Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 786584 times)

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4170 on: September 20, 2021, 06:14:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone have thoughts on OJ’s Original Formula? Decent or no?

I’ve got my eye on those 58mm Shin Sanbongi Mini Combos but the only OJ’s I’ve used are Super Juice/ Keyframes.
[close]

It is called Elite formula and I had to check but it was someone else who asked and replied on the last page:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3638406#msg3638406

I have had them, but as per the last page info:

They are a decent wheel, but they do flatspot more easily than some other brands, as has been noted by some people (and first hand experience) but they make good options, lots of sizes, shapes and different duros, eg 101, 99, 97, 95

As per many wheels, they might be ok, but they are not Bones or Spitfire Formula Four, by which all others are measured nowdays.

Thank you for the reply.

The way their website describes the Elite Urethane and the Original urethane (below the Elite) had me thinking that they were two different formulas.

https://ojwheels.com/urethane

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4171 on: September 20, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have thoughts on OJ’s Original Formula? Decent or no?

I’ve got my eye on those 58mm Shin Sanbongi Mini Combos but the only OJ’s I’ve used are Super Juice/ Keyframes.
[close]

It is called Elite formula and I had to check but it was someone else who asked and replied on the last page:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3638406#msg3638406

I have had them, but as per the last page info:

They are a decent wheel, but they do flatspot more easily than some other brands, as has been noted by some people (and first hand experience) but they make good options, lots of sizes, shapes and different duros, eg 101, 99, 97, 95

As per many wheels, they might be ok, but they are not Bones or Spitfire Formula Four, by which all others are measured nowdays.
[close]

Thank you for the reply.

The way their website describes the Elite Urethane and the Original urethane (below the Elite) had me thinking that they were two different formulas.

https://ojwheels.com/urethane

I see what you are saying.

The older wheels seemed to be a much more milky colour, when still made in the USA, but all the newer ones are that hard plasticy looking pure white colour, even in the ones that were milky white in their previous versions, so it is a bit funny which one is which nowdays.

Those ones listed as original I have as well and they are again decent wheels, so I would say about the same response in regard to those and the Elite formula.

Note:  I feel like the 99 duro wheels are much more grippy than other 99 duro wheels I have had, which is a good thing for the most part.

Give them a try and see how they are for you.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4172 on: September 20, 2021, 07:35:14 PM »
I want to give Shin my money but not sure if I want to stray from Loophole and maybe the occasional F4.
On another note, how do 58mm wheels ride on aces? I already rock 1/8 riser pads, should I go up to 1/4”?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4173 on: September 20, 2021, 08:12:18 PM »
I want to give Shin my money but not sure if I want to stray from Loophole and maybe the occasional F4.
On another note, how do 58mm wheels ride on aces? I already rock 1/8 riser pads, should I go up to 1/4”?

I ride 58 and 60mm on 44’s and 55’s no problem with 1/4 risers.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4174 on: September 20, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »

You’ll be fine with the 1/8” riser

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4175 on: September 21, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »
I rock 58s on aces with no risers and its fine

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4176 on: September 21, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm after some wide 58-60mm wheels for ditches.  I've got some 90A Rat Bones and they're ok but just a bit soft, is there anything else out there around like 95A I should check out?
[close]

NFG 95a 60mm Vee shape

https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/grim-95a-ptf-crust-60mm-vee

Yeah these wheels are dope.  Thanks again for the tip.

GrapeApeAffe

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4177 on: September 22, 2021, 12:28:21 PM »
Hi all.

I picked up some older Speedlab Bombshells off of Amazon.   They were sold out locally and online and I had a gift card so took a chance on these.  Plus this was a limited colorway a few years ago you can’t get anymore.

But the edges where the bearings seat have what looks like manufacturing defects like chips.  I’m not talking about the bubbles on the inner ring.   I mean the chips along the edge between the graphic and bearing seat.

Think these are ok to ride?   

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4178 on: September 22, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »
Do these wheels still feel soft or more porous? Since you mentioned, they are a few years old.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about that and just enjoy the ride as long as possible or til the wheels give up.
IG: @flowterspace

GrapeApeAffe

« Reply #4179 on: September 22, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »
Do these wheels still feel soft or more porous? Since you mentioned, they are a few years old.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about that and just enjoy the ride as long as possible or til the wheels give up.

No they feel normal.   I’ve just never seen this before.

Full disclosure... I did email Speedlab and they said they should be fine.  But I’ve been lurking here for awhile and wanted you’re opinion.

BTW I do still have time to return these via amazon, but I really like the color and wanted to ride them, so figured I’d ask here first.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4180 on: September 22, 2021, 06:54:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Full disclosure... I did email Speedlab and they said they should be fine.  But I’ve been lurking here for awhile and wanted you’re opinion.

