Author Topic: Simon Bannerot - gnarly bs hurricane  (Read 5048 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: Simon Bannerot - gnarly bs hurricane
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2020, 06:36:17 PM »
pretty sure it's the same spot Simon had that absurd wallride in that latest Girl video, so interesting that he also apparently got this and didn't make the vid.

full Simon Bannerot part coming?

Yup. Same spot. Garfield

Glurmpz

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »
To clarify my point a bit more - It seems a lot of people view riding fakie more as going backwards, instead of just the other direction. If you tell yourself that riding away from something fakie is harder, then it's probably gonna feel that way too. I couldn't blunt fakie forever on transition, and it was getting rid of the 'I'm riding backwards' mindset that was the trick to learning it. I do back noseblunts on stuff, and I almost always revert around to fakie because it's just easier for me than coming in straight. Is it possible that those who view a blunt fakie as a harder trick may not be strong switch skaters themselves? I'm genuinely curious about this one...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
Expand Quote
2:55

[close]

havnt seen that before, absolutely mental

Watch the entire video and you'll forget it.....

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2020, 08:07:05 PM »
To clarify my point a bit more - It seems a lot of people view riding fakie more as going backwards, instead of just the other direction. If you tell yourself that riding away from something fakie is harder, then it's probably gonna feel that way too. I couldn't blunt fakie forever on transition, and it was getting rid of the 'I'm riding backwards' mindset that was the trick to learning it. I do back noseblunts on stuff, and I almost always revert around to fakie because it's just easier for me than coming in straight. Is it possible that those who view a blunt fakie as a harder trick may not be strong switch skaters themselves? I'm genuinely curious about this one...

I see where you're coming from but I agree that going down to fakie would be way scarier here, if only because there's the angle between bank and wallride that has to be cleared riding down at this spot, which seems much harder switch. The fact that no one has done anything to fakie on the top (to my knowledge?), while quite a few other tricks have been done, would seem to support this.

I once dislocated my elbow on a steep bank coming back down to fakie after doing several fs ollies no problem though, so I might be biased.

So you don't feel like riding backwards when you do tricks to fakie? I'd love to learn that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:36:08 PM by RoaryMcTwang »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
Seeing this spot around a bunch. a BMX bro recently tail whipped it.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »
Some real jock shit going on with this argument.
Anything up and back down this is mental. Switch back noseblunt would be cool  ;D

goddamnyou

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
jimi hendrix's highschool

waffle

• Rep: 126
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »

I do agree that blunt fakies are basically setup tricks on most ramps, but under a certain height the two are effectively  exchangeable in ease. And it’s worth mentioning that basically nobody skating that ramp has issues doing either blunt fakies or noseblunts.

But blunt fakie is hands-down way scarier on this ramp - there’s a reason nobody really does tricks to fakie on it, despite many of the best transition skaters living literally two miles away (at a house with a vert ramp, no less  😂).

Glurmpz

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 12:12:11 AM »
Well this has been interesting. I genuinely would never have thought the idea of riding away fakie was enough to make a blunt scarier and harder than a backside noseblunt on the same obstacle, but I understand what those of you who feel that way are saying.

Does this mean, in a contest scenario for example, you would judge a blunt fakie on a bank to wall higher than a backside noseblunt on the same thing?

waffle

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2020, 12:31:44 AM »
Well this has been interesting. I genuinely would never have thought the idea of riding away fakie was enough to make a blunt scarier and harder than a backside noseblunt on the same obstacle, but I understand what those of you who feel that way are saying.

Does this mean, in a contest scenario for example, you would judge a blunt fakie on a bank to wall higher than a backside noseblunt on the same thing?

Just as with this, it would completely depend on the bank to wall.

A pivot to fakie is easier than both of those tricks, but still way gnarlier to do on this wall than either of those.

Glurmpz

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 01:43:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just as with this, it would completely depend on the bank to wall.

A pivot to fakie is easier than both of those tricks, but still way gnarlier to do on this wall than either of those.

Yeah, a pivot fakie would be scary as shit on that since you're more likely to just turn in instead of popping in to fakie. That thing is 3 times the height of anything I ever hit though so I honestly can't say. All I can speak for is my own experience in which a blunt fakie has always been easier than a back noseblunt. I can't think of any scenario where that would change for me. 

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2020, 04:51:26 AM »
Going fakie or regular
Blunt or noseblunt
I would not try anything on this spot because it looks dangerous. 

