Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118910 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1380 on: September 24, 2021, 06:48:30 AM »
I dunno if this is unconsidered as unpopular here as it is in my peer group, but I don't get the Dylan Jaeb hype. And I'm genuinely trying to.

Yes, obviously he's very good at skating. But like, so are a million other kids on the Explore Page. But people talk about Dylan as if he's an all time great when all I see is him skating that same boring California skatepark. And of course the clips at that skatepark are very good but I don't get how he's already held at such a high regard and already sponsor hopping when he's put out nothing. And I don't wanna dog on him too hard cuz he's young and I'll gladly eat my words if/when he puts out actual footage that he worked hard for. And I'm assuming that's gonna happen seeing that he was at Pulaski/other places. But people act like I'm crazy for not considering him to be some kinda legend already. Then when I compare his clips to actual pros they're like "ohh lighten up it's just Instagram", but that's all he has. People love comparing him to top tier pros until it comes down to actually comparing their footage and I don't get it.
i feel like everyone is kissing ass ahead of the expected street part. his cult definitely treat him as if he is the chosen one of the generation, without any real footage.

not hating but its beyond me how anyone can care when 90% of the content is in that dusty ass skatepark
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1381 on: September 24, 2021, 06:56:19 AM »
Louie Barletta is fun to watch skate but isn’t funny. Most skaters that try to be comedians aren’t.

I also agree with Pops on most snarky things he says. I’d buy a Pops deck

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1382 on: September 24, 2021, 07:00:36 AM »
I always crack up at that noseblunt pose on the barrier in the Bag of Suck part.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1383 on: September 24, 2021, 07:09:46 AM »
Expand Quote
I dunno if this is unconsidered as unpopular here as it is in my peer group, but I don't get the Dylan Jaeb hype. And I'm genuinely trying to.

Yes, obviously he's very good at skating. But like, so are a million other kids on the Explore Page. But people talk about Dylan as if he's an all time great when all I see is him skating that same boring California skatepark. And of course the clips at that skatepark are very good but I don't get how he's already held at such a high regard and already sponsor hopping when he's put out nothing. And I don't wanna dog on him too hard cuz he's young and I'll gladly eat my words if/when he puts out actual footage that he worked hard for. And I'm assuming that's gonna happen seeing that he was at Pulaski/other places. But people act like I'm crazy for not considering him to be some kinda legend already. Then when I compare his clips to actual pros they're like "ohh lighten up it's just Instagram", but that's all he has. People love comparing him to top tier pros until it comes down to actually comparing their footage and I don't get it.
[close]
i feel like everyone is kissing ass ahead of the expected street part. his cult definitely treat him as if he is the chosen one of the generation, without any real footage.

not hating but its beyond me how anyone can care when 90% of the content is in that dusty ass skatepark

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm getting at! Like of course he's good at skating, but when people talk about him I feel like they've seen something I haven't.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #1384 on: September 24, 2021, 07:21:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm getting at! Like of course he's good at skating, but when people talk about him I feel like they've seen something I haven't.
He was at Pulaski with a bunch of DC Shoes Co. dudes. I imagine it was an east coast trip.

Will preface this by saying I'm old. But when dudes got out of the van it looked like all of them were well known skaters but just a little different/off. Kind of like this meme:

Seemed fine tho.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1385 on: September 24, 2021, 07:45:23 AM »
idk if hes still on zero boards but jamie thomas initially saw talent in him. good hardflips but hes just another boring cali kid who doesnt leave parks

Louie Barletta is fun to watch skate but isn’t funny. Most skaters that try to be comedians aren’t.

I also agree with Pops on most snarky things he says. I’d buy a Pops deck
yep

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1386 on: September 24, 2021, 09:45:48 AM »
I think having an entire team from a “big” skateboarding era can dilute a team. I still can’t get into a lot of the Girl/Chocolate pros of old because many of the videos are the same spots and some dudes do easier/sloppier shit and it just looks like throwaway from the other guys.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #1387 on: September 24, 2021, 09:58:49 AM »
Skateboarding in China sucks.
If the spots are perfect and you don't get kicked out why not just film at a skatepark. The main difference is only a few people have the time and money to go there.

Dumb opinion #2: it should only take a year max to film a video part. Just film shit you can actually do instead of spending a hundred hours trying to fluke a trick you'll only roll away from once.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1388 on: September 24, 2021, 03:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd imagine two things are happening;

-He is sandbagging footage and using that to get on teams he wants.
-Sponsors know that a 17 year old at that tier of skating is only going to go places and thus are thirsty accordingly.

