Author Topic: Kader on Nike  (Read 71955 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1081
Re: Kader on Nike
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
I suspect that, in this case, it doesn't mean much for someone like Nuge to be "on Baker". Like there's no contract, no obligation for footage or appear at a demo. It's probably mostly a gesture of goodwill towards one of the original Baker Boys that consists of printing a yearly run of 500 boards that say "NUGE" on them
[close]

Just looked through Bakers 2020 catalogs and Nuge had a pro board for each season. Seemed to get the majority of models than the other legacy pros like Dollin or Steamer.

I really never had a big interest in Nuge but judging from his parts and insta he seems like he's in a good place in his life with a good lady by his side. If he can kick it with Baker and Reynolds is still cool with him I see no problem with him having a spot on the team. Probably does more behind the scenes day to day stuff for Baker for all we know.

Yeah, I also kind of think that these people have “day jobs” in their companies, like how Gerwer works in the DLX office. This is probably some part of that arrangement
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I suspect that, in this case, it doesn't mean much for someone like Nuge to be "on Baker". Like there's no contract, no obligation for footage or appear at a demo. It's probably mostly a gesture of goodwill towards one of the original Baker Boys that consists of printing a yearly run of 500 boards that say "NUGE" on them
[close]

Just looked through Bakers 2020 catalogs and Nuge had a pro board for each season. Seemed to get the majority of models than the other legacy pros like Dollin or Steamer.

I really never had a big interest in Nuge but judging from his parts and insta he seems like he's in a good place in his life with a good lady by his side. If he can kick it with Baker and Reynolds is still cool with him I see no problem with him having a spot on the team. Probably does more behind the scenes day to day stuff for Baker for all we know.
[close]

Yeah, I also kind of think that these people have “day jobs” in their companies, like how Gerwer works in the DLX office. This is probably some part of that arrangement

I wouldn't be surprised if Nuge didn't get a base pay, but instead was working hourly doing sales and The Boss supplements his pay with board residuals.

mclovin1336

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #482 on: January 29, 2021, 06:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wouldn't be surprised if Nuge didn't get a base pay, but instead was working hourly doing sales and The Boss supplements his pay with board residuals.

Sounds like a reasonable concept to keep legends afloat in the industry.

conqueso

« Reply #483 on: January 29, 2021, 06:33:23 AM »
you think he doesn't get paid to work? thats ridiculous

nuge & fat theo > the rest of baker

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #484 on: January 29, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »
Nuge works at supreme la tho or is he still there?

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #485 on: January 29, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

fuck done winn
[close]
What a fucking dork.

I wanted to like him when they put him on baker 1000 years ago but he seems to just be a turd in a rock and roll costume. Let's be real, the only thing of note he's ever done is ollie el toro and that was 20 years ago. I remember watching his nine club to learn if I was missing something and that was pretty much all they had to cover.
[close]

I'll always remember him from this Thrasher article (or maybe it was Transworld) back in the day where he did the supposed "biggest kickflip" ever at that time. It was off of a white loading dock and over a flat gap (grass? dirt?) to street I believe. Maybe in Dekline's?

But thats alll I ever heard from him.. and I bet that gap has been switch tre'd by now.

sorryi'm little late to the party here. I remember footage of it......could it have been in a very late 411? i guess in duffs shoes at the time and i am pretty sure it was the same gap that auby taylor switch heelflipped as his ender (?) in his "auby's world" part!

Now i have a reason to watch that part again.....will report back if i find the nuge part too. Maybe someone can find that "Biggest Kickflip" article.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #486 on: January 29, 2021, 08:06:19 AM »
This one?

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #487 on: January 29, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
Nuge is probably one of those dudes that constantly moves a certain number of boards, they make a certain amount they sell cuz of his following, he gets board royalties and it doesn't really cost the company much to have him around. I'm guess no one gave a fuck about Dee boards and mixed with what looked like him just being stoned all the time and not getting any coverage they let him go. I think companies just can't have that good dude that produces videos parts anymore, you have to be doing other things, and getting instagram coverage, when I heard company dudes talking it almost seems like instagram clips are way more important, the videos are just a legacy thing

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #488 on: January 29, 2021, 09:32:03 AM »
This one?

