Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945637 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9600 on: March 13, 2023, 12:07:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I watched jfk last night.

There's two parallel stories happening. One is the morality tale of don't let this shit consume your life and drive you insane. Be a normal person, love your family, enjoy your life.
The other is the real deep politics surrounding the Kennedy assassination. Hazy, but all the important details are there, and that's the way you have to live with it. You can see the outline of the faintest shape of what may have happened, but there will never be the smoking gun. And also literally every actor in it is crushing so hard. John Candy plays a bit part and is electric and he's not even the 20th most important character. Just incredible stuff

Who killed the president?

Aw man why don't you fucking stop it. Shit this is too big for you
[close]
They're gonna shit bricks when they realize it was just one of his security guards that killed him on accident.
[close]
No that theory isn't allowed. (Even tho I've had some Mandela effect thing going where I thought the whole world agreed that's what happened but apparently not)

Secret Service.    It’s the theory I buy

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1411
« Reply #9601 on: March 13, 2023, 09:46:41 AM »
The secret service theory is best put forth in bill James' book popular crime. Great read

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9602 on: March 13, 2023, 11:30:40 AM »
The secret service theory is best put forth in bill James' book popular crime. Great read

Yes!   I had heard about it elsewhere, but clearly that place had got it from PC.   Amazing book by the guy who invented fantasy baseball more or less iirc

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9603 on: March 13, 2023, 07:13:53 PM »
The Menu was dope.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9604 on: March 13, 2023, 09:45:35 PM »
First reformed. Holy fuck.
Will God forgive us

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9605 on: March 13, 2023, 10:55:39 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9606 on: March 14, 2023, 01:05:42 AM »

Weirdest thing about this movie is the EXTREMELY racist/cowboy/southern bar in the heart of San Francisco.   There’s no where close enough that would make sense for them to have driven in from, which means these guys must all pretend to be businessmen during the day and fucking loathe the city Travis Bickle style

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #9607 on: March 16, 2023, 05:31:46 AM »
Just watched Inherent Vice. Not entirely sure what happened, but I liked it.

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #9608 on: March 16, 2023, 08:21:20 AM »
Just watched this and really liked it.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #9609 on: March 21, 2023, 08:46:50 PM »
Yi Yi (2000)

Amazing Taiwanese movie covering all aspects of life and relationships.  3 hours but highly recommend. Might be the initial hype from it but quickly feels like a top 10 for me

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9610 on: March 21, 2023, 09:06:33 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9611 on: April 01, 2023, 10:56:47 PM »
It was funny to see in air the designer of the AJ1s having a pretty mean kickflip on an early 80s shaped board.   Couldn’t tell who the stunt guy was from the credits.

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #9612 on: April 03, 2023, 07:00:13 PM »
I watched jfk last night.

There's two parallel stories happening. One is the morality tale of don't let this shit consume your life and drive you insane. Be a normal person, love your family, enjoy your life.
The other is the real deep politics surrounding the Kennedy assassination. Hazy, but all the important details are there, and that's the way you have to live with it. You can see the outline of the faintest shape of what may have happened, but there will never be the smoking gun. And also literally every actor in it is crushing so hard. John Candy plays a bit part and is electric and he's not even the 20th most important character. Just incredible stuff

Who killed the president?

Aw man why don't you fucking stop it. Shit this is too big for you

It's a fun movie, but Jim Garrison was definitely a mentally ill grifter irl and his theory was pretty much fantasy, wildly disproven and ridiculed. He attacked real ppl who had nothing to do with anything and was kind of a trash person in the other areas of life as well... I was bummed when I found all that out.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9613 on: April 03, 2023, 07:21:16 PM »
Got a kick out of Dungeons and Dragons.   Fun popcorn romp most people will unfortunately only find out they like when it’s streaming

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #9614 on: April 04, 2023, 03:34:25 AM »
Tár was really great, definitely in the 2022 top three with The Banshees of Inisherin and Aftersun.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 11:27:57 AM by linty »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #9615 on: April 04, 2023, 06:05:17 AM »
 Paris Texas

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9616 on: April 04, 2023, 03:30:24 PM »

i loved Dinner Rush...just actually mentioned a couple of pages ago. Danny Aiello is a legend.

