Author Topic: Spontaneity  (Read 1570 times)

CrappyChan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Spontaneity
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:08:12 AM »
I just rewatched the gonz' memory screen and there were a few old clips that he almost invented popping a spontaneous kickflip or whathave you after landijg your "main" trick. Is this just a natural reaponse everyone has or  is this another innovation provided by mark?
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
Re: Spontaneity
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 12:34:46 AM »
Skateboarding is one big game that's based on body movement in reaction to inconsistent outside stimuli, thus improvisation and spontaneity are essentially inherent to the practice, I wouldn't say anybody ever invented it per se or that it ever was an innovation as it's part of the picture in the first place.

Some people do the improvised trick thing, some don't, it's kind of a timeless thing that goes through ups and downs in popularity depending on who does it, how, where and when (and about that, who cares). Just like individual style in skating altogether, I'd say whether one plays with their skateboard like that or not heavily depends on their environment growing up.

If one actually makes the conscious effort to try and pop another trick right after they've landed, is spontaneity really the right word to use?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:06:33 AM »
Good topic.

Mark did not invent spontaneity, he merely exemplifies it.

One of the things that attracted me to skating in the mid-80s was its anti-rule, do your own thing stance. Spontaneity was a given.

Except for ollieing, there was not a lot of tedious repetition in learning basic tricks, it either came or it didn’t. It was natural for you to do or it wasn’t.

The tricks of the time show this: footplants, no-complies, lots of flourishes. It was truly an expression, not a planned and ‘practiced’ sport.

Lance even said something to the effect that he didn’t like having a trick ‘down’, as it loses it newness.

Watch Lucero skate a mini ramp, that’s what I’m talking about.

I held on to that feeling for years, and was ridiculed by my friends for my horrible style and lack of technicality. I resisted the slog of repetition after finding out how much time it takes to learn something like a kickflip. But I had shitloads of fun.

Slowly tho, those criticisms got to me, and as I got older and realized I didn’t have much time to improve, I started taking stuff more ‘seriously’ and consequently, lost a lot of the shininess and fun.

Now I’m rewatching Lucero and trying to find a balance again.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:45:54 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 04:56:39 AM »
Being spontaneous is definitely underrated.  Not knowing what someone is going to do next is sick and as valuable as trick selection.  Rowan is good at this.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »

Mark did not invent spontaneity, he merely exemplifies it.

Well put
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »
TNT in his prime and even now I'm sure.

l_bwoy

• Rep: -6
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 09:14:07 AM »
I do this pretty often and I think it’s actually a bad habit. Sometimes it’s cool, but sometimes it not. I’m sure everyone has seen enough of my kickflips and fs shuv ems. It depends on the spot and the time of day though. If I get my trick and there is any sort of flat gap in the remote vicinity of the roll away (shadows, cracks in the sidewalk, manhole covers, etc.) it’s almost involuntary for me to bust a kickflip or some other basic trick over it.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »
Great spontaneity requires lots of careful planning.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2241
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
Great spontaneity requires lots of careful planning.

!!!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 03:05:30 AM »
Yah...it was and or is Spunky Spontaneity.
Pat Duffy is the 1st guy I saw do a trick after hitting a big Rail in Questionable or maybe it was virtual reality. Geee-Offf RowLey Took it and ran.
Do You even Street Style ???

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 03:25:57 AM »
Yah...it was and or is Spunky Spontaneity.
Pat Duffy is the 1st guy I saw do a trick after hitting a big Rail in Questionable or maybe it was virtual reality. Geee-Offf RowLey Took it and ran.

YES! rowley is the king of this. that nollie 3 shuv after the giant ollie into the ditch will be forever etched in my brain

'Not fuhkin doin that again, thast was SKETCHY'

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
I ddo agree, skaters that keep me guessing like Max Palmer and Bobby Puleo definitely get my motor running more than guys like Neen or Theotis
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"