Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797923 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6960 on: October 17, 2023, 03:37:55 AM »
No problem. I work in the chemical industry and I know that once you have a formula that works it is most effective to use that formula to build new formulas.

Many people here say NFG>F4 so I thought maybe NFG would allow Loophole to build off that formula.
Loophole does not manufacture wheels. They just put their branding on and sell them. No building off of any formula

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6961 on: October 17, 2023, 04:44:46 AM »
Just from reading SLAP comments:

-NFG employees left Spitfire to start their own company.
-NFG ran into money troubles asked for investors.
-Continued to produce wheels for another year.

Loophole brand is based on an alternative to F4. NFG used the F4 formula and tweaked the formula to Loophole’s liking. I don’t believe Loophole just puts their name on a wheel based on what I read here. It sounded like they were closely involved with product testing with NFG.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6962 on: October 17, 2023, 09:08:35 AM »
powell should take a shot at the double duro wheel
the oj version seems like an overpriced dud
a dragon 93a inner w/ bones x99a outer would slap

outside of the marketing, i couldnt imagine that sucking
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #6963 on: October 17, 2023, 09:10:34 AM »
I’ve been skating for less than two years so please forgive my ignorance. Do wheels feel different when it gets cold out?

The pair of OJ Hardlines I have don’t feel the same. I’m not sure if it’s the 40 degree weather or the fact that I let them sit on a shelf for two months after swapping them out. They just feel harder, and not in a good way. Was like skating on ice lol

Spitfire is sending me some 97a RFs to make up for the defective ones I had. Can’t wait cause these ain’t it 😖

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6964 on: October 17, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »
I’ve been skating for less than two years so please forgive my ignorance. Do wheels feel different when it gets cold out?

The pair of OJ Hardlines I have don’t feel the same. I’m not sure if it’s the 40 degree weather or the fact that I let them sit on a shelf for two months after swapping them out. They just feel harder, and not in a good way. Was like skating on ice lol

Spitfire is sending me some 97a RFs to make up for the defective ones I had. Can’t wait cause these ain’t it 😖

Two months on a shelf is nothing. Stuff sits in shops longer than that. But yeah, the cold weather generally does freeze up the urethane a bit. I think 97 Radial Fulls will be much better for the winter than OJs.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6965 on: October 17, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »
OJs come off the shelf sucking. If you want a wheel that is most similar to clay wheels go with OJ standard thane 99a.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6966 on: October 17, 2023, 10:12:33 AM »
Thanks guys. I used to like ‘em, but I guess skating the Spitfires changed my mind. Hopefully my new wheels come soon. Don’t have any tracking on them.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #6967 on: October 17, 2023, 01:16:18 PM »
I've written before that I like the hardlines, mostly for the fairly new local park that is slick as hell, but they 100% feel like ice, and being cold and hard only amplifies that.

Seconding that an F4 97a would help get more feel, and curb some of the icy-ness
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6968 on: October 17, 2023, 03:49:44 PM »
I’m not sure if it’s the 40 degree weather

I swap up wheels from late fall to early spring when it's cold.   I skate a lot of concrete transition and use SPF 84B in the summer, but they become super slippery at my local park under 45 or so.  I end up using F4 101 if it's 40 degrees and up, and this year i'll be using X97 when it's below 40.  As soon as it gets 50+ degrees regularly at the time of day i skate, I'll be back on SPF.

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6969 on: October 18, 2023, 12:06:30 PM »
97a radial fulls feel twice as fast than my lock in fulls with a wider contact patch out the gate.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6970 on: October 18, 2023, 01:20:48 PM »
97a radial fulls feel twice as fast than my lock in fulls with a wider contact patch out the gate.
Can you still tre flip though?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6971 on: October 19, 2023, 02:56:43 AM »
I mentioned in the setup thread I had Keyframes (thought they were mini juices) - anyways, I may look to replace them eventually or just try something different. Anyone have good cruiser wheel recommendations??

I've seen X97 Dragons enjoyed by a few, but I'm open to any suggestions. Preferably looking to keep the wheel size 58 or smaller
Super Champion Fun Zone

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6972 on: October 19, 2023, 08:05:21 AM »
I mentioned in the setup thread I had Keyframes (thought they were mini juices) - anyways, I may look to replace them eventually or just try something different. Anyone have good cruiser wheel recommendations??

I've seen X97 Dragons enjoyed by a few, but I'm open to any suggestions. Preferably looking to keep the wheel size 58 or smaller

If you're strictly cruising get bones rough riders. I've had 2 different sets last me 3+ years without any issues while I've had oj super juices chunk out in less than 3 months. If you want something softer but still able to slide/slappy/ollie etc.. get 56 v6 Dragons the 93a ones. Wider street style wheel shape without being too big and bulky.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6973 on: October 19, 2023, 09:07:13 AM »

I know you want 58mm or smaller but the 60mm rat bones shape in the dragon formula is fucking amazing. You will softly roll over everything rough and slide with ease whenever you need to. The wider riding surface vs 58mm or lower and the shape just makes them outperform the other ones. Because I also have the 58mm V6 shape and although they're still great, they still don't have the extra forgiveness the 60mm ones have.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #6974 on: October 19, 2023, 10:23:15 AM »
Aight gods, seeing how the topic is being somewhat discussed I figured I might as well ask.

I film a bunch and went from Keyframes to Dragons (i have the 56mm wide ones)because sometimes Im skating around hills and shit on my filmer/cruiser board and I need to be able to slide but still mantain that cruiser wheel feeling. Although the Dragons where a game.changer for me they are still a bit sticky sometimes. Is there a wheel that is slightly harder but still has that cruiser wheel feel??? I was thinking of trying out the F4 97s but dont know if they would be too hard? Im not really familiar with the Bones roster and Im seeing a lot of their options being mentioned.

So if anyone has any recommendations itd be greatly appreciated.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #6975 on: October 19, 2023, 10:46:23 AM »
Aight gods, seeing how the topic is being somewhat discussed I figured I might as well ask.

I film a bunch and went from Keyframes to Dragons (i have the 56mm wide ones)because sometimes Im skating around hills and shit on my filmer/cruiser board and I need to be able to slide but still mantain that cruiser wheel feeling. Although the Dragons where a game.changer for me they are still a bit sticky sometimes. Is there a wheel that is slightly harder but still has that cruiser wheel feel??? I was thinking of trying out the F4 97s but dont know if they would be too hard? Im not really familiar with the Bones roster and Im seeing a lot of their options being mentioned.

I really love the feel of the F4 97a on street/crusty spots. They are on the harder side still, and I imagine they would be pretty loud to film on

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6976 on: October 19, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really love the feel of the F4 97a on street/crusty spots. They are on the harder side still, and I imagine they would be pretty loud to film on
To be honest, sound is not really my main concern. I sometimes film with my normal board when I dont have ny cruiser and its usually not a problem. Im more concerned with the overall facility to go over shit and navigate rough terrain

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6977 on: October 19, 2023, 12:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
To be honest, sound is not really my main concern. I sometimes film with my normal board when I dont have ny cruiser and its usually not a problem. Im more concerned with the overall facility to go over shit and navigate rough terrain

I've become a strict 97A F4 guy over the past 6 months or so. In my experience the 97A F4s absorbe vibrations worse than Dragons, but that also makes them feel and perform more like "normal" wheels. If you're into trying them, I'd suggest you get the largest wheels with the biggest riding surface you can get. There's a 60mm radial full version out, that would probably be the best in terms of having a nice and stable ride. If those are too preposterous, the radial fulls also come in 58 or 56mm. I think conical fulls go uo to 58mm if you want a slightly slimmer wheel.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #6978 on: October 19, 2023, 01:21:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree with scab. 56mm+ Radial Fulls are pretty solid all-rounder on rough stuff for being a general purpose wheel. Nice riding surface, I personally love fat wheels, and they still break into slides pretty well (for being a bit softer). I run em on a hybrid cruiser/functional set-up, and they do everything in the street I need em to, minus being pretty bulky.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #6979 on: October 19, 2023, 04:39:17 PM »

If you want a less sticky dragon, the obvious choice is Bones x97 or x99. Same urethane, same manufacturer, just harder.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6980 on: October 19, 2023, 08:11:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Spit needs a 60mm wheel besides the classic
[close]

I'm guessing you want a 99A, but there's a 97A 60mm radial full out there: https://www.spitfirewheels.com/tfunk-savie/

Those bad boys have a 29mm contact patch.

i wanna. i just am a little scared after my Dragon slam today. I wish more than anything for a 60 or 58 og classic. Everyone i know whos tried that cant go back too. But were being forced

That ButterFly shape has always been the best shape. That and conical. You dont need 99a at that size too. 101 is better
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6981 on: October 19, 2023, 09:01:34 PM »
are those funks orange or red? i might gotta now.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6982 on: October 20, 2023, 12:43:26 AM »
are those funks orange or red? i might gotta now.

They're red.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6983 on: October 20, 2023, 07:38:39 AM »

Got my replacement wheels. Let’s hope these also don’t lock up. I love this shape. Hopefully it being slightly softer helps too in this cold weather. I only skate smooth tennis courts, but there’s lots of leafs and those spinner things on them lately since it’s fall.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6984 on: October 20, 2023, 08:50:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I agree with scab. 56mm+ Radial Fulls are pretty solid all-rounder on rough stuff for being a general purpose wheel. Nice riding surface, I personally love fat wheels, and they still break into slides pretty well (for being a bit softer). I run em on a hybrid cruiser/functional set-up, and they do everything in the street I need em to, minus being pretty bulky.

Thanks a lot guys, yeah I'm sure that bit harder wheel will absorb vibrations less which is something I'm willing to sacrifice for a bit better of a slide.

Now the question here is which one do the gods prefer Bones x97 or Formula 4 97s???

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6985 on: October 20, 2023, 09:06:12 AM »

Thanks a lot guys, yeah I'm sure that bit harder wheel will absorb vibrations less which is something I'm willing to sacrifice for a bit better of a slide.

Now the question here is which one do the gods prefer Bones x97 or Formula 4 97s???

I think the general consensus around Slap is that the Bones X97 are worth their hype and outperform the F4 97.

Haven't tried the latter myself, but I really, really like the X97. Gives me all I want from a wheel for rougher terrain and/or dusty and slippery indoor parks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6986 on: October 20, 2023, 09:09:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

X97 are smoother while still sliding much better. Way way better wheels. And before people get mad, yeah spitfire is better in 99a. Just not in 97a. That said, I haven't tried the X99 yet...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6987 on: October 20, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »
I’m so confused. My new RFs started doing the same thing, then they got lose again. It’s like I had to ride them in different directions, like I ride switch using my nose as the tail.

I want to try for another pair, but I don’t have time to keep sending them back. May just swear off this shape for good 😫

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #6988 on: October 20, 2023, 10:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

While I haven't tried the X97 I can say of all of those mid duro wheels that slide the F4s were my least favorite by far.  I think Dragons, Nomads and the NFG 95A (R.I.P.) were all far superior wheels to the F4s.  For the record up until recently when I switched to X99s, F4 99a were my wheel of choice so its not an anti Spitfire thing, I just think the 97s stink.

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6989 on: October 20, 2023, 10:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Can you still tre flip though?
I ride transition so i cant say about that. if you get full conical 97as I'm sure you can tre flip because they are not as wide. and once you wear them down a few mm it'll ride like a radial. but I don't really think it matters because I've seen my friend with 58 og classics tre no problem. if you are still skeptical the conical fulls are a great choice.