BTW I do still have time to return these via amazon, but I really like the color and wanted to ride them, so figured I’d ask here first.

Had a few like that over the years and it shouldn't affect performance at all, when it is not on the riding surface.

If anything is through the outer area or the riding surface you are going to feel it more on smooth concrete or wooden / metal ramps, but on rough concrete or bitumen surface, even outer surface blemishes and bubbles don't affect the ride at all.

In the same way, some solidly flatspotted wheels I have still work really well on rough surfaces, but drive me crazy on smooth concrete parks or ramps.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4181 on: September 23, 2021, 07:55:03 AM »
I think I read somewhere on here that wheels actually slightly harden over time not soften... ?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4182 on: September 23, 2021, 09:19:43 AM »
I decided I wanted to switch it up a little from what I've been riding recently, so I got some Mini Cubics. I've been riding 60mm 95a wheels for a little over a year now, so I don't think the extra 4mm on top will affect me as much as the drastic increase in wideness will lol. I'll be going from a 33.5mm wide wheel to one that is 57mm wide, so I'll be increasing the width of my board by about 1.85 inches. While writing this comment I realized that I do not have either a board or a set of trucks to accommodate the additional width, so it looks like I walked myself into setting up a new complete again. I'm thinking I'll either use a 7.625" set of trucks with a ~9.5" board or get some Indy 109's with an 8.75" or maybe I'll find someone with a penny board they aren't using, harvest the hangars from their trucks and set them up with a different baseplate and some nicer bushings. The last time I used someone's penny board trucks it was a penny knockoff by Kryptonics, and they ended up turning pretty well. They were like 6" so I think that'll give me more wiggle room in terms of board sizing.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #4183 on: September 23, 2021, 10:26:11 AM »

i ride the 60mm f4 spitfires without a riser on 44 classics and it works but i only really skate transition. if you skate lots of flat / street i'd run a riser

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4184 on: September 23, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i ride the 60mm f4 spitfires without a riser on 44 classics and it works but i only really skate transition. if you skate lots of flat / street i'd run a riser

I think you'll be fine with 1/8". I am a pretty big guy and when I was running that combo (58mm speedlabs, Ace 44s, 1/8" risers) I never got serious wheelbite. I did eventually move up to 1/4" for that one, but it was moreso for pop feel.

Unrelated to that, I just want to skate my 87a keyframes all the time lately. I figured out how to revert and do power slides on them and am now addicted to how smooth they feel. Half of me is like "You need to stop this now" and the other half says, "relax, you're old, be comfortable".

I ended up buying another set and can't decide if I should set them up or go exchange them for some conical fulls.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:59:18 PM by Macho Taildrop »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4185 on: September 23, 2021, 01:19:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think you'll be fine with 1/8". I am a pretty big guy and when I was running that combo (58mm speedlabs, Ace 44s, 1/8" risers) I never got serious wheelbite. I did eventually move up to 1/4" for that one, but it was moreso for pop feel.

I'm skating loose Ace 44s with some 60mms right now, I'm using 1/8" risers and skating a good mix of street/transition and the wheelbite is there but definitely manageable. I could probably get away with not using a riser but the weight difference is negligible in my opinion so I'm not bothering to change it for more bite.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #4186 on: September 23, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
Anyone have recommendations for fast cruiser wheels? The best I’ve ridden were the older Mini Logo AWOL 59mm 78a. They’re a bit slimmer and lighter than the 60mm Super Juices. I don’t know if it’s due to that or just a better formula but they just accelerate quicker and roll longer.

I don’t care a ton about how well they slide or pop, I just want a soft wheel that’s fast and smooth and somewhere around 60mm. I haven’t tried the newer 80a Mini Logo AWOLs which are cheap but before I go for them, I figure maybe someone knows about Powell soft formulas and maybe there’s like a Powell “equivalent” that improves on the mini logo stuff? Or maybe some long board brand wheels or something? I don’t know, I’ve been obsessing over hard wheels for a while and meanwhile I’m like super gluing cuts and chunks back together on these soft wheels to keep them going. Time for something new.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4187 on: September 23, 2021, 01:35:52 PM »

I skated 60mm spitfire classics and 58mm spitfire og classics with my Ace Af1 55 no problem really, using slightly looser than factory tightness

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4188 on: September 23, 2021, 01:39:09 PM »
Anyone have recommendations for fast cruiser wheels? The best I’ve ridden were the older Mini Logo AWOL 59mm 78a. They’re a bit slimmer and lighter than the 60mm Super Juices. I don’t know if it’s due to that or just a better formula but they just accelerate quicker and roll longer.

