Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945632 times)

sprained_ankle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9540 on: February 18, 2023, 11:59:55 AM »
Watched dumb and dumber and ace Ventura (but refuse to watch the mask) dumb and dumber is still funny ace Ventura has its moments but Jim Carrey is so annoying also it's barely even a movie how fast it all goes.

The general with Buster Keaton is also always good.

Smooookin'!

Somebody stop me!
hi,am new here

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #9541 on: February 18, 2023, 03:26:12 PM »
Watched dumb and dumber and ace Ventura (but refuse to watch the mask) dumb and dumber is still funny ace Ventura has its moments but Jim Carrey is so annoying also it's barely even a movie how fast it all goes.

Ace Ventura 2 is far superior to 1 for the rhino scene alone

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #9542 on: February 18, 2023, 10:07:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's the thing with the ace Ventura's it's just like Jim Carrey or whoever thought of 200 seperate "funny" things and just tried to jam them all into a movie. It makes sense as far as people bought tickets to laugh so take as many shots as possible but then a nerd like me can overthink it and be like why did he talk out of his ass for one minute? it has nothing to do with the story in any way

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9543 on: February 18, 2023, 10:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That's the thing with the ace Ventura's it's just like Jim Carrey or whoever thought of 200 seperate "funny" things and just tried to jam them all into a movie. It makes sense as far as people bought tickets to laugh so take as many shots as possible but then a nerd like me can overthink it and be like why did he talk out of his ass for one minute? it has nothing to do with the story in any way

Watch Sullivan’s Travels.   It shows you why Sofia Coppola loves Daddy’s Home, Christopher Nolan loves MacGruber, and so on.   

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #9544 on: February 19, 2023, 06:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote
The Fifth Element is still a great watch. I love how much time and focus was spent on every character - bit player or not - and practical effect. I’d say it wasn’t slow, but you get to see and hear a lot along the way; more than in most modern films. The first half reminded me of playing Grand Theft Auto, especially the police chase early on.
[close]
Yeah it rules. It's kinda got og star wars qualities where it's just like here's the world and doesn't need to go into every little detail of everything just go along for the ride (unlike say current star wars) funny how the Dallas and zorg never meet each other for the entire movie either. For some reason in Aus there's like full weekends where they just play it on loop.

I miss those cable tv days.. I watched Anaconda with my cousins a hundred times one summer cause it was on loop constantly.

I wish Star Wars were at least as colorful as Fifth Element, but I finally have accepted their is no life left in that universe. Everything is gray or tan. Boring.

Fifth Element really was a million characters coming together in a ridiculous way, and not too dark or drawn out. I rewatch it and forget why I waited so long.

Jebediah

• Rep: 115
« Reply #9545 on: February 19, 2023, 06:43:34 PM »
The Warriors, free on YouTube with ads.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9546 on: February 19, 2023, 09:38:38 PM »
I've recently watched most of the screwball comedy collection on Criterion Channel. My favorites so far are Easy Living and Midnight, directed by Mitchell Leiden and My Man Godfrey, directed by Gregory La Cava.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9547 on: February 23, 2023, 03:24:24 AM »
Filmed in supermarionation
Not a film just a light doco about the company that made Thunderbirds, captain scarlet, UFO etc. Little look behind the scenes of how they did effects and shit.

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #9548 on: February 24, 2023, 06:03:26 AM »
Finally watched Hereditary with my partner last night. I see why it was so highly praised now. That shit was original and had me tense and uncomfortable the entirety of the film. Highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it yet.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1411
« Reply #9549 on: February 24, 2023, 07:03:58 AM »
I've recently watched most of the screwball comedy collection on Criterion Channel. My favorites so far are Easy Living and Midnight, directed by Mitchell Leiden and My Man Godfrey, directed by Gregory La Cava.

William Powell was such a great lead in screwballs. He's so good with Myrna Loy in the Thin Man

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9550 on: February 25, 2023, 01:20:58 PM »
I saw Cocaine Bear last night. It's not going to be winning awards by any means. But it is exactly what it set out to be. A campy b movie where a bear on cocaine mauls a bunch of people.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9551 on: February 25, 2023, 01:53:45 PM »
Master and Commander

an all time favorite

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9552 on: February 25, 2023, 09:42:49 PM »
I saw Cocaine Bear last night. It's not going to be winning awards by any means. But it is exactly what it set out to be. A campy b movie where a bear on cocaine mauls a bunch of people.
Are there fun deaths? That's a kinda fucked sentence but that's really all that matters in a horror movie.

Also it's kind of funny they play ads for cocaine bear all day on tv but feels like only like two years ago they wouldn't even directly say people smoked weed on tv it just had to be vaguely implied.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9553 on: February 26, 2023, 02:06:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Are there fun deaths? That's a kinda fucked sentence but that's really all that matters in a horror movie.

Also it's kind of funny they play ads for cocaine bear all day on tv but feels like only like two years ago they wouldn't even directly say people smoked weed on tv it just had to be vaguely implied.

There’s funny scenarios, but the deaths have a bmovie grisliness (pun maybe intended).   I don’t know if I would call any of them Ha Ha funny

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #9554 on: February 26, 2023, 05:14:10 PM »
Re-Watched this on the plane….

Loady McGee

• Rep: 56
« Reply #9555 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:31 AM »
Not a movie but HBO has this Stephen King mini series (10 episodes) called The Outsider. I haven't seen it being discussed anywhere so went in knowing nothing about it. It was really good and I highly recommend it. Since I binged it, it felt like one long movie.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9556 on: February 27, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »
Not a movie but HBO has this Stephen King mini series (10 episodes) called The Outsider. I haven't seen it being discussed anywhere so went in knowing nothing about it. It was really good and I highly recommend it. Since I binged it, it felt like one long movie.

It’s been out for a while.   It’s classic King in that the premise is amazing and the execution is lacking and often self-plagiarizing (in this case it gets very It in the end)

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9557 on: February 27, 2023, 02:21:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s been out for a while.   It’s classic King in that the premise is amazing and the execution is lacking and often self-plagiarizing (in this case it gets very It in the end)

I had a lot of fun watching this.  The series trailer was very misleading (if you've watched it, you know what I'm talking about).

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9558 on: February 27, 2023, 04:18:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had a lot of fun watching this.  The series trailer was very misleading (if you've watched it, you know what I'm talking about).
Feel like this was just part of a trend with the misleading thing. Like ten other shows did the same thing around this time

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9559 on: February 27, 2023, 10:44:35 PM »
Watched Ronin again recently

You wanna talk about an ambush? I just ambushed you with a fucking cup of coffee!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9560 on: February 28, 2023, 04:35:27 AM »

You wanna talk about an ambush? I just ambushed you with a fucking cup of coffee!

Ah I remember watching that in the theaters as a kid and thinking that was the coolest damn movie.   Was that the last great dramatic DeNiro role?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #9561 on: February 28, 2023, 07:31:36 AM »
Good ole Sean Bean… cinemas/televisions death boy.

Spoiler for a 17 year old game, he even dies early into elder scrolls oblivion lol
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9562 on: February 28, 2023, 08:25:01 AM »

Spoiler for a 17 year old game, he even dies early into elder scrolls oblivion lol

I always knew him as the guy who turns traitor (which GoT plays up nicely) as Boromir, Trevelyan, and Ronin

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9563 on: February 28, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ah I remember watching that in the theaters as a kid and thinking that was the coolest damn movie.   Was that the last great dramatic DeNiro role?

I think it might be. He mostly did family fare through the 2000s

What's crazy is he doesn't even die! He just gets exposed as a fraud in Ronin.

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #9564 on: March 01, 2023, 12:23:45 PM »
This one seems to be pretty divisive, but my partner and I watched The Menu last night and we loved it. I'm usually pretty good about being able to pick up on and call what twist is coming, but I couldn't do it with this one. I need to rewatch it soon to really take it all in.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9565 on: March 02, 2023, 06:32:23 AM »
Doctor mordrid
Kind of a perfect 90s VHS movie. It's cheesy but fun. Actually good (not great), not overly long, some cool effects. As a kid I thought the villain was the wrestler edge

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9566 on: March 02, 2023, 10:18:18 AM »
James Grey - Armageddon Time might hit some people in the sweet spot

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #9567 on: March 02, 2023, 12:55:28 PM »
Take Shelter was a solid movie. I love Michael Shannon and now I know where that storm meme comes from

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9568 on: March 02, 2023, 02:56:43 PM »
This one seems to be pretty divisive, but my partner and I watched The Menu last night and we loved it. I'm usually pretty good about being able to pick up on and call what twist is coming, but I couldn't do it with this one. I need to rewatch it soon to really take it all in.

I honestly thought they were gonna be vampires or cannibals.

Also my fiance and i watched black narcissus last night and wow. Some of the best set design I've ever seen. Blown away that it was mostly filmed on a sound stage

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9569 on: March 02, 2023, 04:05:39 PM »

a true classic