Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797915 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4110 on: September 04, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

Had some hardline 99 ojs in before and didn't really like the feel; they felt kinda sticky. These though...good slide and fast as fuck on on smooth ground. I'll have to learn backside flips so I can cry about flat spots.
[close]

Did you ride the 99a elite Formula or some older Formula in hardline shape?
[close]
I had the elites. I should probably caveat my sticky comments by saying that, when I was riding the hard lines, it was really hot out and I was coming from nfgs, which can feel like skating on icecubes.
[close]

Just had a short flatground session with the 99a hardline today. Did a few powerslides and reverts. So far I'm very pleased. They are fast and slide decent. Compared to my 99a stf wheels they feel more forgiving on rough ground and the slide feels more controllable.
[close]

I had Insane-a-thane and I’m a masochist so I bought elites. They’re surprisingly good, not as good as F4s but a solid option.

so i have a friend who loved the insane-a-thane & is always saying how he wishes it was still around, but when i look it up i can't find out much. can someone regale me with some info and maybe i can help this dude out lol

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4111 on: September 04, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

Had some hardline 99 ojs in before and didn't really like the feel; they felt kinda sticky. These though...good slide and fast as fuck on on smooth ground. I'll have to learn backside flips so I can cry about flat spots.
[close]

[close]
I had the elites. I should probably caveat my sticky comments by saying that, when I was riding the hard lines, it was really hot out and I was coming from nfgs, which can feel like skating on icecubes.
[close]

Just had a short flatground session with the 99a hardline today. Did a few powerslides and reverts. So far I'm very pleased. They are fast and slide decent. Compared to my 99a stf wheels they feel more forgiving on rough ground and the slide feels more controllable.
[close]

I had Insane-a-thane and I’m a masochist so I bought elites. They’re surprisingly good, not as good as F4s but a solid option.
[close]

so i have a friend who loved the insane-a-thane & is always saying how he wishes it was still around, but when i look it up i can't find out much. can someone regale me with some info and maybe i can help this dude out lol

I couldn't say for sure, but I still have half a dozen sets of them sitting here in the shop, as they all went on clearance from the distributor, even before the pandemic and overall change of everything to being made in China.

They were a very hard and slippery wheel when compared to the Elite formula (and other brands), one set tended to flatspot easily that was in rotation in the loan pool, but they were only surface spots that would come out soon enough.

From all the people that tried them, most went with other options, only one guy I know was really keen on them.

That in itself is an indication that they were not so well received, but the new ones all look more like Insane-a-thane than Elites now anyway, the plastic white colour, compared to the milky white that they used to be, but they don't feel as hard and slippery in these new ones.

Still skate ok to me, but when I can have just ok wheels, or I can have great wheels (Spitfire F4 99s) I will go with great wheels every time, regardless of the natural urethane (non-white) colour that I know some people don't like.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4112 on: September 04, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
They felt differently.
STF feels plasticky and F4 Spits feel grippy and fast. These felt chalky. Mine felt grippy and slow. They were a bummer and I ended up giving them out.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4113 on: September 04, 2021, 07:11:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did anyone end up buying/skating Snot Wheels?  I ordered a set of the 53mm conical ones that I was able to find online for a shaped board/curb setup (not too many options from the first drop left out there).  Curious how they felt and how durable they are compared to F4.  These are the 99s. 
[close]

I did, 52mm 101a clear greens. They don't slide for shit and feel slow (but smooth). Took them off during the session, wouldn't even ditch them at the spot because no one should have to try and slide them.

[close]

Just retired some 52mm 101a Clear Snots a friend got me as a gift. Had them for about two months, pretty easy to flatspot but would sort themselves out in 15 or so minutes. Now they're getting square and sounding like a little yamaha if the ground's smooth enough. Was a fun summer wheel with the light shining through them. Didn't hold up too well and a bitch to get rolling on remotely rough ground but I was happy to have the transparent wheels of my childhood skatepark dreams.

Now I'm back on the spitfire F4s, picked up the teal 54mm 97D conicals for the bigger board and back to my 99s for the smaller board. It really is crazy how smooth and slidey the F4's are, feels good to go down a block with two pushes again. It's not like the snots couldn't slide, but it took me a sesh or two to get used to how much more the F4s will give.

Can’t go wrong with any of the F4s.  I have Loopholes on my board right now and they’re decent (they’re comparatively so wide for the wheel size it looks sick) but objectively nowhere near as good as Conical Fulls in the 99a or 97a duros.

I’ll give the Snots a shot and see how it goes.  They’re going on a second setup to mess around on so it might not bother me too much.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4114 on: September 05, 2021, 07:47:55 AM »

I wish these still existed. Mine got stolen
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #4115 on: September 05, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »

I wish these still existed. Mine got stolen

DTFs were the best. I think I read on here a few months ago that they are supposed to be coming back. It would make sense with the number of skaters appreciating wheels that aren’t super hard again. The 97a Spitfires and 95a OJ Nomads seem to be getting a lot of love, I’m sure Bones is aware and would like to cash in on that market.

I just recently got a set of the Speedlab 60mm 95a Strangehouse wheels and they are the closest feeling wheel to DTF that I have found since they stopped making them. The main difference is the Speedlabs will actually slide, but they’re also wider/heavier. The sharp conical cuts make them more manageable vs similarly wide wheels like Slimeballs

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #4116 on: September 05, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
Anyone try bones 100s? I’ve heard mixed reviews, looking for something a tad bit softer and wider than F4 99s without treads and the bones 100s are the only wheels that seem to fit the bill.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4117 on: September 05, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
Used to Ride Pusher wheels steady for about a year or so. I have never really liked spits because the flatspotted way too easily, Bones feel too plastic and slick, but I recently got a job with SML and am really stoked to be working with a rad company that has a great feel and quality wheels. I highly suggest giving them a try ( not just because i work for them ).They are just really great wheels

ya SML urethane is the from the old darkstar wheel factory formula. i tried the ag formula and a decent wheel especially for the price i got them for $18 new. but i wish they would make a 96a formula cuz i love the spit 97a and oj 95a nomads but some parks the 97a slide more on slick concrete but the 95a are perfect but other parks the 95a slide but have to put a little effort into it. they slightly softer wheel allows me to keep my speed more when hitting kickers and hips and give on bumps but are hard enough to slide like regular wheel.

sketchyrider

« Reply #4118 on: September 05, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
Anyone try bones 100s? I’ve heard mixed reviews, looking for something a tad bit softer and wider than F4 99s without treads and the bones 100s are the only wheels that seem to fit the bill.

they're price point wheels, not on the same level as f4. they feel softer only cause they have less rebound. they slide pretty well but just aren't that fast.

90sDamiano

« Reply #4119 on: September 05, 2021, 11:30:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they're price point wheels, not on the same level as f4. they feel softer only cause they have less rebound. they slide pretty well but just aren't that fast.

Thanks for your input, any recommendations for a smaller wheel with no tread that is softer than F4s?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4120 on: September 05, 2021, 03:04:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for your input, any recommendations for a smaller wheel with no tread that is softer than F4s?

NFG 95a formula

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

90sDamiano

« Reply #4121 on: September 05, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

NFG 95a formula

Word thanks

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4122 on: September 05, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I couldn't say for sure, but I still have half a dozen sets of them sitting here in the shop, as they all went on clearance from the distributor, even before the pandemic and overall change of everything to being made in China.

They were a very hard and slippery wheel when compared to the Elite formula (and other brands), one set tended to flatspot easily that was in rotation in the loan pool, but they were only surface spots that would come out soon enough.

From all the people that tried them, most went with other options, only one guy I know was really keen on them.

That in itself is an indication that they were not so well received, but the new ones all look more like Insane-a-thane than Elites now anyway, the plastic white colour, compared to the milky white that they used to be, but they don't feel as hard and slippery in these new ones.

Still skate ok to me, but when I can have just ok wheels, or I can have great wheels (Spitfire F4 99s) I will go with great wheels every time, regardless of the natural urethane (non-white) colour that I know some people don't like.

i told my dude about this and he was still stoked, looks like he's #2 on people stoked on them. am i reading that right that you have a bunch sitting around? if so i might hit you up about this  8)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4123 on: September 05, 2021, 07:40:08 PM »

I told my dude about this and he was still stoked, looks like he's #2 on people stoked on them. am i reading that right that you have a bunch sitting around? if so i might hit you up about this  8)

Easy, if you are in Australia.

Not so easy if you are anywhere else, as shipping is expensive by air or takes months by surface.

I would say there are other "hard and slick feeling wheels" out there in the more local market in any country though, but it might take a minute to find them.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #4124 on: September 06, 2021, 03:32:01 AM »
Anyone else find that Spitfires F4 really scuff up and mark easily? Like indents and ect. 101a

Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4125 on: September 06, 2021, 05:21:27 PM »
Anyone else find that Spitfires F4 really scuff up and mark easily? Like indents and ect. 101a

They score on sandpapery ground.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4126 on: September 06, 2021, 09:23:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did it for Shin !

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i told my dude about this and he was still stoked, looks like he's #2 on people stoked on them. am i reading that right that you have a bunch sitting around? if so i might hit you up about this  8)

#3 here - I was a huge fan of insane 101 hardlines, they were wickedly fast in bowls yet still gripped (not glassy like SPF) and unlike SPF they still worked, for me, great on street.

Personally, I didn't find the chalky (that's reserved for Ricta Chrome Cores); they really reminded me of the 1st gen of LandSharks (damn I miss those wheels).

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #4127 on: September 07, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hmm, most my skating is at the skatepark haha. Love the shapes, I feel the hardness goes away after 3-4 weeks and these marks and indents get noticeable. idk
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4128 on: September 07, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hmm, most my skating is at the skatepark haha. Love the shapes, I feel the hardness goes away after 3-4 weeks and these marks and indents get noticeable. idk
get over it.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #4129 on: September 07, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
get over it.

You have never contributed anything of value to a conversation. There's no reason to be so rude and dismissive of others.

I had pre-pandemic Spits 101a f4's laying around and tried them after riding a recently produced set. The new ones feel chalkier, reminiscent of 101a Dual Durometer Autobahns before they changed their formula circa ~2014.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #4130 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
get over it.
[close]

You have never contributed anything of value to a conversation. There's no reason to be so rude and dismissive of others.
Kick his ass Sea bass!

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4131 on: September 07, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
get over it.
[close]

I had pre-pandemic Spits 101a f4's laying around and tried them after riding a recently produced set. The new ones feel chalkier, reminiscent of 101a Dual Durometer Autobahns before they changed their formula circa ~2014.
😢😢😢my wheels have dents in them 😢😢😢 i can feel them 😢😢😢😢

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4132 on: September 07, 2021, 06:40:21 PM »

I have said it before and others have agreed at times, but I have always found the Spitfire F4 99s to be really stable and decent for everything, compared to the 101s which have always been a bit weird, some harder, some softer, some just don't really slide well at all and similar things.

Not sure what the deal is there, but 99s just seem to have always been a better wheel.

So many other brands that have 101s don't seem like 101s and more like 99 or even 97 or 98 with the tackiness feeling more than anything, as they just don't seem to slide well on much, when compared to other wheels.  Some seem so icy and more slippery on everything which is fine if that is what you want, but many people are not that keen on having that much slip and slide either.

I cannot even think how many sets of new and especially used wheels have come and gone, all of which I will try, given the chance, which is why Spitfire F4 99s always come up as the winner, even though I do have lots of other wheels, both hard and soft, that I like for certain ramps, or different terrain.

Visually some wheels will develop more cuts and marks, especially if you are skating something that will cause issues, eg sharp edges on a ledge or rougher bits of bitumen, along with gaps or edges of concrete, wood or other surfaces that the wheels catch on, in particular while sliding or hitting on an angle, rather than just rolling over.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #4133 on: September 08, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »
Not sure if it’s been covered or not…

I just set up some SML. coffee cruzers (83 I think) with new Bones Reds. I like to tighten the nut so there’s a little wiggle room for the wheel, you know, normal shit. I have washers on both sides with no spacers in the middle of the bearings.
I’ve noticed that as soon as I skate the board for a second the wiggle room has completely gone away. Wheel still spins fine but no movement side to side from the wheel. Are the bearings moving because of heat or something?? It’s tripping me the fuck out. I thought that it might be the bearings have time to set into the wheel but it’s been doing this for ages. My other 2 set ups don’t do this, one with big balls with spacers in the middle and one with modus with no spacers. This morning I loosened the fuxk out of the nuts so there was a ton of room to move the wheels side to side and straight away, no movement! My madness is kick the fuxk in! Lol help. It’s probably something very simple and I’m a straight up nob end

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4134 on: September 08, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »
Not sure if it’s been covered or not…

