Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720466 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5610 on: January 09, 2024, 06:46:28 PM »
Alright Uncle Flea you convinced me.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #5611 on: January 09, 2024, 11:59:03 PM »
I used to skate OG Classics, but I've since grown to like rounder edge and narrower wheels. Sharper edge wheels feel somehow clunky and heavy for me. Radial is an awesome all-rounder, but maybe just a tad too wide for my taste once I step out of the pool. Hence, just ordered my first set of Classics in a long while. Feeling them already.

The Bones V5 shape is pretty much perfect. It's like a better-shaped and lighter version of the OG Classic. Goes everywhere. I wish Spitfire made a shape like that.

Plus, give us back the Radial Slim already, jeez.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5612 on: January 10, 2024, 01:27:44 AM »
The Bones V5 shape is pretty much perfect. It's like a better-shaped and lighter version of the OG Classic. Goes everywhere. I wish Spitfire made a shape like that.
Exactly the reason why I got V5 yesterday.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

« Reply #5613 on: January 10, 2024, 02:03:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

X99? You're gonna love 'em.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5614 on: January 10, 2024, 02:34:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

X99? You're gonna love 'em.
Yup, X99. I'll try to be a well behaved human being and won't set them up till my Spits or Dial Tones are done.
Obviously I'll fail so I'll set them up next time I change board
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

« Reply #5615 on: January 10, 2024, 02:52:14 AM »

Yup, X99. I'll try to be a well behaved human being and won't set them up till my Spits or Dial Tones are done.

This is skateboarding.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5616 on: January 10, 2024, 03:18:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is skateboarding.
As an unsponsored adult
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5617 on: January 10, 2024, 09:55:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This is skateboarding.
[close]
As an unsponsored adult

i don’t have the largest ice chest, but i do have waaaaaaay too many experiments setup.

now i want these v5s. i had resolved to try the x97s, feeling like the f4 99s are excellent for what they are, and only wanting something different for really bad roads.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5618 on: January 10, 2024, 03:23:49 PM »
Alright Uncle Flea you convinced me.

I'm telling yah won't be disappointed.

Not that spit can even be disappointing. Except when you're bloard gets run over and the flat spot
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5619 on: January 10, 2024, 05:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This is skateboarding.
[close]
As an unsponsored adult
[close]

i don’t have the largest ice chest, but i do have waaaaaaay too many experiments setup.

now i want these v5s. i had resolved to try the x97s, feeling like the f4 99s are excellent for what they are, and only wanting something different for really bad roads.

V5s really are the best shape. Thin-ish, cut-away light, decent riding surface and locks in so nice; however, Spit conicals are very close.

I'm trying to find some regs old STF 103s, so hard to find them, everything is x99 or spits.

rikki

« Reply #5620 on: January 11, 2024, 12:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This is skateboarding.
[close]
As an unsponsored adult
[close]

[close]

V5s really are the best shape. Thin-ish, cut-away light, decent riding surface and locks in so nice; however, Spit conicals are very close.

I'm trying to find some regs old STF 103s, so hard to find them, everything is x99 or spits.

You're right of course, Spitfire Conicals are quite close to V5 shape-wise, albeit a bit wider, especially when the wheel size gets larger. But still, the V5 hits a weird sweet spot for me, even if it's a question of a few millimeters.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:43:29 AM by rikki »

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5621 on: January 11, 2024, 08:15:12 AM »
All this talk of shapes has made me realise that I've only been skating conical fulls in 54mm since 2015. I'm pretty sure I only went that route because I liked the shape visually.

Right now I'm skating only indoor wooden park and is it worth changing to something else? I have absolutely zero slip issues with the conical fulls, they don't even slide when I want them to.

Ant

« Reply #5622 on: January 11, 2024, 08:17:01 AM »
All this talk of shapes has made me realise that I've only been skating conical fulls in 54mm since 2015. I'm pretty sure I only went that route because I liked the shape visually.

Right now I'm skating only indoor wooden bowls/park and is it worth changing to something else? I have absolutely zero slip issues with the conical fulls, they don't even slide when I want them to.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5623 on: January 11, 2024, 09:59:18 AM »
For those 5 people that like bones v5, Ricta 'Mids' are the same shape albeit wider.

Right now I'm skating only indoor wooden park and is it worth changing to something else? I have absolutely zero slip issues with the conical fulls, they don't even slide when I want them to.

Is there anything wrong with your skating that could be solved with different shaped wheels?

If it works, don't fix it.

Ant

« Reply #5624 on: January 11, 2024, 10:08:10 AM »
For those 5 people that like bones v5, Ricta 'Mids' are the same shape albeit wider.

Expand Quote

[close]

Is there anything wrong with your skating that could be solved with different shaped wheels?

Issues I have are I can't ollie for shit and I don't quite go as fast as I like. Neither really need different wheels to solve ;D thanks for stopping the potential madness.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5625 on: January 11, 2024, 10:46:10 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Issues I have are I can't ollie for shit and I don't quite go as fast as I like. Neither really need different wheels to solve ;D thanks for stopping the potential madness.

Correct answer: work on your ollies and go faster

Madness answer: bigger wheels would help both of those issues ;)

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5627 on: January 16, 2024, 03:45:49 PM »
I love how the 66s make the 60s look small. Glad they aren't priced overly high.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5628 on: January 16, 2024, 04:38:29 PM »

They will not be out here for a while yet, but it is funny to think 43 mm (1992-1993) through 66.6 mm (1997-1998) so yeah, the 90s were a funny time in skateboarding.

At least that was my take on the timeline of some of those sizes.

