Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798018 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6600 on: September 08, 2023, 11:19:55 AM »
I skated them 5 times and walked my dog in them for around 5-6hrs. They wore in slightly the first day/sesh, but mostly the upper. The sole never wore in and I could never get used to it and skated comically shitty in them. The grip was fucking great though and honestly I wish my abilities/sensibilities didn't limit me with them as much as they did. They are a great shoe minus the leather interior, which I really did not care for. For me the flick was horrendously inconsistent.

Keep in mind that the thickest shoes I have skated since 2003 are Jordan 1/Dunks and 1010s. Neither of those is all that stiff in the scheme of things. The 480 felt like a toned down 808 to me.

tight, thank you. i haven't had much time to get on the board since getting them, so it's nice to get an idea of what i'm in for. the sole lasting is some good news for me

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 111
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6601 on: September 08, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
I’m really digging the 480s. I’ve skated them 6-7 times now and they aren’t breaking down at all like dunks typically do for me. Boardfeel is about the same as a dunk which is better than the 1010 for me. The cushion is much better overall than a dunk, as well. Leather interior is a bit off-putting but not a dealbreaker for me. I have dozens of shoes (I have a problem) yet I want to skate these more than anything else. The Boss colorway isn’t something I’d typically buy but I’ll be picking them up next week for sure.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #6602 on: September 08, 2023, 11:57:06 AM »
heard the 480s feel flatter compared to the 1010s
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #6603 on: September 08, 2023, 12:12:52 PM »
heard the 480s feel flatter compared to the 1010s

Yes. Just picked up a pair. They feel pretty standard in terms of heel-toe drop. Some people will probably find them a little tight in the toe-knuckle area, but nothing crazy. Also, the Reynolds don't have a leather interior, in case that's an issue for some people.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6604 on: September 08, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
I’m really digging the 480s. I’ve skated them 6-7 times now and they aren’t breaking down at all like dunks typically do for me. Boardfeel is about the same as a dunk which is better than the 1010 for me. The cushion is much better overall than a dunk, as well. Leather interior is a bit off-putting but not a dealbreaker for me. I have dozens of shoes (I have a problem) yet I want to skate these more than anything else. The Boss colorway isn’t something I’d typically buy but I’ll be picking them up next week for sure.

What do you weigh? This is bonkers- I posted a shoe flex video a few pages back and everyone I've talked to that has skated or worn them feels the opposite. The 1010 are softer and more pliable all around with significantly better boardfeel.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 111
« Reply #6605 on: September 08, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you weigh? This is bonkers- I posted a shoe flex video a few pages back and everyone I've talked to that has skated or worn them feels the opposite. The 1010 are softer and more pliable all around with significantly better boardfeel.

Appropriate question—I’m almost 240 so the firmness of the 480 is dreamy for me. The forefoot of dunks generally packs out too quick on me with the stock insole and the 1010 is just too much cushion in the heel for my tastes. That said, I only skate transition be it mini ramp or bigger parks so I want to feel something. I also have nagging sciatic pain that the 480 just seems to work better for than the 1010.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #6606 on: September 08, 2023, 01:28:00 PM »
@rothdigga What do you think the chances of getting Numeric added as a category on the main NB website store locator?

I'm trying to call around to see who's gonna have the 480BOS next Friday but it would be way easier with a list from the store locator. As it is, I know Long Beach will have them but that is so very far.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6607 on: September 08, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Having skated mine for the past few weeks and skating 1010s for the past couple years, I'd say they are more or less the same when it comes to board feel. Maybe the heel on the 480s sits slightly higher but aside from that, not too different to me. I only weigh 150lbs but I skate fairly high impact so I tend to break in shoes within a couple long sessions.

1010s have a little more arch support and "cup" your foot more while the 480's are flatter and have a more "firm" sense of cushioning, mostly due to the Abzorb insole sitting on top of the fuel cell instead of the typical ortholite. If you swap both insoles it makes the 1010s feel firmer and the 480s more plush/soft on foot. 480s feel wayyyyy better to me on foot than the 808s which I bought like 6 months ago but still haven't skated because those truly feel like bricks to me.

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
« Reply #6608 on: September 08, 2023, 03:44:19 PM »
@rothdigga What do you think the chances of getting Numeric added as a category on the main NB website store locator?