damn I remember that. Remember Auby Taylors shock after the switch heel?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #489 on: January 29, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
Nuge is probably one of those dudes that constantly moves a certain number of boards, they make a certain amount they sell cuz of his following, he gets board royalties and it doesn't really cost the company much to have him around. I'm guess no one gave a fuck about Dee boards and mixed with what looked like him just being stoned all the time and not getting any coverage they let him go. I think companies just can't have that good dude that produces videos parts anymore, you have to be doing other things, and getting instagram coverage, when I heard company dudes talking it almost seems like instagram clips are way more important, the videos are just a legacy thing
This seems like skateboarding as a professional is completely changing. Not saying for better or worse but pros used to sell boards for partying. “Yo he smokes mad weed and still can switch tre a set” I always viewed pro skateboarding as rock n roll but not so much anymore.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #490 on: January 29, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
That Nuge kickflip you guys are talking about is at the end of the friends montage section in TWS' Let's Do This. It wasn't from any Nuge part, as far as I'm aware.
Super Champion Fun Zone

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #491 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This seems like skateboarding as a professional is completely changing. Not saying for better or worse but pros used to sell boards for partying. “Yo he smokes mad weed and still can switch tre a set” I always viewed pro skateboarding as rock n roll but not so much anymore.

skateboarding of hellride, on heckride

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #492 on: January 29, 2021, 01:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
This one?

[close]

EXACTLY!

just found it on youtube too and watched auby's part again- off topic but that part would be fucked up to drop today to me!

I been looking for nuge's kickflip in the 411 vids but didn't ge lucky, just typed in "nuge kickflip" and there it was!

it is the same gap though it seems and that shit was biiig....the shock after auby's switch heel, man!

So did anything else go down that gap since auby?

Props for all the detective work to everybody contributing- i need to go pal to finally gnar you guys!

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #493 on: January 29, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
auby taylor is so goddamn cool. 100% doing his own thing these days

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #494 on: January 29, 2021, 02:33:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Oh fuck I forgot. Long live heckride!!! I just drank a kombucha bc my hernia doesn’t let me have alcohol. Heckride enough?

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #495 on: January 30, 2021, 06:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Oh fuck I forgot. Long live heckride!!! I just drank a kombucha bc my hernia doesn’t let me have alcohol. Heckride enough?

I drank some semi sweet tea last night before bed. I also heckride!

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #496 on: January 30, 2021, 06:43:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I drank some semi sweet tea last night before bed. I also heckride!

I’ve caught a buzz off Kombucha before. Because it is fermented it has a small amount of alcohol. Gonna get mildly buzzed up tonight!

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #497 on: January 30, 2021, 06:52:21 AM »

so Nuge has a following that buys boards regularly, but SZA, Lenoce, Dee and Cyril do not?

press X to doubt

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #498 on: January 30, 2021, 07:00:13 AM »
In what world does nuge have a real serious following? Like I said I fucks wit the nuge, but let’s be real here fellas. Worked in a shop on and off for almost a decade, and I’d assume the amount of nuge boards I’ve gripped is less than baca boards. In jersey atleast, maybe nuge has a following in the Midwest I don’t know about. But that ain’t it.

I’m not on Ig, is kader wearing dunks or shelltoes today?

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #499 on: January 30, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This one?

[close]

[close]

EXACTLY!

just found it on youtube too and watched auby's part again- off topic but that part would be fucked up to drop today to me!

I been looking for nuge's kickflip in the 411 vids but didn't ge lucky, just typed in "nuge kickflip" and there it was!

it is the same gap though it seems and that shit was biiig....the shock after auby's switch heel, man!

So did anything else go down that gap since auby?

Props for all the detective work to everybody contributing- i need to go pal to finally gnar you guys!

Damn havent been on this thread in a few days but you guys found it all! Thanks SLAP.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #500 on: January 31, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
i remember hearing nuge was only still pro bc of volume 4 or something years agoq. but isnt that shit no longer even being done through bakerboys/ at all? i fucks with nuge yall know me, but theres no way kids give a single shit about him and want his boards. i honestly wonder whats keeping him at this point. what actually happening with donta? too into boxing for reynolds or some shit

free max b
[close]

Pretty sure he's been off for years, since not that long after he had that part in that Baker promo. Not sure what the deal was there, I thought Donta's part in that was really sick and I thought he was a good addition to the team.

I wondered the same thing recently because I also fuck with Donta. I went back and watched the Baker Am video with Donta, Kader and Zach Allen. Donta didn't really have that much footage in it, certainly not half as much as the other two. Looked at his instagram, and it's a hell of a lot of skating the same really small scale park. Watched the Jenkem interview with him where he's doing boxing, skating, modelling, etc....

