Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796409 times)

tyshoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2550 on: February 06, 2020, 02:28:01 PM »
what is with these plastic things you put over your wheels for cruising? I think I've seen them on Kenny Anderson's insta. Those things would be nice.

In the era I skated, 95-99 all seemed to work fine regarding sliding and reverts and 95 was the most common. I tried the 92 Clouds and they feel much softer than 92. Very grippy but super smooth. Good for transition but not tech. I ended up just grabbing the new mini slimeballs and they come in 97a and I prefer them to my 50mm ricta 101 wheels I was using. The rictas are not forgiving of rough terrain at all to the point where youre better off not skating if youre on a rough street. To me the mini slimeballs are kinda perfect.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2551 on: February 06, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
Just got a set of these NFGMFG square shapes yesterday and first session in I really like them. They feel like 99a F4’s so far that slide more freely right off the bat, no break in time needed. The shape seems similar to the lock-ins shape Spitfire uses.

I don’t know much about them (or wheel manufacturers in general) but I think Loophole wheels uses their urethane, but a harder formula or they both use the same manufacturer. I also think I remember reading their urethane is made by the guy who created the F4 formula, which seems feasible based on how these wheels feel, but I don’t know for sure.

I’ll update when I get some more time in on these, but so far they are pretty awesome

https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/square-shape-nfg-cream-color-original

Edit: I’m full of shit. They feel pretty much the same as the Loophole wheels I got, which feel very similar to F4 101’s after comparing them all back to back. They are both awesome wheels, just a bit harder than I thought which it turns out that I like.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:51:54 PM by Sundaynuggets »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2552 on: February 06, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »
Just got a set of these NFGMFG square shapes yesterday and first session in I really like them. They feel like 99a F4’s so far that slide more freely right off the bat, no break in time needed. The shape seems similar to the lock-ins shape Spitfire uses.

I don’t know much about them (or wheel manufacturers in general) but I think Loophole wheels uses their urethane, but a harder formula or they both use the same manufacturer. I also think I remember reading their urethane is made by the guy who created the F4 formula, which seems feasible based on how these wheels feel, but I don’t know for sure.

I’ll update when I get some more time in on these, but so far they are pretty awesome

I reviewed my loopholes a few pages back, wish I got them in my regular size otherwise they felt super solid

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2553 on: February 07, 2020, 05:47:57 AM »
I'm gonna try loopholes next.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2554 on: February 07, 2020, 06:42:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I reviewed my loopholes a few pages back, wish I got them in my regular size otherwise they felt super solid

Nice, I’ll check it out! These felt a little softer than the Loopholes I got, like closer to a 99a duro whereas they Loopholes felt harder than that to me. Hard to say because they use a different duro scale and I don’t know much about that stuff

Edit: feel the same as the Loopholes I have, it turns out that somehow I like harder wheels now
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:53:15 PM by Sundaynuggets »

Diocletian

« Reply #2555 on: February 07, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »
I think ultimately you either need a hard 99/100a street/ park wheel or a legit cruiser 75/87a....

Anything in-between is kind of a no-mans land and kind of OK at somethings but never good at everything... unless you are wanting an 80s replica type set up.

I think it is best to just rotate between a proper cruiser or a legit hard wheel. Trying to find a one duro suits all will end in tears....

Disagree. Slime balls, speedlabs, and my Powell rippers have all been 97a and it’s the first time I’ve been able to skate my slippery indoor without almost dying from the slightest wrong move. I skated 2/3 of said wheels outdoors plenty of times as well and they powerslid perfectly fine with a nice loud screech.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2556 on: February 07, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
Expand Quote
I think ultimately you either need a hard 99/100a street/ park wheel or a legit cruiser 75/87a....

Anything in-between is kind of a no-mans land and kind of OK at somethings but never good at everything... unless you are wanting an 80s replica type set up.

I think it is best to just rotate between a proper cruiser or a legit hard wheel. Trying to find a one duro suits all will end in tears....
[close]

Disagree. Slime balls, speedlabs, and my Powell rippers have all been 97a and it’s the first time I’ve been able to skate my slippery indoor without almost dying from the slightest wrong move. I skated 2/3 of said wheels outdoors plenty of times as well and they powerslid perfectly fine with a nice loud screech.
Have you tried all those 97a's?
What's your take on them?
Slide/bark? Speed? Hardness compared to other 97a's? Loudest, fastest, easiest slide, etc.
Compared to Spitfire Classic or F4 thane? Or Bones STF 99a? For reference..

Which Slime Balls? Mini's or regular biggies?
The cores on the mini's are different so I'm wondering if the manufacturer and formula is the same. I know Creative and Mearthane are linked now..
And recently they started advertising the OG formula but that seems to only be for bigger wheels like the Winkowski's?

Tried Pig's 97a?
Just going by the look of the urethane it could be the same formula as Speedlab. Both look a lil opaque, definitely don't look like the new white mini's.

tyshoes

« Reply #2557 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »
Im using the mini slimeballs. Just as fast as my f4s but smoother to ride on slightly rougher terrain. Far harder than the cloud 92a and slide seems pretty much the same as my f4 99s.

Also Creature makes 97a and element makes 95a
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:31:37 AM by tyshoes »

Diocletian

« Reply #2558 on: February 07, 2020, 12:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Slide/bark? Speed? Hardness compared to other 97a's? Loudest, fastest, easiest slide, etc.

The cores on the mini's are different so I'm wondering if the manufacturer and formula is the same. I know Creative and Mearthane are linked now..
And recently they started advertising the OG formula but that seems to only be for bigger wheels like the Winkowski's?

Tried Pig's 97a?
Just going by the look of the urethane it could be the same formula as Speedlab. Both look a lil opaque, definitely don't look like the new white mini's.

I tried the three sets of wheels I mentioned, each set just being one from each of the companies. Never tried Pigs. The slimeballs were 56mm. They don’t have plastic cores, 97a wheels aren’t soft enough where they need cores. Compared to F4, Spitfire classics, and STFs they’re obviously a little bit softer and require a tad more effort to powerslide but it’s not anything crazy. Just as good of a controllable slide with a nice loud screech as far as I can tell. I think 95a and below is where things will really start to be a noticeable difference in performance.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2559 on: February 07, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
I rocked local company’s 97a’s on slippery indoors for a while when spitfire was in F1’s and shit. They were alright there but I didn’t like them outdoors, they slid just fine but I like my street wheels to be loud and hard as fuck😄
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2560 on: February 07, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Tried Pig's 97a?
[close]

I tried the three sets of wheels I mentioned, each set just being one from each of the companies. Never tried Pigs. The slimeballs were 56mm. They don’t have plastic cores, 97a wheels aren’t soft enough where they need cores. Compared to F4, Spitfire classics, and STFs they’re obviously a little bit softer and require a tad more effort to powerslide but it’s not anything crazy. Just as good of a controllable slide with a nice loud screech as far as I can tell. I think 95a and below is where things will really start to be a noticeable difference in performance.
Which had the best slide outta the 3 you tried?

Maybe I'm using the wrong word? I don't mean cored wheels. I'm talking about the part of the wheel where a spacer would go.
The Mini's have an x or + shape there. And that reminds me of Ricta.
Regular Slime Balls and Team Riders and some Winkowski's are round there.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/53mm-vomit-mini-white-97a-slime-balls-skateboard-wheels

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/61mm-winkowski-killer-whale-winter-original-97a-oj-skateboard-wheels

Round
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/60mm-vomits-neon-purple-97a-slime-balls-skateboard-wheels

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/61mm-winkowski-perro-original-97a-oj-skateboard-wheels

tyshoes

« Reply #2561 on: February 07, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
It looks like the shape of the center becomes round for almost NHS wheels when over 60mm or soft wheels. The reissues look to be the exception

Diocletian

« Reply #2562 on: February 07, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Tried Pig's 97a?
[close]

[close]
Which had the best slide outta the 3 you tried?

