Author Topic: SPIRIT QUEST. a new video by COLIN READ  (Read 65923 times)

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
Re: SPIRIT QUEST. a new video by COLIN READ
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »
Got mine yesterday. Well worth the wait.
All the split screen slam/make shots are so great! The opening sequence is beyond words.
Some of those animal shots had me laughing so hard. Nawrocki's spinning gorilla, so good! They were perfect with the skaters movement. The wife actually came in to see what all the noise I was making was about. And even she could appreciate it.
I was not too familiar with Vincent Touzery before this. But I'm a fan now.
I want to see more of that Eby guy. His idea of a spot intrigues me.
After rewinding and watching in various speeds of slomo at least 20 times, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what Hiroki did on that double bar hippy Ollie. So crazy.
Great job Mandible Claw!

One more thing. If you wanted to be in this video, was it mandatory to do a duck down approach to a trick? Or did that just happen naturally?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:03:00 PM by handsclapanin »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »
That was completely nuts and I need to watch it again

Grind King Rims

« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »
If it doesn't arrive before the weekend, I might start googling diy coma recipes. This wait is killing me.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 903
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
I didn't think it was possible to make it better than tengu, and I was wrong. Definitely some amazing shit in there. The water part actually made me feel like I was tripping. I also thought he actually dropped the camera from the roof at first.

Mandible Claw, you are a creative dude. Incredible video.

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »
I didn't think it was possible to make it better than tengu, and I was wrong. Definitely some amazing shit in there. The water part actually made me feel like I was tripping. I also thought he actually dropped the camera from the roof at first.

dude, have you watched the bonus yet? HE ACTUALLY DID. it shows how they did it, it's fucking insane

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 903
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dude, have you watched the bonus yet? HE ACTUALLY DID. it shows how they did it, it's fucking insane

Yeah I did, but it's on a rope or something. I thought he just dropped it and hoped and it worked out haha.

wario

« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2016, 08:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I did, but it's on a rope or something. I thought he just dropped it and hoped and it worked out haha.

Oh haha I feel like the camera would have just exploded against his head,  that shit was high up

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »
Didn't think I was gonna like it at all, but I plopped the thing into the dvd player, watched it on the television, and was pretty well floored by the whole thing...lots of dedication to make something that intricate, very beautiful stuff!
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2016, 12:18:05 AM »
That was immaculate.  I still love the old skate video format, but I am marrying this video and keeping it on repeat forever.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2016, 02:29:33 AM »
god damn. Reading what everyone is saying ain't helping the fact that mine isn't here.

Mongoloid

« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »

Speaking of which.. if anyone knows where I can procure a DVD copy of Tengu I'd be hugely appreciative. I may even send you risque photos of my manly hairy body.

I feel like after Spirit Quest I need everything I can get my hands on of Colin's work. Absolute brilliance that transcends skateboarding, and borders on high visual artistry.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
is there going to be a digital download at any point? i haven't even owned a dvd player in many years. excuse me if this has already been covered.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1224
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »
I got mine last night, wow what a fucking video. Absolutely lived up to all the hype it has. I can't imagine the hours that went into editing that thing. I feel like it can be tough to make a skate video unique/different while maintaining watch-ability, but this video nails it.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
Finally watched it. Well worth the wait. Bummed USPS broke the fucking case tho

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Speaking of which.. if anyone knows where I can procure a DVD copy of Tengu I'd be hugely appreciative. I may even send you risque photos of my manly hairy body.

I feel like after Spirit Quest I need everything I can get my hands on of Colin's work. Absolute brilliance that transcends skateboarding, and borders on high visual artistry.

Already tried. I emailed Colin and he said he doesn't have anymore copies of Tengu left. And I don't think more would be made, but he did say it will be posted online sometime. But a hard copy is what I wanted to.

Mongoloid

« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Already tried. I emailed Colin and he said he doesn't have anymore copies of Tengu left. And I don't think more would be made, but he did say it will be posted online sometime. But a hard copy is what I wanted to.

Ahh sadness! Maybe at some point the two of us will come across some used hard copies. Shame to hear, and thanks for replying.

yohimbe718

• Rep: -2
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »
Good video.. great editing.. can't stand what looks to be vx2000 footage or some other non-vx1000 footy. Cool music.. some great creative skating.

GX1000 is still video of the year for me pretty easily.

wario

« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »
Good video.. great editing.. can't stand what looks to be vx2000 footage or some other non-vx1000 footy. Cool music.. some great creative skating.

GX1000 is still video of the year for me pretty easily.

Did you mean that you think that Spirit Quest isn't Vx1000? Cuz it definitely is...

And I loved the GX1000 video too but spirt quest just was on a whole other level for me.... Like GX is an amazing skate video but this transcends it
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:03:47 PM by wario »

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2016, 06:51:35 PM »
This video aligned my chakras.

I just got it today and took me 3 separate occasions to watch the entire thing. Theres just so much to take in. It was a visionary treat!
I'm so grateful theres people out there that still continue to push the creative boundaries with the VX. Incredible stuff Colin, never seen anything like it.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ahh sadness! Maybe at some point the two of us will come across some used hard copies. Shame to hear, and thanks for replying.

Boy I hope so! That would be awesome. And yea Check eBay like the dude said, but if you stumble on 2 copies. You know who to message !

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
eBay alerts would be the way to go. Found In Search of Miraculous a few years ago.

Also I've never been more bummed checking my mailbox every day this week, I'm on the verge of just ordering a copy from some shop online just so I can watch it sooner, and then pawning the second copy. Is anyone else still waiting on a preorder? Said it was shipped on the first. Normally pretty patient with stuff being shipped, but I seriously need to watch this video soon.

eBay alerts. Thanks my friend. And yea mine said it shipped on the 30th, I don't wanna complain but yea...

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2016, 11:35:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
eBay alerts would be the way to go. Found In Search of Miraculous a few years ago.

Also I've never been more bummed checking my mailbox every day this week, I'm on the verge of just ordering a copy from some shop online just so I can watch it sooner, and then pawning the second copy. Is anyone else still waiting on a preorder? Said it was shipped on the first. Normally pretty patient with stuff being shipped, but I seriously need to watch this video soon.

Hey guys, definitely should have received pre orders for sure if you live in the US, email me from the website or email me from the address I posted earlier and I'll get it sorted.

Anybody else that has questions or just wants to talk feel free to hit me up. And if I'm slow to respond or to fulfill any orders, sorry for the delay, but it's literally just me doing all the mailing and shit, so I'm doing my best.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2016, 11:46:17 PM »
And also--thanks so much to everyone who has enjoyed the video so far!  It makes everything worth it.  I lost my mind working on it for three years of my life and destroyed my body in the process.

Tengu: yeah, sorry, it's entirely gone. I actually only have one copy for myself left. I'm trying to figure out how to share it with people who want to see it still, though. I would make a reissue but so far it doesn't seem like the demand is there enough, since you have to print a DVD in high amounts to make it worth it. But we'll see. If anyone wants to see it and hasn't yet just email me for now.

I'll check in here and try to answer and questions people have too.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2016, 07:06:03 AM »
And also--thanks so much to everyone who has enjoyed the video so far!  It makes everything worth it.  I lost my mind working on it for three years of my life and destroyed my body in the process.

Tengu: yeah, sorry, it's entirely gone. I actually only have one copy for myself left. I'm trying to figure out how to share it with people who want to see it still, though. I would make a reissue but so far it doesn't seem like the demand is there enough, since you have to print a DVD in high amounts to make it worth it. But we'll see. If anyone wants to see it and hasn't yet just email me for now.

when we had the spirit quest premiere, the shop owner was asking if you still had any copies of tengu left. i'm sure if people just ask around, the demand for it is still there.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »

I would imagine with the hype surrounding spirits quest you could push another 100+ hard copies of Tengu, for real. People that have never seen your videos before are going to want your older work as well.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would imagine with the hype surrounding spirits quest you could push another 100+ hard copies of Tengu, for real. People that have never seen your videos before are going to want your older work as well.

THIS. ^^^

Syhr

• Rep: 11
« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
sorry if it's already been answered, but do people have individual parts or is it one big montage?

Hyped to see it either way!

Grind King Rims

« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
I've been posting whining about the wait, but I know I'm waiting on international shipping. I'm just excited is all.  ;D

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »
I've been posting whining about the wait, but I know I'm waiting on international shipping. I'm just excited is all.  ;D

Yea I guess I am waiting for shipping to Hawaii... So that might make sense.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2016, 11:15:13 PM »
sorry if it's already been answered, but do people have individual parts or is it one big montage?

Hyped to see it either way!

Kind of both, which I love.  Totally individual parts but the music is set up in a way that the tracks often bleed from one skater to another, so it feels fluid throughout.  Best of both worlds in my opinion.

The Zach Lyons going into Marty Murawski and then Bobby Worrest is amazing.  Actually, I could name every part and talk about how perfect it is.  The intro is one of the best things ever.  All of it is too good, I have been watching it over and over all weekend.  Leaving it on as background as I do chores because the soundtrack if fucking amazing.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot