Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 799090 times)

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6660 on: September 14, 2023, 07:52:05 AM »
I thought about that when I heard Tom was getting a shoe. Hopefully they don’t spread themselves too thin. I imagine they’ll phase some older models out eventually.

It’s not really about if they’re good or not. You don’t want to flood the market. Then you’ll have a bunch of shoes sitting in shops and soon they’ll be in outlet stores.

I’m sure it’ll be fine though. But I’ll be hoarding 480s. Gonna get every pair. The size 14s feel so nice 🤤
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 08:00:26 AM by OhioGuy »

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #6661 on: September 14, 2023, 08:31:08 AM »
fuck i wish i didn't see those reynolds 480s, i've halted all gear buying because i have a surplus of shit i will never ever get through, but i don't think i'll be able to resist those, such a great fall colorway

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #6662 on: September 14, 2023, 08:38:25 AM »
fuck foy, marry the 1010, kill the rest

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6663 on: September 14, 2023, 08:41:16 AM »
I thought about that when I heard Tom was getting a shoe. Hopefully they don’t spread themselves too thin. I imagine they’ll phase some older models out eventually.

It’s not really about if they’re good or not. You don’t want to flood the market. Then you’ll have a bunch of shoes sitting in shops and soon they’ll be in outlet stores.

I’m sure it’ll be fine though. But I’ll be hoarding 480s. Gonna get every pair. The size 14s feel so nice 🤤

A shoe is a shoe, wether pro model or not. We didn't need a 574 NB# it didn't offer anything new to the market. Would work the same with pro models. Kill off the 574 vulc and give a model to TomK.

Also as someone that works for a retail company, our outlets stores do crazy numbers. There is also a lot that goes into that business unit as a whole. Whole teams making decisions of what products hit outlets and at what price. They do a really good job of saving our brand while offering discounted items.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6664 on: September 14, 2023, 09:33:27 AM »
Expand Quote
But how many pro models de we need? It’s a balance between the mainline models and pro models

Franky
Foy
Tiago
Westgate
Tom Knox (soon)
Reynolds (on the way)
[close]

struggling to see the logic in this post
Seems he's complaining about having too many pro models on the roster (?)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6665 on: September 14, 2023, 10:09:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A shoe is a shoe, wether pro model or not. We didn't need a 574 NB# it didn't offer anything new to the market. Would work the same with pro models. Kill off the 574 vulc and give a model to TomK.

Also as someone that works for a retail company, our outlets stores do crazy numbers. There is also a lot that goes into that business unit as a whole. Whole teams making decisions of what products hit outlets and at what price. They do a really good job of saving our brand while offering discounted items.
That’s great to hear. I’ll take your word on it. I was just speaking as an outsider.

————

Shop messed up and sent the wrong color, so now I have two pairs of 14s for the price of one.

Gonna grab the Reynolds from them tomorrow. They’ve earned a loyal customer.

I want to start wearing these right away but don’t feel like regripping my board. The 13s are snug but the tred has worn away nicely. So I’m conflicted.

These shoes are super grippy out the box.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 10:28:12 AM by OhioGuy »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6666 on: September 14, 2023, 10:34:40 AM »

That has nothing to do with there being pro models, but a brand creating too many models and colors that do not sell AND requiring shops to carry more stock than they can sell. Lots of the examples come from poorly thought out pro models and colorways. The Kader Eras didn't sell for shit and you get lots of Nikes that are redundant and end up hitting their outlets.

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6667 on: September 14, 2023, 11:28:06 AM »
fuck i wish i didn't see those reynolds 480s, i've halted all gear buying because i have a surplus of shit i will never ever get through, but i don't think i'll be able to resist those, such a great fall colorway

hit the nail right on the head, this is 1000% me right now too. way too many pairs rn to justify buying these but it's such a good fall cw and I don't think these will sit

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #6668 on: September 14, 2023, 12:35:43 PM »
But how many pro models de we need? It’s a balance between the mainline models and pro models

Franky
Foy
Tiago
Westgate
Tom Knox (soon)
Reynolds (on the way)

I don’t necessarily disagree- his shoe would likely be in the 200/300 range, but cmon he’s a popular beloved dude who was on the original team.   I’d just love to see that get rewarded

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #6669 on: September 14, 2023, 12:44:54 PM »
Expand Quote

Franky
Foy
Tiago
Westgate
Tom Knox (soon)
Reynolds (on the way)
[close]

I don’t necessarily disagree- his shoe would likely be in the 200/300 range, but cmon he’s a popular beloved dude who was on the original team.   I’d just love to see that get rewarded

This may sound glib but the only thing Tom K doesnt have that they do is instagram followers.  Can we all get the word out to raise this man’s social media profile a bit?  He deserves it.

I think Cookie would be next after him, in my mind, but I’m also a big C3 guy.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6670 on: September 14, 2023, 01:17:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Franky
Foy
Tiago
Westgate
Tom Knox (soon)
Reynolds (on the way)
[close]

[close]
Seems he's complaining about having too many pro models on the roster (?)
Oh not at all - as someone mentioned the pro models have been good (!) and are selling well. Was just raising the discussion. How should it be balanced? Ishod, Nyah, Leo, janoski, GT (if that counts) etc etc

Daydream

« Reply #6671 on: September 14, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »
Damn, my local only has 8-12 size allocation. Looks like i'm on the hunt for a 13

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6672 on: September 14, 2023, 01:30:37 PM »
Damn, my local only has 8-12 size allocation. Looks like i'm on the hunt for a 13
Of the Reynolds’s colorway?

Daydream

« Reply #6673 on: September 14, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yes  8)

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6674 on: September 14, 2023, 03:41:32 PM »

Can relate. I already warned the wife. It’s a new balance, cupsole, and it’s got Reynolds’s name on it. Instant buy. Shits going to get real bad whenever his actual signature shoe gets released, because I’m be buying all of them.

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6675 on: September 14, 2023, 04:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Franky
Foy
Tiago
Westgate
Tom Knox (soon)
Reynolds (on the way)
[close]

Same. Maybe for NB, but what does it matter for us consumers? If anything, more options is a good thing.

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #6676 on: September 14, 2023, 04:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yes  8)

13's my man ... https://thepremierstore.com/blogs/product/nb-480-x-reynolds

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6677 on: September 14, 2023, 04:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Franky
Foy
Tiago
Westgate
Tom Knox (soon)
Reynolds (on the way)
[close]

[close]

Same. Maybe for NB, but what does it matter for us consumers? If anything, more options is a good thing.

If anything it’s a way to differentiate from the other corp brands

Daydream

« Reply #6678 on: September 14, 2023, 05:27:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yes  8)
[close]

13's my man ... https://thepremierstore.com/blogs/product/nb-480-x-reynolds
yes, 10am tomorrow . Got my eye on it!

aksanaom

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6679 on: September 14, 2023, 08:51:10 PM »
How's this new 480 going to compare to the 808 you think? I'm looking for something supportive with some heft, not too concerned about board feel, but not overly cushiony.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6680 on: September 14, 2023, 08:55:50 PM »
How's this new 480 going to compare to the 808 you think? I'm looking for something supportive with some heft, not too concerned about board feel, but not overly cushiony.
808s are clunky and the soles are hard. 480s are way more comfortable. They’re a nice middle ground between a 440 and 808 IMHO.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6681 on: September 14, 2023, 09:51:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how rare is this colorway going to be in the future, is it a bite the bullet and stock up situation?
[close]
Do they ever go back and make more of a certain colorway? I feel like when they’re gone, they’re gone.

With that said, I think you’ll be able to find them a month after release. You can still get the other two colors with a quick Google search.
[close]

yeah the only one off the top of my head is the beef & broccoli 1010 that got a second run. maybe one of the other nb models has but i can't think of any
fingers crossed for my wallet
[close]
Don't forget the Slap edition of the 440! That was a reup of previous season's colorway.

Expand Quote
What part of the west side?  Brooklyn Projects is not very close
[close]
Sorry @Atiba Applebum I somehow got unsubbed to this thread. I am technically in Helms but I dunno if that rings any bells. Culver City art district adjacent as in across the street is a CC zip and I am on the other side in an LA zip. If you know of any decent shops over here that I am overlooking please let me know!
[close]

I think they’re some Xtreme Boardshops in Culver that carry NB.   Never been there in person, just looked at their IG, so I don’t know if it’s more Zumiez than Pharmacy
[close]
That one is at Fox Hills Mall so it's pretty Zumie. I think that may be the problem; that mall had, last time I went there pre-Covid, Xtreme, a Zumiez and a Vans store so maybe if you look at it on paper, the area is overserved. Xtreme reminds me of the mall stores I shopped at in Texas in the late 80s. Pretty lifestyle oriented and corporate but at least they have this season's gear and the people working the counter skate/d.

It does blow my mind that there's not at least one core shop over here. Tons of kids skate in my neighborhood. We got an ice cream truck that sells bearings and hardware because we don't have a core shop. It's weird. I do appreciate your help though!

Def more zoomies, but they do have a good deck selection to go stand on shit. Plus, you can go skate the curbs under the overpass =D

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6682 on: September 15, 2023, 12:22:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how rare is this colorway going to be in the future, is it a bite the bullet and stock up situation?
[close]
Do they ever go back and make more of a certain colorway? I feel like when they’re gone, they’re gone.

With that said, I think you’ll be able to find them a month after release. You can still get the other two colors with a quick Google search.
[close]

yeah the only one off the top of my head is the beef & broccoli 1010 that got a second run. maybe one of the other nb models has but i can't think of any
fingers crossed for my wallet
[close]
Don't forget the Slap edition of the 440! That was a reup of previous season's colorway.

Expand Quote
What part of the west side?  Brooklyn Projects is not very close
[close]
Sorry @Atiba Applebum I somehow got unsubbed to this thread. I am technically in Helms but I dunno if that rings any bells. Culver City art district adjacent as in across the street is a CC zip and I am on the other side in an LA zip. If you know of any decent shops over here that I am overlooking please let me know!
[close]

I think they’re some Xtreme Boardshops in Culver that carry NB.   Never been there in person, just looked at their IG, so I don’t know if it’s more Zumiez than Pharmacy
[close]
That one is at Fox Hills Mall so it's pretty Zumie. I think that may be the problem; that mall had, last time I went there pre-Covid, Xtreme, a Zumiez and a Vans store so maybe if you look at it on paper, the area is overserved. Xtreme reminds me of the mall stores I shopped at in Texas in the late 80s. Pretty lifestyle oriented and corporate but at least they have this season's gear and the people working the counter skate/d.

It does blow my mind that there's not at least one core shop over here. Tons of kids skate in my neighborhood. We got an ice cream truck that sells bearings and hardware because we don't have a core shop. It's weird. I do appreciate your help though!
[close]

Def more zoomies, but they do have a good deck selection to go stand on shit. Plus, you can go skate the curbs under the overpass =D

Isn’t there one at the Westfield Mall (or whatever that big outdoor mall is called)?   Not the biggest ringing endorsement for a core skate shop I know

Daydream

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6684 on: September 15, 2023, 06:35:17 AM »
Seems like a lot of shops stop at 12. I snagged the only pair of 14s from: https://kineticskateboarding.com/products/new-balance-numeric-480-brown-brown

Not sure when I’ll wear them since I have two pairs on ice.  Now it’s time to wait for the next drop 🥲

Daydream

« Reply #6685 on: September 15, 2023, 07:04:10 AM »
Got a 13 from premier, phew. OOS after I grabbed at 10:01

https://thepremierstore.com/products/480-x-reynolds?variant=40485715345473

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6686 on: September 15, 2023, 07:04:46 AM »
Kinetic always coming thru, love those guys there and at Noc. I copped my pair at midnight from Coureur Goods in NH, cant wait

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 129
« Reply #6687 on: September 15, 2023, 07:16:51 AM »
Ordered The Boss shoes from Orchard at midnight. Checked back and 10.5 was sold out online after 2 hours. Going to wear them as chillers. I still have the Reynolds old skools, also chillers.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #6688 on: September 15, 2023, 08:15:16 AM »
Was able to get the Reynolds 480 from Premier.  Had a whirlwind of a day yesterday..  went with my mom to put down her dog (my little brother of 11 years), went on a horrible date that I drove an hour to get to, got home and got drunk.  Woke up this morning like there was something I needed to do, and I remembered they came out today.  Close call lol.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6689 on: September 15, 2023, 08:22:27 AM »
not even going to deal with trying to search all day for my size, waiting until the 18th

edit: lol before someone has a hissy fit, the shops are out of my size. get over it, i tried.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 08:44:19 AM by iw0 »