Anyone else got a different thought as to when they were in their prime / when they got really big for the super small and super big sizes?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5629 on: January 16, 2024, 05:49:52 PM »
I love how the 66s make the 60s look small. Glad they aren't priced overly high.

Would be nice to see the Lil Beatdowns in more the Lil' Smokie price range.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5630 on: January 16, 2024, 06:21:26 PM »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #5631 on: January 16, 2024, 07:14:31 PM »

Add V5's as Sandy out there running with Spongebob and Patrick....

V5's are a great Radial Slim.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5632 on: January 16, 2024, 07:39:07 PM »

They will not be out here for a while yet, but it is funny to think 43 mm (1992-1993) through 66.6 mm (1997-1998) so yeah, the 90s were a funny time in skateboarding.

At least that was my take on the timeline of some of those sizes.

Anyone else got a different thought as to when they were in their prime / when they got really big for the super small and super big sizes?

seems about right. i skated for a few years as a little kid, bones brigade era, tragically quit, and then restarted in 1994? whenever 411 vm #6 was. first setup had 44.5 spitfires, on recommendation from the shop, to not use something ‘too small’. by 1998, ish (when did osiris first start? that year), i was skating a setup with 60 mm spitfire classics. the wide ones. there were some interesting moments with gear, as we upgraded components as we could.
maybe i have it wrong in my mind, but i remember loving drake jones’ skating, and wanting indy’s because of him. decks were 7.5, but in my memory, indy wasn’t offering a 129 at that time.
then we got the narrow trucks, but EE3 came out, and we needed the big, big wheels, so then it was these really tippy setups.

oh. another dumbass thing i did was i’d skate riser, or ‘shock pads’, on every setup. 54s? cool, got my risers. and for 52s. and then for 60s. etc.

every now and then a friend would get a board from a sponsored skater, and we’d all marvel at how insane an 8” deck looked.
that era was a lot more interesting, compared to say 2003ish-2010, were people went on autopilot and skated the same ish shit.

if skating dies, are we going to get a new uniform?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5633 on: January 16, 2024, 07:45:12 PM »
66mms were a mid 80s thing.

The Big Wheel revival in the mid  90s maxed out at about 63mm with Matt Reason.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5634 on: January 17, 2024, 08:02:43 AM »
Quick back story - My Local is like 60 min drive from my house - it used to be a skatepark but closed during covid now its a guy running it out of his garage. he told me he is not going to be ordering spitfires next time because they will be $90 and hes only making like $5  :'(
Also, within the past week or so, Zumiez that was only like 30 min from my house has also closed down. They have lots of F4 classics on sale still for $50 which is $20 off and spitfires seem to never go on sale around here. I might order 2 sets of Spitfires from Zumiez to put on ice just to keep me going for the next few years  :-X
I reallllly love spitfire wheels and want to support DLX. but that is probably getting to the point its too much if I will be able to get decent wheels at like 1/2 the price or even less and they are working for me I will have no choice but to change probably  :'(

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5635 on: January 17, 2024, 08:28:39 AM »
Bones really is winning by keeping their prices the same over the last few years. Also the new x formula is a legit alternative to F4.

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5636 on: January 17, 2024, 08:30:01 AM »
Are the F4 97a good for indoor skatelite? My local indoor park is slick asf on hard wheels so I'm trying to find a good option without going too crazy soft.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5637 on: January 17, 2024, 08:43:06 AM »
Bones really is winning by keeping their prices the same over the last few years. Also the new x formula is a legit alternative to F4.
Couldn't agree more, + Bones offers more shapes that are not available on Spits.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Dad Board

« Reply #5638 on: January 17, 2024, 12:44:41 PM »
Quick back story - My Local is like 60 min drive from my house - it used to be a skatepark but closed during covid now its a guy running it out of his garage. he told me he is not going to be ordering spitfires next time because they will be $90 and hes only making like $5  :'(
Also, within the past week or so, Zumiez that was only like 30 min from my house has also closed down. They have lots of F4 classics on sale still for $50 which is $20 off and spitfires seem to never go on sale around here. I might order 2 sets of Spitfires from Zumiez to put on ice just to keep me going for the next few years  :-X
I reallllly love spitfire wheels and want to support DLX. but that is probably getting to the point its too much if I will be able to get decent wheels at like 1/2 the price or even less and they are working for me I will have no choice but to change probably  :'(

*Geoff Rowley voice “pure dedication to skateboarding”

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5639 on: January 17, 2024, 05:35:04 PM »

For the people who buy whatever they want whenever they want, hats off to you sir.  For everyone else who is living on a budget and trying to make ends meet and seeing the price of things like Spitfire wheels keep going up and up, I would say be smart about your spending, so if you see some on a good special / decent % off discount or whatever, go for it and stock up if or where you can so you do have wheels to get you through, compared to being on one set and no back ups, so if you need a new set, you have to pay full price from where ever you can get them, be it at their door or shipped.

I have dealt with and been in both situations, so now I gotta say I always have backups of anything I like to skate, use, wear, etc.

That is just me though.

Expand Quote
[close]
Couldn't agree more, + Bones offers more shapes that are not available on Spits.

If I had to, the only other wheel I would recommend and use are Bones, besides Spitfire Formula Four wheels, so for anyone who might be suffering as above, definitely check out what Bones offer in terms of price, shape, availability.

An unpopular opinion and to be very blunt about it, but any and all other brands of wheels in the current market, no matter how cheap I think are just not worth it.  Sure other people are riding them and are happy, but I would say Spitfire or Bones, then everything else and there is a big enough gap between them that it does make a difference.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.