Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90445 times)

danmasontree (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

IpathCats

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #990 on: March 20, 2023, 06:12:01 AM »

hurt my back, didnt skate for a while because i needed to make sure i was good to skate on the 18th for an event my volunteer group was participating in. Re aggravated the back injury during the event, and had the worst knee pain of my life that evening. My right knee (im reg, so my main pop leg) will sometimes get sore after skating for a while, but it has never in my life hurt like it did the evening after our event. Thankfully the pain had died down to manageable levels after sleeping, but it still doesnt feel quite right.

Though I'm sure all of this mental BS is probably mostly due to my injuries, my dormant madness is starting to stir and its directing my focus toward my setup.

Currently considering throwing some thunders on longer WB boards to see how that suits me. im 6' 4" and I'm wondering if some of my awkward positioning on my skateboard (from it not fitting my long ass body/legs is what is leading me to these injuries.

I have an 8.38 with a 14.5 wb from deluxe and a 8.38 palace with a 14.81 wb. Have also considered trying that 8.6 dlx shape with that 14.75 wb

I hate not being able to just ignore my setup, it drives me nuts how i will feel so completely fine with it, no desire to change, and then something just goes off in my head like i NEED to try this other thing out.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #991 on: March 20, 2023, 06:17:16 AM »

hurt my back, didnt skate for a while because i needed to make sure i was good to skate on the 18th for an event my volunteer group was participating in. Re aggravated the back injury during the event, and had the worst knee pain of my life that evening. My right knee (im reg, so my main pop leg) will sometimes get sore after skating for a while, but it has never in my life hurt like it did the evening after our event. Thankfully the pain had died down to manageable levels after sleeping, but it still doesnt feel quite right.

Though I'm sure all of this mental BS is probably mostly due to my injuries, my dormant madness is starting to stir and its directing my focus toward my setup.

Currently considering throwing some thunders on longer WB boards to see how that suits me. im 6' 4" and I'm wondering if some of my awkward positioning on my skateboard (from it not fitting my long ass body/legs is what is leading me to these injuries.

I have an 8.38 with a 14.5 wb from deluxe and a 8.38 palace with a 14.81 wb. Have also considered trying that 8.6 dlx shape with that 14.75 wb

I hate not being able to just ignore my setup, it drives me nuts how i will feel so completely fine with it, no desire to change, and then something just goes off in my head like i NEED to try this other thing out.
Can relate. I’m also a tall skater and I ride 14.25 wheelbase boards that honestly feel a little cramped. When I’m injured or can’t skate I tweak my setup. Or if I’m down and depressed. It’s made me realize that stocking up is a bad idea cause my mind changes too much. Now I have tons of gear I don’t care to skate. Anyway, I hope you can heal up!

IpathCats

« Reply #992 on: March 20, 2023, 06:36:28 AM »
Can relate. I’m also a tall skater and I ride 14.25 wheelbase boards that honestly feel a little cramped. When I’m injured or can’t skate I tweak my setup. Or if I’m down and depressed. It’s made me realize that stocking up is a bad idea cause my mind changes too much. Now I have tons of gear I don’t care to skate. Anyway, I hope you can heal up!

Thanks for the kind words, I def recommend getting a lonnger wb than the standard 14.25 if you are taller. I've been on 14.4/14.5 with indys for a while now. But i know thunders add about a quarter inch to your wheelbase vs indys.

Interesting that you change your gear when you are feeling down, I feel like i might do the same, but never really noticed.

Skateboarding can be very emotional lol.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #993 on: March 29, 2023, 11:33:28 AM »
Dude okay this has been pissing me off...

I bought a pair of GT Blazers for the first time a couple weeks ago. The last shoes I skated were Vans Rowans (had like 6-7 pairs in a row).

Obviously, they fit pretty different. I really like the way the GTs look and skate, they feel much "sturdier" than the soft, pilable Vans.

The problem is the fucking arch in these guys! I swapped the stock insoles for the thinnest, mellowest Remind insoles - destin, 3mm I think - I also tried the 6mm version, and my left arch (exclusively) just aches and feels terrible. I've just been dealing with it cause I like the shoe overall, but I've never had pain in my foot like this.

To be clear, my left foot isn't radically different than my left, and my right foot feels totally fine. I've tried running them laced tight and loose, no effect.