You get what I'm saying: I reckon he just wasn't producing enough quality footage and wasn't seen to be concentrating on his skateboarding enough to warrant a Baker sponsorship. Seems a bit of a waste, because he's not likely to go as far with his boxing as he could have gone with Baker if he focused, but he's modelling with some big companies and seems to be doing well with that. I wish him all the best.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #501 on: February 03, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #502 on: February 04, 2021, 03:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so Nuge has a following that buys boards regularly, but SZA, Lenoce, Dee and Cyril do not?

press X to doubt

I mean SZA & Lenoce is probably a different kettle of fish tbh. However, for the more recent guys like Dee and Cyril, I think it's the fact that they are in their prime, and if you're comparing prime pro board sales with that of an older dude who spends most of his time working behind the scenes or at supreme like previously stated then that's an issue.

Realistically if their board sales aren't touching within the region of Kader, Tyson, T-funk & Rowan then hell yeah it's a problem. But honestly I think the main problem is that Dee and Cyril are just a product of Baker's 'lull' period before the slight shift of rebranding.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #503 on: February 04, 2021, 03:46:35 AM »
Pro boards are a bit different now. I buy based on dimensions. Graphic and the name on the board come next in order of importance. Now, the pro’s name is more likely to be under the griptape anyway, in the case of Baker and Hockey.

Also, Kader’s Ollie over the unsuspecting citizen in that Tristan Warren vid was pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 03:55:04 AM by Croquet temper »

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2021, 04:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i remember hearing nuge was only still pro bc of volume 4 or something years agoq. but isnt that shit no longer even being done through bakerboys/ at all? i fucks with nuge yall know me, but theres no way kids give a single shit about him and want his boards. i honestly wonder whats keeping him at this point. what actually happening with donta? too into boxing for reynolds or some shit

free max b
[close]

Pretty sure he's been off for years, since not that long after he had that part in that Baker promo. Not sure what the deal was there, I thought Donta's part in that was really sick and I thought he was a good addition to the team.
[close]

I wondered the same thing recently because I also fuck with Donta. I went back and watched the Baker Am video with Donta, Kader and Zach Allen. Donta didn't really have that much footage in it, certainly not half as much as the other two. Looked at his instagram, and it's a hell of a lot of skating the same really small scale park. Watched the Jenkem interview with him where he's doing boxing, skating, modelling, etc....

You get what I'm saying: I reckon he just wasn't producing enough quality footage and wasn't seen to be concentrating on his skateboarding enough to warrant a Baker sponsorship. Seems a bit of a waste, because he's not likely to go as far with his boxing as he could have gone with Baker if he focused, but he's modelling with some big companies and seems to be doing well with that. I wish him all the best.

Boxing and modeling is a hell of a combo. Better be REALLY good at the first one or the second one won’t last.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2021, 06:32:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

True but if we're talking the smart decision he should go all in on modeling, really. It's just as flimsy of a career as skating and boxing but easy money and no lifelong injuries or pain to deal with

Grind King Rims

« Reply #506 on: February 04, 2021, 09:06:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

[close]

Boxing and modeling is a hell of a combo. Better be REALLY good at the first one or the second one won’t last.

Hahahaha, very good. I never considered that, tbh.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #507 on: February 04, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

[close]

True but if we're talking the smart decision he should go all in on modeling, really. It's just as flimsy of a career as skating and boxing but easy money and no lifelong injuries or pain to deal with

I guess he'd want to consider his merit in each field.

*cue baseball movie music*

Now I don't know nothing about modelling, but I imagine there's only so "good" you can get at it. With skateboarding, he is/was offering something fairly unique, and with exactly the right team to bring that out of someone. It seems to me that modelling is the safe and easy choice, for sure, but skateboarding is/was a gamble that could have brought greater opportunities (or way worse ones). It depends on what you put into it.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #508 on: February 19, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »
Yo anyone else see Kader in adidas in the latest supreme in atlanta post? LOL
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #509 on: February 19, 2021, 06:43:37 PM »
Yo anyone else see Kader in adidas in the latest supreme in atlanta post? LOL

Yeah what the fuck hahah it’d be funny if this dude is just burning every bridge before he’s 20.
Suns out, im going skating. chow