Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24492 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1554
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2021, 03:36:10 AM »
Punkest thing in the past 10 years has been a country duo from Nashville called Birdcloud.

https://youtu.be/ptSowP3Rm8k

This was the most punk shit I’ve seen in my entire life holy shit this amazing.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's not even an opinion so much as it is a fact, but it's fun to say to certain people to get them all hot and bothered.

Bob Dylan is not a poet. He is a songwriter. He has written poetry, but his songs are not poetry. His songs are songs and his poems are poems. Doesn't change what you can take from them. Same could be said for Leonard Cohen. [I love them both very much.]

Some others I've noticed people don't like to talk to me about;

David Bowie is not bad [at all, i'm well aware that he's great and all - i enjoy most of his songs when i hear them] but he's also a little bit boring and I'm often surprised/confused at how totally fucking crazy off the wall amazing and weird everyone thinks he is. He's ok...

I feel similarly about The Pixies, except that i don't enjoy their music even a little bit when i hear it.

Sonic Youth are more interesting than the pixies but still overall not as exciting as a lot of people like to make out. Not bad, not that great.

Oh, and Radiohead are just total shit. I have occasionally appreciated something they've approached theoretically and been like, oh that's interesting, but as far as being a band you would listen to or pay a fuck load of money to watch perform; that doesn't sit very well with me at all.
[close]

to call a song a poem is to take away from what it means to write a song, for sure. His lyrics do however, easily translate into a sort of poetry, especially for those who don't make poems.

As for Bowie and the Pixies, I think a lot of their stuff is/was great, but most of all, it gained importance because it was innovative upon entering the mainstream. No close to mainstream artist was doing what Bowie was doing when he was doing it in the earlier days. It's not just the music, it's performance art. Similar case with Sonic Youth and the Pixies, nobody who had their level of influence was doing what they were doing. They were all incredibly influential and in some ways, ground breaking.
[close]
a good poem is WAY harder to write than good lyrics. i don’t think dylan really even has great lyrics. he just had long songs, and someone needed to fill twelve inches of record because they had the patent, so they put dylan on. he kinda got the gig because he didn’t have tracks, he’s just had albums worth of ramblings that could be marketed
[close]

roses are red
violets are blue
Im reading Slap
while doing a poo

It's not even an opinion so much as it is a fact, but it's fun to say to certain people to get them all hot and bothered.

WobbleHeadBob Dylan is a poet.

animalflesh

« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2021, 10:16:30 AM »
I love nu metal

WobbleHeadBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bob Dylan is not a poet. He is a songwriter. He has written poetry, but his songs are not poetry. His songs are songs and his poems are poems. Doesn't change what you can take from them. Same could be said for Leonard Cohen. [I love them both very much.]

Some others I've noticed people don't like to talk to me about;

David Bowie is not bad [at all, i'm well aware that he's great and all - i enjoy most of his songs when i hear them] but he's also a little bit boring and I'm often surprised/confused at how totally fucking crazy off the wall amazing and weird everyone thinks he is. He's ok...

I feel similarly about The Pixies, except that i don't enjoy their music even a little bit when i hear it.

Sonic Youth are more interesting than the pixies but still overall not as exciting as a lot of people like to make out. Not bad, not that great.

Oh, and Radiohead are just total shit. I have occasionally appreciated something they've approached theoretically and been like, oh that's interesting, but as far as being a band you would listen to or pay a fuck load of money to watch perform; that doesn't sit very well with me at all.
[close]

to call a song a poem is to take away from what it means to write a song, for sure. His lyrics do however, easily translate into a sort of poetry, especially for those who don't make poems.

As for Bowie and the Pixies, I think a lot of their stuff is/was great, but most of all, it gained importance because it was innovative upon entering the mainstream. No close to mainstream artist was doing what Bowie was doing when he was doing it in the earlier days. It's not just the music, it's performance art. Similar case with Sonic Youth and the Pixies, nobody who had their level of influence was doing what they were doing. They were all incredibly influential and in some ways, ground breaking.
[close]
a good poem is WAY harder to write than good lyrics. i don’t think dylan really even has great lyrics. he just had long songs, and someone needed to fill twelve inches of record because they had the patent, so they put dylan on. he kinda got the gig because he didn’t have tracks, he’s just had albums worth of ramblings that could be marketed
[close]

roses are red
violets are blue
Im reading Slap
while doing a poo
[close]

WobbleHeadBob Dylan is a poet.

and theres a new sig. thanks Chief

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
I love nu metal
What's your favorite band from that genre?  Mine I would say is Rage against the machine and Korn.

I dabbled with other kooky bands such as Lump Biscuit Tool and various other clones of those band's but ahhhh it didn't really suit me though.

Dueces Bitch's

animalflesh

« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]
What's your favorite band from that genre?  Mine I would say is Rage against the machine and Korn.

I dabbled with other kooky bands such as Lump Biscuit Tool and various other clones of those band's but ahhhh it didn't really suit me though.