I would like to see the spot in person to be honest just to realize how good skateboarders are. (I live in Paris so I probably see less pro skaters as a person living in California)

So yeah this spot is gnarly. Damn imagine you are getting towed into a wall by a motorcycle, few milliseconds later you are wallriding, you are approaching the top, you are thinking about your trick. OK you successfully locked your back noseblunt, now think about landing the trick into that wall. Adrenaline kick for sure.

Writing this little breakdown I realized how gnarly it was, I understand that grinding or jumping El Toro is gnarly but somehow you have « time » to think. Here you need balls + quick feet + quick reactions.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2020, 05:33:36 AM »
If we're being picky sw bs noseblunt tre in to cross-legged would be up there

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2020, 08:56:07 AM »
you're not a real skateboarder unless you can do a switch blindside flip in trick at this spot.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
i got towed in by a motorcycle here and couldn’t even make it up to the wall portion
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn! Can't wait to see the footage. I feel like I've seen other tricks at this spot. Maybe Colllin?
[close]

it's been in a ton of stuff, there's the famous stair set on the other side. Garfield High School but it's technically Medgar Evers Pool.

it's been on KOTR and anytime a team comes through the NW they stop there

this is fucked though
[close]
Thanks! There's a few more tricks that went down here I'm trying to remember. Maybe even Cobra. Invert is scary to think about.

[close]

Did cobra do kicky bs wall ride?

Bs wallride kickflip out at 1:49

waffle

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn! Can't wait to see the footage. I feel like I've seen other tricks at this spot. Maybe Colllin?
[close]

it's been in a ton of stuff, there's the famous stair set on the other side. Garfield High School but it's technically Medgar Evers Pool.

this is fucked though
[close]
Thanks! There's a few more tricks that went down here I'm trying to remember. Maybe even Cobra. Invert is scary to think about.

[close]

[close]

Max Holbein the first to spark it off with a fs grind.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »

2:31 kickflip fakie
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is fucked though
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I remember being blown away by that. What’s that footage in?

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2020, 10:00:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is fucked though
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I remember being blown away by that. What’s that footage in?
last trick
didn't mean to start this debate lol. the way i look at it, blunt fakie is immensely easier on smaller/medium transition. but when we're talking about massive transition (fuck it does a giant wall even count as transition?) i think there's so much more that can go wrong doing a blunt fakie. as we saw with nick, someone that's a coordinated transition skater can fairly "easily" run out and recover from a back noseblunt. i dont think you can do that with a blunt fakie
also yeah can't find the footage of nolan's back boneless anymore. i cant imagine standing up there in the back boneless position, and fucking jumping back in. terrifying

Glurmpz

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2020, 10:16:54 PM »
I guess agree to disagree. I do not see the logic in a blunt fakie being harder than a back noseblunt. It only makes sense to me if you are a person who is not comfortable riding switch.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:55:39 PM by Glurmpz »

bo bice

• Rep: 88
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2020, 11:04:01 PM »
has anyone done even a rock to fakie yet? Seems like that would be one of the first to get scratched off. My 2 cents: blunt fakie would be gnarlier than bs noseblunt but both are incomprehensible

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • dog stuff
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2020, 01:28:52 AM »
I guess agree to disagree. I do not see the logic in a blunt fakie being harder than a back noseblunt. It only makes sense to me if you are a person who is not comfortable riding switch.

isn't that the point of switch? that it's less comfortable?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2020, 03:25:07 AM »
Casper 3:22

Mongoloid

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:09 AM »
Sick, and put me down in the blunt fakie “hell no” category. The idea of rolling down that switch, and hitting the bank’s “kink” switch is utterly terrifying.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:42:32 AM by Mongoloid »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »
This is a classic, 'what's harder, the in or the out?' debate...

I can see how going in fakie is nuts but doesn't everyone know someone that can blunt fakie anything? Didn't Daewon blunt fakie some pole sticking out of the ground?  Can you imagine if he back noseblunted that? 

Until someone switch back noseblunts it to make everyone happy....this will continue....

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 08:21:29 AM »
how about half cab blunt fakie

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »
has anyone done even a rock to fakie yet? Seems like that would be one of the first to get scratched off. My 2 cents: blunt fakie would be gnarlier than bs noseblunt but both are incomprehensible
1:25

Glurmpz

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2020, 10:35:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
1:25

Dudes who are good at blunts could pop it in and ride it out exactly the same as that rock fakie.

Maybe I'm just oddly NOT comfortable popping straight in out of noseblunts? I always revert to fakie. I could never skate the thing at Garfield but if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to try a blunt fakie or a back noseblunt I'm sure as hell choosing the blunt fakie. 

coolman420

• Rep: -2
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2020, 10:38:29 AM »
A friend of mine did lien to tail back in 2013:

2:27