Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128486 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1350 on: April 25, 2023, 06:49:46 AM »
I have the indy blue ones and they dont seem loose, they seem pretty snug. i just took them off after riding thme awhile and they are still pretty damn snug. you might have got some bad ones.

IpathCats

« Reply #1351 on: April 25, 2023, 07:34:24 AM »
I have the indy blue ones and they dont seem loose, they seem pretty snug. i just took them off after riding thme awhile and they are still pretty damn snug. you might have got some bad ones.

thats what it sounds like to me.

also, i miss your old sig =[

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #1352 on: April 25, 2023, 07:37:40 AM »
i cant lie it would be just my luck to have got some new old stock or dodgy ones.ha

think ill head down my local shop the next chance i get rather than ordering online again and ask them if i can slide some onto an Indy first to find myself some snuggies.

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1353 on: April 25, 2023, 04:08:28 PM »
i cant lie it would be just my luck to have got some new old stock or dodgy ones.ha

think ill head down my local shop the next chance i get rather than ordering online again and ask them if i can slide some onto an Indy first to find myself some snuggies.

Probably not going to help at all, but have you put them on and had a skate with them?

Oddly enough they might work really well, but others I know have put tape round the kingpin to make things way more fitting and try to stop unwanted movement, clicks, noise and other things, which they have said work.

I have some bushings that are way easier to slip on and off, rather than having to almost force them onto the kingpin and they still hold up and work fine, so maybe give them a try first and see what they are like, given you already have them and it is no extra cost to check if they do work, then meaning you don't need more as well.

Some people shrug and give it a go, others are just "No, that's not going to happen" so I understand both sides.

* The older ones are the ones with the cross logo on the packaging, the newer ones with the diamond logo.  I have some of each and I don't recall seeing a lot of play, but they are fairly easy to slip on, so most likely similar to yours.  Did you get conical or cylinder?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #1354 on: April 26, 2023, 02:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Probably not going to help at all, but have you put them on and had a skate with them?

Oddly enough they might work really well, but others I know have put tape round the kingpin to make things way more fitting and try to stop unwanted movement, clicks, noise and other things, which they have said work.

I have some bushings that are way easier to slip on and off, rather than having to almost force them onto the kingpin and they still hold up and work fine, so maybe give them a try first and see what they are like, given you already have them and it is no extra cost to check if they do work, then meaning you don't need more as well.

Some people shrug and give it a go, others are just "No, that's not going to happen" so I understand both sides.

* The older ones are the ones with the cross logo on the packaging, the newer ones with the diamond logo.  I have some of each and I don't recall seeing a lot of play, but they are fairly easy to slip on, so most likely similar to yours.  Did you get conical or cylinder?

yea i tried them out they skated ok and did what i needed them to do first session which surprised me tbh. no extra noises underfoot but i did hit them with a little wax before placing onto the truck to stop that.

i was just worried the extra play around the kingpin would leave too much wiggle room for them and basically cause them to snap/shear off mid turn with the extra pressure put on them and I don't want that in the back of my mind while I'm rolling up to or away from something.

*they were older with the cross logo, ill hunt down some of the diamond logo ones when i get the chance to although i may just slap some bones hards in there instead if i cant and they were just the standard cylinder ones. 
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1355 on: April 29, 2023, 12:43:07 AM »

Not a big deal really, as they look like forty year old trucks would, one replaced generic baseplate and average looking, but there appears to be a set of Stage ONE Indy trucks on ebay right now, around or just under 8" in width too, so nothing super skinny, which would be the 131 variety, going by the old spec sheet info.  Currently around $50 too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225551937548

More than anything I was just interested to see the pics:

IpathCats

« Reply #1356 on: May 03, 2023, 07:09:30 AM »

Not a big deal really, as they look like forty year old trucks would, one replaced generic baseplate and average looking, but there appears to be a set of Stage ONE Indy trucks on ebay right now, around or just under 8" in width too, so nothing super skinny, which would be the 131 variety, going by the old spec sheet info.  Currently around $50 too.

More than anything I was just interested to see the pics:

Dude! What!? These are sick

Also, I bought a set of stage 4 151's from stardust skateshop in Mooresville NC while I was in town on a skate trip with the dudes.

These things are super carvy/surfy. Very fun, but I wont be riding them on my regular setup. Too squirrelly for my tastes. They're going a a cruiser.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1357 on: May 03, 2023, 08:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude! What!? These are sick

Also, I bought a set of stage 4 151's from stardust skateshop in Mooresville NC while I was in town on a skate trip with the dudes.

These things are super carvy/surfy. Very fun, but I wont be riding them on my regular setup. Too squirrelly for my tastes. They're going a a cruiser.

