Author Topic: Boards On The Wall Thread  (Read 300357 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
Re: Boards On The Wall Thread
« Reply #1710 on: March 14, 2023, 09:21:09 AM »
New in.

DILL Ivory deck, very happy with it.
Thanks to a slap-pal <3 !

FLAWLESS condition.

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1711 on: March 15, 2023, 12:40:40 AM »
If you hang your boards on the wall, I hope you don't intend to skate them because they will warp. I had 30+ unskated boards warp on me a few years ago just from having them on the wall. Not worth it.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #1712 on: March 15, 2023, 12:57:28 AM »
@STAH These old aliens are worth hundreds of dollars (sometimes even more). I have no intention of skating them at all.

Sometimes they do warp, but it also has to do with the moisture, heath, climate you live in :-)*

I've had a few OG powells deck on my wall for over 20 years and they had no warp whatsoever.

STAH

« Reply #1713 on: March 15, 2023, 03:00:34 AM »
@STAH These old aliens are worth hundreds of dollars (sometimes even more). I have no intention of skating them at all.

Sometimes they do warp, but it also has to do with the moisture, heath, climate you live in :-)*

I've had a few OG powells deck on my wall for over 20 years and they had no warp whatsoever.

Oh absolutely has to do with my apartment. I live in Vancouver, so its very cold and rainy in the winter, and hot and humid in the summer. also depending on what season it is, boards shipped to Canada in general will have to endure some bit of temperate fluctuation during transport. I also don't have control of the heating in my building, so temperatures can fluctuate pretty drastically no matter what season it is.

I did however, move all the warped boards to a temperature controlled environment, and stored them in a stack, flat on the ground. It's been about a year and a half of them being stored stacked up at a consistent temperature and almost all of the boards have un warped them selves, amazingly.

I do have a couple re-issue Powell boards, and they warped the fastest. Glad to hear your originals are still holding up!

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1714 on: March 15, 2023, 03:28:16 AM »
crazy how don p only did graphics for workshop for like 5 years out of their 30+ year existence yet he's what comes to mind when u think of workshop

Glue Foot

« Reply #1715 on: March 15, 2023, 03:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh absolutely has to do with my apartment. I live in Vancouver, so its very cold and rainy in the winter, and hot and humid in the summer. also depending on what season it is, boards shipped to Canada in general will have to endure some bit of temperate fluctuation during transport. I also don't have control of the heating in my building, so temperatures can fluctuate pretty drastically no matter what season it is.

I did however, move all the warped boards to a temperature controlled environment, and stored them in a stack, flat on the ground. It's been about a year and a half of them being stored stacked up at a consistent temperature and almost all of the boards have un warped them selves, amazingly.

I do have a couple re-issue Powell boards, and they warped the fastest. Glad to hear your originals are still holding up!

if you have a choice make sure you hang them on an interior wall. an exterior wall, where the other side of the wall is the outside of the building, will fluctuate in temperature so much that it will warp the shit out of wood after a few seasons. if both sides of the wall are indoors then it should be way more stable temperature-wise and the boards would hang fine with no warp over time. same thing for art. interior walls only for valuables.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #1716 on: March 15, 2023, 06:48:33 AM »
Anyone else have a problem with white boards going yellow? I don't smoke and they are not in the direct sunlight but the white on the two of my boards have gone yellowish. Funny enough the one white board (Cliche Charlie Hebo) that does get a bit of sun is bright white still.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #1717 on: March 15, 2023, 06:56:38 AM »
Anyone else have a problem with white boards going yellow? I don't smoke and they are not in the direct sunlight but the white on the two of my boards have gone yellowish. Funny enough the one white board (Cliche Charlie Hebo) that does get a bit of sun is bright white still.

Yeah if it's not sealed up in an airtight wrap or container pretty much anything white besides porcelain/ceramic is gonna yellow over time, smoke or not.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1718 on: March 15, 2023, 07:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah if it's not sealed up in an airtight wrap or container pretty much anything white besides porcelain/ceramic is gonna yellow over time, smoke or not.

How long did it take for them to go yellow? I have two mostly white Western Edition boards that have kept their color since 2009. I have them hung going up my stairs towards the top of the stairs away from sunlight.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1719 on: March 15, 2023, 08:16:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How long did it take for them to go yellow? I have two mostly white Western Edition boards that have kept their color since 2009. I have them hung going up my stairs towards the top of the stairs away from sunlight.

