Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798065 times)

CowboyDan (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6870 on: September 20, 2023, 05:14:19 PM »

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6871 on: September 20, 2023, 05:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
NB#: we're changing the 440 because it doesn't look good on shelves due to the toe raise
also NB#: we're putting out a shoe with both the heel AND toe raised!
[close]

I think it’d be too powerful otherwise.   I do like it a lot.   Want it to have that Silas 1 grey colorway

yeah don't get me wrong, i'm also very into it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #6872 on: September 20, 2023, 06:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
NB#: we're changing the 440 because it doesn't look good on shelves due to the toe raise
[close]

I think it’d be too powerful otherwise.   I do like it a lot.   Want it to have that Silas 1 grey colorway
[close]

I guess it does make sense, if Tom liked the 440 so much to give this one the same sole curve

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #6873 on: September 20, 2023, 07:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess it does make sense, if Tom liked the 440 so much to give this one the same sole curve
His love for the 440 is what has me concerned about this shoe. I wonder if it also has no padding in the forefoot.

Edit: Concerned is the wrong word. I’m sure it’ll be another great shoe. But if its sole is like the 440 it won’t work for me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 08:49:23 PM by OhioGuy »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6875 on: September 20, 2023, 10:14:57 PM »
They look nothing like a KCK it uses a similar toe cap and side panel to a 1010 with a 288-ish sole, and otherwise standard paneling with a few unique tweaks.

A KCK just ripped off a Reebok Workout.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 07:01:51 AM by LebowskisRug »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6876 on: September 20, 2023, 10:16:09 PM »
Oh I like these a lot too. Something about that toe cap shape with the extra piece that goes into the sidewall is really satisfying. Maybe it's because it kind of reminds me of the 990 line?
Finally a NB# shoe that I don't like, my pockets are happy 😁
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FunisLow

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6877 on: September 21, 2023, 01:53:40 AM »
better or worse?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6878 on: September 21, 2023, 02:15:41 AM »
Calling those KCK wannabes makes as much sense* as people thinking Leo’s shoe looks like Omar’s Nike. 

This and Franky’s I’m very interested in seeing Grey Days versions of.    Did the 508 ever get one?

*very little

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #6879 on: September 21, 2023, 02:20:17 AM »
better or worse?
Hmm maybe slightly worse but since you highlighted it is there some kind of rubber but in the Ollie hole area? Seems wierd to put less suede in the area that wears out the quickest.

For me I'd probably put black laces in and maybe prefer the other white parts be black or green

FunisLow

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6880 on: September 21, 2023, 04:37:19 AM »

[/quote]
Hmm maybe slightly worse but since you highlighted it is there some kind of rubber but in the Ollie hole area? Seems wierd to put less suede in the area that wears out the quickest.
[/quote]

Yes, but now it seems strange to me that there's a hole right in the Ollie area. This always bothers me, and with some NB and Adidas models, I often feel that this area isn't adequately protected/reinforced (even though it wears out the most). With these shoes, the surface seems thinner right there, despite receiving some surface treatment/covering. Optically, it could have been resolved: there are no cutouts and seams; the shape of the upper coating defines this design. The Ollie patch "comes back," which I don't consider a bad solution; it might not be so distracting in black or dark gray.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #6881 on: September 21, 2023, 06:14:57 AM »

Those look good, if the right colourway came along I'd consider buying them. Currently skating a pair of the 440 hi in white/gum/green and loving it.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6882 on: September 21, 2023, 11:48:21 AM »
They look nothing like a KCK it uses a similar toe cap and side panel to a 1010 with a 288-ish sole, and otherwise standard paneling with a few unique tweaks.

A KCK just ripped off a Reebok Workout.

Yeah and a KCK doesn't even have an exposed foam midsole. Very poor comparison.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6883 on: September 21, 2023, 12:06:35 PM »
Oh I like these a lot too. Something about that toe cap shape with the extra piece that goes into the sidewall is really satisfying. Maybe it's because it kind of reminds me of the 990 line?
To me the side panel next to the end and the toe cap shape near the tip are a lot like the 1010, heel is a thinner suede 440 heel cup, and a 288 sole. The hole in the ollie area is a little weird at first glance, but I don't think there will be much wear there or that is not where my 440 and 1010 wear. The 1010 has a smaller, similar hole that is never a wear issue.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
« Reply #6884 on: September 21, 2023, 12:59:35 PM »
I've come to peace with most nb models having the standard N branding but that Knox shoe realllly made me wish they made an exception with that model. That upper would look very good to me without a logo.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #6885 on: September 21, 2023, 01:01:26 PM »
It's super similar to a Reebok Workout as someone else said above already. Nothing groundbreaking but if it's what Knox wanted... so be it. I think it looks good, has a very skate shoe look to it.

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6886 on: September 21, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
They also look like a lakai staple… and probably any other shoe with that type of sole

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #6887 on: September 21, 2023, 01:27:00 PM »
I’m just wondering how the 600s would feel on a board with the double raised situation going on.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #6888 on: September 21, 2023, 01:34:37 PM »
I’m just wondering how the 600s would feel on a board with the double raised situation going on.

