Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 188442 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2250 on: September 28, 2022, 07:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Your friends new brand sucks.

Most brands are forgettable and disposable.

Just because you want to be creative and expressive through some brand or idea doesn't mean its valuable.

Not everyone gets to make money off what they love.

Keep your shitty ideas small until they turn into good ones that are worth the space they take up and the waste they create.

Sorry, there is an epidemic of kids starting "brands" in my area and its driving me nuts.
[close]

Agreed. Spend some years pursuing work with a genuine quality brand thats been around and actually learn some shit before just starting from nothing with nothing to offer
[close]

nah, fuck all this.

Take chances, do dumb shit, have fun. Starting a brand isn't something sacred. It's just some shit to do. If it sucks, atleast you had fun  hopefully learned something, so maybe when you're older you can start something that sucks less.
[close]

I agree with not being scared to try something, and it's ok to have shitty projects/make mistakes. People should def explore themselves and create things. What I'm saying is that people should be more critical of their own ideas, see them for what they are, and try not to blast them everywhere until the idea is worth doing that over. The amount of noise and waste is just overwhelming and I'm sick of it. 90% of these bullshit clothing brands are not worth the cotton they print their logos on. No I dont want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob.
[close]
Along these lines one of worst thing I've had to endure was going to a zine fare. Hundreds of fucking dorks trying to charge $50 for their shitty photography booklets. Incase you've never seen some black kids playing in a fire hydrant, some drunk Japanese salary men, some construction workers, homeless people, some teens (also black) playing basketball or sitting on a stool before luckily every single person thought to take a photo and print it out for you.
And to bring it back to skate related how many bolts companies do people think the world needs?

I can't even imagine, I would implode in a place like that.

EXTRA SPICY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2251 on: September 28, 2022, 07:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Just because you want to be creative and expressive through some brand or idea doesn't mean its valuable.

Keep your shitty ideas small until they turn into good ones that are worth the space they take up and the waste they create.

Sorry, there is an epidemic of kids starting "brands" in my area and its driving me nuts.
[close]

Agreed. Spend some years pursuing work with a genuine quality brand thats been around and actually learn some shit before just starting from nothing with nothing to offer
[close]

nah, fuck all this.

Take chances, do dumb shit, have fun. Starting a brand isn't something sacred. It's just some shit to do. If it sucks, atleast you had fun  hopefully learned something, so maybe when you're older you can start something that sucks less.
[close]

I agree with not being scared to try something, and it's ok to have shitty projects/make mistakes. People should def explore themselves and create things. What I'm saying is that people should be more critical of their own ideas, see them for what they are, and try not to blast them everywhere until the idea is worth doing that over. The amount of noise and waste is just overwhelming and I'm sick of it. 90% of these bullshit clothing brands are not worth the cotton they print their logos on. No I dont want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob.
[close]
Along these lines one of worst thing I've had to endure was going to a zine fare. Hundreds of fucking dorks trying to charge $50 for their shitty photography booklets. Incase you've never seen some black kids playing in a fire hydrant, some drunk Japanese salary men, some construction workers, homeless people, some teens (also black) playing basketball or sitting on a stool before luckily every single person thought to take a photo and print it out for you.
And to bring it back to skate related how many bolts companies do people think the world needs?
[close]

My wallet would implode. I do enjoy a good zine, but anything over 10$ is absurd.
(Shameless plug, @canopycover of IG)

Uhhhh unpopular opinion: photography is sick, but expensive cameras and the culture it creates blows. Shoot that shit on an old iPhone. If the content is good, and your skills are sharp, it looks just as sick. No needs to see another zoomed in shot of your local bird species that has already been done a thousand times over.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2252 on: September 28, 2022, 08:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

nah, fuck all this.

Getting some Ms. Frizzle vibes from you.

Dont

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2253 on: September 28, 2022, 08:09:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

nah, fuck all this.

[close]

[close]
[close]

It feels like convo is a echo chamber of negativity. I don’t have any friends who are starting a brand so I have no horse in this race but if you don’t like something all you have to do is not buy it. I’ve seen many of little passion projects become legitimate brands over the past decade.

I’m also well aware of pricing from attending zine shows but you know what? I’m sure at every event there’s some really good shit that you’ve overlooked because you’ve made a blanket assumption that theres only what you mentioned above. You don’t know everyone’s background, their motivation, or their potential that would come from a little support. It’s much easier to say this ___ is stupid than to make something from nothing.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2254 on: September 28, 2022, 08:17:23 AM »
Zine fares are sick. It's just loads of people doing their own thing and compiling their slice of life into a project. Too many haters here. I got some sick ones at the last one I went to. A lot of cool stuff from South East Asia. You'll find anything from mental health zines to stuff about radicalizing religion and challenging tradition to some boring cake recipe garbaggio. If you don't like that stuff aka the inner worlds of various people you're probably just downright callous, cold, and not worth a stick of cabana.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #2255 on: September 28, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »
Whole thing seems pretty pretentious in comparison to this place………

manysnakes

« Reply #2256 on: September 28, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »

This one I find truly baffling, because I think about and purchase hardware less frequently than any other component on a skateboard. Decent hardware lasts virtually forever, and the best stuff from someone like Independent Trucks costs literally $2.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #2257 on: September 28, 2022, 08:33:30 AM »
@Dont and @Sila guess you had to be there.

What you're saying is what I was hoping for but not what was on offer

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2258 on: September 28, 2022, 08:41:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This one I find truly baffling, because I think about and purchase hardware less frequently than any other component on a skateboard. Decent hardware lasts virtually forever, and the best stuff from someone like Independent Trucks costs literally $2.

Back this statement fully. Had the same 8 bolts going for the last 2 years

manysnakes

« Reply #2259 on: September 28, 2022, 08:53:48 AM »
how many "bolts" companies are there, though? three?

There are a ton of small bolt company brands which seem to exist only on Instagram.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #2260 on: September 28, 2022, 08:54:13 AM »
how many "bolts" companies are there, though? three?

Did a quick check on tactics and they sell 20 bolt brands.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2261 on: September 28, 2022, 08:56:37 AM »
No idea, as long as they’re an inch long, black and cheap as fuck i’m sold

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2262 on: September 28, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
nah, fuck all this.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

My wallet would implode. I do enjoy a good zine, but anything over 10$ is absurd.
(Shameless plug, @canopycover of IG)

Uhhhh unpopular opinion: photography is sick, but expensive cameras and the culture it creates blows. Shoot that shit on an old iPhone. If the content is good, and your skills are sharp, it looks just as sick. No needs to see another zoomed in shot of your local bird species that has already been done a thousand times over.

I'll take the local bird pic against the 1000 first #streetphotography posts on insta

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2263 on: September 28, 2022, 09:26:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

nah, fuck all this.

[close]

I agree with not being scared to try something, and it's ok to have shitty projects/make mistakes. People should def explore themselves and create things. What I'm saying is that people should be more critical of their own ideas, see them for what they are, and try not to blast them everywhere until the idea is worth doing that over. The amount of noise and waste is just overwhelming and I'm sick of it. 90% of these bullshit clothing brands are not worth the cotton they print their logos on. No I dont want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob, neither does anyone that knows you, they just dont have the heart to tell you it sucks.

Along those lines, someone should tell Jerry Hsu his brand sucks.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #2264 on: September 28, 2022, 09:42:41 AM »
Bolt company has got to be the cheapest and easiest way to start your own brand.
I'm sure for some, selling hardware is just an easy way to be an actual skateboard "hard-goods" brand so they can sell shirts, stickers etc. without having to be a strictly clothing/lifestyle company.
Also hardware is something a lot of people probably just snag whatever is cheap and available, so as long as your bolts are in the shop there's a chance you'll make sales.
The markup for hardware must be insane. Even if you only charge like $3 a set you're still making like 500% profit.

So yeah, I can see why a lot of people do it.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2265 on: September 28, 2022, 09:45:57 AM »
come on bro youre an adult just give your old decks away to local kids like everyone else does. helps out young rippers and your local shop. "but this board still has life in it" yeah then go give it to someone who skates more than curbs and miniramp 3 times a month.

I feel like this was directed at me. I give all my old boards away. I don’t skate them until they’re completely unusable unless I happen to break one.

I’ve also had many boards I just couldn’t get along with that I’ve given away in very good condition. Unfortunately the kids don’t usually skate bigger boards so it can be difficult to give someone truly in need a board suitable for them. Leaving old stuff at the park and it might get picked up by some hoarder.

I also try to donate my broken boards for someone’s art projects etc.

There’s no need to be blunt/offensive. Have a good day.

IpathCats

« Reply #2266 on: September 28, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »

It feels like convo is a echo chamber of negativity. I don’t have any friends who are starting a brand so I have no horse in this race but if you don’t like something all you have to do is not buy it. I’ve seen many of little passion projects become legitimate brands over the past decade.

I’m also well aware of pricing from attending zine shows but you know what? I’m sure at every event there’s some really good shit that you’ve overlooked because you’ve made a blanket assumption that theres only what you mentioned above. You don’t know everyone’s background, their motivation, or their potential that would come from a little support. It’s much easier to say this ___ is stupid than to make something from nothing.

Yea, you def go to zine fares.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #2267 on: September 28, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »
Bolt company has got to be the cheapest and easiest way to start your own brand.
I'm sure for some, selling hardware is just an easy way to be an actual skateboard "hard-goods" brand so they can sell shirts, stickers etc. without having to be a strictly clothing/lifestyle company.
Also hardware is something a lot of people probably just snag whatever is cheap and available, so as long as your bolts are in the shop there's a chance you'll make sales.
The markup for hardware must be insane. Even if you only charge like $3 a set you're still making like 500% profit.

exactly this, the only reason there are so many hardware brands is because it's an easy and cheap way to start a brand. boards cost a lot, apparel costs a lot, while you can get a bunch of hardware sets for under $100. hardware sets at wholesale prices still aren't cheap enough to make 500% profit at $3/set though.

zine fests are cool, at least the one i used to attend. it was always fun to meet people and trade zines, a lot of the stuff was good/interesting and only a couple bucks at most. though i think the crowd was on the dorkier side, no try-hard street photographer bobby dekeyzer types.

starting brands is fine, but i think things don't need to be made anymore, we have enough physical objects, let's use up what we have now.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2268 on: September 28, 2022, 10:50:27 AM »
Skateboarders are consumerist brats and have zero ecological awareness. The display of product and gear that are barely used by some pros makes me sick.
The new generation is even worse on that matter (Supreme crew, FA, Hardies dudes, etc.)

Ecology is very unpopular in the industry. The only people showing ecological awareness are considered very uncool in the culture (often rightfully so, but it's still a shame), with few exceptions.

Uncool :
- Cariuma (low carbon footprint is actually their main commercial argument)
- Element : no too sure as to where they stand, but with all the the fucking tree logos, they must have something going on (they made cruisers out of used boards at some point, they have nature camps...)
- Sole Tech and their Plant a Tree campaign.

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- pre #Metoo Kenny Anderson and his used oil-running car
- KA and Vincent Alvarez are among the few skaters I have heard talking about trying to make their board last
- pre hell-ride Evan Smith talked about that subject
- Sheep shoes
what differentiates them from the rest of the skate world besides a pre-determined narrative in your head?

IpathCats

« Reply #2269 on: September 28, 2022, 11:33:09 AM »

Along those lines, someone should tell Jerry Hsu his brand sucks.

I would sacrifice pizza, meow, monarch, the killing floor, thank you, the heart supply, plan b, roger, FA (not hockey), darkstar, zoo york (shame what happened to them), welcome (plenty of other better brands making shaped boards now), and santa cruz for Sci-Fi fantasy. And those are just the brands i could think of off the top of my head. I think jerry being a well loved pro and making boards with a cool art direction and desired shapes/sizes is enough to justify his brand as far as board brands go. I'm not even the biggest fan of SFF, but all those other brands dont do anything for me.

Side note, bought my friend a SFF shirt for his bday, it was very nice quality.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #2270 on: September 28, 2022, 12:14:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hardware sets at wholesale prices still aren't cheap enough to make 500% profit at $3/set though.

Haha...Might have been a bit of exaggeration to sell the point, but you know what I mean.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2271 on: September 28, 2022, 01:07:10 PM »
I’ll pay $30 for some titanium randoms with Silverado nuts……

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #2272 on: September 28, 2022, 01:11:50 PM »
Using the term "Goat" should be illegal.  As in you should be cancelled.   

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2273 on: September 28, 2022, 01:17:59 PM »
If this were the 90's, Butter Goods is Lee Pipes and Polar is JNCO. All the other brands are just the mall brands that finally have the fad after it has hit its peak.

manysnakes

« Reply #2274 on: September 28, 2022, 01:25:16 PM »
If this were the 90's, Butter Goods is Lee Pipes and Polar is JNCO. All the other brands are just the mall brands that finally have the fad after it has hit its peak.

e.g. https://www.jcrew.com/m/mens/categories/clothing/pants-and-chinos/chino/giant-fit-chino-pant/MP662?display=standard&fit=Classic&color_name=dusty-khaki&colorProductCode=BI521

thehogsniper

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2275 on: September 28, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

e.g. https://www.jcrew.com/m/mens/categories/clothing/pants-and-chinos/chino/giant-fit-chino-pant/MP662?display=standard&fit=Classic&color_name=dusty-khaki&colorProductCode=BI521
To be fair, JCrew only put this out because of their new creative director, Brendon Babenzien. It's his thing. It doesn't allign whatsoever with their prior marketing nor their average consumer. JCrew did all the oversized stuff back in the 80s. Mallcore as they are now, they're one of the OGs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2276 on: September 28, 2022, 01:36:19 PM »
Polar is New Deal no?  That’s been established….

Dont

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2277 on: September 28, 2022, 03:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cheeky! I don’t love or hate them but I just wish this discussion wasn’t so close minded about them / small brands. I’m kinda blown away that I need to tell skateboarders that it’s ok to do your own thing…

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #2278 on: September 28, 2022, 04:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Cheeky! I don’t love or hate them but I just wish this discussion wasn’t so close minded about them / small brands. I’m kinda blown away that I need to tell skateboarders that it’s ok to do your own thing…
When I brought up the zine fare it's because it wasn't people do their own thing. It was hipsters having a big circle jerk all doing the same thing, which happened to be treating the working class and poc as a novelty/way to make money.

IpathCats

« Reply #2279 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You didn't need to tell anyone that. Typical zone fare enthusiast, so pretentious.

When I brought up the zine fare it's because it wasn't people do their own thing. It was hipsters having a big circle jerk all doing the same thing, which happened to be treating the working class and poc as a novelty/way to make money.

This is the second or third time I've tried to gnar but couldn't again within 24 hrs.