Bidding seems to have stalled, but I feel like modern current stage trucks, or in this case reissues with tweaks and modern materials really make the difference, so I would much rather get current trucks than vintage trucks like those ones.  I am all about riding them, not just putting them on a period correct board that goes on the wall though.

Still yet to see any of those Stage IV trucks in person here in AU, but I played round with a few sets of 215s again just to make myself happy that I don't need to ride them, but smaller versions of the new ones would definitely be interesting on a cruiser or fun board, as you said you would put them on.

* Edit:

Looking at ebay, there is a seller with loads of vintage trucks and other stuff, mostly "collectable" prices, so don't expect a bargain, but it is pretty cool looking through the listings, as there are some near new looking trucks that have great pictures as well.  So many old Independent trucks listed there.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/norcal_legacy_skateboards

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 08:35:01 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #1358 on: May 03, 2023, 08:32:07 AM »
I have some stage 2 131s that a friend gave me and I tried skating them. The turn felt a little too unpredictable and the pop feel was atrocious. The reissued Stage 4s feel way better but Ace really strike the great balance between classic geo with a bit more predictability for modern skate needs.

My Stage 2s are in a box and nice to look at from time to time.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1359 on: May 04, 2023, 02:53:33 PM »
After a couple of sessions on 144 Forged Hollow Mids, I have to say I really like the feel of this truck. I have 1.5mm risers on them to bring them up to 52mm. They feel snappy and turn great. Being lower and closer to the ledge is nice for grinds too. I really liked Indy Stage 10s so it's nice to have an Indy at around that height again.

I'm running 54 mm Classics and wheelbite hasn't been an issue yet, surprisingly.

The only thing that concerns me is I think my back truck might have loosened on its own during the last session. Annoying truck issues like that during a session are a real bummer and not something I am really willing to put up with. Hopefully this isn't something persistent or I'll just switch back to the regular Forged Hollow.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1360 on: May 04, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »
Every indy ikp has that issue. NHS knows about it - they told me to just use loctite.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1361 on: May 04, 2023, 03:19:52 PM »

The only thing that concerns me is I think my back truck might have loosened on its own during the last session. Annoying truck issues like that during a session are a real bummer and not something I am really willing to put up with. Hopefully this isn't something persistent or I'll just switch back to the regular Forged Hollow.

I retired my Ace classics because of this, back truck would loosen by itself and I ate shit on a wallie 180 going pretty fast, I thought about putting some Lock Tite or superblue but didn't want to risk it not holding up...

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
« Reply #1362 on: May 04, 2023, 05:31:11 PM »
Got theses on either a free board or thrift store board a while back. California is great for shit like that… at least where i live…

Stage IX 129? The half crescent holes beneath the hangars got me kinda buggin

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 06:28:05 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: May 04, 2023, 08:01:58 PM »

Yup, pretty sure Stage 9s were the only ones with the holes in the baseplates.

Every indy ikp has that issue. NHS knows about it - they told me to just use loctite.

I was afraid of that. I'll give them a go for another couple of sessions but definitely not dealing with kingpin issues more than that. I'd rather go back to my usual 139 vs. 144 Forged Hollow madness. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #1364 on: May 04, 2023, 10:51:18 PM »
I put krux in my mindys….they do not loosen or tighten…..they are just kinda stuck there…

rikki

• Rep: 296
« Reply #1365 on: May 04, 2023, 11:28:24 PM »
After a couple of sessions on 144 Forged Hollow Mids, I have to say I really like the feel of this truck. I have 1.5mm risers on them to bring them up to 52mm. They feel snappy and turn great. Being lower and closer to the ledge is nice for grinds too. I really liked Indy Stage 10s so it's nice to have an Indy at around that height again.

I'm running 54 mm Classics and wheelbite hasn't been an issue yet, surprisingly.

Speaking of 144s, I'm really liking my new 144 Forged Titaniums so far. I was skeptical about the bushings as I've been riding either Ace trucks or Indys with Bones bushings for the recent past, but these mofos are just great. I like the way they turn but are not the least squirrely. And they're light.

Also, some peeps have pointed the issue of axles bending on the FT's, but none of that has happened to me yet with these. I skate more transition than e.g. ledges etc., so that might help.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1366 on: May 04, 2023, 11:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Speaking of 144s, I'm really liking my new 144 Forged Titaniums so far. I was skeptical about the bushings as I've been riding either Ace trucks or Indys with Bones bushings for the recent past, but these mofos are just great. I like the way they turn but are not the least squirrely. And they're light.

Also, some peeps have pointed the issue of axles bending on the FT's, but none of that has happened to me yet with these. I skate more transition than e.g. ledges etc., so that might help.

Indy makes more aftermarket bushings hardnesses (in both cylinder and conical) than any other truck mfg. With those, you should be able to get your trucks to turn/function •exactly• as you want them to.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Bill Salt

« Reply #1367 on: May 04, 2023, 11:33:28 PM »
I like the Titaniums but I noticed some deformation of the bolts holes on the plate.Never had that before on old indys...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1368 on: May 04, 2023, 11:37:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup, pretty sure Stage 9s were the only ones with the holes in the baseplates.

Expand Quote
[close]

I was afraid of that. I'll give them a go for another couple of sessions but definitely not dealing with kingpin issues more than that. I'd rather go back to my usual 139 vs. 144 Forged Hollow madness.

Yes you got it.  Stage 9 were the first very thin "computer drafted" hangers with the holes in the baseplates to make the trucks way more street / light weight orientated from older versions, which worked to a point, but I broke so many of those baseplates, as did everyone else it seems.

As to the Indy mid kingpin, best to get them where you want them and then mark on the kingpin in some way to keep an eye on them, see if they move, etc.  I found that if I had the kingpins done up full lock, they didn't move at all, so either having just the right bushing option to then have full lock, or the nearest thing is the best way to skate them for the life of the trucks, but having them more on the looser side means that the kingpin is only half way down in the threads and more likely to move, as well as sitting up higher, causing less clearance.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1369 on: May 05, 2023, 01:27:34 AM »
I like the Titaniums but I noticed some deformation of the bolts holes on the plate.Never had that before on old indys...
the forged plate feels a bit softer than the raw one
it could just be that your hardware was loose for too long too

IpathCats

« Reply #1370 on: May 05, 2023, 05:52:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged plate is def harder than the cast plates.

Hardware was too loose.

Hardware holes getting all oval-y has always happened because of this

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1371 on: May 05, 2023, 07:04:17 AM »
I was always really lame about swapping bushings cuz of the idea that Indy's stock are like, just bolt on and then work. But when they moved to China I swear the bushings got softer or my preferences changed. I recently have been using blues and they're great. I still get a super deep turn but it doesn't push into bite as easily.

rikki

• Rep: 296
« Reply #1372 on: May 05, 2023, 07:23:45 AM »
I was always really lame about swapping bushings cuz of the idea that Indy's stock are like, just bolt on and then work. But when they moved to China I swear the bushings got softer or my preferences changed. I recently have been using blues and they're great. I still get a super deep turn but it doesn't push into bite as easily.

You might be onto something here. As a part-time Ace rider, I actually really like the current stock orange Indy bushings. Might give the blue ones a go someday, though.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1373 on: May 05, 2023, 08:10:51 AM »

I also use blue. Love them.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1374 on: May 05, 2023, 08:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Hardware was too loose.

You're right, i typed it the other way around. brainfart
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 08:36:29 AM by BALARGUE »

IpathCats

« Reply #1375 on: May 05, 2023, 09:31:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Hardware was too loose.

[close]

You're right, i typed it the other way around. brainfart

No sweat homie! <3

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1169
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1376 on: May 05, 2023, 09:31:30 AM »

@LebowskisRug not trying to add to any bushing swap madness but I've found that the Indy 90D orange aftermarkets are actually harder than the new standard issue ones for some reason.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1377 on: May 05, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »
As to the Indy mid kingpin, best to get them where you want them and then mark on the kingpin in some way to keep an eye on them, see if they move, etc.  I found that if I had the kingpins done up full lock, they didn't move at all, so either having just the right bushing option to then have full lock, or the nearest thing is the best way to skate them for the life of the trucks, but having them more on the looser side means that the kingpin is only half way down in the threads and more likely to move, as well as sitting up higher, causing less clearance.

Already have the kingpin nut marked with a sharpie for the next session. Hopefully they stay put.

And I actually was riding my trucks slightly looser than normal last session to break in the bushings. I ride my trucks at a solid medium so getting full lock with the stock bushings might not be a problem.

Thanks!

logjammin

• Rep: 345
« Reply #1378 on: May 05, 2023, 07:08:25 PM »
Echoing Firebert above, yeah if you are all about running inverted kingpins loctite is something that will need to be a part of your routine when messing with your trucks. Whether it’s the new Indy IKP baseplates or any other brand, if you run loose trucks and carve a lot, the nylock just isn’t enough. It’s really not that bad though, anytime I need to take apart my trucks to mess with bushings I just clean and wax all contact points like usual, then just reapply loctite and let it sit overnight. Haven’t had any issues with them loosening by not letting it cure for 24hrs. I use the OG Krux kingpins and the grind is just so damn good. Never hang up, never even touch the top washer thing that fits around the kingpin, and I’m about to be hitting axle any day now.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1379 on: May 05, 2023, 11:25:52 PM »