Author Topic: SPIRIT QUEST. a new video by COLIN READ  (Read 65908 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: SPIRIT QUEST. a new video by COLIN READ
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2016, 11:21:15 PM »
Truly amazing! Next level editing, you really outdid yourself. I need to see it for a third or forth time to really digest it. One of the tricks that stood out was the pop shuv to BS lipslide on the other side of the bench. Don't think I've ever seen that variation before but I'm sure as hell going to try it once I find the right spot. So does this mean we have to wait three more years for the next one or is this really the last hurrah?

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2016, 12:03:34 AM »
^ Sounds like the last hurrah but I'm going to chime in and add to people saying he should re-release Tengu-

Maybe make a new disc/discs that include Tengu, older projects, and bonus footage?  Us skate nerds would die for raw footage of all of this.

Colin, I am so bummed to hear about your back and I want you to know I truly appreciate what you did for us.  I think you could still capitalize on what you might have at least one more time.

We'll buy it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:06:15 AM by Budo »
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2016, 12:39:03 AM »
^ Sounds like the last hurrah but I'm going to chime in and add to people saying he should re-release Tengu-

Maybe make a new disc/discs that include Tengu, older projects, and bonus footage?  Us skate nerds would die for raw footage of all of this.

Colin, I am so bummed to hear about your back and I want you to know I truly appreciate what you did for us.  I think you could still capitalize on what you might have at least one more time.

We'll buy it.

This idea Maybe make a new disc/discs that include Tengu, older projects, and bonus footage?  Us skate nerds would die for raw footage of all of this.
is the greatest.

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
sorry if it's already been answered, but do people have individual parts or is it one big montage?

Hyped to see it either way!

What Budo said, it's full-ass parts but somehow feels like it's one cohesive thing. If that makes sense at all. and yeah the Marty section was such a surprise, and then the Worrest part blew me away. I think that's one of the best things about the video, I couldn't imagine another place where Bobby Worrest could share a video with Quim Cardona, or Vincent Touzery  be in a video Danny Renaud. But somehow it all works and makes perfect sense. Like rvery part is unexpected when it shows up, but then afterward it made total sense. Ok enough, I'm gonna go watch the video for the twentieth time

doyle

• Rep: 213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
And also--thanks so much to everyone who has enjoyed the video so far!  It makes everything worth it.  I lost my mind working on it for three years of my life and destroyed my body in the process.

Tengu: yeah, sorry, it's entirely gone. I actually only have one copy for myself left. I'm trying to figure out how to share it with people who want to see it still, though. I would make a reissue but so far it doesn't seem like the demand is there enough, since you have to print a DVD in high amounts to make it worth it. But we'll see. If anyone wants to see it and hasn't yet just email me for now.

I'll check in here and try to answer and questions people have too.
if the cost is the only thing that you're worried about for a reissue, let me know! i have a dvd duplicator and could make anywhere from 1-100 copies of unprotected dvds for essentially nothing.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »
^Do it Colin, I'd buy one..

Upon third viewing I think Hiroki has my fav part. Quick feet at it's finest. More stand out tricks are the FS flip over three trash cans on flat and half cab flip to firecracker. Fakie flip one was sick too. It's one of those rare video's that gets better and music sounds better the more you watch it. Really digging the kids hip hop song with the didgeridoo.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
i got to watch it yesterday. those were 2 intense hours of video. i have so many questions so im probably gonna watch this one a lot more.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2016, 08:47:44 PM »
so stoked to have this vid premiere in my hometown in mexico!
thanks again colin for hooking it up
ive just seen the first 5 minutes, its been a torture to have it there but i'd rather watch it with the locals and brews
arizona and socal pals cruise by and kick it should be real good
this wednesday  8)
edit* i'd be down to show tengu god of mischief, people here dig watching rad indy vids they'd never heard of  ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:52:07 PM by mex.ceferino »

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
YOOOOOO
clip from taylor's part

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »
so stoked to have this vid premiere in my hometown in mexico!
thanks again colin for hooking it up
ive just seen the first 5 minutes, its been a torture to have it there but i'd rather watch it with the locals and brews
arizona and socal pals cruise by and kick it should be real good
this wednesday  8)
edit* i'd be down to show tengu god of mischief, people here dig watching rad indy vids they'd never heard of  ;)

fuck man this is going to be soooooooo fucking good!
and yeah colin WE WANT TENGU! 
 its a shame i could get to watch it  nor buy it.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »
heard there will be an eventual digital release for SQ, would it be possible for Tengu as well?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
boutta put my mailbox next to the front door. Walking everyday to and turning up empty handed.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
Last night I had a lady-friend come over to my house for the first time and she was honestly interested in watching a skate video, so of course I picked Spirit Quest.  She barely knows anything about skateboarding and we skipped around the chapters but she loved it, especially the precision of the editing on the animal clips and of course the trippy night section. 

I mean sure, I was hoping to get physical with her, but sitting close on the couch seeing her be genuinely stoked on watching Spirit Quest was kind of cooler.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Randozzi

« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »
Will be showing at the DLXSF in San Francisco on the 22nd at 6pm.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
P.S. That girl also said how she loves the sounds that skateboards make, and I don't think she said that in relation to the dubbed-skateboard Connor part but now it is hitting me.  I already knew I loved skateboard sounds, but it is cool being reminded of it from a non-skater.

Spirit Quest is such a good skate video it borders on being something else.  Some artistic treat I can't explain.

Thanks again Colin!
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2016, 01:21:17 AM »
Wow. Absolutely amazing video Colin. Already watched 10 or 15 times and notice countless new things with each viewing. The video is on some fine art fifth dimension level shit but also has great, raw skating that makes you wanna hit the streets. As someone who's made a handful of my own full length vids, looking at the precision of the editing and well thought out filming is so insane. Like I pictured myself making a project like this while watching and I was just thinking "holy fuck this whole video is actually fucked". I loved the music/mixed skate audio in Connor's part. So subtle and so perfect. His part along with Vincent, Chris Jones and Hiroki are my favorite. Dang Taylor too! The way everything flows so well in Tengu is one of its best features and you took it lightyears further with spirit quest. Thanks for your contributions to skateboarding, however draining it may have been over the years

BMCsteve

« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2016, 07:17:29 AM »
Finally blocked off time to watch this yesterday and was blown away.  Great job, Colin.  I hope enough people support this video that it's worth your time to make another one (or many, many more)

StinkyLarry

• Rep: -42
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
Fuckin mail man didn't even knock, just left the "we missed you" note and dipped. Can't wait to watch this.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
watched it last night, holy shit what a great video. some really good music. the spots and the imagery spliced in worked perfectly. i only watched it once after coming home from watching "goodburger" but will definitely have to watch more during the next few days to completely take it all in. so will chime in more later but am writing to say what everyone else is saying, buy this video! damn, straight from the opening sequence I was saying "wait what? nice"

only thing im bummed on is my DVD came loose in the packaging so there was a  scratch & so I'm missing out on zach Lyons ' part :( hopefully it was just the DVD player I used but if not I'm gonna go to my homies house & watch his copy for sure
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »
I wouldn't mind having a virtual copy of the video, that is if there's any reasonable way for Colin to sell it online? Isle's Vase video had a different kind of sale mechanism which might work?

I'm saying this as I don't have anything to put a DVD in anymore.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2016, 03:36:19 PM »
watched it last night, holy shit what a great video. some really good music. the spots and the imagery spliced in worked perfectly. i only watched it once after coming home from watching "goodburger" but will definitely have to watch more during the next few days to completely take it all in. so will chime in more later but am writing to say what everyone else is saying, buy this video! damn, straight from the opening sequence I was saying "wait what? nice"

only thing im bummed on is my DVD came loose in the packaging so there was a  scratch & so I'm missing out on zach Lyons ' part :( hopefully it was just the DVD player I used but if not I'm gonna go to my homies house & watch his copy for sure

Fuck!! Sorry dude. USPS sucks dick. Email me and I'll help you out.

And I'm working on getting a digital copy up soon.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
About to buy another copy. Mine never showed up..

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »

hey man also unnecessary, just email me and i'll get it sorted.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hey man also unnecessary, just email me and i'll get it sorted.

No hard feelings. I don't mind spending the money haha. I just got your email.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2016, 11:11:42 PM »

I thought it was never going to premier here. I'll be there for sure, they'll be copies for sale after as well!

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:13 PM »
very well done :)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #266 on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:08 AM »
Watched it again this afternoon, and enjoyed it even more than the first time. So dense with great content.
This is really going to stand the test of time.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
And in a time in skating when people say they can only pay attention to a 2-4 minute webclip and they even forget that and full videos are dead, this has been rewatched more than anything else I've seen this year.

Very true. 80 minutes is a hell of a lengthy skate video by any standards, but you'd be hard-pressed to try and trim any fat from SQ.

On the first watch, despite how much I was looking forward to it, I was worried that the filming/editing/animations would overshadow the skating at some point, but it's in perfect balance.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Good looking out, Im thinking of heading out to this.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
one for the ages.