Author Topic: aaaye, Canucks, what's up with this supposed freedom convoy?  (Read 4155 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
Re: aaaye, Canucks, what's up with this supposed freedom convoy?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2022, 07:46:36 AM »
“If you got it, a truck brought it” has taken on a new meaning now that they’ve mounted a cross-country protest during a pandemic, in the middle of flu season.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »
Apparently someome took a shit on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Terry Fox’s statue was also fucked with yesterday.

This made me real mad this morning.

svenfuck cowboy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 08:59:29 AM »
everything aside, they closed rideau so no one can skate p3 to my knowledge. i guess i will sit inside and begrudgingly listen to the honking all day instead.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 09:02:54 AM »
It's just bullshit, total bullshit.

Protesting mandates that are designed by health professionals to keep us safe during a global pandemic. I don't get it, I don't understand how someone feels so opposed to this. You're seriously protesting against tests and safety measures?

Had to unfollow a Canadian pro on insta whose skating I respect, because he's so into the convoy.

svenfuck cowboy

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »

Protesting mandates that are designed by health professionals to keep us safe during a global pandemic. I don't get it, I don't understand how someone feels so opposed to this. You're seriously protesting against tests and safety measures?

Had to unfollow a Canadian pro on insta whose skating I respect, because he's so into the convoy.
was it wade desarmo lmao

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2022, 09:15:41 AM »
damn i cannot accept wade being a MCGA kook but it's not looking good

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 09:17:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
was it wade desarmo lmao

...Yeah, sadly. He's goated for sure, I'm a fan, but it just bummed me out. I wish he'd take the bigger picture into account.

svenfuck cowboy

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2022, 09:31:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
was it wade desarmo lmao
[close]

...Yeah, sadly. He's goated for sure, I'm a fan, but it just bummed me out. I wish he'd take the bigger picture into account.
i bowed my head in defeat when i saw he followed ben shapiro and steven crowder on twitter. the support of the convoy came as no surprise with that in mind though

Oaf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2022, 02:01:38 PM »
Many of the key organizers are racist, anti immigration, and far right.  I’m from the west coast in a hippy town, and it amazes me how many people I know are getting behind this.  I get people being upset or disagreeing with vaccine mandates, but allying yourself with racists is lending them your own voice, and trying to act like that is justified is hard for me to understand.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2022, 07:34:40 PM »
Many of the key organizers are racist, anti immigration, and far right.  I’m from the west coast in a hippy town, and it amazes me how many people I know are getting behind this.  I get people being upset or disagreeing with vaccine mandates, but allying yourself with racists is lending them your own voice, and trying to act like that is justified is hard for me to understand.

truth. not saying deadheads and hippies are the fastest on the uptake, but I've spent a better part of my adult life in the grateful dead related scene, lots of yoga too, and I've been really, really bummed out to see so many people falling in with the far right.

when looking at the trajectory of growing fascist movements in European history after WWI, there was a lot of support from youth movements and fringes of the more radical left (while of course being funded by the industrialists, capitalists, and power brokers). Sometimes folks want change so bad and feel so disenfranchised that they can't see everything that comes with that particular form of change. I see a lot of that happening lately
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2022, 07:36:29 PM »
i had a brother at my job tell me covid was not real and “came from the sun” today. i don’t care what world you live in, but we can’t help you without a mask homeboy..

billy english

• Rep: -32
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 07:56:27 PM »
this guy believes it to be grift. not a skater but compares it to fruitboots and says ezra levant and others are using  to grift.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 08:18:27 PM »
Apparently someome took a shit on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Terry Fox’s statue was also fucked with yesterday.

This made me real mad this morning.

Sounds about right (pun intended)

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2022, 10:44:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
was it wade desarmo lmao
[close]

[close]
i bowed my head in defeat when i saw he followed ben shapiro and steven crowder on twitter. the support of the convoy came as no surprise with that in mind though

What a fucking bummer. I've seen him a few times at DunBat and he was always friendly/respectful. I also watched him get insanely high before the game of skate with Ishod. I was impressed he was soo good while insanely high.

Finally, just at note, the NYTimes podcast was discussing current left/right reactions to the pandemic. The guest explained those on the left might be overly worried (considering we are younger and vaxxed) and the right might be reckless in their disregard (as they are older and not vaxxed). I'm not saying the truth is directly in the middle, but there needs to be some give for those of us who got vaxxed and took this shit seriously from the start. Maybe, we've earned the right to be a little less worried?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Oaf

• Rep: 16
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

truth. not saying deadheads and hippies are the fastest on the uptake, but I've spent a better part of my adult life in the grateful dead related scene, lots of yoga too, and I've been really, really bummed out to see so many people falling in with the far right.

when looking at the trajectory of growing fascist movements in European history after WWI, there was a lot of support from youth movements and fringes of the more radical left (while of course being funded by the industrialists, capitalists, and power brokers). Sometimes folks want change so bad and feel so disenfranchised that they can't see everything that comes with that particular form of change. I see a lot of that happening lately

This sounds pretty on point to me.  People here keep saying “it’s not about the politics”, but the rhetoric and people involved are highly political and it’s hard not to see it. 

There is apparently also a blockade in Alberta preventing access by vehicle to a border crossing.  Truckers preventing other truckers from working in a real solidarity move.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2022, 05:47:04 AM »
It's kind hilarious how some of the older generation is painting the younger people as soft for taking covid serious. I am speaking for myself when I say that I take it serious not for my own health. I don't worry at all, I am not overweight and I exercise regularly.  I take it serious because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with serious health consequences/death because of my actions. . If we (menials and gen z) were just saying fuck it, they'd likely be a little bit more upset that 10-20% of their friends were dying.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:58:11 AM by Beeda Weeda »

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 09:08:12 AM »
wearing a Canada First hat with a hoodie might not be the best idea

billy english

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2022, 10:46:38 AM »
It's kind hilarious how some of the older generation is painting the younger people as soft for taking covid serious. I am speaking for myself when I say that I take it serious not for my own health. I don't worry at all, I am not overweight and I exercise regularly.  I take it serious because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with serious health consequences/death because of my actions. . If we (menials and gen z) were just saying fuck it, they'd likely be a little bit more upset that 10-20% of their friends were dying.
think the mortality rates are still 1-3% for older people but i get your point.

svenfuck cowboy

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »
wearing a Canada First hat with a hoodie might not be the best idea

making canada hats and shirts say anal is a joy only few know. trendwatch 2022

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This sounds pretty on point to me.  People here keep saying “it’s not about the politics”, but the rhetoric and people involved are highly political and it’s hard not to see it. 

There is apparently also a blockade in Alberta preventing access by vehicle to a border crossing.  Truckers preventing other truckers from working in a real solidarity move.

I think there's a lot of folks who don't see that EVERYTHING is political, especially at this point in time. Looking at history, and again, I'm keyed up as I'm reading a book on the origins of fascism after WWI right now, in their individual or group pursuit of safety (based on real or subjective threats), resource acquisition (homes, food, $, work,), individuals and individual groups often become unwitting foot soldiers for groups who most certainly have other interests.

I mean, there has been a massive and seemingly instant transfer of wealth that's taken place in the past 2 or so years. That's undebatable, right? And in line with free and global trade initiatives, first in Canada and more recently the US, homes have become a sort of untraceable and simultaneously tradable asset for the wealthy, stock markets, and international investment groups. Throw in the untaxed or minimally taxed wealth/property/asset transfer from the so-called Boomer generation to their kids that's happening right now and see that families who were already well off are growing in wealth. Here's an interesting piece, right, because the recipients of generational wealth are fighting tooth and nail to avoid paying taxes on it, thus pushing them to align with the far-right and the classes or groups without assets period are also pissed, but are manipulated to be pissed at something rather irrelevant like vaccine mandates or immigration, thus leading them increasingly to align with far-right groups.

I don't know. I don't know nothin

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Fhk

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think there's a lot of folks who don't see that EVERYTHING is political, especially at this point in time. Looking at history, and again, I'm keyed up as I'm reading a book on the origins of fascism after WWI right now, in their individual or group pursuit of safety (based on real or subjective threats), resource acquisition (homes, food, $, work,), individuals and individual groups often become unwitting foot soldiers for groups who most certainly have other interests.

I mean, there has been a massive and seemingly instant transfer of wealth that's taken place in the past 2 or so years. That's undebatable, right? And in line with free and global trade initiatives, first in Canada and more recently the US, homes have become a sort of untraceable and simultaneously tradable asset for the wealthy, stock markets, and international investment groups. Throw in the untaxed or minimally taxed wealth/property/asset transfer from the so-called Boomer generation to their kids that's happening right now and see that families who were already well off are growing in wealth. Here's an interesting piece, right, because the recipients of generational wealth are fighting tooth and nail to avoid paying taxes on it, thus pushing them to align with the far-right and the classes or groups without assets period are also pissed, but are manipulated to be pissed at something rather irrelevant like vaccine mandates or immigration, thus leading them increasingly to align with far-right groups.

I don't know. I don't know nothin

Correct...on all of it except not knowing nothin'. You definitely know the deal.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2022, 11:26:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
think the mortality rates are still 1-3% for older people but i get your point.

that's a huge difference, I was making a generalization and it was a poor use of numbers.

nonickname

• Rep: 86
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2022, 06:41:32 AM »
Hmmm we can't cross the border in our trucks...so let's block a crossing point in Alberta with our trucks so no one else can! Can-na-da! Can-na-da! Can-na-da!

Good job everyone.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 112
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2022, 10:49:40 AM »
I live in downtown Ottawa and nobody wants them here. They shit on the street, harass locals, threaten locals, their antics have made businesses and the mall downtown to shut their doors for the safety of staff. They piss on memorials that honour the veterans that fought for their freedom they hold so dear. They raid homeless shelters for food. They hold "My body my choice" signs but change their tone when asked if that extends to abortion. They throw shit and beer cans at windows and homes with pride flags. The honking for those living next to it is driving them insane, reducing ability to sleep and work while terrifying pets and young children. The key leaders of the movements are racists, white supremacists, and scam artists (the person that started the go fund me is currently missing after finally getting some of the funds released ::) )

This is the most idiotic thing I have seen in a long time. The USA has their own mandates so even if they get what they want they still cant enter the states. 90% of canadas truckers are fully vaxxed so these are just some losers LARPing like they are doing something important, worried that ANTIFA is around every corner. They claim they are doing it for their children while simultaneously keeping their children in the shit camp downtown, losing sleep and not attending school and likely unable to shower or have access to bathrooms.

Oh and they say its ok to support Nazis if thats what youre into: https://imgur.com/a/uXIH4Pb#sQ9PnZn

Another good one: https://www.tiktok.com/@truenorthnews/video/7058847795465309445

Fuck these assholes and get the fuck out of my city you worthless wastes of space.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2022, 05:20:23 AM »
Does anybody know if it’s cleared out enough to skate the underground lots yet?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2022, 11:15:45 AM »
This
I live in downtown Ottawa and nobody wants them here.

…The honking for those living next to it is driving them insane,

from r/PublicFreakout

There is no way I could put up with this and not start fucking with their rigs. It’s insane the police have essentially joined them and refused to write tickets.

billy english

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2022, 11:37:09 AM »
i seen a comic that has a commie going 'workers of the world unite' and then in response to convoy 'not like that!'
what do people think of that? should we be down for it because it's workers united? if they were convoying for better wages or medical, would it be different?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1489
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2022, 11:58:33 AM »
i seen a comic that has a commie going 'workers of the world unite' and then in response to convoy 'not like that!'
what do people think of that? should we be down for it because it's workers united? if they were convoying for better wages or medical, would it be different?
Would you be down for them if they were spouting anti-immigration or anti-islam tropes instead?

They are just being astroturfed into supporting the wrong cause. Feel free to join in, but I'm not going to play victim when I am victimizing people like they are.

I feel bad for anyone that has an emergency and needs to get to the hospital but these idiots are blocking the roads.

svenfuck cowboy

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2022, 12:01:54 PM »
Does anybody know if it’s cleared out enough to skate the underground lots yet?
rideau and subsequently p3 is closed till the 6th as of now.

billy english

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2022, 12:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Would you be down for them if they were spouting anti-immigration or anti-islam tropes instead?

They are just being astroturfed into supporting the wrong cause. Feel free to join in, but I'm not going to play victim when I am victimizing people like they are.

I feel bad for anyone that has an emergency and needs to get to the hospital but these idiots are blocking the roads.
if i agree w/ the main point i'd excuse some disagreement elsewhere. che was mean to gays after all but effective.