it for a week and don’t look back. That’s nothing

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2763 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That durometer tester should still be accurate at the ends of its scale, to 99a. 101+ would all read as 100a
It's not gonna be like a cheap bathroom scale and read all wonky at the ends of its range.

[close]

"Hardnesses above 95 on the A scale should not be specified because the upper accuracy limit of the instrument is being approached. Accuracy at the lower end of the D scale is also limiting and values below 25D are questionable."

https://moldeddimensions.com/durometer-hardness.php
[close]
This was too long winded to get to before last night's skate, rain was coming..
Tbh, I think we're gonna need a materials or chem engr or something to solve this. If only Big Cat would appear..
I know what you're saying and maybe it's back to using a spring for measuring?
Idk. Maybe something to do with bending/denting the urethane vs piercing it like the B scale does?
Seems like just the skin on new vs old wheels might affect things. Even leftover mold release with piercing.
And realistically, if they can't test that duro, then they'd have trouble labeling it for sale. I'm not talking about skate wheels, I mean industrial stuff.

If you're just saying it'd be better to test 99a wheels on a different scale then I agree with you.
I'd prefer C scale cuz it doesn't pierce. But since the load is crazy high it might not work for 70-80a stuff?
A third tier of middle load scales would be nice.
Piercing the material seems like it could be affected by how easily that material tears.

https://www.ptc1.com/Durometer-A-408
Check out specs and look at the force curve graph
To me that says if there's difficulty measuring the extreme ends of the range it's not because of the accuracy of the tester.
I'm thinking issues with the material or even that the math used makes the ends of the range less accurate.

https://www.ptc1.com/DurometerHardnessChart
But here they say to use B scale testers for above 90a, below 20d

https://www.ptc1.com/Durometer-Test-Stands
They can be used handheld.. just pointing out a possible source of error in that insta pic

https://urethaneusa.com/resources/what-is-durometer/
95a industrial urethane

**edit
I got a chance to try F4's and OJ elites?
Old, worn, super-wide conical full F4's felt a lil softer than my classic classics.. Slide was WAY better! Almost shot out on the first one, 2nd one I pushed harder and it got away from me. Was even able to eek out a slow speed bs powerslide. Setup was also super surf so that might have added to it..
Slippery but quiet compared to classic formula. I think it'd take me a few days to get used to them.

Only got to check out the OJ's for a sec. I think they were 101a hardline elite whatever.
Hard, harder than classics but not crazy jarring old F1 101a. Seemed pretty fast.
Slid nice.. Lil bit of a bark, more controlled than F4's above. Broke into a slide more easily than classics.

Classics..
Wow. Grippy compared to more modern formulas. I'm liking them again since the weather warmed up.
Below 50*f they start getting too grippy, 40*f they bark like a goose. But I'm over skating in weather that cold.

How do you guys with multiple setups deal with riding F4's and Classic formulas? Seems like it'd be tough to go back and forth.
I did some hardness testing in engineering school. Without really reading back into it, I couldn't give a great explaination to why some companies list their wheels at different durometers. I'm sure it just has to do with whoever their actual wheel supplier is or if their pouring their own, and even then the compounds could just just be mixed to cure at a certain durometer.
For the scales, there are just different scales created to test different materials. A Rockwell hardness test is the usual one everybody mentions. This leaves a divit in the material and measures how far the instrument penetrates into it.

If your interested in the mathematics behind it, and how other scales compare to eachother check this:
https://web.calce.umd.edu/TSFA/Hardness_ad_.htm

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #2764 on: March 14, 2020, 11:57:54 AM »
I’m done denying myself the joy of having colored wheels. God I love them. Not even drunk right now.
Shit. I might just have to get a set with four different colors.
Spitfire swirls are looking good right now, too.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
« Reply #2765 on: March 14, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »
I’m done denying myself the joy of having colored wheels. God I love them. Not even drunk right now.

Welcome to the dark side. Might I interest you in a set of glow in the dark F4 swirls? Wait..perhaps you're not ready for that yet. Let's start small, ease you into it nice and gently.

https://tgmskateboards.com/skateboards-longboard/skateboards/wheels/?search_query=&page=1&limit=60&sort=newest&brand=252&category=35&is_category_page=1

Those $12-17 ones are from Creative urethanes. The black and white conicals seem to be mispours of these orbs wheels. The pink and blue are mispoured slimeballs I believe. Not sure about the pink 56mm but maybe speedlab? No clue on the pink/white ones 54's but I have a set and really like them. The black/white orbs ones look really cool when they're spinning too. 