I got no bark on the tree but I'm looking forward to that part.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1389 on: September 24, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
Bring back the academie to stop skate art

nothing's been the since same

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2253
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1390 on: September 24, 2021, 11:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think if you are over the age of 20 with no sponsors/connections but are still actively trying to make it in the skate industry you are pretty much fucked.
[close]

I had a friend who was similar to this. Was on flow for a few big brands really was insanely good, but still not good enough to make it. Dude tried until his early 30’s and gave up. Lost his identity and everything, very sad to watch.
[close]

no other career path?
[close]

Have kinda known some people like this. I guess it's hard to have a career if you're trying to make skating work. Constantly hurt or trying to travel you basically have to put all your eggs in one basket.
I don't know about 20 being the cutoff I think Jake Hayes went pro in his very late twenties and Gabriel summers was in his 30s. Altho I'd rather give up and take any job over doing what gabbers does
[close]

There are for sure exceptions but both of your examples had already made a decent name for themselves and were on very reputable companies long before going pro. I’m talkin fools who are maaaybe shop flow, maaaybe a weird smaller local board sponsor, but still think they’re gonna be a big name in the industry. They all do illegal ass fucking tricks too lmao
[close]

Exactly, using those few exceptions is like saying that because Alan Rickman, Samuel L Jackson, and Harrison Ford made it later in life that all hopeful actors should tough it out, because that could be them!

Overwhelmingly the main indicator of success in both acting and skateboarding is starting with some amount of privilege.  Usually that’s money so that you can afford to do more and you’re not worrying about making ends meet, sometimes it’s in who you happen to know. 

If you’ve been at it for around 5 years, not skating but like actually getting sponsored and trying to move up, and it’s not happening, it’s probably time to start seriously considering other options.
Harrison Ford was only 33 when Star Wars was released; is that really all that much “later in life?”
Maybe he was no spring chicken but he wasn’t exactly a stewing hen at that point either.
I take your point, though.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Brguy

« Reply #1391 on: September 24, 2021, 11:31:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think if you are over the age of 20 with no sponsors/connections but are still actively trying to make it in the skate industry you are pretty much fucked.
[close]

I had a friend who was similar to this. Was on flow for a few big brands really was insanely good, but still not good enough to make it. Dude tried until his early 30’s and gave up. Lost his identity and everything, very sad to watch.
[close]

no other career path?
[close]

Have kinda known some people like this. I guess it's hard to have a career if you're trying to make skating work. Constantly hurt or trying to travel you basically have to put all your eggs in one basket.
I don't know about 20 being the cutoff I think Jake Hayes went pro in his very late twenties and Gabriel summers was in his 30s. Altho I'd rather give up and take any job over doing what gabbers does
[close]

There are for sure exceptions but both of your examples had already made a decent name for themselves and were on very reputable companies long before going pro. I’m talkin fools who are maaaybe shop flow, maaaybe a weird smaller local board sponsor, but still think they’re gonna be a big name in the industry. They all do illegal ass fucking tricks too lmao
[close]

Exactly, using those few exceptions is like saying that because Alan Rickman, Samuel L Jackson, and Harrison Ford made it later in life that all hopeful actors should tough it out, because that could be them!

Overwhelmingly the main indicator of success in both acting and skateboarding is starting with some amount of privilege.  Usually that’s money so that you can afford to do more and you’re not worrying about making ends meet, sometimes it’s in who you happen to know. 

If you’ve been at it for around 5 years, not skating but like actually getting sponsored and trying to move up, and it’s not happening, it’s probably time to start seriously considering other options.
[close]
Harrison Ford was only 33 when Star Wars was released; is that really all that much “later in life?”
Maybe he was no spring chicken but he wasn’t exactly a stewing hen at that point either.
33 for a career defining move is nothing, he also had his fair share of movies before he got there, it isn't like he just popped out of nowhere.

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1392 on: September 25, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
33 for a career defining move is nothing, he also had his fair share of movies before he got there, it isn't like he just popped out of nowhere.

Ford was admittedly on the low end of the spectrum as far as people I mentioned, but all of those people had to have a second job while pursuing acting.  It wasn’t until later that they could support themselves on acting alone.  They’re exceptions though.

You surely can make a career move later in life, especially if you have money saved up to support the transition.  But if you’ve been at something for years and years and still can’t support yourself with that alone, statistically it just makes sense to stop pursuing that as a career because so few make it at that point.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1263
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1393 on: September 25, 2021, 07:34:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no other career path?
[close]

[close]

No nothing as a back up plan.

Yeah gabbers is an insane case. He looks like he is walking a tight rope between life and death. How long can you keep that up?
yeah and jake hayes was just beginning to get deathwish flow at 24

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1394 on: September 25, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
chet childress is sick

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1395 on: September 25, 2021, 07:55:24 AM »
more doo wop for street edits

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #1396 on: September 25, 2021, 08:20:03 AM »

Give me a part set to love walked in or the sun ain't gonna shine anymore

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1397 on: September 25, 2021, 11:48:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Give me a part set to love walked in or the sun ain't gonna shine anymore
Speaking of music in edits, does anybody know if that online data base of songs used in skate parts is still around?
I don’t know how to Google.  ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1398 on: September 25, 2021, 05:30:24 PM »
baggy pants dont look good on taller skaters
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #1399 on: September 25, 2021, 06:18:25 PM »

As a tall guy kinda gotta agree. I think it's a lot to do with shirts never being long enough. even if you keep getting bigger sizes they really just get wider and not really longer which then actually looks worse. Also if you're tall you probably have bigger feet so you don't get the same ratios as a shorter person

Cult Follower

• Rep: 3
  • front salad back salad front blunt
« Reply #1400 on: September 25, 2021, 11:56:33 PM »
Skateboarding in China sucks.
If the spots are perfect and you don't get kicked out why not just film at a skatepark. The main difference is only a few people have the time and money to go there.
+1
just these perfect spots, barely lived in, with no context and as much character as a tech deck park set. it just feels depressing.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
« Reply #1401 on: September 26, 2021, 03:24:16 AM »
@Lou Strux

skatevideosite.com

they're running some half baked version of what it used to be, recent jenkem intvw said they were working on an update overhaul which is supposed to go live sooner than later

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1402 on: September 26, 2021, 03:29:49 AM »
@Lou Strux

skatevideosite.com

they're running some half baked version of what it used to be, recent jenkem intvw said they were working on an update overhaul which is supposed to go live sooner than later
Shalo… I mean, “hey, thanks man!”
I appreciate you.

Cult Follower

• Rep: 3
  • front salad back salad front blunt
« Reply #1403 on: September 26, 2021, 03:38:50 AM »
skatevideosite's also got a more advanced site at skatevideo.site, but over there the data only goes up to December of 2019. and a status update from a couple weeks back

Brguy

« Reply #1404 on: September 26, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As a tall guy kinda gotta agree. I think it's a lot to do with shirts never being long enough. even if you keep getting bigger sizes they really just get wider and not really longer which then actually looks worse. Also if you're tall you probably have bigger feet so you don't get the same ratios as a shorter person
How tall and baggy are we talking about here? Because Ali Boulala and Reynolds looked really good on baggy pants, Figgy is taller and can pull it off sometimes.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1405 on: September 27, 2021, 06:51:31 AM »
phone quips. i dont even wanna check them til the next day

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1406 on: September 27, 2021, 07:04:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd imagine two things are happening;

-He is sandbagging footage and using that to get on teams he wants.
-Sponsors know that a 17 year old at that tier of skating is only going to go places and thus are thirsty accordingly.

I got no bark on the tree but I'm looking forward to that part.

This is likely true but people talk as if he's already done the work and I don't get it at all.

This is a bad comparison cuz they skate very differently, but I remember when Aurelien Girard finally dropped a real part people were surprised that it wasn't full of crazy NBDs and wild tech tricks like his park/contest clips had. Regardless if you like that sorta thing or not, it's a reminder that good park clips don't always translate well in the streets. I'm not saying that will be Dylan's case, but as of now there's very little frame of reference for what to expect. And again, I will gladly eat my words when that inevitable part drops.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #1407 on: September 27, 2021, 08:45:46 AM »
Nothing will ever convince me tech decks are cool

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1408 on: September 27, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Nothing will ever convince me tech decks are cool
Not even Lurpiv?

JamesFardy

• Rep: 60
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #1409 on: September 27, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
I love this thread for a lot of reasons, everyone brings something funny or unique to it. To give my most honest response to it, I think nyjah really did have lawyers reach out to @proskatebordingnews On Insta and helped shut it down. I’d love to know more about whoever this dude was. I imagine he lurks here. It seems like every time the nyjah thread gets brought up on here it gets buried pretty quick, but I may just be looking into it too much.