Is it just not meant to be? Any one have ideas on how I might be able to ghetto fix this? Maybe put them in the oven and try to re-mold them? I'm really bummed cause i want to love them, but this sucks
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

LebowskisRug

« Reply #994 on: March 29, 2023, 12:33:45 PM »
I'm actually thinking of going back down to 14.25 and/or Ventures since I keep fucking up Thunder bushings and its getting old. I noticed on a friend's setup and on a board I setup for fun a few months ago that the slightly faster pop of a shorter board makes it a bit easier to get onto taller ledges, which is what I want to skate right now. Not waist high, I'm not that great, but above knee height with my current bag of basics would be nirvana.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #995 on: March 29, 2023, 12:34:11 PM »

I bought a pair of GT Blazers for the first time a couple weeks ago. The last shoes I skated were Vans Rowans (had like 6-7 pairs in a row).

Obviously, they fit pretty different. I really like the way the GTs look and skate, they feel much "sturdier" than the soft, pilable Vans.

The problem is the fucking arch in these guys! I swapped the stock insoles for the thinnest, mellowest Remind insoles - destin, 3mm I think - I also tried the 6mm version, and my left arch (exclusively) just aches and feels terrible. I've just been dealing with it cause I like the shoe overall, but I've never had pain in my foot like this.

To be clear, my left foot isn't radically different than my left, and my right foot feels totally fine. I've tried running them laced tight and loose, no effect.

Is it just not meant to be? Any one have ideas on how I might be able to ghetto fix this? Maybe put them in the oven and try to re-mold them? I'm really bummed cause i want to love them, but this sucks

Mine hurt as well in them, not for the GT having no arch, or a high one, they just made my arch area hurt for no apparent reason.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #996 on: March 29, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
So I've been on 8.38-8.5 decks with Thunder team 149s and spitfire OG Classics 54 for a little while. I've been thinking of sizing down in board size for a bit and I think I might go for it. Thinking of going 8.125-8.25 decks with either Thunder 148 or Venture 5.6 with a set of almost brand new spitfire 52mm classics I already have.

I need support in convincing me to just get a 8.25 deck and throw the set of 52 classics on my 149s and NOT buy another set of trucks.

I've also thought of going all the way down to 8" with 5.2/147s, but I think that might be a bit too much of a downsizing for now...

I mean... 52s on 149s would be pretty techy on a 8.25, RIGHT?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #997 on: March 29, 2023, 01:12:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mine hurt as well in them, not for the GT having no arch, or a high one, they just made my arch area hurt for no apparent reason.

Damn... guess i might have to retire these and turn em to chillers before they're too haggard. The one time I step away from the go-to... ::)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #998 on: March 29, 2023, 01:30:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn... guess i might have to retire these and turn em to chillers before they're too haggard. The one time I step away from the go-to... ::)
Chillers that hurt seem to defeat the purpose unfortunately...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #999 on: March 29, 2023, 01:57:06 PM »
So I've been on 8.38-8.5 decks with Thunder team 149s and spitfire OG Classics 54 for a little while. I've been thinking of sizing down in board size for a bit and I think I might go for it. Thinking of going 8.125-8.25 decks with either Thunder 148 or Venture 5.6 with a set of almost brand new spitfire 52mm classics I already have.

I need support in convincing me to just get a 8.25 deck and throw the set of 52 classics on my 149s and NOT buy another set of trucks.

I've also thought of going all the way down to 8" with 5.2/147s, but I think that might be a bit too much of a downsizing for now...

One swap at a time whatever it is. Keep your current everything and swap to the smaller deck. Then once you've decided if that is a keeper try the wheels and then trucks. The biggest differences will be that order of swaps.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1000 on: March 29, 2023, 02:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Chillers that hurt seem to defeat the purpose unfortunately...

I realize how backward that sounded lol Luckily they seem to do okay if I'm not on board. Might hunt for some really thin insoles.

They might be fresh enough to drop at the shop, but just barely. otherwise I'm just out 70-80$

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1001 on: March 29, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One swap at a time whatever it is. Keep your current everything and swap to the smaller deck. Then once you've decided if that is a keeper try the wheels and then trucks. The biggest differences will be that order of swaps.

Wholeheartedly disagree.