I appreciate a nice clean black grip/bright white wheel graphics in setup as much as anyone that skated in the late 90s but I'm not really picky about it anymore. I care about the color of the wheel a lot less than I care about the price and quality of the urethane nowadays. I don't really agree with the idea that everyone should ride the same setups with the same components and anyone who does differently is a kook. This shit is supposed to be about individual creativity and freedom, so go on and express yo self homie.   

secondhandstoke

• Rep: -449
« Reply #2766 on: March 14, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »

samesies!!!  spitfire swirls are dope!

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2767 on: March 15, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »
Worst flatspot of my life on spitfire swirls, but that was like 2001. It looked like a belt sander was taken to it
🤙

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2768 on: March 15, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
will i feel a big difference going from acid chem 56/86 to 55/78 super juice? been watching a lot of OJ's Cruisin' videos...
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2769 on: March 15, 2020, 01:38:04 PM »
will i feel a big difference going from acid chem 56/86 to 55/78 super juice? been watching a lot of OJ's Cruisin' videos...

Yeah, will feel different because of the shape and duro. Mini juice will feel smoother and roll over crustier stuff but less versatile for tricks. Pretty easy to adjust to though

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2770 on: March 15, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
What are the best slim wheels or just the slimmest overall decent wheel? I have had stf v2s before and they were pretty skinny which I liked, but I prefer f4s. Maybe even sml or dialtone? Just any ideas for slimmer wheels

f4 radial slims all day

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2771 on: March 15, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Welcome to the dark side. Might I interest you in a set of glow in the dark F4 swirls? Wait..perhaps you're not ready for that yet. Let's start small, ease you into it nice and gently.

https://tgmskateboards.com/skateboards-longboard/skateboards/wheels/?search_query=&page=1&limit=60&sort=newest&brand=252&category=35&is_category_page=1

Those $12-17 ones are from Creative urethanes. The black and white conicals seem to be mispours of these orbs wheels. The pink and blue are mispoured slimeballs I believe. Not sure about the pink 56mm but maybe speedlab? No clue on the pink/white ones 54's but I have a set and really like them. The black/white orbs ones look really cool when they're spinning too. 

I appreciate a nice clean black grip/bright white wheel graphics in setup as much as anyone that skated in the late 90s but I'm not really picky about it anymore. I care about the color of the wheel a lot less than I care about the price and quality of the urethane nowadays. I don't really agree with the idea that everyone should ride the same setups with the same components and anyone who does differently is a kook. This shit is supposed to be about individual creativity and freedom, so go on and express yo self homie.   
so those black white swirl aren’t conical full shaped as tgm says? The orbs on tactics say 16mm riding surface. Or your theory is theyre  just a mispour in the wrong shape? Tgm also says 97a whereas orbs 99a in tactics. Just curious

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2772 on: March 15, 2020, 05:40:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
post a pic
[close]
[close]
skate it for a week and don’t look back. That’s nothing

10-4

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2773 on: March 16, 2020, 02:03:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That durometer tester should still be accurate at the ends of its scale, to 99a. 101+ would all read as 100a
It's not gonna be like a cheap bathroom scale and read all wonky at the ends of its range.

[close]

"Hardnesses above 95 on the A scale should not be specified because the upper accuracy limit of the instrument is being approached. Accuracy at the lower end of the D scale is also limiting and values below 25D are questionable."

https://moldeddimensions.com/durometer-hardness.php
[close]
This was too long winded to get to before last night's skate, rain was coming..
Tbh, I think we're gonna need a materials or chem engr or something to solve this. If only Big Cat would appear..
I know what you're saying and maybe it's back to using a spring for measuring?
Idk. Maybe something to do with bending/denting the urethane vs piercing it like the B scale does?
Seems like just the skin on new vs old wheels might affect things. Even leftover mold release with piercing.
And realistically, if they can't test that duro, then they'd have trouble labeling it for sale. I'm not talking about skate wheels, I mean industrial stuff.

