Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797556 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6600 on: June 27, 2023, 11:48:28 PM »
Spitfire 97s vs. Bones X-Formula 97: opinions, differences, tips?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #6601 on: June 28, 2023, 04:06:22 PM »
Cross post from the Bones X series thread since I figure it would.be appreciated here too.

Bones X99 first session thoughts:

The air quality here in Pittsburgh is fucked today so didn't exactly skate too hard but these wheels are great. They don't feel like Bones wheels to me which is a huge compliment.

I took a board with F4 Radials 53mm and X99 53mm V5 to the same spot. Smooth concrete the roll is very close to F4 maybe slightly better. Unscientific test 1 push same starting spot, both on Quantum Atoms. X99 rolled maybe about a foot more on average.

Small hill starting at the same spot on rough asphalt no pushing the X99 went way further like 8 feet further.

Lastly rolling wise on the same street I pushed first on F4s about 100 yards down and back. Immediately hopped on the X99s and went "oh shit" . They didn't make the F4s feel awful or super slow but it was VERY noticable how much more speed I carried and had to push less.

Power slides and reverts on smooth ground ever so slightly stickier than F4s but these are brand new so that could change.

Power slides/reverts on rough ground X99 slid better.

Ollies/flip tricks felt the same besides being lighter because thinner wheels. They bounce every so slightly less on throw downs and landings than F4s

Didn't do much grind/slide wise but I didn't stick on 50/50 on a not very waxed bench.  And a few slappy nose slides on a sticky not waxed at all curb slid a few inches. Both felt the same to me there but that's clearly not a lot of grind/slide testing.

Definitely excited to try these at the DIY and a smooth park here soon. First impressions are stellar F4s have some very serious competition I think.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6602 on: June 28, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »
i would think they arent comparable but fuck it
how do the X99s stand up to X97s?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rikki

« Reply #6603 on: June 28, 2023, 11:40:24 PM »
Cross post from the Bones X series thread since I figure it would.be appreciated here too.

Bones X99 first session thoughts:

The air quality here in Pittsburgh is fucked today so didn't exactly skate too hard but these wheels are great. They don't feel like Bones wheels to me which is a huge compliment.

I took a board with F4 Radials 53mm and X99 53mm V5 to the same spot. Smooth concrete the roll is very close to F4 maybe slightly better. Unscientific test 1 push same starting spot, both on Quantum Atoms. X99 rolled maybe about a foot more on average.

Small hill starting at the same spot on rough asphalt no pushing the X99 went way further like 8 feet further.

Lastly rolling wise on the same street I pushed first on F4s about 100 yards down and back. Immediately hopped on the X99s and went "oh shit" . They didn't make the F4s feel awful or super slow but it was VERY noticable how much more speed I carried and had to push less.

Power slides and reverts on smooth ground ever so slightly stickier than F4s but these are brand new so that could change.

Power slides/reverts on rough ground X99 slid better.

Ollies/flip tricks felt the same besides being lighter because thinner wheels. They bounce every so slightly less on throw downs and landings than F4s

Didn't do much grind/slide wise but I didn't stick on 50/50 on a not very waxed bench.  And a few slappy nose slides on a sticky not waxed at all curb slid a few inches. Both felt the same to me there but that's clearly not a lot of grind/slide testing.

Definitely excited to try these at the DIY and a smooth park here soon. First impressions are stellar F4s have some very serious competition I think.

Good insight, thanks.

rikki

« Reply #6604 on: June 28, 2023, 11:41:22 PM »

I'm interested in this comparison as well.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6605 on: June 28, 2023, 11:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm interested in this comparison as well.

My x99 arrive tomorrow, I’ll check back in.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6606 on: June 29, 2023, 05:52:01 PM »
Has anyone tried those Spitfire Sapphires yet? I’m curious if they slide or not. I’m guessing they don’t but it would be pretty rad if they do.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6607 on: June 29, 2023, 05:55:55 PM »
Wondering the same. And just overall feel

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6608 on: July 01, 2023, 05:14:30 AM »
Finally got around to skating the new 99a loopholes. After the tread wore off and they were nice and broken in, they performed beyond my expectations, for sure. Grippy and controllable where I need them and a nice easy loud chirping powerslide. And I was flying fast as fuck for them only being 54mm.

Honestly, I like these better than the NFG formula. NFG's really turned sluggish and slow on me after awhile, and I noticed the ones I have sitting in my junk box are just horribly aged fraying potatoes.

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #6609 on: July 01, 2023, 08:38:18 AM »
I have both. I have two setups. I prefer the Bones X97s.

The X97s are faster on rough ground and powerslide better, but they don't feel as fun at a smooth park and I've slipped out a few times on them when I didn't want to slide. They feel like a harder Dragon if you've tried those.

The Spitfire 97s feel like a slightly softer Spitfire 99. I would recommend the Spitfire 97s if you're skating smooth parks and want more grip.

