Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 988068 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #8700 on: September 07, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »
Man GMNs (not NMB trash ;)) were so good. Best you can get are ML or Indy GP-S metals.

Everyone skated the GMNs (mostly because that's all the shops carried). I remember my first shop gig, we had two boxes of Swiss that NEVER sold, they were there forever until I nabbed a set on heavy discount.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #8701 on: September 07, 2023, 06:35:24 PM »
Man GMNs (not NMB trash ;)) were so good. Best you can get are ML or Indy GP-S metals.

Everyone skated the GMNs (mostly because that's all the shops carried). I remember my first shop gig, we had two boxes of Swiss that NEVER sold, they were there forever until I nabbed a set on heavy discount.

gmns were the shit!
i thought i remember nmbs being ok. maybe both had a heavier grease? doesn’t matter i was a mouth breathing dip shit who would just spray wd40 in the vague direction of my board staining the family shed. 

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #8702 on: September 07, 2023, 07:45:07 PM »
Got this chico stix x brian lotti board in the mail today, beyond stoked on this. It’s a wall board for sure although part of me wants to skate it

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8703 on: September 07, 2023, 10:51:31 PM »
Got this chico stix x brian lotti board in the mail today, beyond stoked on this. It’s a wall board for sure although part of me wants to skate it

That warning sticker totally looks like PS Stix.

Any indication if it is BBS (as previously said by others) or if Chico is also now with the professor on the PS Stix wood?

Edit:

I went and had a look and he credits the professor, so yes this guest board is PS Stix.

Copying your post to the Woodshop thread too.

Thanks for the great pics of the board.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #8704 on: September 09, 2023, 07:53:04 AM »
Lakai Telford Welsh
Spits Classics 53mm 99d
3 sheets of Miles

all with a voucher my wife got me for our wedding anniversary.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #8705 on: September 09, 2023, 10:55:02 AM »
50% off order came in from Active:

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #8706 on: September 09, 2023, 07:12:45 PM »
Just got some slappy hollow 8.5’s and 53mm spitfire radials.

boneless900

• Rep: 60
« Reply #8707 on: September 10, 2023, 08:41:57 AM »
Girl Rick Howard Mouse One-Off, 8.5 G096 Shape x2
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 04:59:59 PM by boneless900 »

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #8708 on: September 11, 2023, 04:25:55 PM »
One of those Old Bones knee compression sleeves with the springs in the sides. I was not digging the advertising, but gave in when my last sleeve blew out in a month or so.

First thoughts are that the fit is better and is more comfortable than any other medium support brace or sleeve I've tried. It's long, reaching from mid thigh well down past my knee onto my shin. Feels snug and keeps things tight in the joint, which is exactly what I need. Only wish they had the plain black one in my size.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

G_Money

• Rep: 11
« Reply #8709 on: September 12, 2023, 03:09:45 AM »
Picked up a DGK “ufo” deck for the wall.

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #8710 on: September 12, 2023, 08:38:00 AM »
One of those Old Bones knee compression sleeves with the springs in the sides. I was not digging the advertising, but gave in when my last sleeve blew out in a month or so.

First thoughts are that the fit is better and is more comfortable than any other medium support brace or sleeve I've tried. It's long, reaching from mid thigh well down past my knee onto my shin. Feels snug and keeps things tight in the joint, which is exactly what I need. Only wish they had the plain black one in my size.

My knee has been through it this summer and every knee compression that I find in stores like the nike ones don't really do anything as far as real support and lining things up correctly, feel more like a piece of legging on top of my knee, do these actually give good support compared to other ones out there?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8711 on: September 12, 2023, 02:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My knee has been through it this summer and every knee compression that I find in stores like the nike ones don't really do anything as far as real support and lining things up correctly, feel more like a piece of legging on top of my knee, do these actually give good support compared to other ones out there?

I'm wondering if the nike/other ones you've tried are that thin compression "dry fit" type material, or were they thicker, more substantial, woven type material?

I have lingering instability and unhealed meniscus damage from stair jumping days, and these provide enough support for my situation. They're made of a stretchy type of woven material that holds its shape, plus this one has the metal springs sewn into the sides that make it a bit more rigid and supportive.

If that's not enough, I'd look into a brace with adjustable straps or even a hinged brace. I moved away from them when I was sick of restricted movement, but they definitely lock you in tight.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #8712 on: September 12, 2023, 05:28:10 PM »
Yet another pair of NB 212s before they completely disappear. Not sure what I'm going to do when that happens. Daddies20, thank you.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #8713 on: September 12, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »
Ordered some shoes from a shop, they sent me the wrong color, and now they’re sending me the right ones. Not sure if I should send back the old ones or keep both?

Technically, I know you don’t have to send back the wrong ones, but it feels wrong to keep ‘em lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:20:39 PM by OhioGuy »

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #8714 on: September 12, 2023, 06:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm wondering if the nike/other ones you've tried are that thin compression "dry fit" type material, or were they thicker, more substantial, woven type material?

I have lingering instability and unhealed meniscus damage from stair jumping days, and these provide enough support for my situation. They're made of a stretchy type of woven material that holds its shape, plus this one has the metal springs sewn into the sides that make it a bit more rigid and supportive.

If that's not enough, I'd look into a brace with adjustable straps or even a hinged brace. I moved away from them when I was sick of restricted movement, but they definitely lock you in tight.

Ok cool, yeah the ones i tried were in like a Marshall’s/sierra or walgreens but didn’t feel anything like what you’re describing. Prob will check it out cus my inner/behind knee needs it. Thanks for the info!

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #8715 on: September 13, 2023, 02:15:19 AM »
Ordered some shoes from a shop, they sent me the wrong color, and now they’re sending me the right ones. Not sure if I should send back the old ones or keep both?

Technically, I know you don’t have to send back the wrong ones, but it feels wrong to keep ‘em lol

they made a mistake and i guess they won't bother you with sending it back.
You now have 2 pairs of shoes for the price of 1
Be cute and send them a small package with goodies, nothing expensive. They might appreciate the intention, i sure would

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8716 on: September 13, 2023, 06:34:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Be cute and send them a small package with goodies, nothing expensive. They might appreciate the intention, i sure would
Or do them a solid and keep shopping there in the future, they've made good on the mistake and earned themselves a repeat customer.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #8717 on: September 13, 2023, 06:39:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Or do them a solid and keep shopping there in the future, they've made good on the mistake and earned themselves a repeat customer.
Yeah that’s the plan. The Andrew Reynolds 480 come out Friday and I’ll grab them from their shop.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8718 on: September 15, 2023, 12:01:08 PM »
Damn it, but also not damn it! I scored the last 11.5 from Premier of the Boss' NB# 480   ;D

Casually checked Slap (knowing they dropped today but also not focused on it) and thought why not? I know I'll want them since I'm a sucker for earth tones. Trying to not spend money, but it's fucking hard when bangers like these drop

Haven't tried 480s on yet but I'm 11.5 in most NB cupsoles I've had so far. Fingers crossed they are golden fit wise once they arrive.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8719 on: September 16, 2023, 07:04:48 PM »
Sean Young tshirt from Tobin Yelland's online store

Edit: also, Skate Jawn subscription
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 07:30:37 PM by Urtripping »

lazer69

• Rep: -96
« Reply #8720 on: September 17, 2023, 11:44:59 AM »
Just bought at a skate shop in Bulgaria, discounted heavily to the equivalent of $55. Which is a dick ton of money for local salaries. I lived in the states so it’s shocking to see most boards being over $80.

Skated it once so far. Feels pretty good.

https://imgur.com/a/4V3jPdV

Pics on here is not working

dj nipslip

« Reply #8721 on: September 18, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »

I was really stoked on this, that new palace vid is by far my favorite. Shit got a massive chip in the nose within 30 mins of skating.

neodragonlordx

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8722 on: September 18, 2023, 10:27:16 AM »
Bought a pair of éS Accel Slims bc someone said it was the worst skate shoe ever, and bought a pair of Etnies Marana Michelins bc someone said it's the best skate shoe ever. Really wanted to see how relevant other people's product reviews were to my skating. Though I can't wear them rn bc I'm out of town and I ordered the shoes back to my hometown. Returning in a few days tho, I'll see how it goes.
Certified No-Comply Overdoer

dj nipslip

« Reply #8723 on: September 18, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »
Bought a pair of éS Accel Slims bc someone said it was the worst skate shoe ever, and bought a pair of Etnies Marana Michelins bc someone said it's the best skate shoe ever. Really wanted to see how relevant other people's product reviews were to my skating. Though I can't wear them rn bc I'm out of town and I ordered the shoes back to my hometown. Returning in a few days tho, I'll see how it goes.

Interesting take from said person, I've never owned a pair of etnies before nor do I have any desire to. However, I'm pretty sure the marana and the accel slim are one in the same, unless I'm thinking of a different shoe. I had some accel slims and they were just okay, not a huge fan of soletech to begin with.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8724 on: September 18, 2023, 11:09:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting take from said person, I've never owned a pair of etnies before nor do I have any desire to. However, I'm pretty sure the marana and the accel slim are one in the same, unless I'm thinking of a different shoe. I had some accel slims and they were just okay, not a huge fan of soletech to begin with.
The Marana and Accel Slim are two completely different shoes. Marana has one of the strongest, most durable soles/uppers, while Accel Slim is one of the least durable soles/uppers.

Marana has michelin rubber so it wears super slowly, and the accel slim is pretty grippy but way too thin and flexible so it wears super fast. The suede is on the thinner side compared to the Marana. That take from the person suggesting them is pretty spot on. I've skated multiple pairs of both and that's my opinion as well.

Accel Slim:
Marana:
Super Champion Fun Zone

dj nipslip

« Reply #8725 on: September 18, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »
Kingdom of etnie
Battle in the forest of emerica against the DVS army

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #8726 on: September 18, 2023, 05:45:53 PM »
blown away that the Marana is being sold for $100+ on their website.
I remember it being much less ten years ago

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8727 on: September 18, 2023, 07:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The Marana and Accel Slim are two completely different shoes. Marana has one of the strongest, most durable soles/uppers, while Accel Slim is one of the least durable soles/uppers.

Marana has michelin rubber so it wears super slowly, and the accel slim is pretty grippy but way too thin and flexible so it wears super fast. The suede is on the thinner side compared to the Marana. That take from the person suggesting them is pretty spot on. I've skated multiple pairs of both and that's my opinion as well.

Accel Slim:
Marana:

You're right about them being on the opposite ends of the shoe spectrum. Accel Slims break in super fast but don't last as long, Michelin Marana's break in slowly because of the toe cap but the sole lasts forever. I go with the Swift 1.5 as the happy medium between them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dj nipslip

« Reply #8728 on: September 18, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »
Anyone tried the ali bugari or whatever his name is etnies shoe

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8729 on: September 18, 2023, 11:11:48 PM »
blown away that the Marana is being sold for $100+ on their website.
I remember it being much less ten years ago

It's fucked. Pre covid infliation they were $80 or $83 max BEFORE any clearance/sales. Joslins were $80 when they launched in 2018.

All of their models went up at minimum $10 :(

I'm thankful I've stocked up (sales and non-sales) of Marana and Joslins over the years so I'm bummed for others barely wanting to try them now and risking $100 on them if they can't get their size on sale before committing to more pairs if they like them
Super Champion Fun Zone