Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945369 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10020 on: July 13, 2023, 10:25:06 PM »
Loved M:I DR part 1.   Didn’t feel like part of one long movie either that we only got the first half either.   

Also, rewatching the first Mission Impossible would add something to your watch.  There’s two interesting connections to it, but I don’t think it’ll detract if you don’t know about them.   I learned about them after the fact

swellbowed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10021 on: July 13, 2023, 11:31:27 PM »
Finally got around to watching Blackberry tonight and it didn't disappoint. Have a good website for watching new movies. Here's a link if anyone's interested: https://lookmovie2.to/movies/view/21867434-blackberry-2023

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10022 on: July 14, 2023, 01:29:48 AM »
Finally got around to watching Blackberry tonight and it didn't disappoint. Have a good website for watching new movies. Here's a link if anyone's interested: https://lookmovie2.to/movies/view/21867434-blackberry-2023

Especially for tiny foreign* movies like this, please pay to rent if you can afford it.   It helps get other small movies made

*a Canadian-made movie counts as foreign right?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #10023 on: July 14, 2023, 01:37:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Especially for tiny foreign* movies like this, please pay to rent if you can afford it.   It helps get other small movies made

Am I missing a joke or something? Kinda weird to slap their sticker over Glen howertons name

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10024 on: July 14, 2023, 01:44:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Am I missing a joke or something? Kinda weird to slap their sticker over Glen howertons name

I do not think that’s a Monsters Inc style joke (they did that to Mike Wizowski in a lot of the art and covers based on a joke from the movie).   

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10025 on: July 14, 2023, 10:44:16 AM »
Jay's a movie star and Glenn's a TV star. It's a dumb distinction but it may be that simple
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10026 on: July 14, 2023, 11:57:10 AM »
Jay's a movie star and Glenn's a TV star. It's a dumb distinction but it may be that simple

It’s so weird to think about how he was almost Star Lord

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #10027 on: July 14, 2023, 12:23:53 PM »

Because of this thread I just watched this for the first time last night, can't believe I've never watched it before since I've watched most of the other classic "car movies" (Vanishing Point, 2-Lane Blacktop, Smokie and the Bandit, etc)
I liked it, I can't believe McQueen was only 38 in this movie, looks like he could be my dad...and I'm 42.

Digitalcowboy!

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10028 on: July 14, 2023, 01:40:19 PM »
I recently watched , beau is afraid and it was pretty fucked up but also pretty much a comedy in a weird way but also it’s a 3 hour movie so keep that in mind .
Last nite I watched blood simple it’s an older movie but it’s good and suspenseful the same directors who did no country for old men direct this . Watched crumb the other day too it’s like a documentary on a Bay Area comic artist Robert crumb who’s a creepy dude but who isn’t deep down inside 👍 definitely recommend.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10029 on: July 14, 2023, 11:20:15 PM »
Rewatched No Country for Old Men for the first time in years. Nothin like getting the whole family around to watch Anton cattle prod some heads in

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10030 on: July 15, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »
Rewatched No Country for Old Men for the first time in years. Nothin like getting the whole family around to watch Anton cattle prod some heads in

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10031 on: July 15, 2023, 10:19:48 PM »
^^bouya

Godfather tonight with the ma

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10032 on: July 17, 2023, 06:30:50 PM »
asteroid city

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10033 on: July 17, 2023, 06:35:05 PM »
Wham doc on Netflix

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #10034 on: July 17, 2023, 10:35:09 PM »
Wham doc on Netflix
Very enjoyable! Watched this over the weekend and Club Tropicana still randomly loops in my head.

Asteroid City on the other hand is the first Wes Anderson I genuinely disliked.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10035 on: July 17, 2023, 11:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Wham doc on Netflix
[close]
Very enjoyable! Watched this over the weekend and Club Tropicana still randomly loops in my head.

Asteroid City on the other hand is the first Wes Anderson I genuinely disliked.

Really made me think highly of Andrew Ridgely.   Maybe it was glossed over for the movie, but he seemed like someone who appreciated the time he had in the sun and didn’t begrudge his best friend his immense talent and need to move on.   

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #10036 on: July 17, 2023, 11:24:54 PM »
Hard Candy is on Stan atm if you have it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10037 on: July 17, 2023, 11:47:52 PM »

I have never heard of Stan before

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10038 on: July 18, 2023, 12:22:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its just another way they make things complicated in Aus. It's a streaming service but it has some shows from Disney, Hulu, paramount, HBO etc I think it's main draw was it had breaking bad and better call Saul which you couldn't watch anywhere else.....unless it was the random times the other streaming services had them or you had Foxtel (another tv service more like what I assume cable is in the US)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10039 on: July 18, 2023, 01:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Its just another way they make things complicated in Aus. It's a streaming service but it has some shows from Disney, Hulu, paramount, HBO etc I think it's main draw was it had breaking bad and better call Saul which you couldn't watch anywhere else.....unless it was the random times the other streaming services had them or you had Foxtel (another tv service more like what I assume cable is in the US)

Ah that makes sense why my lil American ass hadn’t heard of it.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10040 on: July 18, 2023, 06:50:12 AM »
The Dead Pool
(not to be confused with Deadpool) pretty straightforward dirty harry sequel. You know what you're getting.

Also say it too often but Manhunter really is an all time great movie.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10041 on: July 18, 2023, 07:11:19 AM »
The Dead Pool
(not to be confused with Deadpool) pretty straightforward dirty harry sequel. You know what you're getting.

Was aware of the Dead Pool way before I knew anything of Dirty Harry bc the old Blockbuster video boxes would print “other movies Jim Carrey was in” on rentals of his movies.   

Watched Inception again, maybe for the first time since theaters, and really didn’t it find to be as confusing or up its own ass as the reputation has grown over the past 13 years.   As CN has recently said, even if the ending isn’t logically clear, it is emotionally for Leo, and I totally buy that.   It is hilarious to see how much Leo is made up to resemble Christopher Nolan in the movie though.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10042 on: July 18, 2023, 07:51:55 AM »
Expand Quote
The Dead Pool

[close]

Was aware of the Dead Pool way before I knew anything of Dirty Harry bc the old Blockbuster video boxes would print “other movies Jim Carrey was in” on rentals of his movies.   

Watched Inception again, maybe for the first time since theaters, and really didn’t it find to be as confusing or up its own ass as the reputation has grown over the past 13 years.   As CN has recently said, even if the ending isn’t logically clear, it is emotionally for Leo, and I totally buy that.   It is hilarious to see how much Leo is made up to resemble Christopher Nolan in the movie though.
It's funny they could have done that too with Liam Neeson (altho he wasn't quite as popular in the video store says as he was until recently) he and Carey share some scenes and Neeson is basically the opposite of what he would later be known for.

Feel like maybe inception was one of the earlier movies to suffer from the entire world having social media and has to have an opinion on everything (yes I realise the irony in saying that on this forum). Everyone taking stances to be different, it was dumb I didn't get it, it wasn't hard to understand at all, I do get it it's just trying to hard blah blah blah blah etc

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10043 on: July 18, 2023, 08:18:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Dead Pool

[close]

[close]
It's funny they could have done that too with Liam Neeson (altho he wasn't quite as popular in the video store says as he was until recently) he and Carey share some scenes and Neeson is basically the opposite of what he would later be known for.

Feel like maybe inception was one of the earlier movies to suffer from the entire world having social media and has to have an opinion on everything (yes I realise the irony in saying that on this forum). Everyone taking stances to be different, it was dumb I didn't get it, it wasn't hard to understand at all, I do get it it's just trying to hard blah blah blah blah etc

They might have on the box for Schindler’s List, but 7-9 year old me wasn’t renting those movies hah.   (Also, didn’t know he was in it until now!)

I think the thing with that movie and maybe Interstellar is that it’s a lot to take in on the first viewing that you almost have to watch it again.   Part of me is sure Oppenheimer isn’t going to be a straight forward linear narrative (in the way Dunkirk played with time in three different ways) and the inevitable backlash against that.   I know there’s something about the color scenes being subjective accounts and black and white scenes being historical ones…

…all I can really say is I’m going to be so glad when I stop seeing that fucking trailer at the start of every movie.   

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10044 on: July 18, 2023, 05:51:53 PM »
Out of Sight on Peacock.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #10045 on: July 18, 2023, 07:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Dead Pool

[close]

[close]

On the topic of Nolan, I'm going to see Following in a theater tomorrow night

Will be my first time seeing it in like a decade

Also going to see Infernal Affairs (the Hong Kong movie that The Departed is based on) in like a week too

The theater is showing the second and third Infernal Affairs movies that same week too, anyone here seen those?
Worth going to the theater to watch them?

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #10046 on: July 18, 2023, 08:35:17 PM »

“What do I stand to win? Everything.”

That exchange haunts me.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10047 on: July 18, 2023, 08:45:04 PM »
Out of Sight on Peacock.

Speaking of Elmore Leonard, new Justified mini series drops on Hulu at midnight (first two eps)

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10048 on: July 18, 2023, 11:55:42 PM »
Finally watched Climax (2018) by Gaspar Noe and thought it was super dope. The dance sequences were insane and then you just dive into a nightmare

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10049 on: July 19, 2023, 10:50:58 AM »
and Neeson is basically the opposite of what he would later be known for.

Darkman. He is known for being Darkman.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.