Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720747 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4920 on: April 04, 2023, 04:24:11 PM »

There are definitely different ways to make it work, but the few sets I have seen others dye penetrated less than a single mm into the wheel.  They looked good when done, then kinda looked cool too when they wore down as the sidewall was still coloured but the riding surface was back to a natural colour.  Not sure if some wheels had the dye really get in a lot more than others, but also keen to hear if anyone else has done this and have their results show.

Darren Navarrette used to bulk dye a lot of the original formula Spitfires in tubs where they would sit on skewers / sticks to hold the wheels half in / half out to get some crazy trippy combos like this page:

https://www.skeletonkeymfg.com/creature-bat-wing.html

Then the Spitfire and Skeleton Key colab had a single half dyed wheel with three plain too.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spitfire-x-skeletonkey/

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/spitfire-wheels-x-skeleton-key-mfg-99d-skateboard-wheels-59mm-p26672

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4921 on: April 05, 2023, 07:13:30 AM »
lol skeleton key...  ;D

i want to say my 14 year old self would really want a green on purple wheel but lets not kid ourselves i still want that now
the green on black is definintely more tasteful

do the coloured formula feel different to the main ones? I noticed on Bones STF the colored wheels felt significantly stickier (not sure if they were same duro though) the white ones i have feel so damn light and plasticy vs. the black ones feel heavier and more solid

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4922 on: April 05, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
lol skeleton key...  ;D

i want to say my 14 year old self would really want a green on purple wheel but lets not kid ourselves i still want that now

do the coloured formula feel different to the main ones? I noticed on Bones STF the colored wheels felt significantly stickier (not sure if they were same duro though) the white ones i have feel so damn light and plasticy vs. the black ones feel heavier and more solid

I think the technology has now come far enough that any of the different coloured Spitfire wheels still feel the same in terms of hardness, slide and longevity.

From the half a dozen sets of different colours I have had / still have in used sets in 99 duro, be it the solid single colours or the mix n match or even swirls, they all seemed to be the same, but like you said, some others have definitely felt like other wheels were harder or softer in different colours.

Back in the day, people would often get certain colour wheels if they wanted softer and others if they wanted harder because some of the dyes really did affect the performance of the wheels.

roll_dog

« Reply #4923 on: April 05, 2023, 09:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
lol skeleton key...  ;D

[close]

I think the technology has now come far enough that any of the different coloured Spitfire wheels still feel the same in terms of hardness, slide and longevity.

From the half a dozen sets of different colours I have had / still have in used sets in 99 duro, be it the solid single colours or the mix n match or even swirls, they all seemed to be the same, but like you said, some others have definitely felt like other wheels were harder or softer in different colours.

Back in the day, people would often get certain colour wheels if they wanted softer and others if they wanted harder because some of the dyes really did affect the performance of the wheels.

Still happening now really, everyone who rode the old white 99a STFs liked them better than the new brown ones.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4924 on: April 06, 2023, 07:08:10 PM »
Recently got 54mm Conical 101’s. Stoked on the decision. Thanks for everyone’s input!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4925 on: April 07, 2023, 08:51:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
lol skeleton key...  ;D

[close]

[close]

Still happening now really, everyone who rode the old white 99a STFs liked them better than the new brown ones.

The yellow STFs felt like older school petroleum based urethanes, not plasticy and more like F4s; I’d snag them whenever I could.

Brown/ off white STFs are garbage these days.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4926 on: April 08, 2023, 03:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote

What's the best way to do this? I've seen some people do dye only (no water), or leave it in for a week up to a month, or vary their temperatures, etc.

Gonna give it a try as long as the heat doesn't degrade the F4s
[close]

idk about the best way, but imo that was way to short for that dye to get in to anything but the outside layer. gonna be riding 50-50 creamcicles at the end of the day.

Best luck I had was rit synthetic in a quart jar cold soak for as long as you can stand it. Days, weeks, months. Just enough water to cover so shit is max concentration.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4927 on: April 08, 2023, 05:31:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What's the best way to do this? I've seen some people do dye only (no water), or leave it in for a week up to a month, or vary their temperatures, etc.

[close]

idk about the best way, but imo that was way to short for that dye to get in to anything but the outside layer. gonna be riding 50-50 creamcicles at the end of the day.
[close]

Best luck I had was rit synthetic in a quart jar cold soak for as long as you can stand it. Days, weeks, months. Just enough water to cover so shit is max concentration.

How far in did it penetrate?

Riding surface is what I had in mind, or how long did you skate them?

Thanks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4928 on: April 08, 2023, 05:46:24 PM »

There are definitely different ways to make it work, but the few sets I have seen others dye penetrated less than a single mm into the wheel.  They looked good when done, then kinda looked cool too when they wore down as the sidewall was still coloured but the riding surface was back to a natural colour.  Not sure if some wheels had the dye really get in a lot more than others, but also keen to hear if anyone else has done this and have their results show.

Darren Navarrette used to bulk dye a lot of the original formula Spitfires in tubs where they would sit on skewers / sticks to hold the wheels half in / half out to get some crazy trippy combos like this page:

https://www.skeletonkeymfg.com/creature-bat-wing.html

Then the Spitfire and Skeleton Key colab had a single half dyed wheel with three plain too.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spitfire-x-skeletonkey/

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/spitfire-wheels-x-skeleton-key-mfg-99d-skateboard-wheels-59mm-p26672

those are killer
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4929 on: April 09, 2023, 12:17:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks.

Wow. I just cut one in half. Way more than I thought. I’d say it penetrated 6mm or so. Biggest thing I see is that the outer couple mms are the darkest, so the riding surface will show wear, but it’s a long way before getting to natural. From what I remember, that one soaked for several days but less than a week.  Also, it’s surprisingly easy to cut a 95a wheel in half with a sharp knife.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4930 on: April 13, 2023, 12:26:25 PM »
First time skating f4s 99s.
In a slick park I have the feeling they don’t grip as good as other wheels. I had stf‘s for example. I even had orbs. When landing a bit sideway and slide a backside 180 around they don’t grip hood to me. I hope this will change when I’m used to them

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4931 on: April 13, 2023, 02:10:10 PM »
In a slick park I have the feeling they don’t grip as good as other wheels. I had stf‘s for example. I even had orbs. When landing a bit sideway and slide a backside 180 around they don’t grip hood to me. I hope this will change when I’m used to them
Ride around some rough terrain to create some texture on the riding surface and they should be way better.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4932 on: April 13, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ride around some rough terrain to create some texture on the riding surface and they should be way better.

Will try. So they are more a street-street wheel and not street park?

What would be better for that?

DERBY

• Rep: 272
« Reply #4933 on: April 13, 2023, 02:55:56 PM »

how fresh is your set? 99 f4s are icy out the box. power slide them around on street and once they break in you’ll see

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #4934 on: April 13, 2023, 03:02:46 PM »
It would be really sick if they made 58 OG classics again. I hope these do go the way of the Mike Anderson SFWs I miss those. I think I had 56s of those though.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4935 on: April 13, 2023, 03:17:28 PM »
lol skeleton key...  ;D

I had 52mm Classic 99a F4s in that mint color they dropped in like 14. They were really good and I rode the heck out of them. They should rerelease them.

Also, a friend lent me a pair of slime green bones STF and they were really good. Fastest wheel I’ve been on.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4936 on: April 13, 2023, 03:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how fresh is your set? 99 f4s are icy out the box. power slide them around on street and once they break in you’ll see

Skated them maybe for bit over two hours in a very slick park.

Ok, if they will change everything is fine.

They don’t even have any grooves when they are brand new. I think my other wheels had, but not sure

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4937 on: April 13, 2023, 04:24:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Skated them maybe for bit over two hours in a very slick park.

Ok, if they will change everything is fine.

They don’t even have any grooves when they are brand new. I think my other wheels had, but not sure

Yeah spits don’t have the grooves.  But I think you may end up enjoying them. Just skate some ground that wears them quick but I think you’ll enjoy them F4s are the leader for a reason. Not saying you can’t stray from that. But give them a fair bit and see what you think

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4938 on: April 13, 2023, 06:32:24 PM »
It would be really sick if they made 58 OG classics again. I hope these do go the way of the Mike Anderson SFWs I miss those. I think I had 56s of those though.

Just wait...

You won't be disappointed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4939 on: April 14, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks.
[close]

Wow. I just cut one in half. Way more than I thought. I’d say it penetrated 6mm or so. Biggest thing I see is that the outer couple mms are the darkest, so the riding surface will show wear, but it’s a long way before getting to natural. From what I remember, that one soaked for several days but less than a week.  Also, it’s surprisingly easy to cut a 95a wheel in half with a sharp knife.

I would be very interested to see pics...

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4940 on: April 15, 2023, 06:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #4941 on: April 15, 2023, 07:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
Please bring back the OG Classics it is the best shape of them all!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4942 on: April 15, 2023, 11:22:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]

People in the know have said the 58 and 60mm OG Classics will be coming out again in the next drop or so, as per previous messages in this thread or others.

I don't know when or any other details, but I have been keeping track of things, as I like to do with Spitfire wheels.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #4943 on: April 16, 2023, 08:03:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]
[close]

People in the know have said the 58 and 60mm OG Classics will be coming out again in the next drop or so, as per previous messages in this thread or others.

I don't know when or any other details, but I have been keeping track of things, as I like to do with Spitfire wheels.

Just curious, what makes you hold out for these giant OGs instead of supplementing with some con fulls or radials that have been out in the past? Are you mostly skating big transitions and like the largest contact patch while keeping the width as small as possible?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #4944 on: April 16, 2023, 09:13:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]
[close]

[close]

Just curious, what makes you hold out for these giant OGs instead of supplementing with some con fulls or radials that have been out in the past? Are you mostly skating big transitions and like the largest contact patch while keeping the width as small as possible?

My favorite skater is Matt Reason and I live in New Jersey and lots of the ground I even skate flat on is garbage. Big wheels make it easier

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4945 on: April 16, 2023, 10:26:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]
[close]

Tick tock.

Plz Bison if you see the drop alert me.  I stuck aside some bread for the day.

I need to have at least 2 sets of 58s on ice to feel whole.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4946 on: April 16, 2023, 10:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]
[close]

[close]

The shape is incredible. I like them so much more than connies and locks.

Really it's about that purple graphic size. It's absolute perfection. When combined with the shape it's just the top wheel ever made imo

(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4947 on: April 16, 2023, 12:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

My favorite skater is Matt Reason and I live in New Jersey and lots of the ground I even skate flat on is garbage. Big wheels make it easier

Something about those Mike Anderson sfws was legendary. I had some 53s (small wheel guy here) and they were fantastic: handled some less than ideal pavement/asphalt/gravel, all the whole the feel/texture/vibrations just felt correct. Was the formula different?
I tend to whinge and moan ALOT with bigger wheels. EE3 days and I absolutely did not care and would gladly crank the shit/life/will to turn out of my trucks and throw some 60s onto a 7.8 and feel like the biggest beast in the streets. And the ollies were sick. Now…just looking at my board with big wheels causes me physical pain.
I really need to work out something besides my thumbs
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 06:42:56 PM by Ok »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4948 on: April 16, 2023, 06:53:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just wait...

[close]

Tell me more.
More OG classics soon?
[close]
[close]

[close]

Me personally - not really into the OG shape at all, but I know others have been super keen to get more and know when they are coming out again, as they stopped making them for a while to get through the back log of other wheels and shapes / sizes that were coming out.

As to bigger wheels in general, I used to ride the Big Head 57 and 59 mm wheels until they were down under 50 mm and definitely like the wider profile wheels, but for Formula Four, the Classic Full are my normal go to, along with Radials as is, Classics when worn down or Conical Full wheels when worn down and I round off the edges a bit more, most of those from 54 to 52 or smaller in the trade in / swaps I do with other people.

I am sure others will give you more info, but at least the wide riding surface and a bit more narrow width overall are two reasons others I know like them a lot, especially the bigger sizes, as they don't want wheels as wide as mine, but still want the bigger diameter overall.

In Conical Full, they get a bit too big and chunky once past 54 mm, but again, some people really like the shape of those wheels as well, so everyone is going to have their own preferences.

The most noise comes from those who like wheels that are discontinued or reduced in production, as per the Radial Slims, but I think there were other factors at play there, hence stopping production and changing any existing graphics as well for future runs of them.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4949 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:39 AM »
I know this is the Formula Four thread, but are there any Non F4 spitfire wheels worth checking out? I noticed they do a 80du wheel, I feel like n oone ever talks about spitfire for a cruiser wheel, maybe just better off to go with OJ or Dragons or something if I want that type of wheel?