I don’t care a ton about how well they slide or pop, I just want a soft wheel that’s fast and smooth and somewhere around 60mm. I haven’t tried the newer 80a Mini Logo AWOLs which are cheap but before I go for them, I figure maybe someone knows about Powell soft formulas and maybe there’s like a Powell “equivalent” that improves on the mini logo stuff? Or maybe some long board brand wheels or something? I don’t know, I’ve been obsessing over hard wheels for a while and meanwhile I’m like super gluing cuts and chunks back together on these soft wheels to keep them going. Time for something new.

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/rough-riders

I think these are what you're looking for, I haven't tried them personally but I have heard from Neil Blender's social media and from other old heads whose opinions are worth trusting about skate gear that these are the shit. They come in 56mm and 59mm.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4189 on: September 23, 2021, 02:02:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think these are what you're looking for, I haven't tried them personally but I have heard from Neil Blender's social media and from other old heads whose opinions are worth trusting about skate gear that these are the shit. They come in 56mm and 59mm.

I prefer Bones rough riders over super juices. They are faster and roll longer.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4190 on: September 23, 2021, 02:08:52 PM »
I think I read somewhere on here that wheels actually slightly harden over time not soften... ?

Urethane hardens over time, so wheels and bushings, if not used. I can attest to that with bones bushings, I've a set of older mediums that are rock fucking hard right now, no give at all (they're also super yellow).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4191 on: September 23, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »

Ricta Clouds man.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4192 on: September 23, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »
Which hardness on the clouds? Do any of them slide?
I'm skating 52 mm 99a slim speed rings and they're great.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4193 on: September 23, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »
I second Ricta clouds. Probably the best soft wheel out there.

I recently picked up some cheap softies that were made by Picture (Aussie brand). 100% the worst wheels I’ve had. I’m 110kgs and had brand new super Reds and I honestly felt like I was slowing down going downhill! Never again. Massive chunks coming off them. Full on Kmart wheels.

But then again, buy cheap, don’t expect much

GrapeApeAffe

« Reply #4194 on: September 23, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Had a few like that over the years and it shouldn't affect performance at all, when it is not on the riding surface.

If anything is through the outer area or the riding surface you are going to feel it more on smooth concrete or wooden / metal ramps, but on rough concrete or bitumen surface, even outer surface blemishes and bubbles don't affect the ride at all.

In the same way, some solidly flatspotted wheels I have still work really well on rough surfaces, but drive me crazy on smooth concrete parks or ramps.

Thanks that’s good to hear.

As far as the riding surface. It looks perfectly fine.   Even the front side where the main graphic is doesn’t have any problems.   

Its just these few “chips” on the back side.   I assume this is the top part of the mold when they pour them.?
My guess was since these were a swirl of different colors, perhaps that affected this section, but who knows...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4195 on: September 23, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »

I recently picked up some cheap softies that were made by Picture (Aussie brand). 100% the worst wheels I’ve had. I’m 110kgs and had brand new super Reds and I honestly felt like I was slowing down going downhill! Never again. Massive chunks coming off them. Full on Kmart wheels.

But then again, buy cheap, don’t expect much

Same re those wheels.  A kid had them on his setup and was wondering why his board was so slow, put on some other wheels with bearings already in them and he was amazed at the difference.  Thought it was his bearings, but soon realised it was the wheels.

Not sure how they could have gotten it so wrong, but some companies will pick up whatever leftover stock there is from generic suppliers and rebrand it, which seems like what happened here.  There is minimal rebound on them and even for small lighter beginner kids, those wheels were only going to be good for the first session or two before feeling super sluggish.

Other Aussie brands like 4 from WA are amazing quality.

https://the4skateboardcompany.com/products/softies-wheels

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4196 on: September 23, 2021, 10:27:49 PM »
Yep for sure.

I’ve had 2 sets of slim Arrow 85a wheels and they are awesome. Even did some massive power slides on them going down a very steep, very smooth hill. I thought they were gonna be flat spotted or something because I was going way too fast to put my foot down and sliding was my only option. Ended up doing multiple loooong slides.. They were fine and are still good to this day. Definitely buy them again.

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4197 on: September 26, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4198 on: September 26, 2021, 11:32:47 AM »
Yeah,all his wheels are out of stock right now. I expect we'll see another set from him next season though. If you're cool with orange wheels though, I did some sleuthing and I believe they're just the 60mm, 97a slimeballs in white.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/60mm-goooberz-vomits-orange-97a-slime-balls-skateboard-wheels

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #4199 on: September 26, 2021, 05:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One more vote for roughriders. Very fast and smooth. I have a set on my polarizer-style set up snd they are dreamy.

The only negative point is that they are fragile to impact. No slappies or other tricks, or you’ll be gluing the chunks you took out back on.

But for strictly cruising I’ve ridden nothing better
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea