Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797487 times)

TwisT and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4830 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:57 AM »
How are the OJ elite hardlines (I believe that that's their conical shape) compared F4 conical shaped wheels? Are they worth trying out? I've been mostly riding F4s since they came out but I would like hear your experiences with OJs.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4831 on: April 06, 2022, 10:40:59 AM »
NFG got bought out by a big corporate conglomerate. The Wizard pulled up to Newark last night in an Aston Martin and a Gucci suit lighting a Cuban cigar with a stack of hundred dollar bills before sharing the news to everyone at the park. The wheels will soon be sold at Target and Walmart with some of the profits going to funding the military industrial complex.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4832 on: April 06, 2022, 11:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can anyone recommend a wheel make/model that really unlocked powerslides for them. My slides are unconfident, inconsistent and lackluster. I am generally skating plaza paving rather than smooth park crete. Running some wide loopholes atm.
[close]

Wheels aren't going to teach you technique, but if you just want the maximum of slipperiness get stf 103a/83b wheels.
And if that's not enough, try them out on wet ground. Stay safe
[close]
Definitely a technique issue, not equipment. Maybe check out some longboarder stuff on YouTube- those fools slide shit most skaters would consider impossible.
[close]
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaE5X4xlUNh/?utm_medium=copy_link
[close]

What a great vid. Thanks man.

yeah, that was pretty cool

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4833 on: April 06, 2022, 12:37:13 PM »
NFG got bought out by a big corporate conglomerate. The Wizard pulled up to Newark last night in an Aston Martin and a Gucci suit lighting a Cuban cigar with a stack of hundred dollar bills before sharing the news to everyone at the park. The wheels will soon be sold at Target and Walmart with some of the profits going to funding the military industrial complex.

had me sweatin’! site is back online, insta not so much

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4834 on: April 06, 2022, 03:22:33 PM »
They're back with pivot cups and BUSHINGS??

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4835 on: April 06, 2022, 04:08:24 PM »

The people I know who skate their wheels are also the people I know who change their bushings and buy Riptides, so honestly this is probably a killer idea.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4836 on: April 06, 2022, 04:57:50 PM »

I got a test set earlier this week which I set up and rode for the first time yesterday. So far they turn well, much better than the stock venture bushings I previously had in these 5.2 His I'm riding. I'll keep y'all posted on how I feel as they break in

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4837 on: April 06, 2022, 05:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The people I know who skate their wheels are also the people I know who change their bushings and buy Riptides, so honestly this is probably a killer idea.

accurate.
i love a happy ending, can't wait to try them bushings

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4838 on: April 07, 2022, 11:15:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

accurate.

This is cool news.

Anyone who has skated both the 52D and 95A, how insanely different are they? I've had the 52D, loved how durable they were and how well they handled crust/stop rocks (especially for how hard they are). With the 95s, are they much stickier or slower? Keen to try them but if I can't slide I feel like I may as well stick with keyframes for super crusty spots.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4839 on: April 07, 2022, 01:42:42 PM »

Before/after hitting NFG Vee 56mm with an angle grinder down to a 21mm contact patch. Not exactly even so they’re sorta like lock-ins…

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4840 on: April 07, 2022, 01:51:22 PM »

Before/after hitting NFG Vee 56mm with an angle grinder down to a 21mm contact patch. Not exactly even so they’re sorta like lock-ins…

Gnarred! They look rad. What was your process like with the angle grinder? I'm thinking about trying that for some old wheels. You might have any advice, where I can put my wheels on, so that they can spin and I try to get them even?
IG: @flowterspace

braksabbath

« Reply #4841 on: April 07, 2022, 02:02:00 PM »
I just did them on the board. Take the extra 5 seconds each to tighten the lock nut down like normal and not just finger tight or the whole wheel will move side to side, wear a mask to protect your money maker and your lungs, tighten the kingpin nut, push down more on the contact surface than the sides so that the wheels aren't freespinning at 11000rpm and not shaving material. I did none of the above  8)

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4842 on: April 07, 2022, 04:03:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

accurate.
[close]

This is cool news.

Anyone who has skated both the 52D and 95A, how insanely different are they? I've had the 52D, loved how durable they were and how well they handled crust/stop rocks (especially for how hard they are). With the 95s, are they much stickier or slower? Keen to try them but if I can't slide I feel like I may as well stick with keyframes for super crusty spots.

the 95a are definitely bit slower than the 52D (require a harder/another push), and they do grip a bit more depending on the situation but i'm still able to slide with them. it's not as easy obviously and technique might have to change, but you can do it with less effort than keyframes would require imo. also depends on whatever shape you're riding, but i found the square and vee to perform just fine

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4843 on: April 07, 2022, 04:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

accurate.
[close]

This is cool news.

[close]

the 95a are definitely bit slower than the 52D (require a harder/another push), and they do grip a bit more depending on the situation but i'm still able to slide with them. it's not as easy obviously and technique might have to change, but you can do it with less effort than keyframes would require imo. also depends on whatever shape you're riding, but i found the square and vee to perform just fine

Thanks. Thinking I may stick to the 52D, tried and true.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4844 on: April 07, 2022, 11:48:49 PM »
I just ordered some OJ SlimeBalls 97a.
Is there a huge difference between 99a and 97a? I do lots of tail / crail slides on transition and I am afraid that they won't slide as well

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4845 on: April 08, 2022, 01:18:55 AM »
I just ordered some OJ SlimeBalls 97a.
Is there a huge difference between 99a and 97a? I do lots of tail / crail slides on transition and I am afraid that they won't slide as well

I'm sure it depends on the company and their formula.

I can say for Spitfire F4, the 97a feels pretty different to me from 99a. They roll significantly better on crusty streets than 99a and have a different bounce to them. If you're looking to ride shitty terrain, its a must, but there is definitely going to be that trade off when park skating and skating smooth surfaces. But I definitely have issues power sliding with 97a, and they are noticeably slower on clean streets/parks.

If I were to guess, there will probably be a bit of a struggle on that type of slidey stuff. But it will also depend on shape and size/width of wheel too. As I understand it, a round wheel is going to tail slide more easily than a sharper wheel.

If you do a lot of skating at a clean park, you should probably stay at 99a+, but 97a shouldn't be bad. It will probably definitely take a bit more speed and concerted effort to slide them though.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4846 on: April 11, 2022, 10:37:03 AM »
Here’s a dumb question: what size wheels, beginner on transition?
I skate 52s on most setups, but I mainly skate ‘street’ (‘skating street’ sounds a lot fucking cooler than ‘I drive to a secluded parking lot with several boards and whimper while I try to land slow moving flip tricks from 25 years ago).
Jumping hurts the old body, even tiny jumps. I know ramps and bowls are not pain free by any means, but I’m trying to ride as long as possible, and I see old people doing it, I’m old, why not.
Blah blah blah: any wheel recommendations for scary concrete bowls? The local park is gnarly.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4847 on: April 11, 2022, 10:50:40 AM »
I skate 52s on most setups, but I mainly skate ‘street’ (‘skating street’ sounds a lot fucking cooler than ‘I drive to a secluded parking lot with several boards and whimper while I try to land slow moving flip tricks from 25 years ago).
Jumping hurts the old body, even tiny jumps. I know ramps and bowls are not pain free by any means, but I’m trying to ride as long as possible, and I see old people doing it, I’m old, why not.
Blah blah blah: any wheel recommendations for scary concrete bowls? The local park is gnarly.

I'd say get some Bones SPF in a 56mm+ size. Larger wheels keep their speed better, and the SPF formula really is the best I've ridden when it comes to skatepark concrete. I don't even use them much, but if I were one of those guys who lived in SoCal and had glass-smooth parks everywhere, they'd be my only wheel choice.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4848 on: April 11, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »
I been riding my 54mm bones v2? (Mullen sig) wheels again lately.

The sound on bricks is second to none and I’m surrounded by bricks.

Sometimes the sound my boards make is the most important thing to me. It takes me away from my pain and sorrow.

I’m having a tough time rn.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4849 on: April 11, 2022, 10:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say get some Bones SPF in a 56mm+ size. Larger wheels keep their speed better, and the SPF formula really is the best I've ridden when it comes to skatepark concrete. I don't even use them much, but if I were one of those guys who lived in SoCal and had glass-smooth parks everywhere, they'd be my only wheel choice.

Thanks! Kinda worried about going fast tbh, but those seem to be the recommended wheel for parks for sure.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4850 on: April 11, 2022, 11:00:12 AM »

Sometimes the sound my boards make is the most important thing to me. It takes me away from my pain and sorrow.

I totally agree about the sounds and vibrations. Brick is perfect. Takes me back to better times. To take this further, I think it’s why I often don’t like forged/hollow trucks, despite being a weenie, and maybe why I didn’t give my af-1s a long enough pull: the sound/feel felt wrong.

Thanks for sharing that you have having a tough go. I hope, and trust, that it will pass.
Peace and love

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4851 on: April 11, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks! Kinda worried about going fast tbh, but those seem to be the recommended wheel for parks for sure.

you could get the 81b instead of the 84b

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4852 on: April 11, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »

If you’re just learning transition, stay away from Bones SPF. They’re dangerously fast and not that grippy, so you will definitely eat shit more than necessary.

If you’re ok with green wheels, Speedlab Bombshells would be my recommendation. They’re 57mm and 99a, and a really nice balance between speed and grip. I rode them when I was learning to ride really big transition.

If green wheels are a no go, maybe go for some 99a OJ elites. They make a 58mm 99a in the hardline shape.

I ride Spitfire 58mm 99a OG Classics right now. They’re grippier than SPF, but I wouldn’t recommend them until you’re more comfortable skating transition.

Bottom line if you’re just learning, go with a 99a in the 56-58mm range from a respectable wheel brand. Also make sure you have some good bearings, a new set of reds at the very least. Get some Swiss 6 if you can afford them.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4853 on: April 11, 2022, 12:38:37 PM »
Thanks!! That’s great info.
Swiss 6 are easily the best bearings I’ve had. I find them less frequently at the shops I go to. Regular Swiss have been less good for me, last two sets of the regular Swiss aren’t bad, but not really all that exciting.

I’m definitely shook about the transition stuff, the park also doesn’t really have a…it just goes straight to fucked. So I’m
Basically gonna be creeping around the bottom for awhile. Gear definitely doesn’t matter all of the much, in my case, being so shit. For sure rather go slower and not slip out tho.

braksabbath

« Reply #4854 on: April 11, 2022, 12:55:39 PM »
Few ATV/transition pro's go bigger than 55-56mm. Keeping it less clunky and low to the ground and with minimal risers is nice.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #4855 on: April 11, 2022, 12:58:58 PM »
I have some Spitfire Lil' Smokies waiting to be skated but as long as I am skating this curb I just can't bring myself to get rid of the green Bones 100s.  :D

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4856 on: April 11, 2022, 01:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I totally agree about the sounds and vibrations. Brick is perfect. Takes me back to better times. To take this further, I think it’s why I often don’t like forged/hollow trucks, despite being a weenie, and maybe why I didn’t give my af-1s a long enough pull: the sound/feel felt wrong.

Thanks for sharing that you have having a tough go. I hope, and trust, that it will pass.
Peace and love
Peace love too
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4857 on: April 11, 2022, 02:07:01 PM »

You nailed it with that sentence, I can relate.

Keep your head up mate. We all love you. PMA
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4858 on: April 11, 2022, 02:14:02 PM »
Hollow axles and forged plates sound the worst

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4859 on: April 11, 2022, 02:19:04 PM »
Hollow axles and forged plates sound the worst
Ti Axles, forged plates with grip tape riser pads and freshly lubed ceramic bearings - it goes thud