I just set up some SML. coffee cruzers (83 I think) with new Bones Reds. I like to tighten the nut so there’s a little wiggle room for the wheel, you know, normal shit. I have washers on both sides with no spacers in the middle of the bearings.
I’ve noticed that as soon as I skate the board for a second the wiggle room has completely gone away. Wheel still spins fine but no movement side to side from the wheel. Are the bearings moving because of heat or something?? It’s tripping me the fuck out. I thought that it might be the bearings have time to set into the wheel but it’s been doing this for ages. My other 2 set ups don’t do this, one with big balls with spacers in the middle and one with modus with no spacers. This morning I loosened the fuxk out of the nuts so there was a ton of room to move the wheels side to side and straight away, no movement! My madness is kick the fuxk in! Lol help. It’s probably something very simple and I’m a straight up nob end

Bearings do move a lot more in some wheels compared to others.

I used to have a set of slightly softer wheels of a known "good quality" brand (no not Bones or Spitfires) that I would always have to constantly push and pull after each run as the bearings would come out of the bearing seat when I would do things that make the wheels have a sideways pressure, like smith grinds or even just a 180 on flat sliding the board around.

Some brands seem to have this more than others, or softer wheels without the harder core (and even some with) if the core does not hold the bearing in tightly.

End of the day, I got used to it, but it did drive me nuts so was happy to get off those wheels and on to something else that didn't have that issue.

If the bearings push in and pull out of the wheels too easily, you are going to have this issue for the life of the wheels, or even more so as they get older, but some combinations of bearing and wheel will also do this more or less than others, even though the bearings and wheels are supposed to have the exact same dimensions.

If you put the board on its axles, stand with both feet sort of on or around the wheel that is on the ground and pull up and push down on the upper end wheel of the same axle, feel if they pop back in a bit, often hearing a pop or click sound, and you will know they are moving or not.  Do this to both axles, then turn the board over and repeat.  This is what I used to have to do.

There is not really any solution, besides putting in spacers and running things a bit tighter, so there is no bearing movement, but often that will result in the board sounding dead or hollow, which can be off putting too.  If they don't tighten right down without the bearings stopping spinning, put a washer in with the spacer (on the inside) which gives a touch more clearance and frees up the bearings, but will still have a dead sound, unless the bearings are raw or dry.

bombsaway86

« Reply #4135 on: September 08, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the wheel heating up that causes this. This has been happening to me with every wheel/bearing/truck combination I’ve tried for the last few years. Common denominator is that I started skating big transition right around the time it started happening. More speed = wheels heating up and expanding = bearings backing out of wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4136 on: September 09, 2021, 04:27:32 AM »
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the wheel heating up that causes this. This has been happening to me with every wheel/bearing/truck combination I’ve tried for the last few years. Common denominator is that I started skating big transition right around the time it started happening. More speed = wheels heating up and expanding = bearings backing out of wheels.

Yeah, sounds about right.

I know when we do constant laps around a square bowl the wheels do get quite warm, but I haven't had anything like that with setups, so I am curious which wheel brands in particular.

The guys who skated vert at the indoor park I was at often talked about "hot wheels" but again no mention of movement in Bones, Spitfire, OJs or other brands of wheels they had.

bombsaway86

« Reply #4137 on: September 09, 2021, 07:01:18 AM »
When this first started happening I got new wheels, then bearings, then trucks trying to fix it. It’s happened with Bones SPF, Speedlab, and Spitfire F4 99. Bearings are always Swiss 6, trucks are always Ace.

I will say it happens a lot less with Spitfire F4 compared to Bones and Speedlab. I’ve also noticed this doesn’t happen with cored wheels. I rode some Rainskates 98a wheels for a few weeks and it never happened. It never happens on my cruiser with 78a Slimeballs either and I haul ass on that thing.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4138 on: September 09, 2021, 07:09:16 AM »

Yes, from slide tricks. But it never seemed to mess with performance. I did have a big old gouge come out of one 101 and Spitfire sent me a fresh set. I don't skate the 101s anymore though. 99s are the best all rounders.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4139 on: September 09, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, from slide tricks. But it never seemed to mess with performance. I did have a big old gouge come out of one 101 and Spitfire sent me a fresh set. I don't skate the 101s anymore though. 99s are the best all rounders.

All wheels do this? I mean, come on, you are riding plastic on pavement. I've experienced chunks taken out (screws on boxes) and slices (glass); nature of the beast.