Personally I say go for it. My main setup is always an 8.25 board and trucks and 52mm wheels, it's a fantastic combo. But I'd suggest dropping to 8.25 first.

or

If money is tight, just swap the deck and wheel since you already have them as you are NOT going to really notice 2mm wheel different because you will be too subconsciously distracted on the deck width); keep your trucks.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1002 on: March 29, 2023, 04:23:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wholeheartedly disagree.

Expand Quote

[close]

Personally I say go for it. My main setup is always an 8.25 board and trucks and 52mm wheels, it's a fantastic combo. But I'd suggest dropping to 8.25 first.

or

If money is tight, just swap the deck and wheel since you already have them as you are NOT going to really notice 2mm wheel different because you will be too subconsciously distracted on the deck width); keep your trucks.

Money isn't an issue at all, but yeah, I'll see how I like the whole thing with the 149s on, and whenever I'm due for some trucks I might size down then. Or if I get the urge to try something other than Thunders or Indys, then I might get some Ventures or something. (I have a set of 149 indys on my cruiser right now, had it on my setup and impulse bought the Thunders and skated much better on them, or at least it felt like it after I got used to them)

Thanks for the reply!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1003 on: March 29, 2023, 06:34:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wholeheartedly disagree.

Expand Quote

[close]

or

I can't see why you'd disagree. Swapping a deck can be jarring cuz it's not just the shorter wheelbase. He might hate the nose or concave on the first one he gets and if he swapped everything he wouldn't know why he hated it. That at least tells him if he likes a shorter shape. His wheels probably aren't 54 anymore either so it's likely they're close to 51-52. Let's assume they aren't, swapping wheels is cheap and not as committing so if he wants a faster pop it's a super easy fix. 149 on 8.25 isn't bad and if he's decided to fully commit he can get a bit more rotational response on certain tricks by switching down.

This is speaking from a former madness perspective where in retrospect a lot of my entire setup swaps were too many variables to know what did and didn't work well. Now my 8" deck has lows and 51s, but I've ridden 8's on forged plate highs with 52s and it's still felt proportional enough.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1004 on: March 29, 2023, 07:14:25 PM »
Because I do...jezzus...What does it matter if I do or not?

Seriously, ask yourself if my opinion really matters to you.

The OP looked at your opinion, and mine, and will make his own choice.

FFS man, you always have to be right, get over yourself.

OP has the smaller wheels and 149s, everything will work fine on an 8.25...which is one of the mentioned targets...people get new decks ALL THE TIME. Tell me, how do you know it won't gel for him?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:27:59 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1005 on: March 29, 2023, 07:59:30 PM »
I'm actually thinking of going back down to 14.25 and/or Ventures since I keep fucking up Thunder bushings and its getting old. I noticed on a friend's setup and on a board I setup for fun a few months ago that the slightly faster pop of a shorter board makes it a bit easier to get onto taller ledges, which is what I want to skate right now. Not waist high, I'm not that great, but above knee height with my current bag of basics would be nirvana.

I like shorter boards, and short tails. And low trucks. And quick pop. And thunders. And ventures.
So I’m not much help.
You are tall, so your knee height will be way different than mine, but basics, higher, is an admirable goal imo.
Lots of variables, I’ve Ollied high, for me, on super long boards, but maybe they had bigger wheels…hard to memorize all the different aspects of all of these concoctions I’ve compiled.
I ollie higher with ventures, more consistent pop (kickflips) with thunders. I, and everyone I think, fuck up the thunder bushings. Looks weird, but I don’t find it bothering me. Does it fuck with the turn/stability?  Eventually I’ll try these super hard thunder bushings I have.
Interested to see how it works out for you.
For me, shorter setups do help me get up higher, and I need all of the help I can possibly get. Mob, vulcs, fucking I’d skate a lib tech rn if I could ollie a tennis net

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1006 on: March 29, 2023, 08:47:56 PM »
Because I do...jezzus...What does it matter if I do or not?

Seriously, ask yourself if my opinion really matters to you.

The OP looked at your opinion, and mine, and will make his own choice.

FFS man, you always have to be right, get over yourself.

OP has the smaller wheels and 149s, everything will work fine on an 8.25...which is one of the mentioned targets...people get new decks ALL THE TIME. Tell me, how do you know it won't gel for him?

Damn, touched a nerve there. Usually an adult that has an opinion has a reason for it. Being an adult myself and a curious one that tries to learn from others, I was interested in some sort of logic I had considered. It's not a matter of right or wrong. I think in an analytic or scientific way because that's how my brain works hence the 1 variable at a time so you don't have any impact from covariance, but I realize others take different approaches to simple stuff and it's interesting to hear about and consider being less anal retentive myself. Other opinions do matter.

Now saying you don't agree then going on some random tangent without any explanation makes you seem like you're disagreeing just to be a pain in the ass. Not to actually add any value to any discussion.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1007 on: March 29, 2023, 08:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like shorter boards, and short tails. And low trucks. And quick pop. And thunders. And ventures.
So I’m not much help.
You are tall, so your knee height will be way different than mine, but basics, higher, is an admirable goal imo.
Lots of variables, I’ve Ollied high, for me, on super long boards, but maybe they had bigger wheels…hard to memorize all the different aspects of all of these concoctions I’ve compiled.
I ollie higher with ventures, more consistent pop (kickflips) with thunders. I, and everyone I think, fuck up the thunder bushings. Looks weird, but I don’t find it bothering me. Does it fuck with the turn/stability?  Eventually I’ll try these super hard thunder bushings I have.
Interested to see how it works out for you.
For me, shorter setups do help me get up higher, and I need all of the help I can possibly get. Mob, vulcs, fucking I’d skate a lib tech rn if I could ollie a tennis net

The bushings split on the heel side front truck this time both top and bottom. The bottom one split all the way through and the board turns way easier to that side. I rotated it to put the split in the middle then did some slappies and it has cracked heel side again.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1008 on: March 29, 2023, 11:40:46 PM »
What is the best setup for flatground skater  :

- 8.125 Baker with Ventures 5.25 Hollows high ?

- 8.125 Baker with Thunder 148 raws ?

(All of that with 52 mm Spitfire classics)

I hesitate between these two parameters ..

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1009 on: March 30, 2023, 06:57:37 AM »

That is like asking, "What is the best color for a painter?" There are so many variables. The only way to find out what works best for you is to try different stuff.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1010 on: March 30, 2023, 08:09:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is like asking, "What is the best color for a painter?" There are so many variables. The only way to find out what works best for you is to try different stuff.
totally agree that it's best to try different stuff so that it will either reinforce what you like about your current setup or you may discover that you like a different truck brand, etc.
what is it that you mainly look for from a setup that will be primarily be used for flatground tricks? what matters more to you? turn over pop? stability?

just from my experience with Ventures and Thunders - Thunders have a lighter pop feel and turn quicker/sharper. Ventures are more stable and can produce huge pop if you can get used to the heavier pop feel. This is with both trucks with stock parts.

There are so many factors that you can change if you feel like you're not getting what you want from your setup - for trucks: flat top washer, harder/softer bushings, cylinder/conical bottom bushing, cutting the top bushing, running no washers, etc.

hope this helps

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1011 on: March 30, 2023, 08:12:31 AM »
I had a Baker 8.25 recently with both Indy FH and Thunders. Hated it on the FH- the mild concave made the pop feel too light especially on the nose. Thunders felt better on it for sure. I think an Indy standard or Venture might be best for me for that deck as the heaviness would balance out nice.

manysnakes

« Reply #1012 on: March 30, 2023, 09:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you look at the comments on Den Degros' YouTube and Instagram, people are constantly asking things like "Will Thunder 148 trucks work on an 8.25" deck with 52mm wheels" and it's like - brother, you are just describing a skateboard. Of course it will work.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1013 on: March 30, 2023, 09:53:02 AM »
I had a Baker 8.25 recently with both Indy FH and Thunders. Hated it on the FH- the mild concave made the pop feel too light especially on the nose. Thunders felt better on it for sure. I think an Indy standard or Venture might be best for me for that deck as the heaviness would balance out nice.

I don't want a too heavy board with too heavy pop (I'm skating right now with ventures 5.2 high raws.. some tricks are a battle for me, sometimes I feel like I'm not in control of my board and having to make a superhuman effort without ease!) But I hate a board that is too light.. I had the 147 Thunder, with 8 or 8.125, and too light.. it earned me an ankle injury (360 flip that turned too much )

The 148 really appeals to me because I really want to switch to 8.25 later.. Do they really have a pop with a light sensation ? That might be cool for a wide board like 8.25 if that's the case ! I also want to be more stable to work on my manuals, it's horrible with the 5.2 high raws! I don't know how John dilo does haha

For 148, I also trust Ben degros for the fact that these are "goodilocks" trucks ! The only thing that scares me is with my height and shoe size (5.7 and 8 foot size), but I don't think that's a big factor and prevents me from performing tricks..  ???

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1014 on: March 30, 2023, 10:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't want a too heavy board with too heavy pop (I'm skating right now with ventures 5.2 high raws.. some tricks are a battle for me, sometimes I feel like I'm not in control of my board and having to make a superhuman effort without ease!) But I hate a board that is too light.. I had the 147 Thunder, with 8 or 8.125, and too light.. it earned me an ankle injury (360 flip that turned too much )

The 148 really appeals to me because I really want to switch to 8.25 later.. Do they really have a pop with a light sensation ? That might be cool for a wide board like 8.25 if that's the case ! I also want to be more stable to work on my manuals, it's horrible with the 5.2 high raws! I don't know how John dilo does haha

For 148, I also trust Ben degros for the fact that these are "goodilocks" trucks ! The only thing that scares me is with my height and shoe size (5.7 and 8 foot size), but I don't think that's a big factor and prevents me from performing tricks..  ???

Remember there is so much more to creating the heavy/light pop feel of a board than just the trucks. Truck wheelbase, deck wheelbase, height (truck/wheelsize), fingers of flat, steepness of kicks, length of kicks, etc are ALL factors in what creates pop feel.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1015 on: March 30, 2023, 02:20:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you look at the comments on Den Degros' YouTube and Instagram, people are constantly asking things like "Will Thunder 148 trucks work on an 8.25" deck with 52mm wheels" and it's like - brother, you are just describing a skateboard. Of course it will work.

It’s a poor carpenter that blames their tools.

Or something like that.

This Goldilocks trucks thing is a myth. I think somewhere in this recent information sharing and gathering period that we are all in, someone started talking about effective wb, deck wb, the effect trucks have…and there are just too many other factors.

I can say, as someone that currently will rock up to the spot with 3 or 4 setups in tow, that this shit is unhelpful, and most likely unhealthy.
There is some fun to it. I do enjoy aspects of trying different things, getting feedback and ideas on here…but if it is all about personal progression, just pick something, and you’ll adjust. If the board is within .5” of the trucks, that’ll be a close enough start. Everything else will work.
Now there might be something else out there, that would be more optimal for you @FrenchSkater, but it probably is not worth the journey. Still gonna have to do the work. Still gonna fuck up your ankles.

I want to be very clear, I am not above any of the madness/consumerism: I want yet a different set of trucks (ace lows) for no great reason. I just saw an older Ishod 8 tt shape with the shorter tails and liked that. I want to try a truefit board. Neither of those are all that flat, and I want a flat board, so I’ll be on the look out for that. And that is all for someone (me) very old, that doesn’t skate 5 hours a week, and sometimes not even that much in a month. I got kids, and 2 jobs. And I waste time on here. With you fucks.
So do what you do. Buy the 148s. Maybe they’ll be the shit. Hopefully you’ll be stoked.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: March 30, 2023, 04:27:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

lol

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: March 30, 2023, 04:36:15 PM »
I’m trying to figure out why my favorite decks have been from PS Stix. It’s weird, my Indys seemingly turn better on this Pizza deck. Could it be the flatter concave? Feels like I have more room to work with.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: March 30, 2023, 04:10:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s a poor carpenter that blames their tools.

A good carpenter knows tools have specific utility for specific purposes. A good carpenter doesn't have one tool for all jobs, and he will certainly "blame his tools" if the job requires a drill, and all he has is a tape measure.

Moreover, when Ben D. talks about "goldilocks" anything, he is talking about the the best all-around set-up that works for him. He knows, and has said, that "your millage may vary." Ben's two real messages are, (1) Do your own research, and (b) When you find something that works, stop the madness (which is what you are saying, too).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 05:21:43 PM by Sedition »

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1019 on: March 30, 2023, 04:35:10 PM »
I’m trying to figure out why my favorite decks have been from PS Stix. It’s weird, my Indys seemingly turn better on this Pizza deck. Could it be the flatter concave? Feels like I have more room to work with.