One is Erick Winkowski's first deck on Santa Cruz, forget what they called it but art from Ken Taylor so think 2017. Only really noticed it last summer prob was way before that thou.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1720 on: March 16, 2023, 01:38:49 PM »

not a huge fan of dane vaughn but I had to get the initial d deck.
Wiener dog teepee is tight.

work_lurker

• Rep: 91
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1721 on: March 16, 2023, 01:55:23 PM »
I'll opt for boards by bands over brands. I've got an MF Doom board, and two Modest Mouse boards. One was manufactured by the Killing Floor, not sure who made the other ones.
Never been a huge fan of not skating company boards, but definitely like holding on to local shop decks (who also happened to do an MF Doom graphic...shhh..) and old sponsors. If there's not that sentimental attachment then I'd rather just skate it.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1722 on: March 25, 2023, 03:48:13 PM »
Because of a friend I got one of these.

I'm so lucky to have one of these. I'll never skate it. I wasn't even going to post this. I have another board I got from the pal too. That one i am going to keep it secret and safe for rn. Until I feel like showing it off or setting it up.

I never had one of the original ones with the scratch off graphics. Some of my friends had them. To be honest the graphics meant literally nothing to me back then.

Today I feel differently about it.

Thanks yo!

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #1723 on: July 26, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
Not much if a board collector, or fan of boards on the wall, but I have some stuff.

The two on the walls is a Rodney Torres board the Osiris team surprised me with signed by the team, I skated a few demos with them during the storm tour, and the other is a Nocturnal board Kerry signed and gave me during a DVS tour.

The other ones I havent put up, but first one is a Josh Casper board, that I won from him over a Pizza bet. Must be the ugliest board ever, but I love it for the backstory and that he signed the message with "The Casperholic"  ;D

Second one is Koston board Jeron gave me and signed, and the one next to it is a generic board, "Liseberg" is an amusement park where I live, where we used ti have an annual contest, Got Wes and Larelle to sign that one. The last is a New Deal Siamese twin reissue, this was my dream board as a kid, and now Im good friends with the guy who made the graphic, he runs the local shop here. Had to get that one signed. 

Also have a Johan Stuckey Nick cave board, the one where Nick Cave draw a self-portrait with a sign that says "Fuck Johan Stuckey". Huge Nick Cave fan so had to get that one, and I mean, fuck Johan so.

Was hanging out with Wes and Alexis last weekend, and will meet them on Thursday and Saturday with the Sour crew, wanted to get a mafia board for them to sign for me but no-one sells them here..

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1724 on: July 26, 2023, 09:38:15 AM »
Not much if a board collector, or fan of boards on the wall, but I have some stuff.

The two on the walls is a Rodney Torres board the Osiris team surprised me with signed by the team, I skated a few demos with them during the storm tour, and the other is a Nocturnal board Kerry signed and gave me during a DVS tour.

The other ones I havent put up, but first one is a Josh Casper board, that I won from him over a Pizza bet. Must be the ugliest board ever, but I love it for the backstory and that he signed the message with "The Casperholic"  ;D

Second one is Koston board Jeron gave me and signed, and the one next to it is a generic board, "Liseberg" is an amusement park where I live, where we used ti have an annual contest, Got Wes and Larelle to sign that one. The last is a New Deal Siamese twin reissue, this was my dream board as a kid, and now Im good friends with the guy who made the graphic, he runs the local shop here. Had to get that one signed. 

Also have a Johan Stuckey Nick cave board, the one where Nick Cave draw a self-portrait with a sign that says "Fuck Johan Stuckey". Huge Nick Cave fan so had to get that one, and I mean, fuck Johan so.

Was hanging out with Wes and Alexis last weekend, and will meet them on Thursday and Saturday with the Sour crew, wanted to get a mafia board for them to sign for me but no-one sells them here..

Having stories to go with them is the best. Love your home aesthetic. Did you build the wall mounted arcade?

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #1725 on: July 26, 2023, 12:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Having stories to go with them is the best. Love your home aesthetic. Did you build the wall mounted arcade?

Agree, thats why I even have them on the wall. There is ofc some nostalgia boards I would have up there if I came ver them though, like Jason Lees burger board, just for personal reason.

And yeah, the arcade I built myself. Im using a raspberry pi, 5000 games. Pretty fun.

adumb

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1726 on: July 26, 2023, 03:47:23 PM »
New additions

Muska Silhouette- signed of course

Chico Stix "Dawn Patrol"

Stranger Things SC series

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1727 on: July 26, 2023, 04:01:54 PM »
packing my shit up for a move. vacuum sealed all my wall boards. can't get no scuffs. ha ha ha that joe buffalo deck is gona look good
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1728 on: July 26, 2023, 09:01:59 PM »
Because of a friend I got one of these.

I'm so lucky to have one of these. I'll never skate it. I wasn't even going to post this. I have another board I got from the pal too. That one i am going to keep it secret and safe for rn. Until I feel like showing it off or setting it up.

I never had one of the original ones with the scratch off graphics. Some of my friends had them. To be honest the graphics meant literally nothing to me back then.

Today I feel differently about it.

Thanks yo!

I still have mine in the shrink wrap and I’m skating it.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1729 on: July 26, 2023, 09:04:38 PM »
I really wish I never skated my Girl Mariano Claudia Schiffer deck.

I have the Real Nick Dompierre Taylor Swift deck drawn like the Schiffer graphic as a wall hanger. As someone with 5 Taylor Swift vinyl records, I’m so glad I kept that one.

I also have two of the Theories Elaine Benes Claudia Schiffer decks.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1730 on: August 16, 2023, 07:10:51 AM »
Any tips getting boards at the exact same height when hanging them up? I usually use fishing wire and just try and tie them at the same point but it's pretty hit and miss. I need to hang up 20 boards all at the same level and hoping there's some hacks out there for doing it easily.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1731 on: August 16, 2023, 07:38:16 AM »
Any tips getting boards at the exact same height when hanging them up? I usually use fishing wire and just try and tie them at the same point but it's pretty hit and miss. I need to hang up 20 boards all at the same level and hoping there's some hacks out there for doing it easily.

I've never found a good way to do this. I use a slightly thicker cloth string so it's a little easier to untie and redo.
Also, I use tiny little 3/4" wire nails to hang the boards on, they sink into drywall nice and securely and leave such tiny holes that sometimes I'll just pull the nail out and move it up or down. I still try not to do it too much though.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1105
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1732 on: August 16, 2023, 07:41:31 AM »
I use fishing wire too (or dental floss). I just loop up the longer ones around my finger (making a bigger knot) until it shortens to where I need it to be. I definitely don't start over or try to undo it and re-tie.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1733 on: August 16, 2023, 07:44:44 AM »
I use zip ties and just slowly adjust it till they are aligned.

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #1734 on: August 16, 2023, 08:07:26 AM »
Mine are all hung in my classroom, so if I have to take the nail out and put it higher, I don't really give a shit  8)
But...I use thin picture hanging wire I got at home depot. It comes in a long spool and has a thing on the package to cut it. I loop it through the truck holes and the twist it together on the other side. For a small adjustment, I just add a couple more twists to the wire and it works pretty well.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #1735 on: August 16, 2023, 08:09:31 AM »

If you use the same length of fishing line and tie a knot in the same place for each one you want to hang, which is hard but not impossible, the boards will hang by the same length from a hook. Then all you need to do is adjust the height of the hooks to get them to be level with each other.

Jum Diggins

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1736 on: August 16, 2023, 08:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote
My two latest for the wall
[close]
Thought the artwork for the Klein deck looked familiar:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185204006193
I bought this laserdisc in the early 00s just for the cover art (just a dollar or so, and I've never have even seen a player). Almost used it as inspiration for a few different art projects but looks like I've been beaten to it, finally. Love that aesthetic.

Always loved that graphic as well. The item must have sold, what was the movie?

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -347
« Reply #1737 on: August 16, 2023, 08:27:37 AM »
I have somewhere around 38 boards on my wall. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be a signed Rob Welsh expedition. I use spare shoelaces that I cut up to hang them, using a slipknot and while listening to slipknot, you can adjust the height accordingly so they all line up flush.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1738 on: August 16, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »

I tied the loop around a can of coce to get them alinged.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1739 on: August 16, 2023, 03:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tied the loop around a can of coce to get them alinged.

How would that work though with differing nose length and truck hole placement?