Both wheels will do crooked grinds if you bring wax. Both wheels will have you bringing wax.

rikki

« Reply #6610 on: July 01, 2023, 11:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The X97s are faster on rough ground and powerslide better, but they don't feel as fun at a smooth park and I've slipped out a few times on them when I didn't want to slide. They feel like a harder Dragon if you've tried those.

The Spitfire 97s feel like a slightly softer Spitfire 99. I would recommend the Spitfire 97s if you're skating smooth parks and want more grip.

Both wheels will do crooked grinds if you bring wax. Both wheels will have you bringing wax.

Thank you! Yes, I've skated the Dragons for a while now on rough ground and really like them. But I don't enjoy the stickiness to metal coping on transition. I would imagine the X97s would perform better with metal coping/ledges.

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6611 on: July 02, 2023, 11:57:50 AM »
Got some more time on the Spit 97s. I have to agree, they feel kinda slow, but they smoothen things a little bit. Not sure if that sluggish feel will wear out as the urethane hardens over time. I was skating on quite smooth and a bit crustier asphalt. I often felt like I wanna go faster but the wheels are holding me back. I tried my Super Juices on same flat and they rolled so damn well.  What I liked was the feeling of slightly smoother ride on crusty spots (compared to 99s) and feeling of control when doing powerslides. Not sure if I like the weels or not but first impression is kinda shallow.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6612 on: July 02, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thank you! Yes, I've skated the Dragons for a while now on rough ground and really like them. But I don't enjoy the stickiness to metal coping on transition. I would imagine the X97s would perform better with metal coping/ledges.

Dragons>X97>x99

They only work better as they get harder and you lose very little on rough terrain compared to what you gain.

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6613 on: July 02, 2023, 04:59:28 PM »
spitfire sapphires, my 2 cents: probably not dlx's answer to dragons, or anything like a 90a f4 might be; closer to the old slow/dead soft d's (maybe a little faster/smoother), but pretty much zero slide, so gummy.  i would rate them below ricta cored clouds 92a, oj/slimeballs non-nomad 95a, and sml 92a (and dragons, though they sometimes slide when i don't want them to, and now i can't seem to get a set that doesn't have at least two wobbly wheels).  (caveats: all 56mm; it's about 80f here, and i'm old, tall/heavy, and only skate crusty midwestern streets/spots, no skateparks.)

jkadams

« Reply #6614 on: July 02, 2023, 05:12:51 PM »
@logjammin (or anyone) have you skated the new 99a loopholes on rough streets/spots?  if so, how do they compare to other wheels (fairly typical 99a feeling, or softer/harder feeling)?

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6615 on: July 02, 2023, 07:07:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Dragons>X97>x99

They only work better as they get harder and you lose very little on rough terrain compared to what you gain.

Do tell! What do you think of the 99's?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:22:55 PM by Samsquantch »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #6616 on: July 02, 2023, 07:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Dragons>X97>x99

[close]

Do tell!

The logic of the above statement would indicate dragons <x97<x99 if they work better at a harder durometer. Am I confused?

Samsquantch

« Reply #6617 on: July 02, 2023, 07:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Dragons>X97>x99

[close]

Do tell!
[close]

The logic of the above statement would indicate dragons <x97<x99 if they work better at a harder durometer. Am I confused?

Yes. Would like to hear more about the X99's that he just received and why they he feels they are better. Edited for clarity.

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6618 on: July 03, 2023, 08:48:50 AM »
My current wheel journey.

F4 classic 99a 53mm
Good at the perfect smooth skatepark and nice asphalt, but I basically have to walk between spots. Anything crusty and they grind to a halt. Considering most of my streets are crust I wanted to try something else.

Ricta cored clouds 54mm 86a.
Ride over all crust and cracks easily, kinda slow on perfect ground though, very bouncy. Wasn't really feeling it and the GF needed new wheels so she rides these now and enjoys them since she barely has to push.

F4 conical full 97a 54mm
Very nice, still slide, handles crust better than the 99a, not as slow as the Ricta, but some spots are still too rough. I could be happy skating these but wish they were a bit better on crust.

Dragon 93a V4 54mm
These were on sale at local shop so I had to jump on them. Wow, destroys crust, spots that I had to constant push through on the 97a Spitfires feel like normal asphalt. Less vibrations. Rough patches that would lurch me forward before are barely noticeable. I'm very impressed. Only one session so far so I am waiting to break them in before sliding. The 97a handle big cracks slightly better but that is probably due to surface area. They are a bit slower on perfect ground but significantly faster on everything else. Even pushing is easier, like there is less resistance. They are quieter, but not silent like Ricta. Nothing more to say other than they are really really good so far. Graphics are lame tho.

I'm not sure if I even need x97 or x99, If these slide as good as 97a spitfire or better then I am probably good. Wish they made them a bit chunkier, I really like the conical full shape.

Samsquantch

« Reply #6619 on: July 03, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »
My current wheel journey.

F4 classic 99a 53mm
Good at the perfect smooth skatepark and nice asphalt, but I basically have to walk between spots. Anything crusty and they grind to a halt. Considering most of my streets are crust I wanted to try something else.

Ricta cored clouds 54mm 86a.
Ride over all crust and cracks easily, kinda slow on perfect ground though, very bouncy. Wasn't really feeling it and the GF needed new wheels so she rides these now and enjoys them since she barely has to push.

F4 conical full 97a 54mm
Very nice, still slide, handles crust better than the 99a, not as slow as the Ricta, but some spots are still too rough. I could be happy skating these but wish they were a bit better on crust.

Dragon 93a V4 54mm
These were on sale at local shop so I had to jump on them. Wow, destroys crust, spots that I had to constant push through on the 97a Spitfires feel like normal asphalt. Less vibrations. Rough patches that would lurch me forward before are barely noticeable. I'm very impressed. Only one session so far so I am waiting to break them in before sliding. The 97a handle big cracks slightly better but that is probably due to surface area. They are a bit slower on perfect ground but significantly faster on everything else. Even pushing is easier, like there is less resistance. They are quieter, but not silent like Ricta. Nothing more to say other than they are really really good so far. Graphics are lame tho.

I'm not sure if I even need x97 or x99, If these slide as good as 97a spitfire or better then I am probably good. Wish they made them a bit chunkier, I really like the conical full shape.

Dragons slide really easy. Weirdly I find they slide a bit easier than X97's.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6620 on: July 03, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would want to skate dragons/x formula on anything but crust, there are much better softer than 101/99a options (spit 97s) for softer wheels on smooth surfaces.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 12:27:44 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #6621 on: July 03, 2023, 02:16:47 PM »
spitfire sapphires, my 2 cents: probably not dlx's answer to dragons, or anything like a 90a f4 might be; closer to the old slow/dead soft d's (maybe a little faster/smoother), but pretty much zero slide, so gummy.  i would rate them below ricta cored clouds 92a, oj/slimeballs non-nomad 95a, and sml 92a (and dragons, though they sometimes slide when i don't want them to, and now i can't seem to get a set that doesn't have at least two wobbly wheels).  (caveats: all 56mm; it's about 80f here, and i'm old, tall/heavy, and only skate crusty midwestern streets/spots, no skateparks.)

appreciate the review. how long have you been riding them for? i've been on some 80Hds recently and wasn't digging them until they were really broken in properly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:23:16 PM by Frank and Fred »

jkadams

« Reply #6622 on: July 03, 2023, 05:58:26 PM »
@Frank and Fred a few sessions, approx 4 hrs total.  (considering my age and the long winters here, 2-3 sessions spent testing product that doesn't seem promising already feels like a waste.)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6623 on: July 04, 2023, 12:04:51 AM »
Finally got around to skating the new 99a loopholes. After the tread wore off and they were nice and broken in, they performed beyond my expectations, for sure. Grippy and controllable where I need them and a nice easy loud chirping powerslide. And I was flying fast as fuck for them only being 54mm.

Honestly, I like these better than the NFG formula. NFG's really turned sluggish and slow on me after awhile, and I noticed the ones I have sitting in my junk box are just horribly aged fraying potatoes.
interesting 🤔 I love my NFGs the more crusty they get, I should have replaced some teardrops like a board or so ago, but can’t get enough of them! (Guess that’s a good thing in my case since I have 10 sets on ice)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6624 on: July 05, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
These 97a 52mm Nano-Cubics from Powell look pretty cool.
They’ve got a fat radius on the edge for rolling up stuff (or for doing weird Andy Anderson Activities) and are offset outwards so the axles don’t poke out.
They’re wide, small, and according to AA they allow for more grind space on the truck due to the offset.
They’re “a harder Dragon Formula”

Also those are some wild lookin trucks…but that’s for another thread.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6625 on: July 05, 2023, 11:18:51 AM »
These 97a 52mm Nano-Cubics from Powell look pretty cool.
They’ve got a fat radius on the edge for rolling up stuff (or for doing weird Andy Anderson Activities) and are offset outwards so the axles don’t poke out.
They’re wide, small, and according to AA they allow for more grind space on the truck due to the offset.
They’re “a harder Dragon Formula”

Also those are some wild lookin trucks…but that’s for another thread.

Here's the video of && taking about it

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6626 on: July 05, 2023, 02:54:23 PM »
I know this is the wheels thread, but those are the worst trucks I've ever seen
fuck you bama

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #6627 on: July 05, 2023, 03:07:33 PM »

Looks like they are machined, probably samples testing certain geo?

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6628 on: July 05, 2023, 03:13:13 PM »

They looks like something my nephew would make in Minecraft. What are they?

One word comes to mind when I look at those wheels, heavy.

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6629 on: July 05, 2023, 03:23:30 PM »
definitely prototypes it would be cool if they was american made powell trucks tho instead of the china mini logo stuff