Maybe I'm using the wrong word? I don't mean cored wheels. I'm talking about the part of the wheel where a spacer would go.
The Mini's have an x or + shape there. And that reminds me of Ricta.
Regular Slime Balls and Team Riders and some Winkowski's are round there.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/53mm-vomit-mini-white-97a-slime-balls-skateboard-wheels

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/61mm-winkowski-killer-whale-winter-original-97a-oj-skateboard-wheels

Round
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/60mm-vomits-neon-purple-97a-slime-balls-skateboard-wheels

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/61mm-winkowski-perro-original-97a-oj-skateboard-wheels

Idk they’re all equally as good I would say. Good urethane sources. Just about picking the shapes you like.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2563 on: February 10, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »
has anybody used powerflex wheels? i want some rock candys, an spf with a core sounds great to me
🤙

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2564 on: February 10, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
A bit of advice...

I need a wheel for super crusty ground.

The ground at the local public park (not a skatepark) has ground that is basically gravel and another section has these big crusty redbrick banks.

I tried to skate them both on formula 4s; 56mm 99a conical fulls were best but I still need a little extra help pushing through the crust. Also, the spits are a little slippery I think mostly because the ground is so uneven that only 75-80% of the wheel surface is actually in contact with the ground at any given moment.

Keyframes?

I'd like to be able to skate other spots the same day so I don't want to go full-on cruiser wheels.

I'll still keep f4s on most of my boards because I'm not going to only skate those crusty spots all the time.

Pennswood sells "winter tires" that sound exactly like what you're looking for. I just got sent some by someone on here. Pumped to try them out.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2565 on: February 10, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »
Expand Quote
A bit of advice...

I need a wheel for super crusty ground.

The ground at the local public park (not a skatepark) has ground that is basically gravel and another section has these big crusty redbrick banks.

I tried to skate them both on formula 4s; 56mm 99a conical fulls were best but I still need a little extra help pushing through the crust. Also, the spits are a little slippery I think mostly because the ground is so uneven that only 75-80% of the wheel surface is actually in contact with the ground at any given moment.

Keyframes?

I'd like to be able to skate other spots the same day so I don't want to go full-on cruiser wheels.

I'll still keep f4s on most of my boards because I'm not going to only skate those crusty spots all the time.
[close]

Pennswood sells "winter tires" that sound exactly like what you're looking for. I just got sent some by someone on here. Pumped to try them out.

I have a couple sets of the big cruiser wheels Pennswood sells and makes the winter tires out of. They are actually great cruiser wheels and still power slide reasonably well even after being broken in

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2566 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »
Anyone try the Prime Urethane from Pig? I'm interested.

I wish they'd make a A-Cut or Conical in them, I'd defs pull the trigger.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2567 on: February 10, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »
Expand Quote
my smooth streets + skatepark wheel is spitfire F4 classic 99a, and has been for years.
been hunting for a wheel that can handle crustier spots, but also not be too soft for the park.
mini logo 90a are almost too bouncy/grippy, to me they're not too different in feel than spitfire chargers 80a
the keyframe 87a are nice on rough spots, but still a bit too soft for the park.
currently on a set of ricta clouds 92a, these are getting me close to a great multi use wheel....
but.... i just got a set of the new mini logo 95a in the 52mm 'a cut' shape. and they are WHITE.
will report back after putting them thru some various scenarios.
fyi.... all wheels i ride, regardless of duro, are 52mm to 54mm.
[close]

95a.. that sounds tempting. please check back in later and tell us how they perform with noseslides and stuff

took these out a few times over the weekend. these are great on streets around the neighborhood. the roads + sidewalks are not too rough, but def not skatepark smooth. these 95s had enough softness to get around with ease but still slide, pop, flip, and feel and perform close to a 99a.

took them to the park and they were more grippy than 99s of course, but not too bad overall. had to make sure not to over rotate ollies and such on the quarterpipes + hips or i would stick. noseslides not a problem, i'm on indys, so may be a diff story on thunders.

they have treads as new, but think after they break in a bit more will get better slides, and they could make a great ATV wheel. will post pics after some more sessions.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2568 on: February 10, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my smooth streets + skatepark wheel is spitfire F4 classic 99a, and has been for years.
been hunting for a wheel that can handle crustier spots, but also not be too soft for the park.
mini logo 90a are almost too bouncy/grippy, to me they're not too different in feel than spitfire chargers 80a
the keyframe 87a are nice on rough spots, but still a bit too soft for the park.
currently on a set of ricta clouds 92a, these are getting me close to a great multi use wheel....
but.... i just got a set of the new mini logo 95a in the 52mm 'a cut' shape. and they are WHITE.
will report back after putting them thru some various scenarios.
fyi.... all wheels i ride, regardless of duro, are 52mm to 54mm.
[close]

95a.. that sounds tempting. please check back in later and tell us how they perform with noseslides and stuff
[close]

took these out a few times over the weekend. these are great on streets around the neighborhood. the roads + sidewalks are not too rough, but def not skatepark smooth. these 95s had enough softness to get around with ease but still slide, pop, flip, and feel and perform close to a 99a.

took them to the park and they were more grippy than 99s of course, but not too bad overall. had to make sure not to over rotate ollies and such on the quarterpipes + hips or i would stick. noseslides not a problem, i'm on indys, so may be a diff story on thunders.

they have treads as new, but think after they break in a bit more will get better slides, and they could make a great ATV wheel. will post pics after some more sessions.

sounds good, how's the white color? is it fake-plastic-y looking and is that going away with wear? interested in the 87 keyframe 92 cloud 95 mini logo differences

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2569 on: February 10, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »
anyone who has the oj mini or super juice get them to slide?

all wheels slide but there's an issue that happens a lot to me with soft old sticky wheels.
Speed checks sometimes grip and rip you back to regs without subtracting any speed. So you got to do a bs one right afterwards then maybe a third if you're really cooking but that's like 30mph plus.

In emergencies that's no good. I will shred my hands rather than take out an old lady or If it's a car you gotta try and make it over the car with your body

Never lay down and go under ever.

Big soft wheels loose trucks and big hills are addictive. I've torn quiet a few cores out of wheels. I saved them as trophies kinda.

If I wanted a softer wheel I'm going OJ street razors.
My homie got a set last year 97a. Nice wheel.

I think they are 55. I wish big balls were still around or bullet 66s pre war paint.

I don't like the oj ricta cut out in the wheels though. Makes rotating a pain because of if a spacer slips too much.

I'm on 55mm 101a classics.
101a takes care of all my needs.

Also if they still exists "super balls" it was local to Massachusetts I think.
Bright white core wheel. They slide for years then the core rips out around 50 to 48mm
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:36:38 PM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Juanjo789

« Reply #2570 on: February 12, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »
What Bones shape would be the equivalent to a F4 Classic

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2571 on: February 12, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »

V3 has a similar contact patch, but is narrower overall and has a different cut.   V1 has similar sidecut radius, but a smaller contact patch.   

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2572 on: February 12, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »

V1

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2573 on: February 12, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

V3 has a similar contact patch, but is narrower overall and has a different cut.   V1 has similar sidecut radius, but a smaller contact patch.

Spot on!

That said, V1 is closest in contact patch and shape. You could also go with the V5.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #2574 on: February 12, 2020, 11:56:48 AM »
V1 starts off with a slightly wider contact patch and is less aggressively tapered I think.

Diocletian

« Reply #2575 on: February 13, 2020, 06:46:05 AM »
Bones V4 are my favorite offering from them. They’re like the spitfire classic full that I think are still discontinued? I like a nice fat n wide round wheel.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2576 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:53 AM »
u mean these? they are called OG classic, i want a pair for nostalgia’s sake
🤙

Diocletian

« Reply #2577 on: February 13, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
No those are a conical shape. They made a F4 classic full which was a wider version of the classic.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2578 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
No those are a conical shape. They made a F4 classic full which was a wider version of the classic.

Yes but they are called 'OG Classics'

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

Diocletian

« Reply #2579 on: February 13, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »
Ok lol. They’re not the wheel I’m referring to that’s equivalent to the V4 shape.