If you're just saying it'd be better to test 99a wheels on a different scale then I agree with you.
I'd prefer C scale cuz it doesn't pierce. But since the load is crazy high it might not work for 70-80a stuff?
A third tier of middle load scales would be nice.
Piercing the material seems like it could be affected by how easily that material tears.

https://www.ptc1.com/Durometer-A-408
Check out specs and look at the force curve graph
To me that says if there's difficulty measuring the extreme ends of the range it's not because of the accuracy of the tester.
I'm thinking issues with the material or even that the math used makes the ends of the range less accurate.

https://www.ptc1.com/DurometerHardnessChart
But here they say to use B scale testers for above 90a, below 20d

https://www.ptc1.com/Durometer-Test-Stands
They can be used handheld.. just pointing out a possible source of error in that insta pic

https://urethaneusa.com/resources/what-is-durometer/
95a industrial urethane

**edit
I got a chance to try F4's and OJ elites?
Old, worn, super-wide conical full F4's felt a lil softer than my classic classics.. Slide was WAY better! Almost shot out on the first one, 2nd one I pushed harder and it got away from me. Was even able to eek out a slow speed bs powerslide. Setup was also super surf so that might have added to it..
Slippery but quiet compared to classic formula. I think it'd take me a few days to get used to them.

Only got to check out the OJ's for a sec. I think they were 101a hardline elite whatever.
Hard, harder than classics but not crazy jarring old F1 101a. Seemed pretty fast.
Slid nice.. Lil bit of a bark, more controlled than F4's above. Broke into a slide more easily than classics.

Classics..
Wow. Grippy compared to more modern formulas. I'm liking them again since the weather warmed up.
Below 50*f they start getting too grippy, 40*f they bark like a goose. But I'm over skating in weather that cold.

How do you guys with multiple setups deal with riding F4's and Classic formulas? Seems like it'd be tough to go back and forth.
[close]
I did some hardness testing in engineering school. Without really reading back into it, I couldn't give a great explaination to why some companies list their wheels at different durometers. I'm sure it just has to do with whoever their actual wheel supplier is or if their pouring their own, and even then the compounds could just just be mixed to cure at a certain durometer.
For the scales, there are just different scales created to test different materials. A Rockwell hardness test is the usual one everybody mentions. This leaves a divit in the material and measures how far the instrument penetrates into it.

If your interested in the mathematics behind it, and how other scales compare to eachother check this:
https://web.calce.umd.edu/TSFA/Hardness_ad_.htm

Ooh! Does slap have a resident ME? Please say yes.. I'm a burnout so it'd be great to have your help with some of this geeky stuff. And maybe we can lure THE Big Cat over here!

The different durometer thing is cuz wheels went past 99-100a hardness. 101a, 103a, 104a, etc doesn't/shouldn't exist.
The A scale was great for 70's wheels, 70-85a duro? I can't remember the first 99a wheel I saw (maybe Gizmo's?) but I think 97a might have been the hardest duro for most of the 80's.
101a reads like 100a on the tester, no indentation of the wheel, so they moved to the next scale, B.
My gripe is B uses a point vs blunt indenter. Seems like you could be tearing the material but idk..
D scale seems to only be used for plastic cores? Did Darkstar (or other AEND companies) ever use this scale? Idr
I never really see the C scale used for anything. Maybe for composites?

I'm used to seeing Rockwell and Brinell hardness testing for metal but don't recall seeing it used for urethane. Thanks for that link, was interesting, but I didn't see math for durometers. I imagine it's just linear, and inverse? 0 indentation = 100a, full indentation = 0a. But how do you do that when you can only really measure 1a and 99a? I feel like I'm having a stoner moment..

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2774 on: March 16, 2020, 04:29:46 AM »
Boardy Cakes goes from small to tiny with their latest wheels - 39mm but with a wider riding surface than the 42mms, I know I want a set :)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2775 on: March 16, 2020, 06:49:45 AM »
I've got PTSD from having to ride wheels that small. Glad the option is there for those of you who want it but never again for me...

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #2776 on: March 16, 2020, 07:27:03 AM »

I wouldn't call radial slim "slim" IMO. they have a slimmer contact patch, but the overall wheel profile is avg.
I've found that crupie makes the slimmest wheels on the market (28mm). but I flatspotted the fuck out of the 101a's.
You can get them for cheap, from concrete visionary (their distro) but they've sent me the wrong shit before, and have decided to stop adding widths to their product descriptions

I got both the bones STF v3 slims 52mm(29mm) and 54mm(30). I think they feel slimmer the v2s, but looking at the stats, they are the same. It makes me wonder why these are advertised as slim.

tactics are usually put widths in the descriptions for research

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2777 on: March 16, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't call radial slim "slim" IMO. they have a slimmer contact patch, but the overall wheel profile is avg.
I've found that crupie makes the slimmest wheels on the market (28mm). but I flatspotted the fuck out of the 101a's.
You can get them for cheap, from concrete visionary (their distro) but they've sent me the wrong shit before, and have decided to stop adding widths to their product descriptions

I got both the bones STF v3 slims 52mm(29mm) and 54mm(30). I think they feel slimmer the v2s, but looking at the stats, they are the same. It makes me wonder why these are advertised as slim.