It's the twin-tail of toebock shoes.... and it kinda makes me wonder if there's a 3rd option in the flat earth vs round earth debate.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6889 on: September 21, 2023, 01:43:35 PM »
I wonder that's the train of thought on this one. Knox fav shoes were 868 and 440 and those 600 look nothing like those. Maybe there's a little 868 going on there if
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6890 on: September 21, 2023, 02:35:35 PM »
I've come to peace with most nb models having the standard N branding but that Knox shoe realllly made me wish they made an exception with that model. That upper would look very good to me without a logo.

With the black one I feel if the N used the smoother material as the outline and suede in the middle it would blend really well. It often stands out too much due to the material and colors of the outline and main N. This is where the new 440 will be interesting because it actually blends decently well on that blue proto that is floating around but could do any which way.

mini greek

« Reply #6891 on: September 21, 2023, 03:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
His love for the 440 is what has me concerned about this shoe. I wonder if it also has no padding in the forefoot.

Edit: Concerned is the wrong word. I’m sure it’ll be another great shoe. But if its sole is like the 440 it won’t work for me.

It's not the same midsole as the 440. Y'all are gonna go nuts for Toms shoe. Just one more month of waiting....
Get litty.....

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6892 on: September 21, 2023, 03:17:32 PM »
They also look like a lakai staple… and probably any other shoe with that type of sole

The Staple was a big rip off of a Fila

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
« Reply #6893 on: September 21, 2023, 05:25:29 PM »
It's super similar to a Reebok Workout as someone else said above already. Nothing groundbreaking but if it's what Knox wanted... so be it. I think it looks good, has a very skate shoe look to it.

Wtf?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #6894 on: September 21, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »
I will be buying the 600 if it is under $120

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6895 on: September 21, 2023, 05:39:12 PM »
I will be buying the 600 if it is under $120

It looked like they were 100 but that’s from the currency calculator on that UK site that had the pics

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #6896 on: September 21, 2023, 06:30:11 PM »
Quick update on my 480s.

Unfortunately, like most NB# cup soles, the arch area of the shoes are just too narrow for my foot. My arches ache terribly after skating in, or just wearing these shoes. I took out the insoles and cut out the material in the arch. They feel less painful now but it feels like my mid foot is sitting over the edges of the sole.

God damnit, these too!?  The insanely narrow arch area is the only reason I haven’t been able to try any NBs, though I’d love to.  These looked wider in pics but I guess the wait will continue.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6897 on: September 21, 2023, 06:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Quick update on my 480s.

Unfortunately, like most NB# cup soles, the arch area of the shoes are just too narrow for my foot. My arches ache terribly after skating in, or just wearing these shoes. I took out the insoles and cut out the material in the arch. They feel less painful now but it feels like my mid foot is sitting over the edges of the sole.
[close]

God damnit, these too!?  The insanely narrow arch area is the only reason I haven’t been able to try any NBs, though I’d love to.  These looked wider in pics but I guess the wait will continue.

The 1010s, the 440, and a handful of Adidas cupsoles have this narrow mid/rear foot narrowness going on that just doesn't please my feet either.

Blazer mids (surprisingly) and specific soletech cups are wider back there, so I heavily lean into skating those. I'm waiting for my Reynolds 480s to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, they aren't super narrow in the arch for me once on feet. I definitely plan on experimenting with insoles if I can remove the stock 480 to make it optimal.

Also, @Watson I'm echoing the same sentiment, as the only similarity I see is the sole and the heel quarter panel. Everything else is noticeably different. Different enough to see that NB/Tom took inspiration from models like these and crafted something entirely new that feels unique to NB.

The 600 looks like a 288S and a 1010 had a lovechild
Super Champion Fun Zone

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6898 on: September 21, 2023, 07:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick update on my 480s.

[close]

[close]

The 1010s, the 440, and a handful of Adidas cupsoles have this narrow mid/rear foot narrowness going on that just doesn't please my feet either.

Blazer mids (surprisingly) and specific soletech cups are wider back there, so I heavily lean into skating those. I'm waiting for my Reynolds 480s to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, they aren't super narrow in the arch for me once on feet. I definitely plan on experimenting with insoles if I can remove the stock 480 to make it optimal.

Also, @Watson I'm echoing the same sentiment, as the only similarity I see is the sole and the heel quarter panel. Everything else is noticeably different. Different enough to see that NB/Tom took inspiration from models like these and crafted something entirely new that feels unique to NB.

I think the NB guy who isn’t Roth said it was called the 600 because it was based off a 600 in the NB line and my guess is it was an indoor soccer shoe which is why the white one says INDOOR on the heel panel

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6899 on: September 21, 2023, 07:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick update on my 480s.

[close]

[close]

I feel like I have a pretty wide foot. I don’t like most Nike’s as a result, and I’ve had no issues with the 480 fit. I don’t typically have to order widths outside of what is normally produced as standard, but some of those standard shoes are too narrow.

The 480 might be my favorite NB cup right now, and I didn’t think there would be anything I liked more than the 1010. Based on some of the comments that I feel like are different than my experience, I’m half convinced my foot is either more normal than I thought, or more fucked up, and I’m not sure which it is.