Something Wild is also on Prime right now

such a fucking classic for so many reasons...for one, there's an awesome John Watters cameo in it--he's a used car salesman. probably my favorite Ray Liotta performance...he's firing on all cylinders around 1:10. i read somewhere that this performance is what made Scorsese ask to play in Good Fellas

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9617 on: April 04, 2023, 07:00:30 PM »
Nothing crazy, but Dual on Hulu was a fun watch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9618 on: April 05, 2023, 12:35:46 AM »
Tetris on Apple+ is recommended.   Funnily enough Ghislaine Maxwell’s father features prominently in the video game’s history

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #9619 on: April 05, 2023, 12:57:15 AM »
Got a kick out of Dungeons and Dragons.   Fun popcorn romp most people will unfortunately only find out they like when it’s streaming

I was just about to post this movie, it is so much fun! Best fantasy movie I've seen in a long time. I assumed it would suck when I first heard about it but then my mom invited me to go see it with her after she heard it was really good and we had a fantastic time. She played dungeons and dragons a lot when she was younger so it was cool to see her excited about all the references

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9620 on: April 05, 2023, 06:44:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was just about to post this movie, it is so much fun! Best fantasy movie I've seen in a long time. I assumed it would suck when I first heard about it but then my mom invited me to go see it with her after she heard it was really good and we had a fantastic time. She played dungeons and dragons a lot when she was younger so it was cool to see her excited about all the references

One of the Directors was the main little kid from Freaks and Geeks.   Also check out Game Night he did.   It’s a Fincherian comedy that like D&D is a lot better than you might think at first blush

The Mexican Nancy Chin

« Reply #9621 on: April 05, 2023, 01:25:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

One of the Directors was the main little kid from Freaks and Geeks.   Also check out Game Night he did.   It’s a Fincherian comedy that like D&D is a lot better than you might think at first blush
Thanks for the recommendation!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1179
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9622 on: April 05, 2023, 02:59:10 PM »

Probably gonna see this in theaters
This looks incredible.

I watched Porco Rosso the other night. It's heartbreaking, beautiful, and unfortunately it's as poignant as ever with the current rise of fascism.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
« Reply #9623 on: April 05, 2023, 03:32:53 PM »
watched a flick called "The Wages of Fear." 1953 French film by Henri-Georges Clouzot. I really enjoyed eveything about it. If nothing else, let go of the writing, the acting, cinematography, and larger themes, it's dudes driving nitroglycerin through the jungle.

Anyways, i'm interested in watching more from I'd say a ten year period after WW2. As with poetry and visual art, the camps and the bombs, obliteration of humankind and any notion of God, has to have done something to film.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9624 on: April 05, 2023, 03:38:13 PM »
watched a flick called "The Wages of Fear." 1953 French film by Henri-Georges Clouzot. I really enjoyed eveything about it. If nothing else, let go of the writing, the acting, cinematography, and larger themes, it's dudes driving nitroglycerin through the jungle.

Anyways, i'm interested in watching more from I'd say a ten year period after WW2. As with poetry and visual art, the camps and the bombs, obliteration of humankind and any notion of God, has to have done something to film.

Watch Sorcerer.  It’s kind of a remake, but I think most people think it’s superior.   It’s only problem was that it opened the week before Star Wars, so it kinda got swallowed up.   Directed by William Friedkin

The Mexican Nancy Chin

« Reply #9625 on: April 05, 2023, 04:28:10 PM »
@Atiba Applebum I'm gonna need your Letterbox'd profile if you've got one, you've been killing it with the movie recommendations

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9626 on: April 05, 2023, 07:36:18 PM »
@Atiba Applebum I'm gonna need your Letterbox'd profile if you've got one, you've been killing it with the movie recommendations

Hah thanks.  I don’t have one, but I’ll always pop the ones I like on here.   (And occasionally the ones I hate - 65 might be my most disliked movie of all time)

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #9627 on: April 06, 2023, 10:45:48 AM »
watched shark tale for the first time since childhood recently and call me crazy but it's really fucking funny. it genuinely might be will smith's best role

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
« Reply #9628 on: April 06, 2023, 11:39:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Watch Sorcerer.  It’s kind of a remake, but I think most people think it’s superior.   It’s only problem was that it opened the week before Star Wars, so it kinda got swallowed up.   Directed by William Friedkin

really? i'll have to watch it and report back

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9629 on: April 06, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Probably gonna see this in theaters
[close]
This looks incredible.

I watched Porco Rosso the other night. It's heartbreaking, beautiful, and unfortunately it's as poignant as ever with the current rise of fascism.

I also just watched porco rosso the other day. The scene with porco above the clouds is one of the most beautiful and devastating meditations on warfare I've ever seen