Probably korn I even went to see them a bunch of times including two summers ago and it was awesome

Is RATM nu metal? I like them too definitely

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2021, 06:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]

[close]

RATM and tool aren't new metal...

Probably korn I even went to see them a bunch of times including two summers ago and it was awesome

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2021, 06:21:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]

[close]

I saw Korn on that last tour too (with AIC, another favorite) and they were great. I've seen them like 4 times in the past several years. I like Nu Metal.Most people who say it sucks are parroting or feel embarrassed because they were bullied for being into it or something. Those first two Korn albums were true works of art and there was nothing that could compare to them at the time.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »
the Darkness were a great band and this song fucking rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHBZPOGU2g

Ha! Love the whole album. I was dating a girl at the time and we always joked about how if we got married, our first dance would be to “I believe in a thing called love”. Fun fact (for me): someone asked me to drive them to a 10 stair rail (30 min away) and he would give me this cd as compensation.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »
Expand Quote
the Darkness were a great band and this song fucking rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHBZPOGU2g
[close]

Ha! Love the whole album. I was dating a girl at the time and we always joked about how if we got married, our first dance would be to “I believe in a thing called love”. Fun fact (for me): someone asked me to drive them to a 10 stair rail (30 min away) and he would give me this cd as compensation.

What a deal!

the Darkness for a first dance woulda been rad haha

animalflesh

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]

[close]

[close]

I saw Korn on that last tour too (with AIC, another favorite) and they were great. I've seen them like 4 times in the past several years. I like Nu Metal.Most people who say it sucks are parroting or feel embarrassed because they were bullied for being into it or something. Those first two Korn albums were true works of art and there was nothing that could compare to them at the time.

Did you see them in Camden? That tour was awesome

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]

[close]

I mean what else would you categorize them as? Maybe the progenitor to what Korn was trying to become?! IDK but thats what I have them in my music folder....

For the most part I've been a hater and for good reason some of that genre was errgghhh mehhh

I believe that with any genre of music there's an oversaturation and for the most part Korn and other bands that were similar they either fell off or kept at it, which is why I like Korn, they've taken the piss from critics and fans and probably heard their complaints which why their sound has gradually gotten better. Thats just me though.
Dueces Bitch's

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes. Pre-COVID pretty much everything at BB&T ended up on Groupon so my wife and I have been to so many shoes there. I think every time I've seen Korn over the last few years has been there.

animalflesh

« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2021, 02:59:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love nu metal
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes. Pre-COVID pretty much everything at BB&T ended up on Groupon so my wife and I have been to so many shoes there. I think every time I've seen Korn over the last few years has been there.

Dude I was there! Haha

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2021, 11:47:17 PM »
RATM is more nu metal than Korn. I don’t know what the official definition of nu metal is, I was asking about that earlier in the thread, but to me there’s usually a rap element. Now ask yourself which of the two is a rapper, Zach de la Rocha or Jon Davis? Hint, paradoxically it’s not the one dressing up like Run DMC...
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2021, 12:07:23 AM »
But if we say that numetal is alternative metal from around the turn of millenium, I think that would have to include bands like Tool and Orgy.  Hell, maybe even Rammstein, they were on the Family Values tour in ’98 after all.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2021, 12:11:06 AM »
I never thought of RATM as Nu Metal. Actually when their first album came out the style was called crossover (at least in Europe). The term Nu Metal was first applied to Limp Bizkit afaik.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2021, 07:16:35 AM »
admittedly, i just skimmed through this conversation on "Nu Metal," because when i see bands like TOOL, "Rage" (bro), and Korn being mentioned, i throw up in my mouth a little and know that this is not a conversation for me.

but, i do remember digging Helmet's first couple of albums--especially Meantime--and later on down the line, always assumed bands like the above listened to too much Helmet at some points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwhdINdMs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP657058PbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezpJCYBIDCM

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2021, 08:16:58 AM »
admittedly, i just skimmed through this conversation on "Nu Metal," because when i see bands like TOOL, "Rage" (bro), and Korn being mentioned, i throw up in my mouth a little and know that this is not a conversation for me.

but, i do remember digging Helmet's first couple of albums--especially Meantime--and later on down the line, always assumed bands like the above listened to too much Helmet at some points

Holy shit dude!!!!

Way to come in hot with a rad counterpoint to this discussion. I loved and still appreciate Helmet for so many reasons including nostalgic purposes.

These guy's definitely check alot of boxes for numetal before numetal was a thing.

Now upon greater reflection RATM reminds me of crossover rap metal?
Dueces Bitch's

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »

Good call... I felt like when Meantime came out and ‘Unsung’ was on MTV, people started cutting their hair and rocking chain wallets and cargo shorts.  I dig Helmet, btw... but that’s a good starting point.

A big thing in the creation Nu-Metal was the Judgement Night soundtrack... which was the first time I remember hip hop and metal/rock combining.  There were a few collabs prior (Anthrax and Public Enemy), but that seemed to kick off a genre.

I think you could throw Pantera in there too... they started that whole ‘groove metal’ thing.  Maybe when White Zombie went metal, too.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2021, 08:46:02 AM »

A big thing in the creation Nu-Metal was the Judgement Night soundtrack... which was the first time I remember hip hop and metal/rock combining. 

If Judgment Night is mentioned, I would like to throw in this Onyx/Biohazard collab:

https://youtu.be/DZdW32LgBDc

Rock remixes of rap tracks were quite a thing around that time. E.g. below rock mix of House of Pain Shamrocks and Shenanigans.

https://youtu.be/FOGQDqY-_5w

Obviously Cypress Hill then really jumped on that bandwagon starting from the IV album.

I realise this stuff did not age quite well (as opposed to the rest of the early back catalogue of Onyx, House of Pain and Cypress Hill that aged like fine wine).
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1554
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »
Onyx fucking rules. I give Kareem 1000% credit for my love of onyx.

My theory is the reason they didn’t fucking blow up is because they released Bacdafucup a few months too late. If they released it in December of 1992 it could have been one of the best records of the year. But, by releasing it in March of 93 they couldn’t compete with what came later that year, midnight marauders and enter the 36 chambers.

Tl/dr onyx got over shadowed by wu tang and a tribe called quest.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2021, 09:08:36 AM »
i love this thread...hey, cheers bea! and Easy Slider, "if Judgment Night is mentioned, I would [also] like to throw in"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmdg3epcic

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1338
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAyvEeoj7To
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2p7jOXCj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dhyx-heAhY

Eastcide was from my hometown and right on the cusp of blowing up in the rap-rock/nu-metal wave but they were just hoodlums and working dudes making hard music. There was some pretty cool shit going on in Massachusetts in the late 90s-early 00s.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

animalflesh

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2021, 02:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good call... I felt like when Meantime came out and ‘Unsung’ was on MTV, people started cutting their hair and rocking chain wallets and cargo shorts.  I dig Helmet, btw... but that’s a good starting point.

A big thing in the creation Nu-Metal was the Judgement Night soundtrack... which was the first time I remember hip hop and metal/rock combining.  There were a few collabs prior (Anthrax and Public Enemy), but that seemed to kick off a genre.

I think you could throw Pantera in there too... they started that whole ‘groove metal’ thing.  Maybe when White Zombie went metal, too.

For fans of helmet

https://youtu.be/HtQNSslwHJs

Members of Torche, Kylesa...

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But on the same note Helmet reminds me of post hardcore like Unsane, Unwound, and Born Against.
https://youtu.be/2dy7Cg36qfY
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:05:14 PM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
But on the same note Helmet reminds me of post hardcore like Unsane, Unwound, and Born Against.

That’s definitely the scene they came out of... they were on Amphetamine Reptile which was the king label for that post-rock/noise/grunge sound.  Definitely their golden child and highest selling band. 

I’m sure there were others, but they were the first group I remember that played metal but didn’t look metal... they had crew cuts and looked like skaters.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2021, 06:17:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

That’s definitely the scene they came out of... they were on Amphetamine Reptile which was the king label for that post-rock/noise/grunge sound.  Definitely their golden child and highest selling band. 

I’m sure there were others, but they were the first group I remember that played metal but didn’t look metal... they had crew cuts and looked like skaters.
For sure I use to get down while listening to this jam. It really shows our age when looking back at these types of bands.
Dueces Bitch's

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
  • tiger style
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2021, 06:42:33 PM »
down for helmet, glad to see them brought up

rage is definitely not nu metal and i don't get hate on them. they were damn near retired when nu metal hit. always thoght they were a unique band, still revisit them often. i agree with judgement night kicking off the nu metal genre and really i think korn was the first big band in that genre.

also don't get the hate on tool. they are still releasing great albums. saw them last year. that said i've often thought that tool is probably my generations rush. that band the middle aged white guys get hyped on that no one who wasn't there when they came out likes.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »
down for helmet, glad to see them brought up

rage is definitely not nu metal and i don't get hate on them. they were damn near retired when nu metal hit. always thoght they were a unique band, still revisit them often. i agree with judgement night kicking off the nu metal genre and really i think korn was the first big band in that genre.

also don't get the hate on tool. they are still releasing great albums. saw them last year. that said i've often thought that tool is probably my generations rush. that band the middle aged white guys get hyped on that no one who wasn't there when they came out likes.
I've got a theory about Tool that might be an unpopular opinion just hear me out, So if Pink Floyd was the progenitor of psychodelic music? and they had decent stuff Neurosis is the crusty version of Pink Floyd then to you sir Tool is the Walmart version of Neurosis/Pink Floyd and Baroness is the punker version of Tool. 

. Many band's afterwards have emulated that artsy style of dissidents and trippy music mixed with hard rock/metal and I'm glad for it
Dueces Bitch's