I'm trying to call around to see who's gonna have the 480BOS next Friday but it would be way easier with a list from the store locator. As it is, I know Long Beach will have them but that is so very far.

You know what's crazy?  I totally agree with you but for whatever reason the store locator stuff is always a manual process and never ever gets updated because someone has to handle that.  You would think order entry systems and the website would link together but they don't currently.  No company I've worked at had a good way to do their store locators to be honest so it's always been a manual data entry.  I wish it was different and way easier. 
But I'm here for you...where you live?  I'll be your store locator.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #6609 on: September 08, 2023, 09:28:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You know what's crazy?  I totally agree with you but for whatever reason the store locator stuff is always a manual process and never ever gets updated because someone has to handle that.  You would think order entry systems and the website would link together but they don't currently.  No company I've worked at had a good way to do their store locators to be honest so it's always been a manual data entry.  I wish it was different and way easier. 
I figured it might not be so easy since it wasn't already done but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

I'm in West LA and I think Brooklyn Projects has got me. It's pretty fucking barren on the farther west side so I was kinda loathe to even search my zip and skate shop but that one seemed obvious. The rent must be too damn high over here. Thanks for the info!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #6610 on: September 08, 2023, 10:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I figured it might not be so easy since it wasn't already done but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

I'm in West LA and I think Brooklyn Projects has got me. It's pretty fucking barren on the farther west side so I was kinda loathe to even search my zip and skate shop but that one seemed obvious. The rent must be too damn high over here. Thanks for the info!

What part of the west side?  Brooklyn Projects is not very close

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6611 on: September 09, 2023, 12:54:37 PM »
Has anyone skated the 480 and the 508 and could comment on how they would compare? Seems the consensus is the 480 is really stiff.

Also, can we please get new/not ugly color ways of the 508

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #6612 on: September 10, 2023, 11:49:31 AM »
Skateing the 480 right now and I have to say it's my favorite shoe I've ever skated. I'm also ridiculously picky. I can't skate vulc shoes they hurt my feet, but a 808, dunk or 1010 make me feel disconnected from my board. The soles on these are nicely tooled out so your foot sits low in the shoe, but also, the Fuelcell in the sole ads so much protection under your foot.

I have been skating 440s recently but have felt they are too thin, especially under the ball of my foot. But these feel like a nice half way point between a 440 & 1010. Or like a more skate friendly dunk.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6613 on: September 10, 2023, 01:04:46 PM »
I have been skating 440s recently but have felt they are too thin, especially under the ball of my foot. But these feel like a nice half way point between a 440 & 1010. Or like a more skate friendly dunk.

had a good long, but not hugely crazy, session on mine today as well and feeling similar. really enjoy this shoe, i think @ok said it in an earlier post that you can just forget about the shoes and skate well or something along those lines.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #6614 on: September 10, 2023, 02:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Appropriate question—I’m almost 240 so the firmness of the 480 is dreamy for me. The forefoot of dunks generally packs out too quick on me with the stock insole and the 1010 is just too much cushion in the heel for my tastes. That said, I only skate transition be it mini ramp or bigger parks so I want to feel something. I also have nagging sciatic pain that the 480 just seems to work better for than the 1010.
I'm a few pounds heavier and love them too. For me, they're the right amount of softness/firmness. I hate the 808s cause mine don't budge, the sole is like a rock. I need a little spring in my step.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6615 on: September 10, 2023, 05:48:16 PM »
A 1010 is flexier, thinner in the toe, cups the foot more, and is about the same width in the rear. I don't get why people keep insisting they're a halfway point (the ones that aren't over 200lbs) when they're kind of a different type of design.

I've got a friend that has skated dunks religiously for a decade who recently tried them and is pretty sold. He finds them stiffer, but the upper is much thinner/hugs the foot more without so much bulk near the collar that it's just a much better fit.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6616 on: September 11, 2023, 05:27:38 AM »
Haven't skated vulcs in a while but I keep reading that 417 are like a "thick vulc" just like 440 are "a thin cup" so that's enough to make me curious. In 808 I skate a size 8 or 8.5 (8.5 feels better but 8 is ok). Taking all of this in consideration should I go for 8.5 on the 417? Same question regarding 480.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6617 on: September 11, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
Haven't skated vulcs in a while but I keep reading that 417 are like a "thick vulc" just like 440 are "a thin cup" so that's enough to make me curious. In 808 I skate a size 8 or 8.5 (8.5 feels better but 8 is ok). Taking all of this in consideration should I go for 8.5 on the 417? Same question regarding 480.

I would whole heartedly disagree and say it’s not a think vulc. That’s just me though.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #6618 on: September 11, 2023, 10:23:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would whole heartedly disagree and say it’s not a think vulc. That’s just me though.

Images from weartested. Definitely the most basic of basic vulcs you can get. Even the foy has the eggshell in the heel.

Foy 306

Franky 417
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #6619 on: September 11, 2023, 10:44:08 AM »
What's weird about the weartested 417 image is that it doesn't seem to have the orange foam wedge that is under the insole in the 417s I saw at the shop. 

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #6620 on: September 11, 2023, 11:30:24 AM »
What's weird about the weartested 417 image is that it doesn't seem to have the orange foam wedge that is under the insole in the 417s I saw at the shop.
Doesn’t nb numeric update their models if the original release needs some tweaks?

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #6621 on: September 11, 2023, 11:40:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Doesn’t nb numeric update their models if the original release needs some tweaks?
Yeah, but I was looking at the green ones which were in the initial launch and the same that weartested reviewed.  Maybe someone from NB knows why?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6622 on: September 11, 2023, 11:50:14 AM »
I want to see Weartested do a cutaway of the 480. Looking at their cutaways it felt a lot like the 808 looked in terms of the foam in the forefoot. There's no point in a 440 cutaway since there ain't shit there.

I bought some black 440 with a white tongue off of Poshmark. I am not sure when they are from, but they have been the longest lasting 440 I have had its weird.

caviar

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6623 on: September 11, 2023, 12:29:20 PM »
480 sizing feels a bit weird to me, coming from skating 808 and 1010 exclusively for the last year and a half. Also upper started separating from the outsole after about 10 minutes of skating. Anyone else have anything like this happen with their 480s?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6624 on: September 11, 2023, 12:48:53 PM »
480 sizing feels a bit weird to me, coming from skating 808 and 1010 exclusively for the last year and a half. Also upper started separating from the outsole after about 10 minutes of skating. Anyone else have anything like this happen with their 480s?

My size 13 480 fit better than my size 14 808s. Mine are holding up nicely. Looks like those are defective 😖

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
« Reply #6625 on: September 11, 2023, 12:54:31 PM »

That does look like a bit of a defect.  I don't know/think I can get you a replacement pair of 480's since they're mostly sold out but shoot me a DM with your info and I'll try to sort you out.  I already know offering this that you probably live in The Sudan or Bangladesh or somewhere else that will be a fortune to ship to...ha.  Such is the SLAP way whenever I offer these services. 

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #6626 on: September 12, 2023, 04:59:09 AM »
What’s the overall consensus on 480 sizing. 8 in adidas and cons cupsoles but know Numeric sizing can be wonky.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6627 on: September 12, 2023, 06:13:37 AM »
I want to see Weartested do a cutaway of the 480. Looking at their cutaways it felt a lot like the 808 looked in terms of the foam in the forefoot. There's no point in a 440 cutaway since there ain't shit there.

I bought some black 440 with a white tongue off of Poshmark. I am not sure when they are from, but they have been the longest lasting 440 I have had its weird.
I’m tempted to cut my 13s in half, but it seems so wasteful. Maybe I’ll do it to a pair once they’re bald. I plan on grabbing every colorway.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6628 on: September 12, 2023, 08:59:29 AM »
What’s the overall consensus on 480 sizing. 8 in adidas and cons cupsoles but know Numeric sizing can be wonky.

I have actually always found Adidas and cons sizing to be wonky.

I wear a 10 in every NB. I tried Busenitz on the other day and had to go up to an 11 before they felt right. Cons fastbreak I am a 9.5.

What I have found helpful is looking at the euro sizing 43 1/3- 44 is usually what fit best
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #6629 on: September 12, 2023, 02:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have actually always found Adidas and cons sizing to be wonky.

I wear a 10 in every NB. I tried Busenitz on the other day and had to go up to an 11 before they felt right. Cons fastbreak I am a 9.5.

What I have found helpful is looking at the euro sizing 43 1/3- 44 is usually what fit best

My foot is consistently an 8 in their cups. So weird. Will try an 8.

Miss your fits in the post a fit thread. 😉
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus