Author Topic: Nollie bs 180 vs Fakie "Frontside" 180 inconsistencies  (Read 4226 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
Re: Nollie bs 180 vs Fakie "Frontside" 180 inconsistencies
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
I respect someone who says "Fake frontside 180" more than the whole "FS Halfcab" nonsense. 

The major tripping point is that the "Cab" turn shouldn't have been extended in it's namesake beyond what it is, which is a fakie 360. I don't even think calling a cab a... "fakie backside 360" is even necessary because when you do shuvits you never say "backside shuvit" it's just a shuv.  That's my take.

I agree with cab getting too much credit for tricks but weirdly it also bothered me when he tried to stop the term nollie cab. He's already taking credit for a bunch of other tricks so why not just leave the one that looks most similar to the actual cab.
It's like if you invented the 360 flip but then were also taking credit for the varial flip (which someone else made up) but not the nollie tre

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »
The reason nollie cab is frowned upon is because a cab is by definition fakie. So you'd effectively be saying a nollie fakie 360 which doesn't make much sense.

If you wanna be weird and pedantic about it, you could technically call a nollie frontside 360 a switch cab... but that sounds stupid too.

Personally I don't have a problem with saying nollie cab over nollie frontside 360. It may be technically incorrect, but it very clearly gets the point across and there's zero confusion as to what you're referring to.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2021, 07:35:38 PM »
Does anyone else agree with me that a nollie backside 180 FEELS frontside…!? This is my major discrepancy.

I understand and accept the (flawed) logic of this conversation but to me the fakie rotations are properly named and their nollie counterparts are misnamed.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
If I'm being completely honest. My friends and I only learned the difference of the nomenclature only a few years ago...and even then, during a game a of skate, things still get interesting

Friend: Okay I'm going to do a Nollie frontside Cab

Does the trick...

Me: That's a Nollie backside 180, you turned the wrong way and half-cabs can only be fakie

Friend: Fuck you, do the trick

lmao, same thing with me and my friend when we play skate

foureyedjim

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I've always felt that the trick naming system made sense if you follow certain rules, but there are inconsistencies because of exceptions to the rules people have made in naming tricks for one reason or another.

-regular stance: fs and bs spins, obstacle is either fs or bs of you.  Pretty self explanatory
-nollie: exact same rules as regular stance. Just because you pop off the nose doesn't mean naming changes
-fakie: You have to pretend you're going "backwards."  That's why spin direction is opposite but obstacle direction stays the same. This is a big one that people like to give exceptions for ("fakie bs tailslide" sounds harder but incorrectly named based on the rule).
-switch: Exactly the same as regular, the rule assumes that you now skate in the opposite stance.
[close]
With slides for fakie it's fakie Ollie to whatever regular slide.
So it's fakie Ollie to regular back tailslide fakie Ollie to back lip shortened to fakie back tail fakie lip etc
I don’t know why we can’t just call slides and grinds based on where it is in relation to you.  If you’re facing the ledge it should always be fs.  You may end up sliding the ledge like a bs tailslide but you approached it fs, and thus it should be called fakie fs tail.  Why even have this naming convention if you aren’t gonna follow the rules…just my two cents.  We all instinctively know how these tricks feel so it’s not a huge deal. 

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -12
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »
Quite an ego to make a video explaining how it's all the skate magazines are wrong and not you
My thoughts exactly especially when your 180s look like that. Idk if I have too much pride in nollie back 180s but I’m offended by that presentation.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2021, 08:33:28 PM »
Does anyone else agree with me that a nollie backside 180 FEELS frontside…!? This is my major discrepancy.

I understand and accept the (flawed) logic of this conversation but to me the fakie rotations are properly named and their nollie counterparts are misnamed.

Feels backside to me. I'm spinning the same way I do for a regular backside 180 except popping off the nose. How different tricks 'feel' isn't the best way to decide how we should name something, its highly subjective and can be skewed and influenced by how we've grown to understand these terms.

foureyedjim

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2021, 10:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Feels backside to me. I'm spinning the same way I do for a regular backside 180 except popping off the nose. How different tricks 'feel' isn't the best way to decide how we should name something, its highly subjective and can be skewed and influenced by how we've grown to understand these terms.

Well said, the inconsistency stems from people’s subjective feelings about the trick itself which is a separate issue from the naming system.  A lot of it seems to come from people’s desire to make the name fit the “difficulty” of the trick. 

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2021, 11:54:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if you approach a ledge fakie and fakie ollie into a front tailslide, is that a fakie switch front nose or fakie fs tail?
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

If you approach the ledge with your back in fakie stance, it would be a fakie ollie to sw bs noseslide. but I think it is easier to just say fakie front tail.
[close]
I’ve been told that one cannot change his stance after popping, if you are popping from fakie you have to land on some sort of fakie trick…. Think of fakie 5-0, it’s not fakie ollie to ss nosegrind right? Altho I agree, terminology is what it is and we just have to deal with it.
[close]

Yeah you're correct. It would be a fakie tailslide not a fakie ollie to switch noseslide
[close]

What if you turned your shoulders less and your back truck landed crookedly.....and you're grinding!  Now what do you call it????

Definitely not a fakie suski.....even if it's right?  It's wrong...fakie  5-0?  The in is right, but the description of the grind is vague...switch nollie crook?  We're not doing that either?  The correct answer is fakie ollie switch crook......maybe not the perfect answer...but the best one.
I have never heard anyone call that fakie ollie to switch crooks, just fakie crooks. It’s just one of the tricks where logic doesn’t work, but let’s play this. What if you can’t lock into crooked position and end up on willy position, would that be fakie smith or fakie ollie to switch willy?  :D I know this is fucked but this is how my logic works…
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2021, 12:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if you approach a ledge fakie and fakie ollie into a front tailslide, is that a fakie switch front nose or fakie fs tail?
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

If you approach the ledge with your back in fakie stance, it would be a fakie ollie to sw bs noseslide. but I think it is easier to just say fakie front tail.
[close]
I’ve been told that one cannot change his stance after popping, if you are popping from fakie you have to land on some sort of fakie trick…. Think of fakie 5-0, it’s not fakie ollie to ss nosegrind right? Altho I agree, terminology is what it is and we just have to deal with it.
[close]

Yeah you're correct. It would be a fakie tailslide not a fakie ollie to switch noseslide
[close]

What if you turned your shoulders less and your back truck landed crookedly.....and you're grinding!  Now what do you call it????

Definitely not a fakie suski.....even if it's right?  It's wrong...fakie  5-0?  The in is right, but the description of the grind is vague...switch nollie crook?  We're not doing that either?  The correct answer is fakie ollie switch crook......maybe not the perfect answer...but the best one.
[close]
I have never heard anyone call that fakie ollie to switch crooks, just fakie crooks. It’s just one of the tricks where logic doesn’t work, but let’s play this. What if you can’t lock into crooked position and end up on willy position, would that be fakie smith or fakie ollie to switch willy?  :D I know this is fucked but this is how my logic works…

That would be a fakie smith.

Fakie crook is the commonly used name, but it is actually short for fakie ollie to switch crook which is perfectly fine logically, just too much of a mouthful.

The "one cannot change his stance after popping" rule is stupid as fuck. I get the intention, but there's so many exceptions to this rule and any 180 in trick requires it by default so why even bother having this limitation.

You could call a fakie 5-0 a fakie ollie to switch nosegrind, a fakie nosegrind a fakie ollie into a switch 5-0... wouldn't be technically incorrect and makes sense logically too.

Though in these two cases fakie 5-0 and fakie nosegrind are easy and intuitive enough that there's no need to use the "fakie to switch ___" approach which only makes it unnecessarily weird and complicated.

Technically, calling the pinchy version a 'fakie suski' is correct, but it just feels off on a visceral level, so we call it fakie ollie to switch crook, which has now been shortened to fakie crook.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:26:10 AM by tzhangdox »

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »

I really don't :D Nollie and fakie feels to me the way the naming convention are - I actually find it rather fascinating how different fakie feels to nollie (as in it doesn't just feel mirrored)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2021, 06:25:17 AM »
I respect someone who says "Fake frontside 180" more than the whole "FS Halfcab" nonsense. 

The major tripping point is that the "Cab" turn shouldn't have been extended in it's namesake beyond what it is, which is a fakie 360. I don't even think calling a cab a... "fakie backside 360" is even necessary because when you do shuvits you never say "backside shuvit" it's just a shuv.  That's my take.
cab terminology also messes with a lot of tricks. I say fakie frontside flip for a half cab kick flip that doesn’t go backside, but some people are violently opposed to that naming.
If we didn’t have half cab/ cab terminology, then a regular half cab kick flip would just be called a fakie backside flip right? That’s why I don’t have beef with fakie frontside flip, or fakie front 180, or fakie front nose slide … they all make sense. (And yes, simply saying pop shove it is fine if it’s not frontside)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2021, 06:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really don't :D Nollie and fakie feels to me the way the naming convention are - I actually find it rather fascinating how different fakie feels to nollie (as in it doesn't just feel mirrored)

I'm the same as you. About that last point, I think it's just a good demonstration of how one mentally perceives things will affect what they actually do in the real world.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2021, 06:31:03 AM »
Are you guys fucking goldfish, how is there constantly new multiple page threads about this?

somefucker

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2021, 06:34:08 AM »
Everything is relative to regular stance, nollie was never defined as switch fakie and vice versa even though geometrically speaking that is the case.

So nollie and fakie rotate in the same direction as regular, and switch is simply the mirror of regular.

If you want to use the blindside argument, you have to also note that fakie is defined as riding backwards, the way you're facing is actually the way you came from, not the way you're rolling like with nollie tricks where you're facing forwards in the direction you're going. So when you do a frontside half cab, in the middle of the rotation, your body is open to the way you came from. Feel free to disagree with this premise, but if you accept it, the way we define fakie rotations is logically sound.

All this nomenclature originated from surfing and transition before street and switch skating existed. If we started from a blank slate today and renamed everything, maybe we could come up with a lexicon that is a bit more consistent and intuitive for modern street skating. I personally think the more logically egregious trick names are the fakie slide tricks. The nollie/fakie 180 situation is pretty easily justified if you accept the premise above.

At the end of the day, trick nomenclature was developed over decades by a bunch of stoners. As much as I like to argue about it for fun, it should be seen as colloquial, not axiomatic. Like the english language, there are many inconsistencies and things that just don't make sense but we accept it anyway. Trying to renovate the system to be mathematically airtight is futile and will only confuse people more.

Approach ALL tricks with this mindset and you can't misname the trick. Also agree with whoever said cabs apply to fakie only.

The only time it 'switches' is when you're skating switch. And I mean switch. I.e. the rotation of your body FS/BS when switch is going to obviously be different than when you skate regular/fakie/nollie. But that appears to be confusing a decent amount of ya'll.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2021, 06:39:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm the same as you. About that last point, I think it's just a good demonstration of how one mentally perceives things will affect what they actually do in the real world.

To me a nollie backside flip feels like I am doing a switch frontside flip riding backwards.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2021, 06:53:50 AM »
This is so confusing to me,  so a frontside 180 your face faces forward as you rotate, an Nollie frontside 180 your face faces forward, but a fakie frontside 180 (keeping cab out of it just for clarity) your back faces forward as you rotate?  Is this correct?   And then a switch frontside 180 your face faces forward as you rotate?  Right?  Please help me out here folks!

Seriously been skating for over 25 years and I just started to figure this out like a year ago and am still just confused

unfortunately yes and this is why 99% of the skate population is clown, it makes no sense dude. I actually just started saying Fakie Blind Side 180 Heel flip / Half Cab Heelflip to people because i refuse to say "Frontside halfcab" or calling that a fakie frontside 180. its blind. it would have made more sense if people would have just started off with clockwise / counter clockwise. it is hialrious how many people back this shitty argument that "its relative to your regular stance" that is the most lame brained, simple minded shit i have ever heard besides people calling an eigth a "half quarter"

if you just
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've always felt that the trick naming system made sense if you follow certain rules, but there are inconsistencies because of exceptions to the rules people have made in naming tricks for one reason or another.

-regular stance: fs and bs spins, obstacle is either fs or bs of you.  Pretty self explanatory
-nollie: exact same rules as regular stance. Just because you pop off the nose doesn't mean naming changes
-fakie: You have to pretend you're going "backwards."  That's why spin direction is opposite but obstacle direction stays the same. This is a big one that people like to give exceptions for ("fakie bs tailslide" sounds harder but incorrectly named based on the rule).
-switch: Exactly the same as regular, the rule assumes that you now skate in the opposite stance.
[close]
So it's fakie Ollie to regular back tailslide fakie Ollie to back lip shortened to fakie back tail fakie lip etc
[close]
I don’t know why we can’t just call slides and grinds based on where it is in relation to you.  If you’re facing the ledge it should always be fs. 

?? that is how it is. a fs hurricane is tagged as a "bs 180 into feeble" but the rail is in front of you. not gonna argue about the symantics of these fakie grinds and how incosistent that is as well. that is a ccomplete fucking shit show this fakie 5-0 and fakie nosegrind madness (a fakie nosegrind is a fakie ollie into a switch 5-0 lets just call it what it is. you call a nollie nosegrind a nollie into a regular nose grind but then when you go fakie that all goes out the window because most people do fakie tricks off their tail and nollie tricks off their nose (i think is also stupid because your nose is meant to be shaped a certain way to scoop off it better) i do my fakie tricks off the nose LIKE A BOSS

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

To me a nollie backside flip feels like I am doing a switch frontside flip riding backwards.

Well I can't do either ss fs flips or nollie backside flips (so I can't really comment on that), but for other tricks (bigspins for example), once you add movement to the trick, it is just a completely other playing field in the way my brain works :=

somefucker

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2021, 07:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
This is so confusing to me,  so a frontside 180 your face faces forward as you rotate, an Nollie frontside 180 your face faces forward, but a fakie frontside 180 (keeping cab out of it just for clarity) your back faces forward as you rotate?  Is this correct?   And then a switch frontside 180 your face faces forward as you rotate?  Right?  Please help me out here folks!

Seriously been skating for over 25 years and I just started to figure this out like a year ago and am still just confused
[close]

unfortunately yes and this is why 99% of the skate population is clown, it makes no sense dude. I actually just started saying Fakie Blind Side 180 Heel flip / Half Cab Heelflip to people because i refuse to say "Frontside halfcab" or calling that a fakie frontside 180. its blind. it would have made more sense if people would have just started off with clockwise / counter clockwise. it is hialrious how many people back this shitty argument that "its relative to your regular stance" that is the most lame brained, simple minded shit i have ever heard besides people calling an eigth a "half quarter"

if you just
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I don’t know why we can’t just call slides and grinds based on where it is in relation to you.  If you’re facing the ledge it should always be fs. 
[close]

?? that is how it is. a fs hurricane is tagged as a "bs 180 into feeble" but the rail is in front of you. not gonna argue about the symantics of these fakie grinds and how incosistent that is as well. that is a ccomplete fucking shit show this fakie 5-0 and fakie nosegrind madness (a fakie nosegrind is a fakie ollie into a switch 5-0 lets just call it what it is. you call a nollie nosegrind a nollie into a regular nose grind but then when you go fakie that all goes out the window because most people do fakie tricks off their tail and nollie tricks off their nose (i think is also stupid because your nose is meant to be shaped a certain way to scoop off it better) i do my fakie tricks off the nose LIKE A BOSS

This is an example of a good troll post.

It makes sense and it's not that hard, can you not picture yourself doing a fs 180 and then rolling backwards and doing the same motion? Why would that change the rotation to bs? just because you can't see? do you wipe blindside????

same with the grinds. it's a fakie fs 5-0 because if you do a fs 5-0 going backwards it's still a fs 5-0.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2021, 07:12:58 AM »
Lol dude the issue is not whether or not i get it. I understand this view point you all have of it being relative to your regular stance. i BEEN got it.

the issue is, its hard to follow for anyone who doesnt skate / is trying to learn about it because its not logical. you have 3 stances that all follow a pattern, but then 1 is an exception. i honestly dont see how you can make any argument about how that is easier to follow than what i have suggested by calling all blind side back side

or you could just say blind side and you are also describing the trick better but most skaters are way too cool guy to switch up the lingo like that , they dont wanna rock the boat too mcuh  8)

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
ableSkateMag.com

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »

the issue is, its hard to follow for anyone who doesnt skate / is trying to learn about it because its not logical.

I figured it out as a 13 year old with learning difficulties by reading a Transworld.  It's as logical as anything else is.
If people can't understand it they don't want to understand it.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2021, 07:56:22 AM »
I thought this was sorted on the first page by someone saying Fakie is reversed. Honestly, never understood what the confusion is about. Nollie is moving forward, directions apply in the same way as with any regular trick. Fakie is going backwards, hence rotation is named in the same way as the regular equivalent.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2021, 09:11:35 AM »
I have talked about this on the board before but I think its time to talk about it again because I truly would like to know if I am genuinely missing something or if most of the skateboard community is just full of stoners (pretty sure its the latter)

Listen, if you want to call a blind fakie 180 flip a "Fakie Frontside Flip" then Im willing to meet you half way on that. but if you are going to call that frontside, then you damn sure better be calling nollie half cabs backside, and those blind 180s frontside. otherwise its not consistent.

I'm dying over here that you went so far as to make a video saying the all the skate media professionals and pro skaters have this wrong. Bahahahahaha.

How some people can't grasp the basics of skateboarding is beyond me, but it's entertaining. Lol.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2021, 09:19:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Fakie crook is the commonly used name, but it is actually short for fakie ollie to switch crook which is perfectly fine logically, just too much of a mouthful.

The "one cannot change his stance after popping" rule is stupid as fuck. I get the intention, but there's so many exceptions to this rule and any 180 in trick requires it by default so why even bother having this limitation.

You could call a fakie 5-0 a fakie ollie to switch nosegrind, a fakie nosegrind a fakie ollie into a switch 5-0... wouldn't be technically incorrect and makes sense logically too.

Though in these two cases fakie 5-0 and fakie nosegrind are easy and intuitive enough that there's no need to use the "fakie to switch ___" approach which only makes it unnecessarily weird and complicated.

Technically, calling the pinchy version a 'fakie suski' is correct, but it just feels off on a visceral level, so we call it fakie ollie to switch crook, which has now been shortened to fakie crook.
This is actually kinda fun, we all are correct & wrong at the same time b/c tricks are mostly named  by stoner kids decades ago. Can you tell me why the fuck that can’t be fakie ollie to switch willy, based on your logic other than being too ”mouthful”? I know there are basic rules, and to make things more complicated we have a totally different skate jargon in non-english speaking countries ;D Like 180 to fakie nosegrind ( or 180 to ss 5-0 if you prefer that) is called ”Chink”, I guess from chink-chinks?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

somefucker

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2021, 09:40:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I have talked about this on the board before but I think its time to talk about it again because I truly would like to know if I am genuinely missing something or if most of the skateboard community is just full of stoners (pretty sure its the latter)

Listen, if you want to call a blind fakie 180 flip a "Fakie Frontside Flip" then Im willing to meet you half way on that. but if you are going to call that frontside, then you damn sure better be calling nollie half cabs backside, and those blind 180s frontside. otherwise its not consistent.
[close]

I'm dying over here that you went so far as to make a video saying the all the skate media professionals and pro skaters have this wrong. Bahahahahaha.

How some people can't grasp the basics of skateboarding is beyond me, but it's entertaining. Lol.

LOL

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
Expand Quote
this goddamn argument..... honestly can do nothing but agree with the OP. If I pop a fakie half cab which is backside, how in the everloving fuck, if I literally have my feet in the same position as a halfcab, move my shoulders the same way as the  halfcab then pop and rotate like a half cab, is it frontside???? Yes, I have sat here stoned as fuck for hours imaginary popping my fingers like an idiot and still cannot think of a logical reason other than "its just the way it was when the trick was named".... if it looks like a half cab.... smells like a half cab.... acts like a half cab.... its frontside right?????? ::)
[close]

Because they're named based on the direction of rotation relative to the regular stance trick, not based on the fact that they look the similar.

Also if you move your shoulders in the same way as a backside half cab when popping nollie like you say, it would be clockwise (assuming you're regular), it would be a nollie backside 180... so you've really answered your own question here

I see what you're saying in terms of rotaion (clockwise/counter) and that honestly makes sense so thanks for that one. But I meant the feeling when popping the trick, a fakie backside 180 ( half cab) feels and pops the same as a nollie frontside 180 and vice versa...
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
This is actually kinda fun, we all are correct & wrong at the same time b/c tricks are mostly named  by stoner kids decades ago. Can you tell me why the fuck that can’t be fakie ollie to switch willy, based on your logic other than being too ”mouthful”? I know there are basic rules, and to make things more complicated we have a totally different skate jargon in non-english speaking countries ;D Like 180 to fakie nosegrind ( or 180 to ss 5-0 if you prefer that) is called ”Chink”, I guess from chink-chinks?

It could totally be a fakie ollie to switch willy. If you said that there would be no confusion and it makes perfect sense but I feel like enough people know of that trick as a fakie smith such that its the defacto name.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this goddamn argument..... honestly can do nothing but agree with the OP. If I pop a fakie half cab which is backside, how in the everloving fuck, if I literally have my feet in the same position as a halfcab, move my shoulders the same way as the  halfcab then pop and rotate like a half cab, is it frontside???? Yes, I have sat here stoned as fuck for hours imaginary popping my fingers like an idiot and still cannot think of a logical reason other than "its just the way it was when the trick was named".... if it looks like a half cab.... smells like a half cab.... acts like a half cab.... its frontside right?????? ::)
[close]

Because they're named based on the direction of rotation relative to the regular stance trick, not based on the fact that they look the similar.

Also if you move your shoulders in the same way as a backside half cab when popping nollie like you say, it would be clockwise (assuming you're regular), it would be a nollie backside 180... so you've really answered your own question here
[close]

I see what you're saying in terms of rotaion (clockwise/counter) and that honestly makes sense so thanks for that one. But I meant the feeling when popping the trick, a fakie backside 180 ( half cab) feels and pops the same as a nollie frontside 180 and vice versa...

Thats true but nollie isn't defined as 'switch fakie' even though thats true if you think about it mathematically and it 'feels' that way. Its merely a variation of regular tricks except you pop off the nose, and so we define its rotations that way.  It doesn't make much sense to name the nollie trick based on its 'feel' relative to a fakie counterpart when Frontside/Backside is literally referring to direction of rotation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:20:18 AM by tzhangdox »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
Lol dude the issue is not whether or not i get it. I understand this view point you all have of it being relative to your regular stance. i BEEN got it.

the issue is, its hard to follow for anyone who doesnt skate / is trying to learn about it because its not logical. you have 3 stances that all follow a pattern, but then 1 is an exception. i honestly dont see how you can make any argument about how that is easier to follow than what i have suggested by calling all blind side back side

or you could just say blind side and you are also describing the trick better but most skaters are way too cool guy to switch up the lingo like that , they dont wanna rock the boat too mcuh  8)

Says 99% of skaters are stoners, clowns and stupid... complains that a naming system that even middle schoolers understand is too complicated

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i hope you guys got a good laugh out of the vid ;) at the end of the day i know no one is going to agree with me and i really dont give a shit i just like to get fired up over stuff like this from time to time  ;D ;D ;D