Bones V3 - 52 x 29 x 15 - 197g
Bones V2 - 52 x 29 x 18 - 209g
Bones V5 - 52 x 30 x 14.5 - 213g
Bones V1 - 52 x 31 x 17.5, 218g
Bones V4 - 52 x 32 x 17, 240

Didn't realize the V3 and V5 were pretty comparable in width and even had a smaller contact patch. I guess the additional 16g of weigh makes the wheel feel thicker than it actually is.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2778 on: March 18, 2020, 07:06:09 AM »
Back to classics, tablets were ok but the look bothers me

Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2779 on: March 18, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
took the swirl graphic off?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2780 on: March 18, 2020, 07:50:25 AM »
Bottom pic is the blank side of the tablets

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2781 on: March 18, 2020, 08:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
👍👍 makes sense now.. shape differences

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2782 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Exactly, so you can tell how hideous they are.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:11:37 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #2783 on: March 18, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Didn't realize the V3 and V5 were pretty comparable in width and even had a smaller contact patch. I guess the additional 16g of weigh makes the wheel feel thicker than it actually is.

Damn gnars to you guys. I guess it is a toss up when you do consider the shape/extra material. Now that I look closer at the v3s, they look interesting. Kind of a bit slimmer spit classic shape? Also I saw some of those crupies on sale for like $15 so i am tempted there haha. Hmm. Wish I could just see them all in person. Thanks guys, definitely more to think about.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2784 on: March 18, 2020, 08:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn gnars to you guys. I guess it is a toss up when you do consider the shape/extra material. Now that I look closer at the v3s, they look interesting. Kind of a bit slimmer spit classic shape? Also I saw some of those crupies on sale for like $15 so i am tempted there haha. Hmm. Wish I could just see them all in person. Thanks guys, definitely more to think about.
Those Bones' weights are for a set of wheels?
When I'm dorking out on trucks weights I usually use 1/2 the listed weight to compare larger wheel sizes.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2785 on: March 18, 2020, 09:46:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
When I'm dorking out on trucks weights I usually use 1/2 the listed weight to compare larger wheel sizes.

Yeah 4 wheels.

I'm hesitant about Crupie wheels, most of the reviews on here say they flatspot easily. The Autobahn slim wheels are super skinny too, provided you can even find them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2786 on: March 18, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah 4 wheels.

I'm hesitant about Crupie wheels, most of the reviews on here say they flatspot easily. The Autobahn slim wheels are super skinny too, provided you can even find them.

It's way back in the thread now but I did talk about them. I got them for $12 so to me, that's worth it. No fucking way would I pay full price for these wheels though. While not awful, they just aren't anything to write home about. I'm just waiting for the flat spots to happen so I can retire them.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2787 on: March 18, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah 4 wheels.

[close]

It's way back in the thread now but I did talk about them. I got them for $12 so to me, that's worth it. No fucking way would I pay full price for these wheels though. While not awful, they just aren't anything to write home about. I'm just waiting for the flat spots to happen so I can retire them.

Basically the best way to think about Crupies, get them for the cheap and they're great for their price. Get them at full price, and you'll be wondering why you just didn't get a pair of F4s/STFs.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2788 on: March 18, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
Thinking about going down in wheel size for the summer. Not sure why and maybe I’ve had too much time to tho m about it. Normally I’m a 53 guy but I sorta want to try a 51-52

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2789 on: March 18, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
Thinking about going down in wheel size for the summer. Not sure why and maybe I’ve had too much time to tho m about it. Normally I’m a 53 guy but I sorta want to try a 51-52
id ride 53s down to the size you want. 52 and below wheels have been a pain in the ass for relatively crusty street and the smaller contact patch is glaring on anything other than skatepark concrete. great if you only ride perfect spots, not practical for an all in one setup imo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo