Author Topic: Nollie bs 180 vs Fakie "Frontside" 180 inconsistencies  (Read 4275 times)

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
Re: Nollie bs 180 vs Fakie "Frontside" 180 inconsistencies
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 05:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
didn't Cab himself say Cabellerials are only backside? There is no "frontside" cab.
[close]

Quite the opposite.

So Cabellerials are only frontside, there is no "backside" Cab. Got it.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Algar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »
This is so confusing to me,  so a frontside 180 your face faces forward as you rotate, an Nollie frontside 180 your face faces forward, but a fakie frontside 180 (keeping cab out of it just for clarity) your back faces forward as you rotate?  Is this correct?   And then a switch frontside 180 your face faces forward as you rotate?  Right?  Please help me out here folks!

Seriously been skating for over 25 years and I just started to figure this out like a year ago and am still just confused

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 05:53:45 PM »
Am too stoned for this right now but on the real homie. I like your threads the bests . Real skaterat shit. Respects
Have a gnar for enjoying da Ganga brudah! Respect mahn

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 05:56:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
didn't Cab himself say Cabellerials are only backside? There is no "frontside" cab.
[close]

Quite the opposite.
[close]

So Cabellerials are only frontside, there is no "backside" Cab. Got it.

Quite the opposite of the latter statement.   That  "there is no frontside cab".  My apologies for the confusion there. 

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 08:36:16 PM »
I only bother naming the tricks if they don't involve rotations in nollie and fakie stance.

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 09:58:44 PM »
In my opinion (highly educated) if you use your fingers when explaining the tricks to your friends and then botch the trick names they almost always know wtf youre saying

Something to think about.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »

If you want to use the blindside argument, you have to also note that fakie is defined as riding backwards, the way you're facing is actually the way you came from, not the way you're rolling like with nollie tricks where you're facing forwards in the direction you're going. So when you do a frontside half cab, in the middle of the rotation, your body is open to the way you came from. Feel free to disagree with this premise, but if you accept it, the way we define fakie rotations is logically sound.

this was incredibly clarifying. i had to read it twice to really get the core premise (the point about riding backwards meaning your "facing" backwards, etc), but this really explained it.

and i think that this in relation to surfing--backside or frontside in relation to the face of the wave--is super interesting. adding objects like ledges/rails/etc to the mix maybe shows where the connection to surfing ends? I'm thinking of how a backside 180 makes sense with the faciing forward logic (you're turning backside), but a frontside noseslide, which involves the same motion, is frontside in relation to the obstacle. It's interestinig because "frontside in relation to the obstacle" seems like it takes us back to the surfing framework . . .

i'm confusing myself, but there's still something very clarifying about your post. thank you!

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 138
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 11:36:19 PM »
I get the impression that people who don’t know the difference between fakie and nollie tricks are the same ones who use the terms “full Cab” and “frontside Indy.”

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2021, 12:12:19 AM »
I found it funny that every 6months this same topic got bring out and it’s always several pages. I guess I had solid crew of older skaters around me as a kid because this was one of the first things I learned after basic trick names. When I think about them, I always thinking myself popping that trick over something,and freeze at 90 degrees, which way your face is looking mirroring to regular stance? Bs ollie and bs nollie, same movement. Fakie fucks things up but that’s just the way it is, we can’t live in perfect world.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 03:19:32 AM »
Quite an ego to make a video explaining how it's all the skate magazines are wrong and not you
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2021, 03:51:12 AM »
While the explanation has been written almost in the start of this thread, I'd like to move it in a little different direction. I learned the naming conventions very early on (because I had to learn how to skate from instructions books that was written in the late 80s, which was at my local library), but it didn't really click with me, before I began to be better at doing nollie tricks. For a long time I always thought of nollie as the switch equivalent to switch fakie, but in reality, nollie feels nothing like mirrored fakie tricks. It's a whole other domain, and I think this is one of the aspects of skating that is hardest for me to explain to people who haven't skated themselves.

Funny enough switch do feel more like a mirrored harder version of your regular stance... These are questions that keep me up at night  ;D

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2021, 07:29:04 AM »
There's only one skate mag left.....just give it a few years and THEN go and re-write history with your switch nollies....

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2021, 07:56:40 AM »
if you approach a ledge fakie and fakie ollie into a front tailslide, is that a fakie switch front nose or fakie fs tail?
My brain broke
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
We need NeuraLink so we can share the visual without the need for words

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote
if you approach a ledge fakie and fakie ollie into a front tailslide, is that a fakie switch front nose or fakie fs tail?
[close]
My brain broke

If you approach the ledge with your back in fakie stance, it would be a fakie ollie to sw bs noseslide. but I think it is easier to just say fakie front tail.
IG: @flowterspace

stillcantreflip

• Rep: -11
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

If you approach the ledge with your back in fakie stance, it would be a fakie ollie to sw bs noseslide. but I think it is easier to just say fakie front tail.

yeah my mistake on fs nose should have been bs, but yeah fakie front tail sounds nice

Brguy

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 09:35:40 PM »
How lazy or anal you gotta be to complain about this shit? Just learn the terminology and quit being a pain in the ass, it's not like people are going to change something because someone whined enough about it.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2021, 11:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

I’ve been told that one cannot change his stance after popping, if you are popping from fakie you have to land on some sort of fakie trick…. Think of fakie 5-0, it’s not fakie ollie to ss nosegrind right? Altho I agree, terminology is what it is and we just have to deal with it.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

foureyedjim

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2021, 11:32:31 PM »
I've always felt that the trick naming system made sense if you follow certain rules, but there are inconsistencies because of exceptions to the rules people have made in naming tricks for one reason or another.

-regular stance: fs and bs spins, obstacle is either fs or bs of you.  Pretty self explanatory
-nollie: exact same rules as regular stance. Just because you pop off the nose doesn't mean naming changes
-fakie: You have to pretend you're going "backwards."  That's why spin direction is opposite but obstacle direction stays the same. This is a big one that people like to give exceptions for ("fakie bs tailslide" sounds harder but incorrectly named based on the rule).
-switch: Exactly the same as regular, the rule assumes that you now skate in the opposite stance.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2021, 01:59:53 AM »
I've always felt that the trick naming system made sense if you follow certain rules, but there are inconsistencies because of exceptions to the rules people have made in naming tricks for one reason or another.

-regular stance: fs and bs spins, obstacle is either fs or bs of you.  Pretty self explanatory
-nollie: exact same rules as regular stance. Just because you pop off the nose doesn't mean naming changes
-fakie: You have to pretend you're going "backwards."  That's why spin direction is opposite but obstacle direction stays the same. This is a big one that people like to give exceptions for ("fakie bs tailslide" sounds harder but incorrectly named based on the rule).
-switch: Exactly the same as regular, the rule assumes that you now skate in the opposite stance.
With slides for fakie it's fakie Ollie to whatever regular slide.
So it's fakie Ollie to regular back tailslide fakie Ollie to back lip shortened to fakie back tail fakie lip etc

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2021, 03:08:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

[close]
I’ve been told that one cannot change his stance after popping, if you are popping from fakie you have to land on some sort of fakie trick…. Think of fakie 5-0, it’s not fakie ollie to ss nosegrind right? Altho I agree, terminology is what it is and we just have to deal with it.

Yeah you're correct. It would be a fakie tailslide not a fakie ollie to switch noseslide
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2021, 03:32:36 AM »
Frontside Cab

Backside Cab

ableSkateMag.com

bugtown

• Rep: 47
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2021, 07:10:05 AM »
Quite an ego to make a video explaining how it's all the skate magazines are wrong and not you
ranting like a mad man debunking the new world order in a carpark with odd coloured shoe laces

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
My brain broke
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah you're correct. It would be a fakie tailslide not a fakie ollie to switch noseslide

What if you turned your shoulders less and your back truck landed crookedly.....and you're grinding!  Now what do you call it????

Definitely not a fakie suski.....even if it's right?  It's wrong...fakie  5-0?  The in is right, but the description of the grind is vague...switch nollie crook?  We're not doing that either?  The correct answer is fakie ollie switch crook......maybe not the perfect answer...but the best one. 

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »
damn. SLAP board is officially dead.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 138
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2021, 11:41:29 AM »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »
A dude wrote an essay on it but it's too long so I didn't read it. It's in German so perhaps some of the German pals fancy a read.

https://www.titus.de/blog/news/frontside-vs-backside-eine-wissenschaftliche-analyse/
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 128
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2021, 12:29:29 PM »
How lazy or anal you gotta be to complain about this shit? Just learn the terminology
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

drcroc

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »
I respect someone who says "Fake frontside 180" more than the whole "FS Halfcab" nonsense. 

The major tripping point is that the "Cab" turn shouldn't have been extended in it's namesake beyond what it is, which is a fakie 360. I don't even think calling a cab a... "fakie backside 360" is even necessary because when you do shuvits you never say "backside shuvit" it's just a shuv.  That's my take.

jay006006

• Rep: -1
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2021, 06:12:20 PM »
The real question is about pop shuvits. A nollie fs shuv spins the same way as a switch bs shuv. A hard flip is a fs shuv and a kick flip right? So then isn’t what someone would call a nollie Varial flip technically a nollie hard flip? :o :o